Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don't mind digging, what I really want is a fast way to go up. Vertical skyrails, elevators, something to pull the grappling hook up, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I don't mind digging, what I really want is a fast way to go up. Vertical skyrails, elevators, something to pull the grappling hook up, whatever.

I dig vertical shafts and then jump back up them while placing a dirt block below me. It's actually pretty fast.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I save and quit because uuuuuuuuuugh.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The scaling pixel compressor loss is an awesome idea. You're incentivized for collecting lots of pixels and rewarded for not dying. This is how it should be ITT.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I thought you'd quoted the wrong thing, but nope it's just the really annoying thing where mod authors throw in stuff completely unrelated to the mod premise just cause instead of making separate mods.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zeron posted:

I thought you'd quoted the wrong thing, but nope it's just the really annoying thing where mod authors throw in stuff completely unrelated to the mod premise just cause instead of making separate mods.

Yeah I hate this sort of thing too, it's how really dumb modding arguments begin (Gategate anyone?). The idea is awesome though.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Wow, the combat would be a lot better in this version if monsters weren't everywhere and still did the stupid/annoying rush attack, and if the bosses/related levels weren't loving awful.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Zeron posted:

They are separate, actually. They're distributed in the same zip, for some reason, but have separate mod folders.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

Wow, the combat would be a lot better in this version if monsters weren't everywhere and still did the stupid/annoying rush attack, and if the bosses/related levels weren't loving awful.

Their claims of nerfing birds were true at least. So far, no birds spamming multishot projectiles dealing 1/3 your health per hit every 30 feet. Improvement! :downs:

But yeah. The boss/related level stuff is pretty screwy. While the lunar base enemies can dish out some pain and a single spray can guardcrush you (don't backstep! you'll just get hit TWICE by the attack :downs:), and then dealing with invisible attacks hitting you in the third phase, Second "boss" The penguins on foot and in tanks are still a complete pushover who die in a single hit and can barely harm you even with said tanks and rocket launchers. Old stable when the UFO was the first boss just highlighted how bonkers enemy damage was when you would go from laughing at the futility of the pengin spawns attempts to hurt you, to screaming in horror as a randomly generated "You started the game on this world" Tier monster wandered in and then smashed off half your health in a single deathtouch hit, or outright killed you from full health with a multiprojectile attack.

I may be slightly exaggerating, I think it took at least two multistream projectile attacks while wearing armor on your starter world, since the first would only ALMOST kill you.

EDIT: vvv No, everyone has just developed very selective X-ray vision :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Inverness posted:

That's silly. It's just a flashlight. It shouldn't require anything but what other lights do.

Other flashlights don't use quantum something something photonic flux something to shine flashlight beams through solid matter, the better to locate ore and passages :colbert:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Other flashlights don't use quantum something something photonic flux something to shine flashlight beams through solid matter, the better to locate ore and passages :colbert:
That actually makes sense. :pseudo: Objection withdrawn.

Also, this makes me believe it should do low amounts of damage to any enemies it shines on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JerikTelorian posted:

The scaling pixel compressor loss is an awesome idea. You're incentivized for collecting lots of pixels and rewarded for not dying. This is how it should be ITT.

The fact that the highest is a 20% loss makes it foolish to ever carry pixels for any amount of time. I like the current system where it costs more to safely store pixels than it does to lose them when you die.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea but you don't really USE pixels for anything. I mean, you use 100 to make a nano-bandage, and you can print decorative items for a bunch, but other than that? I guess buying cooking ingredients, but those aren't really expensive either. Most shops sell absolute crap, so you're only getting cosmetic stuff really from them.

Flashlight attached to MM, or a miner's helmet, or something like that really should exist. Lantern on a stick is ok, but a bit quirky and honestly pretty dim.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RE: pixels, the economy is one of the things mentioned on the blog that's going to start getting some attention soon, so maybe we'll be able to sell stuff or perhaps this is where they start adding in those procedural quests you can do to get some funds.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

RE: pixels, the economy is one of the things mentioned on the blog that's going to start getting some attention soon, so maybe we'll be able to sell stuff or perhaps this is where they start adding in those procedural quests you can do to get some funds.

