Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can book American Airlines through BA so you could look into that card and the BA card and book an AA flight. Million mile secrets has a series of articles on booking with BA points, I found the taxes and fees article useful. You can transfer Chase UR points to United, so the United card and Sapphire is an option, same with Delta (through Korean Air) and there's a Delta card that I think has a 50k bonus currently.

asur fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
I will have to look into all of those and figure it out. Thanks for the info.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

khysanth posted:

A few months ago we picked up the Barclaycard Arrival+ and hit the sign up bonus. Today I was approved for the Chase Sapphire and will hit that bonus within the first three months.

When it comes time for us to redeem the travel rewards (probably plane tickets somewhere next year), what is the best way to use them both? Buy one ticket on each?

If its the Sapphire preferred you will probably want to transfer the points to a travel partner (SW, BA or United) for a flight. And then you might have to use the Barclaycard points to pay yourself back for the hotel or rental car. If you can't use one of Chase's travel partners, you could transfer the points to Hyatt, IHG or Marriot and then use the Barclaycard to help with flights.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm interested in either the Citi Double Cash card or the Chase Freedom card. How widely are they accepted? I don't see either of their logos on the Amazon website when I try to add a card, are they accepted there?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I...they're Visa, so they're accepted everywhere Visa is accepted.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Thanks, I was hoping that was the case but didn't see the Visa logo on the card anywhere!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Hmm, weird, but yeah they should be visa. Could be mastercard, but even that will be accepted basically everywhere.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Xandu posted:

I...they're Visa, so they're accepted everywhere Visa is accepted.

Well, the Double Cash is a MasterCard :v:

But yeah... anywhere. But Costco.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case but didn't see the Visa logo on the card anywhere!
The Amazon card definitely has the VISA logo on the lower-right.
https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/amazon

I think it may vary with the Freedom - I have seen pics of a MC online. Mine has a Visa logo just like my CU debit cards, and other Visa's.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

For the purposes of meeting the spending limits to get rewards, do you have to make actual purchases, or can it be balance transfers as well? Same question for getting points, ie does a balance transfer of $1,000 equate to a purchase of $1,000 to earn points?

e: read the fine print at least on the chase sapphire preferred and no, balance transfer =/= purchase

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 7, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

For the purposes of meeting the spending limits to get rewards, do you have to make actual purchases, or can it be balance transfers as well? Same question for getting points, ie does a balance transfer of $1,000 equate to a purchase of $1,000 to earn points?

e: read the fine print at least on the chase sapphire preferred and no, balance transfer =/= purchase
Iirc that's how it is on all Chase, Barclay, and AmEx cards, at the least. (No points for balance transfer)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

The Amazon card definitely has the VISA logo on the lower-right.
https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/amazon

I think it may vary with the Freedom - I have seen pics of a MC online. Mine has a Visa logo just like my CU debit cards, and other Visa's.
I tried getting a Freedom MasterCard and they told me they weren't available anymore, they only do Visa now.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an amazon visa with $2k limit. I want another card or two to maximize benefits & increase credit limit for emergencies. I'm single and don't spend a ton of money on gas/groceries. Thinking of applying for both the Sallie Mae and Citi double cash so that I can start making 5% on gas/groceries, 3% amazon, 2% everything else. I don't spend enough to justify an annual fee in most cases, I think.

Is there anything else I should be considering in terms of sign-up bonuses, or airfare, etc? Racking up miles would be nice, but I don't think I fully understand why someone would use a 1.5% cash back card that can only be used on airfare rather than 2% cash back that can be used on everything.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 7, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Well, because a point on the travel card can have a value of more than $0.01. And you can redeem them for more than the face value if you don't take it as cash. For example, the Barclay gives you ten percent back (of the two percent)if you redeem it on travel. Or the hotel cards have stuff like redeeming 5k points for a 15k point room, etc.

Also if you don't have a Discover or Freedom, those have the rotating five percent cashback categories. Discover also has their cashback portal where you can earn stuff like an extra 5 percent on top of the category. Like this December the 5 percent on the Discover for all online shopping stacked with the ten percent department store cashback through their shopping portal.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinky2099 posted:

Is there anything else I should be considering in terms of sign-up bonuses, or airfare, etc? Racking up miles would be nice, but I don't think I fully understand why someone would use a 1.5% cash back card that can only be used on airfare rather than 2% cash back that can be used on everything.

Frequent flyer program points or flexible rewards points can be 'worth' more than 1 cent per point, so if you're getting 1.5 points per dollar but each point is worth 2 cents, you're really getting 3 cents per dollar vs. 2.

The calculation for how to value each point is personal and depends on your travel style and other stuff, so a flat cashback card certainly wins for simplicity. But, if you like staying at fancy hotels or flying outside of coach, flexible points/FF points can end up being a way better value.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahh okay, got it. It looks like the Sallie Mae 5% and Citi Double Cash 2% can both actually be used directly for cash statements, so I'll just go with those for simplicity. Thanks.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Blinky2099 posted:

Ahh okay, got it. It looks like the Sallie Mae 5% and Citi Double Cash 2% can both actually be used directly for cash statements, so I'll just go with those for simplicity. Thanks.

Is the Sallie Mae card true cash back or is it only applicable to you student loan?

Can you even get one if you don't have a student loan with them?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

Is the Sallie Mae card true cash back or is it only applicable to you student loan?

Can you even get one if you don't have a student loan with them?

