Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Plus she can apparently project her image elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New comic!

I guess that resolves all apparent logical conflicts regarding how her anomaly works, when it is an unknown source arbitrarily deciding what can and cannot affect her body according to some seemingly human-like idea of what is harmful and what isn't.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Slashrat posted:

New comic!

I guess that resolves all apparent logical conflicts regarding how her anomaly works, when it is an unknown source arbitrarily deciding what can and cannot affect her body according to some seemingly human-like idea of what is harmful and what isn't.

Turns out she's actually protected by g-g-g-g-ghosts!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda reminds me of the character "Amber" from PS238. She was basically invulnerable as well by virtue of having a literal guardian spirit that blocked any attempt to harm her.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slashrat posted:

I kinda reminds me of the character "Amber" from PS238. She was basically invulnerable as well by virtue of having a literal guardian spirit that blocked any attempt to harm her.

And one time something temporarily weakened this invisible protector and she caught a cold that nearly killed her because her natural immune system is pretty crap and the guardian spirit had recovered by then and was actively "protecting" her against medical drugs..

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Turns out she's actually protected by g-g-g-g-dead guys!

Fixed that for you.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Holy poo poo, I just figured it out. I just realized why Alison is being so cagey here.

She doesn't know if Moonshadow is killing people on government orders.

That's why she's so interested in what the government knows, that's why she wants to know if they've confronted her. And what they're saying just feeds into her fears, because she knows Mary was at the scene, so if she's being told, "Oh, we checked her out, she's good" then she has to believe they're covering for her. And that means (In her mind) that the government is using Mary as an assassin. Which would seemingly corroborate Patrick's whole spiel about how the government uses biodynamics for their own purposes, and kills people that get on it's bad side.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Captain Bravo posted:

Holy poo poo, I just figured it out. I just realized why Alison is being so cagey here.

That's why she's so interested in what the government knows, that's why she wants to know if they've confronted her. And what they're saying just feeds into her fears, because she knows Mary was at the scene, so if she's being told, "Oh, we checked her out, she's good" then she has to believe they're covering for her. And that means (In her mind) that the government is using Mary as an assassin. Which would seemingly corroborate Patrick's whole spiel about how the government uses biodynamics for their own purposes, and kills people that get on it's bad side.

If that is the case it will be interesting to see why the government is killing seemingly unconnected civilian rapists. Especially when the marine corp exists. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Captain Bravo posted:

Holy poo poo. Wow, I was not thinking of it that way, but holy poo poo. And she's basically had a conversation that would completely confirm that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Trast posted:

If that is the case it will be interesting to see why the government is killing seemingly unconnected civilian rapists. Especially when the marine corp exists. :v:

That was my thought too. There would be simpler ways to eliminate each perpetrator without leaving the obvious calling card of "invisible slasher".
My best guess is that if the government is involved, it's a plan to stir up anti-biodynamic sentiments and get some legislation passed to put tighter restrictions on biodynamic rights. But that doesn't seem to mesh with anything else in the current plot minus the new rules regarding biodynamics like Paladin mentioned in the beginning of the chapter.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Could be she's employed to kill people by the government but is also doing it on the side for the rush/personal satisfaction/because she's too far gone/etc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be she's employed to kill people by the government but is also doing it on the side for the rush/personal satisfaction/because she's too far gone/etc.

I like that angle better. And it would explain why the government might be covering for her. It would probably look bad if the public found out that one of their heroic icons was performing government wetwork.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

thebardyspoon posted:

She made a point of saying she's not getting paid for this. And if Moonshadow was acting under the government's direction, wouldn't she be getting targets from them instead of meeting people in barns or watching the news? For that matter, wouldn't she have just made them, literally, disappear instead of trying to send a message? (It may still possible Moonshadow has some sort of legal aegis--the government sponsored the Guardians' activity and everything, and even though the Guardians haven't been an active entity she made still have a lot of latitude and discretion--but it wouldn't make sense on either a thematic or factual level for this to be some kind of X-Files conspiracy.)

Anyway, the way Alison's acting doesn't really add up to "discreetly trying to gather information." Her body language is nervous, not cagey, and her line of inquiry would probably be more general than leading straight to Moonshadow. (And why would her doctor be in on a murder conspiracy, anyway? That's the kind of thing you'd want to compartmentalize.)

Her relationship with Rosenblum is one of trust--in this scene, she knows the truth, but she feels guilty about hiding it. She knows revealing that it's Moonshadow is the right thing to do, but she doesn't even want to acknowledge it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Come on. Moonshadow's not employed by the government as an assassin. We know that. What Captain Bravo said is that Allison might, maybe, think that Moonshadow is.

The gov't might be covering up or downplaying their knowledge for damage control and pr reasons, sure, but her actions are pretty clearly unsanctioned, and it's pretty silly to pull in a "she's a secret assassin using her super hero identity as cover, but she's gone rogue!" based off some goon's idle speculation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Come on. Moonshadow's not employed by the government as an assassin. We know that.
Where did we learn that again? I thought the DEA had approached the Guardians but we don't know if Moonshadow actually refused them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Where did we learn that again? I thought the DEA had approached the Guardians but we don't know if Moonshadow actually refused them.