They have repeatedly mentioned the ability to sell farm goods. Though I'm expecting that to be both for very little pixels, on top of them further increasing the time it takes food to grow.

While I'm glad content is no longer locked behind a pixel wall, it does also mean that currently the only use for pixels are 3D printer funsies, knickknacks from the outpost, and nanobandages to have a not poo poo healing item that doesn't have a cooldown that lasts forever like food. Said cooldown lasting well past when the debuff icon finishes draining and just sits there on your screen anyways for another minute.

Literally all of my cheating myself in money was because of the cost to scan things in the 3D printer. Not to MAKE things from it, which I have kept reasonable and infrequent (Can craft lunar base items out of steel bars anyways), but just scanning things in the first place, which destroys the item anyways.

EDIT: For what possible reason does the morph ball drain energy so fast? I thought maybe it's for finding secret special things in static locations, like that one little nook right before the boss in the lunar base. But no, that room had completely normal crate garbage in it's crates after I morphballed my way into that room replaying the mission.

Also I thought my "directional light" tech was broken. Until I reaized it is so dim and terrible (and only left or right pointing) you can only tell it does anything if you are underground. All that for the low low cost of energy drained per second and no regen :psyduck:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 7, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

There's some great ideas on flashlights here, I mean, the devs love progression and choosing between stuff, be it weapons or techs or whatever, so they could even tie it into that. Give another equipment slot, call it gadgets or whatever, and have you build and find stuff to go in it. You could start with a lovely flashlight in there, and have to work up to the equivalent of the one you start with seeing as it would be an option to have it always on now.

Maybe put the rail rider functionality into a gadget, this theoretical equipment slot would be always passively on, so it would work when you touch a rail, but that wouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't equip it unless you wanted to use it. This would also be a great place to have mineral or lifeform scanners, something the shape of a flashlight beam that would reveal whatever it was tuned to, with higher tier ones revealing more stuff at a greater range. This idea is somewhat exciting though so we may never see anything like it.

Edit: On pixels, yeah I have an upper tier character now, so there's a nice little box full of portable pixel printers on the starter world to provide my new characters with a real source of healing.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 7, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Throwable drone that follows you around and shines a flashlight over your shoulder at your cursor. Also have ore-scanning drones and miniturret drones.

E: Medical drones, mule/backpack drones, automining drones that can mine ores you wander past. Have them cost energy to maintain or use their functionality, so that one drone merely annoys your regen rate, but 3+ will strangle you pretty hard and/or ground you out unless you have lots of +regen.

Also battery drones to keep your weapons firing at longer single intervals at the cost of longer 'reloads'. Decoy drones that fly next to enemies and annoy them!

Drones drones drones!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

They have repeatedly mentioned the ability to sell farm goods. Though I'm expecting that to be both for very little pixels, on top of them further increasing the time it takes food to grow.

While I'm glad content is no longer locked behind a pixel wall, it does also mean that currently the only use for pixels are 3D printer funsies, knickknacks from the outpost, and nanobandages to have a not poo poo healing item that doesn't have a cooldown that lasts forever like food. Said cooldown lasting well past when the debuff icon finishes draining and just sits there on your screen anyways for another minute.

Literally all of my cheating myself in money was because of the cost to scan things in the 3D printer. Not to MAKE things from it, which I have kept reasonable and infrequent (Can craft lunar base items out of steel bars anyways), but just scanning things in the first place, which destroys the item anyways.

EDIT: For what possible reason does the morph ball drain energy so fast? I thought maybe it's for finding secret special things in static locations, like that one little nook right before the boss in the lunar base. But no, that room had completely normal crate garbage in it's crates after I morphballed my way into that room replaying the mission.

