Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Zero posted:

You have to hold the top button for quite a long while to shut the device off. Worst case, you just wake it up and try again.

Worst case, you wake it up and it's back on the home screen and you've lost your screenshot.

Oh well - it's not like I couldn't have done much better if I hadn't been rushing through the turn. I'll try again when I break 1000. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Jedit posted:

Goddamnit, I wish it wasn't so hard to take screenshots on the iPad.

lol

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Don't be mean its iOS and the board game thread. The average users reflexes are about that of a goat.

E: a dead goat.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
This new Ascension expansion may be a little bit broken :stonk:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ming the Merciless posted:

This new Ascension expansion may be a little bit broken :stonk:

As I was saying, I thought I could do better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Did I just pay $1.99 to get a white background in Carcassonne? They made it seem like the tiles had snow on them. Either way, I feel bamboozled.

durty
Jan 28, 2009
The tiles do have snow on them

Just the river ones and a few others that they didn't update I think

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ahhh ok. Yeah we're just on the river pieces right now. That's pretty janky that they didn't update them all.

I'm down to play some winter games. GC: crumshizzle

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

durty posted:

The tiles do have snow on them

I will break that city

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bummey posted:

I will break that city
For a second I didn't think you were even in that game.

I still would have believed you'd do it.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Jedit posted:

As I was saying, I thought I could do better.

what's the strategy?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
So the iPhone version of Galaxy Trucker just dropped.

Sucks that it's not universal.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
They seriously hosed up this weekend. They said an update for iPad was out, but it wasn't, and in the meantime no one could log in to the multiplayer server because it had already been updated.

They claimed that it was Apple's fault, but in the meantime, couldn't they have rolled back the multiplayer server until it got all fixed? They also claimed that the Pocket release got delayed until January, but then...here it is.

It kind of sucks they don't have a local play option anyway (for multiple devices, not pass and play), Galaxy Trucker is one of my girlfriend's favorite games to play but we were couldn't play each other on our iPads despite being in the same drat room because we couldn't connect to the server.

We...we...had to actually play real games on a table instead. It was horrifying, as you can imagine.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Al Baron posted:

I've been seeing you guys talk this up so much so I'm biting on this before seeing a single review...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Al Baron posted:

so how does it go on iphone?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

retro sexual posted:

what's the strategy?

If you don't mind, I'll give people a few days to figure it out for themselves. It shouldn't be too difficult, but I don't want to spoil the fun of people suddenly realising that their turn has gone apeshit.

Remind me some time after Christmas Day or I'll forget.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

bowmore posted:

so how does it go on iphone?

He means it sucks that they didn't just update the existing iPad app to be a universal app that could display on iPhones. Instead, they added a second, paid app just for iPhones called Galaxy Trucker "Pocket", taking a page from Days of Wonder's Ticket to Ride playbook. loving scumbags.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If you're asking how it actually plays on a phone, it's a bit small, which is hectic during shipbuilding in a live game. Turn based I'd imagine it's fine.

Had some trouble getting to going with my friend on Android tonight, but other games were still working.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

POCKET CHOMP posted:

If you're asking how it actually plays on a phone, it's a bit small, which is hectic during shipbuilding in a live game. Turn based I'd imagine it's fine.

Had some trouble getting to going with my friend on Android tonight, but other games were still working.

As long as it's less cluttered than Le Havre is on a phone, I'm game. :v:

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
A while ago I posted that the Catan iOS app is buggy trash. Since then they have pushed a lot of updates and it's really good now - no longer crashes or glitches out like it used to and supports online play for all expansions. I think it's definitely worth getting now if you like Catan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How good is the new Ascension set? Also, do you guys play with 60 or 120 stars?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

If you play with 120 stars with the new expansion, the combinations you will probably be making with your last turn will last about 20 minutes and you'll end up with more 1000 points by game end.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Bottom Liner posted:

I play with 240

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

If you play with 120 stars with the new expansion, the combinations you will probably be making with your last turn will last about 20 minutes and you'll end up with more 1000 points by game end.

My record is just under 1400 with 60 stars, so you're underselling that a touch. The number of stars only increases the likelihood that you'll get the megacombo, though - at 60 the game will usually end by that point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shaitan posted:

I play with 240

Double quote??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shaitan posted:

I play with 240

Is thatan option with the new set or something? I always play with 120 with the older sets because they let you get your decks going better and that's more fun for everyone, whereas 60 star games often feel like they end just as you get rolling.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is thatan option with the new set or something? I always play with 120 with the older sets because they let you get your decks going better and that's more fun for everyone, whereas 60 star games often feel like they end just as you get rolling.