She's worked for the government yea, as a part of the super hero team which led to some shady stuff in the later years, but there's zero reason for us, the audience, to make the jump to 'goverment-sanctioned assassin' because there's no proof or anything in the comic to suggest that Moonshadow has been working as such. There's enough circumstantial evidence that might lead Allison (who doesn't know as much as we do) to suspect that as Captain Bravo pointed out, but trying to fit Moonshadow's rampage into a framework where these are government targets isn't going to work.

Now, is it possible that she did assassination work 'behind the scenes' as a Guardian, before going rogue? Sure, I guess. Nothing ruling it out. But there's also nothing to lead us to that conclusion, so, you know, let's not invent stuff before there's reason to?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

No, I'm not saying that Moonshadow is working for the government.

I'm saying that Alison thinks she is working for the government.

As omniscient narrators, we know that Mary is doing this on her own, we know that she's just gone unhinged, and is no longer working for Uncle Sam.

But all Alison knows is that her previous teammate, who was not homicidal, continued working for the government after she left. She also knows that the government started sending them on missions no longer dealing with Biodynamics, but on more mundane poo poo. Then the guardians are disbanded, all of a sudden this invisible slasher appears, and the government doctor is telling her the woman she knows is doing it, can't be the one responsible.

There's a bunch of different ways she could think about this. Maybe the government is trying to stir up another biodynamic scare so they can reinstate the guardians? Maybe they're testing out their new invisible assassin? Maybe they're setting up previous invisible slasher kills so they can justify their next hit on a government target? Patrick has already filled her head with the idea that their government does some shady, underhanded poo poo with biodynamics. She's seen some of the ugly side of that already, and she knows that things got worse when she left.

It's like a Magic Eye puzzle. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Bravo posted:

No, I'm not saying that Moonshadow is working for the government.

I'm saying that Alison thinks she is working for the government.

As omniscient narrators, we know that Mary is doing this on her own, we know that she's just gone unhinged, and is no longer working for Uncle Sam.

But all Alison knows is that her previous teammate, who was not homicidal, continued working for the government after she left. She also knows that the government started sending them on missions no longer dealing with Biodynamics, but on more mundane poo poo. Then the guardians are disbanded, all of a sudden this invisible slasher appears, and the government doctor is telling her the woman she knows is doing it, can't be the one responsible.

There's a bunch of different ways she could think about this. Maybe the government is trying to stir up another biodynamic scare so they can reinstate the guardians? Maybe they're testing out their new invisible assassin? Maybe they're setting up previous invisible slasher kills so they can justify their next hit on a government target? Patrick has already filled her head with the idea that their government does some shady, underhanded poo poo with biodynamics. She's seen some of the ugly side of that already, and she knows that things got worse when she left.

It's like a Magic Eye puzzle. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

The one objection I would raise is that Patrick's conversation with Alison never once suggested "the government" was responsible for the targeted killings he uncovered, per se.

Which would be appropriate since biodynamism is a transnational phenomena. We're probably talking about an independent group here, not just "THE US GOVERNMENT" and I think Alison knows that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Oblivious posted:

The one objection I would raise is that Patrick's conversation with Alison never once suggested "the government" was responsible for the targeted killings he uncovered, per se.

Which would be appropriate since biodynamism is a transnational phenomena. We're probably talking about an independent group here, not just "THE US GOVERNMENT" and I think Alison knows that.
Replace "The US Government" with a generic "THEY :tinfoil:", and the theory still works.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

She's worked for the government yea, as a part of the super hero team which led to some shady stuff in the later years, but there's zero reason for us, the audience, to make the jump to 'goverment-sanctioned assassin' because there's no proof or anything in the comic to suggest that Moonshadow has been working as such. There's enough circumstantial evidence that might lead Allison (who doesn't know as much as we do) to suspect that as Captain Bravo pointed out, but trying to fit Moonshadow's rampage into a framework where these are government targets isn't going to work.

Now, is it possible that she did assassination work 'behind the scenes' as a Guardian, before going rogue? Sure, I guess. Nothing ruling it out. But there's also nothing to lead us to that conclusion, so, you know, let's not invent stuff before there's reason to?

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination, I just think that there is a third party at play here providing her with protection at best. Or maybe the paranoia has finally set in.
It stands to reason that somehow Moonshadow has an alibi for the current crime, or at least Dr. Rosenblum is leading Allison to believe that for whatever reason. Now as far as the government employing Moonshadow, that might be a little far-fetched. All of her killings so far haven't been anything that would require vast resources (with the exception of the barn incident which is still plausible given Moonshadow's background); and seem to be very personal acts since she is focusing on a specific crime with a very specific criteria (Highly publicized rapists who don't get convicted).