Also I thought my "directional light" tech was broken. Until I reaized it is so dim and terrible (and only left or right pointing) you can only tell it does anything if you are underground. All that for the low low cost of energy drained per second and no regen :psyduck:

The current system of scanning is stupid, expensive, and destructive, but these concepts could be divorced from each other rather simply for a more reasonable system.
Scanning an item into your printer should give you 2 options.

1: Scan the item for no pixel cost, but the item is destroyed in the process.
2: Pay the normal scanning cost for a "nondestructive" scan that doesn't eat your item.

That way you could chuck all the random poo poo you find into your scanner without a second thought but if you found something you wanted, you could pay the cost and throw it back onto your ship after adding it to your catalog. Everybody's happy!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Heck yeah give us drones and turrets in our space game. That made me think of something I wanted to ask, there's pet slots on the inventory screen right? Anyone found anything to go in them yet? I found the secret cat on the mine level but it seems all you can do with that is stuff it in a capture ball and have it wander around your ship.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

The current system of scanning is stupid, expensive, and destructive, but these concepts could be divorced from each other rather simply for a more reasonable system.
Scanning an item into your printer should give you 2 options.

1: Scan the item for no pixel cost, but the item is destroyed in the process.
2: Pay the normal scanning cost for a "nondestructive" scan that doesn't eat your item.

That way you could chuck all the random poo poo you find into your scanner without a second thought but if you found something you wanted, you could pay the cost and throw it back onto your ship after adding it to your catalog. Everybody's happy!

I would prefer 1. If only because so often I click the button but it didn't actually scan, so the item being eaten lets you know it A: didn't work, click again so it is eaten. B: This is one of the many items you can find in the world you can't scan, stop mashing the scan button. It would also mean you don't have to they take your inventory full of things you want to scan, turn around, put them in storage or just throw them into your garbage can to save time and space when you are low on both.

Also, Ow. While my health bar didn't even move, I guess I didn't read in game too closely. All the Devtalks about Environmental tiers having the previous protections bundled in was something I foolsihly took at face value. The Radiation nanosuit coming with the previous one's Air supply made me continue to think so.

Whoopsie doodle switching to the latest new nanosuit for cold worlds means going back to the previous radioactive jungle world is harmful, because nope mutually exclusive, gotta swap em back and forth. Which by ITSElF isn't bad, space closet full of appropriate gear. But it's another case of Devs going "Oh, yeah. We are totally going to make that easier and more forgiving" and then instead adding a new layer of complexity and busywork.

You know, like when Supernorn told us they'd make the Energy system simpler and more forgiving, then two days later it was announced running out of energy would put you on lockdown and demonstrated it with a gif of being unable to fire your gun more than three times before it happens.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 7, 2015

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm trying to start making foods and the system is kinda bizarre. I find fruit/plants that I can't use for anything (wartweed), and a lot of the ones I actually need (pussplum) I haven't seen a single one of, ever.

Do you still have to find recipes for some foods? Does pussplum spawn in the game? :iiam:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Davoren posted:

There's some great ideas on flashlights here, I mean, the devs love progression and choosing between stuff, be it weapons or techs or whatever, so they could even tie it into that. Give another equipment slot, call it gadgets or whatever, and have you build and find stuff to go in it. You could start with a lovely flashlight in there, and have to work up to the equivalent of the one you start with seeing as it would be an option to have it always on now.

Maybe put the rail rider functionality into a gadget, this theoretical equipment slot would be always passively on, so it would work when you touch a rail, but that wouldn't be a problem as you wouldn't equip it unless you wanted to use it. This would also be a great place to have mineral or lifeform scanners, something the shape of a flashlight beam that would reveal whatever it was tuned to, with higher tier ones revealing more stuff at a greater range. This idea is somewhat exciting though so we may never see anything like it.

Edit: On pixels, yeah I have an upper tier character now, so there's a nice little box full of portable pixel printers on the starter world to provide my new characters with a real source of healing.
Holy poo poo, I didn't even know sky rails existed. :vince: I loved those things from Bioshock Infinite.