Yeah, it's real cash back (well, statement credits). You don't need any relationship with Sallie Mae to get the card, you just can't live in Iowa.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can I just say how annoying it is that Chase won't let me just pay a fixed amount X every month. I can only choose minimum payment or full balance.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Can I just say how annoying it is that Chase won't let me just pay a fixed amount X every month. I can only choose minimum payment or full balance.

You're in the wrong thread if you aren't paying the full statement balance every month.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Guinness posted:

You're in the wrong thread if you aren't paying the full statement balance every month.

Some people auto pay a certain amount every month just so that they have a "tickler" to pay their bill in full before the bill actually becomes past due.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

Some people auto pay a certain amount every month just so that they have a "tickler" to pay their bill in full before the bill actually becomes past due.

What does this even mean?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

asur posted:

People are dumb.

I'm just giving the above poster the benefit of the doubt as to why he wants to pay a set amount each month instead of just paying in full.

A dumb reason. But a reason nonetheless.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

asur posted:

I imagine it is something about keeping your statement balance under 30% when it is reported but still paying everything off

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nope I'm literally a dumb baby idiot that doesn't pay off the full balance. I just wish I could pay X every month (an amount higher than my minimum) rather than choosing "full balance" or "minimum" or "blueprint" (blueprint is awful).

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Then you really should consolidate that debt into a zero or very low interest credit line and work on paying it off. Rewards cards are not the way to go if you plan to carry any debt on them whatsoever.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It is a low interest card, I just... I want to pay a fixed amount!
E: I'm mostly here to just bitch, unless someone has an actual way I can schedule a fixed payment with Chase

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

E: I'm mostly here to just bitch, unless someone has an actual way I can schedule a fixed payment with Chase

I suspect the only way is to get a different low interest card. AMEX take online payments (so you could set up a specific automatic payment) but I don't know how the low interest cards compare.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Does your bank have bill payment? If it's free you can schedule through that

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I currently have two cards, one mastercard through my credit union and an amazon credit card. I'm looking to get one more card so my "spend under 10%" limit between cards isn't so low. Is there a card that offers a high starting limit in place of rewards? Failing that, what's your favorite card for online purchases in general?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FISHMANPET posted:

Just send them a check for whatever amount you want to pay then. Or use your bank's bill pay service to send them an amount you specify. You aren't obligated to use their online interface.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

jon joe posted:

I currently have two cards, one mastercard through my credit union and an amazon credit card. I'm looking to get one more card so my "spend under 10%" limit between cards isn't so low. Is there a card that offers a high starting limit in place of rewards? Failing that, what's your favorite card for online purchases in general?

According to this article American Express will allow you to triple your credit limit after using the card for 60 days, assuming you haven't made any late payments.

You already have the Amazon credit card for Amazon purchases, so I would say to get a flat rate cashback card unless most of your online purchases are going to fit into a particular category. The Fidelity American Express is 2% cashback but the cashback has to be deposited into a Fidelity Account.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Anyone (like me) carrying the Costco AmEx card? If so, it's about to be useless in a year or so:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american-express-to-lose-costco-exclusivity-1423746408

quote:

AmEx approached Costco several months ago to renew the relationship, prompting the wholesale club to open up the process to other potential partners, according to a person familiar with the discussions. Costco had sought more favorable terms from AmEx, the person said.

Costco is evaluating plans for a new partner, according to other people familiar with the situation. Card-issuing banks J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Citigroup Inc. are vying for the rights to offer Costco’s co-branded cards, these people said. It isn’t clear if Costco will accept multiple brands like Visa and MasterCard, as most merchants do, or stick with a one-brand strategy.

AmEx said its pact with Costco would end on March 31, 2016. AmEx will discontinue its TrueEarnings cards that are branded with the Costco logo and offer new types of cards to those customers.

Though they will continue to take Visa/MC debit cards, but I don't like carrying debit cards personally, so this kinda blows.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dancing Peasant posted:

Anyone (like me) carrying the Costco AmEx card? If so, it's about to be useless in a year or so:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american-express-to-lose-costco-exclusivity-1423746408

Though they will continue to take Visa/MC debit cards, but I don't like carrying debit cards personally, so this kinda blows.
I carry the AmEx blue card just for Costco. I too was disappointed when I read that news yesterday. I haven't used my debit card for a single purchase in 8mo, since I got the AmEx for Costco. Before they, the ONLY thing I used it for was Costco! I do carry it tho, as it accesses cash in case I buy something off CL or similar.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

Dancing Peasant posted:

I think this is still a bit up in the air, from what I've seen about it. It seems likely that Costco would establish a new exclusivity deal with one of the other networks or issuers (I heard they went with CapitalOne MC in Canada).

Also, I'll probably be converting my Costco amex to one of their other offerings (BCE to start, most likely) and I've read online people having success in doing that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you haven't gotten the sign up bonus you should apply instead of converting.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

asur posted:

If you haven't gotten the sign up bonus you should apply instead of converting.

Yeah that's probably a good idea - I just don't want to lose the credit history since my Costco card is pretty old.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dengraz posted:

I think this is still a bit up in the air, from what I've seen about it. It seems likely that Costco would establish a new exclusivity deal with one of the other networks or issuers (I heard they went with CapitalOne MC in Canada).
I'm hoping they do something like this in the States too.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dengraz posted:

Yeah that's probably a good idea - I just don't want to lose the credit history since my Costco card is pretty old.

Amex is unique in that they back date all cards to your oldest card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is this the place (if any on SA) to talk about manufactured spend?