I'll just parrot Poisonous Mushroom and say you can replace "government" with "they" and it's still the same effect.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination

Really? That's what you thought I was saying? That Moonshadow is about to stab the president? Christ, D- for reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Really? That's what you thought I was saying? That Moonshadow is about to stab the president? Christ, D- for reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Might want to see who I was responding to before you hand out report cards.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At least you're not arguing with a guy who unironically compared Allison to Hitler

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Allison is being coy because Moonshadow is her friend and after being slandered herself she's in no rush to accuse anything.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I don't follow the theory that Moonshadow is building up to some political assassination, I just think that there is a third party at play here providing her with protection at best. Or maybe the paranoia has finally set in.
It stands to reason that somehow Moonshadow has an alibi for the current crime, or at least Dr. Rosenblum is leading Allison to believe that for whatever reason. Now as far as the government employing Moonshadow, that might be a little far-fetched. All of her killings so far haven't been anything that would require vast resources (with the exception of the barn incident which is still plausible given Moonshadow's background); and seem to be very personal acts since she is focusing on a specific crime with a very specific criteria (Highly publicized rapists who don't get convicted).

I'll just parrot Poisonous Mushroom and say you can replace "government" with "they" and it's still the same effect.

I... I think we might be arguing past each other here, but for clarity:

Moonshadow's killings are done individually. She is not working for or doing them at anyone's behest other than her own. She is still official a Guardian and that gives her resources she wouldn't otherwise have, though.

Moonshadow is escalating- she's gone from teens to judges to para-military to getting involved with Allison (although back to teen/young adult there). I suppose all her murders have a political component to them, but maybe she'll go after a more prominent public figure/one who doesn't actually have skeletons in their closet(/Allison). Whatever the case it is, again, based off Moonshadow's beliefs, not anyone else's.

The discussion of government versus 'they' is in regards to the killings of various biodynamics with world changing powers that Patrick discovered. Nothing to do with Moonshadow or the current situation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
New comic

"Invent a way to get everyone off this planet" seems like a perfectly reasonable precaution in case Allison snaps. She can't fly, and she's unlikely to reinvent space travel with her focus on studying the humanities.

Anyway, good on her for voicing her concerns rather than keeping silent. The doctor seems trustworthy enough at any rate, even if the government turns out to be involved (though that probably just means we're in for the inevitable shocking betrayal).

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Really though, they would just get that Ignominio guy to levitate her while hiding behind Cleaver, and then figure it out from there.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Even escaping the planet won't work for everyone if she's snapped hard enough that "get the gently caress out of here" is literally their only choice.

She can't fly, but I'm pretty sure she can throw a pebble faster than a howitzer shell.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She has to eat, sleep and breathe , no? Just pour molten steel over her, then dump that block in the Marianas trench. At the very least, it'll buy you enough time to work on a more permanent solution.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd love to see the tactical workup for that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The alt-text is on point as usual.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

nimby posted:

She has to eat, sleep and breathe , no? Just pour molten steel over her, then dump that block in the Marianas trench. At the very least, it'll buy you enough time to work on a more permanent solution.
Of course, you've also trained in her the tactical acumen to detect such a massive trap and she has, thanks to you, years of combat experience that allow her to quickly adapt to a rapidly evolving combat environment.

The U.S. government probably has a dozen plans in place for what to do if Alison went on a genocidal rampage and they all probably start with "Step 1: Find God."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
solution to the genocidal allison problem:

1) build enormous hidden catapult
2) lure allison into the flingy part
3) launch her into orbit

all the super strength in the world won't slow you down if you're already hurtling through the atmosphere/space

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Hulk is strong enough to swim through space

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If her body responds to damage by increasing its defenses, wouldn't her hair be the most indestructible stuff possible by now?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

EoRaptor posted:

If her body responds to damage by increasing its defenses, wouldn't her hair be the most indestructible stuff possible by now?

No, because it only does that sometimes. Her toughness is basically magic, because it has all the exceptions that you would need to live as a normal person like "can cut hair and nails" and "can digest food."

EDIT:

/looks at today's strip

/apparently not

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 10, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New comic's up, by the way.

I wonder if that freeze-and-buzz technique would work on her skin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I would hazard a guess that it only works because hair is dead matter. The same technique might maker her skin a bit red.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
What has been suggested a couple of times is that her power is controlled by her autonomic system (or some superhero analogue). So the reason her hair can be cut (with difficulty) is that her system recognizes that it ought to be able to be removed and, on some level, she wants it to be removable. I wonder how automatic this actually is; would she become less invincible if she were suicidal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Assuming a direct analogy to the autonomic system, probably not significantly so--a depressed person's heart rate and other vital signs will be different, but they won't just keel over.

I don't think it's necessarily that her powers "want" her hair to be removed--it's been established that different parts of her body have different compositions (like how Cleaver was able to cut her skin but not her skull), so it may just be that her hair is weaker than the rest of her. Or maybe freezing her skin could make her more vulnerable too, in which case she's putting an even bigger amount of trust in Rosenblum here than it seems.

Which, even if that's not literally what is happening, is why I think they're having the doctor cut her hair instead of a professional hair dresser. Rosenblum's her therapist, so this is just another way to build rapport and intimacy between them.

• Locked thread