How useful are they though? I imagine the whole multiple-planets thing means not so much. Though perhaps with that new teleportation system that is being added you could have one integrated with a sky rail so you can zip around between your planets?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

I would prefer 1. If only because so often I click the button but it didn't actually scan, so the item being eaten lets you know it A: didn't work, click again so it is eaten. B: This is one of the many items you can find in the world you can't scan, stop mashing the scan button. It would also mean you don't have to they take your inventory full of things you want to scan, turn around, put them in storage or just throw them into your garbage can to save time and space when you are low on both.

Also, Ow. While my health bar didn't even move, I guess I didn't read in game too closely. All the Devtalks about Environmental tiers having the previous protections bundled in was something I foolsihly took at face value. The Radiation nanosuit coming with the previous one's Air supply made me continue to think so.

Whoopsie doodle switching to the latest new nanosuit for cold worlds means going back to the previous radioactive jungle world is harmful, because nope mutually exclusive, gotta swap em back and forth. Which by ITSElF isn't bad, space closet full of appropriate gear. But it's another case of Devs going "Oh, yeah. We are totally going to make that easier and more forgiving" and then instead adding a new layer of complexity and busywork.

You know, like when Supernorn told us they'd make the Energy system simpler and more forgiving, then two days later it was announced running out of energy would put you on lockdown and demonstrated it with a gif of being unable to fire your gun more than three times before it happens.

I meant that the player would have a choice of the two rather than them being mutually exclusive, but I think that 1 would be the option that most people would pick as well.

And yeah, the devs seem dead-set in their stance against convenience and simplicity when it comes to mechanics choices. I was hoping they'd renege on the energy thing but it looks like they just doubled down. At this point it sadly seems it's going to be up to the modders to make the core game fun, which they're doing quite admirably with mods like Glowing Ores and Better Caves.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

I'm trying to start making foods and the system is kinda bizarre. I find fruit/plants that I can't use for anything (wartweed), and a lot of the ones I actually need (pussplum) I haven't seen a single one of, ever.

Do you still have to find recipes for some foods? Does pussplum spawn in the game? :iiam:

Pussplums grow in underground flesh biomes and maybe planets with Floran settlements. Meanwhile I've scoured the galaxy trying to find a single regular-rear end tomato.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DeliciousCookie posted:

In all honesty, they really need to ditch the flashlight as a holdable object in general I think. While its neat to have, they should have a shoulder mounted light or something equipped to you natively so you can see in the dark.
My solution would be a lot like Davoren's idea: Just have a reserved slot in the inventory for flashlight, and a custom bound keyboard key to toggle it on or off. Make it shine like you were holding it no matter what you have in your hand.

Section Z posted:

Their claims of nerfing birds were true at least. So far, no birds spamming multishot projectiles dealing 1/3 your health per hit every 30 feet.
The counter to this is I don't think I've seen any birds in my current game that know how to do any attack but Dive.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Pussplums grow in underground flesh biomes and maybe planets with Floran settlements. Meanwhile I've scoured the galaxy trying to find a single regular-rear end tomato.

Tomatos seem dead set against ever dropping seeds when picking them. I got lucky and found ONE tomato seed. It took ten times before picking the food from the vine decided to give me a second seed.

I do admittedly prefer the new method of "You found/made a food! now you know recipes that directly involve it!". Instead of "You know how to make bread! You have some bananas! gently caress knowing how to make banana bread by default if you are not Apex!" Though I do miss people starting with some wheat, AND a second type of seed.

As many silly things there have been, and still are, at least some things are clear improvements.

EDIT: I do wish chest loot replaced most cases of "You found food that has a related seed" with "Have some seeds". I found plenty of tomatos and pineapples in chests, but no SEEDS for ages for either.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Where do flesh biomes appear? All of my top tier (maybe?) recipes seem to need pussplum.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
FYI cutting down the vine of a fruit-bearing crop with a digging tool always seems to give you the seed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoughtless posted:

Where do flesh biomes appear? All of my top tier (maybe?) recipes seem to need pussplum.

Alien-type planets.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Section Z posted:

Tomatos seem dead set against ever dropping seeds when picking them. I got lucky and found ONE tomato seed. It took ten times before picking the food from the vine decided to give me a second seed.

I do admittedly prefer the new method of "You found/made a food! now you know recipes that directly involve it!". Instead of "You know how to make bread! You have some bananas! gently caress knowing how to make banana bread by default if you are not Apex!" Though I do miss people starting with some wheat, AND a second type of seed.

As many silly things there have been, and still are, at least some things are clear improvements.

EDIT: I do wish chest loot replaced most cases of "You found food that has a related seed" with "Have some seeds". I found plenty of tomatos and pineapples in chests, but no SEEDS for ages for either.

Or allow people to break the plant item down into seeds. Like 1 tomato turns into 3 or 4 seeds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm sure there was a mod that did that. I'll take a look over it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well, I couldn't find the mod I was thinking of, so I just made my own.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/super-seed-machine.2583/

Put in any crop and get 3 seeds for it back. Also it's flat on top and so acts as a platform/surface for the sake of convenience.
Cost is 2 iron, 4 copper, 20 coal, and a stone furnace. (E: Site updated, no longer costs 10 glass since you often won't find sand on the starter planet.)

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 7, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Well, I couldn't find the mod I was thinking of, so I just made my own.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/super-seed-machine.2583/

Put in any crop and get 3 seeds for it back. Also it's flat on top and so acts as a platform/surface for the sake of convenience.
Cost is 2 iron, 4 copper, 20 coal, 10 glass, and a stone furnace. (I removed the glass cost already but for some reason the site hasn't changed to the new download file I gave it)

You are cool and all these tiny little QoL mods are likely going to be my gateway drug into not stubbornly playing as vanilla as possible my first runthrough.

EDIT: I vaguely recall that somebody made a Slap Chop mod way back for old stable that does this, but even if it was still on the site likely not updated.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 7, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Glass isn't too crazy, since there is always a desert world in the starting system as far as I can tell. Still, no need to have a QOL improvement be too silly on cost. As long as the modding keeps being open enough, it seems like we'll be able to correct some of the stupid design decisions made to keep the fun up as much as possible.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I made the grappling hook available at the wooden crafting table because I don't hate fun:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/iron-grappling-hook.2586/

edit: how the gently caress does the goddamn modpacker poo poo work? I'm doing:
code:
win32\asset_packer.exe"  "butts" "giraffe_storage\mods\MOD2PAC" "packedmod.pak"
but I get an error trying to use the modpak:
code:
"requested file '/pak.modinfo' does not exist in the database, was likely skipped during pak creation.
There's a irongrapple.modinfo in the irongrapple folder (i've tried it with both \irongrapple\irongrapple\ and \irongrapple\ but neither works.) The mod works for me as loose files, so i'm not sure what i'm loving up.

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You don't really need to pack files up anymore. It's just the difference between making them a folder or a single file.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Oh, good. I thought they ran better packed or some poo poo. Now to work on making guns good and fun because I guess I hate myself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any interesting species mods out there? interesting in a good way, not a mlp/anime catgirl/etc way

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hey, before I get some sleep. The Orange and Red apples (bought at the outpost) do not produce seeds in the otherwise seems to be working seed extractor mod.

Do they grow on literal trees in game, if found at all? I know that I can't extract seeds from coconuts because I have to grow trees from saplings then chop them down to get more coconuts, for example. Thorn fruit I'm assuming is an odd niche item because I've used and manipulator dug up dozens of thorn fruit plants with no seeds resulting, and you cant extract a seed if seeds don't exist.

You can extract seeds from sugar though, which amuses me :v: This thing is great because now I don't feel bad about never finding orange seeds to go with those oranges I found in a apex fridge, and now I can finally hit double digit tomato plant seeds after having literally picked 40+ tomatoes with only about 6 seeds dropping in that time naturally.

EDIT: vvv Figured it would be something like that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As far as I know, no, oranges and apples don't grow. As there's no farmable, there's no seed, so the seed extractor can't work on them.

• Locked thread