I think it might be, I did have it maxed out at 120 a while ago and a week or two ago I noticed it goes a lot higher to the 240. I have all the expansions and promo cards.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I haven't had a chance to look into the XCOM boardgame at all.

Is the game and app any good? Is it worth picking up if you enjoy Enemy Within or is it just a lesser experience?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In other news Talisman is .99

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seems really cool, but I'm hesitant to have a board game that might not work in 3-4 years if the app isn't updated. I really wish the app was an optional companion and not a requirement.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Seems really cool, but I'm hesitant to have a board game that might not work in 3-4 years if the app isn't updated. I really wish the app was an optional companion and not a requirement.

I didn't realize the app was a companion to the boardgame and not just the boardgame on iOS. Glad I asked. Thanks!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People in the TGBG thread seem to like the X-Com game, it has push-your-luck elements but the real-time elements make up for it apparently. Keep in mind that it is a geoscape only game: no tactical combat at all.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

FFG isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years.

If the game is popular enough, hobbyists will reverse engineer the app into cards or dice.

All that said, you'd lose interest in playing the game long before the app becomes outdated.

If you're still not convinced, you can figure they probably have a flash website in their pocket and even if they don't I'm sure some devoted fan will.

The argument that this game is going to become unplayable in a few years is the dumb.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Not every gamer is add-stricken and today it's a safe bet to expect iOS apps to become unusable. His post isn't unreasonable.

It's a super sweet idea though. I already use my iPad to replace generics in board games like dice, timers, scorecards and for less generic stuff like dominion card selectors. This is a clever extension of that, I'm tempted to pick it up!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

If the game is popular enough, hobbyists will reverse engineer the app into cards or dice.

All that said, you'd lose interest in playing the game long before the app becomes outdated.

If you're still not convinced, you can figure they probably have a flash website in their pocket and even if they don't I'm sure some devoted fan will.

The argument that this game is going to become unplayable in a few years is the dumb.

You say all those things, but I have quite a few games and apps I've bought on iOS in the past two to three years that simply do not work on my iPhone 6 + or even my old iPad running iOS8. Like, they don't even launch, or some do and the have huge bugs like the touch screen registers inches off because of a new device size and resolution. Obviously you are not familiar with the App Store's shortcomings and the way a lot of great apps and developers let things just slide into oblivion. I'm not talking indie guys either, but major developers and companies. Hell, just this week Square said they were never going to update a $16 game to work on iOS 8 (it's been broken since last summer) and only agreed to after huge pressure. It happens all the time, so no, I don't feel comfortable shelling out that kind of cash for a board game that relies on a digital app to play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 7, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

You say all those things, but I have quite a few games and apps I've bought on iOS in the past two to three years that simply do not work on my iPhone 6 + or even my old iPad running iOS8. Like, they don't even launch, or some do and the have huge bugs like the touch screen registers inches off because of a new device size and resolution. Obviously you are not familiar with the App Store's shortcomings and the way a lot of great apps and developers let things just slide into oblivion. I'm not talking indie guys either, but major developers and companies. Hell, just this week Square said they were never going to update a $16 game to work on iOS 8 (it's been broken since last summer) and only agreed to after huge pressure. It happens all the time, so no, I don't feel comfortable shelling out that kind of cash for a board game that relies on a digital app to play.

Like I said, even if the app falls into oblivion. The Board Game Geek crew will have long since figured out a way to play it without the app, and there will be an alternative.

Also I wasn't directing my point at the App Store's failings, I was really reinforcing that FFG is a solid company and they wouldn't let the X-Com app not get outdated within 5 years.

You can complain all you want about the App Store, but I'd trust in FFG that they'll support the game 5 years from now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

FFG were bought out by Asmodee less than three months ago.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

FFG were bought out by Asmodee less than three months ago.

I'm not sure of you were arguing for or against my position but the fact that they were bought out is an endorsement of the company. They were not on the verge of bankruptcy and got saved, nor are they being folded into another company. The ownership changed hands and now FFG will have a larger safety net of funds behind it from a fatter parent and better European distribution. They were sold after what everyone could see was a hugely successful year for them.

If you don't want to buy X-Com because it's expensive or you think the app is gimmicky or FFG is the devil; fine. But you're lying to yourself if you think the game won't be playable, due to the app, in 5 years in some shape or form.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not sure of you were arguing for or against my position but the fact that they were bought out is an endorsement of the company. They were not on the verge of bankruptcy and got saved, nor are they being folded into another company. The ownership changed hands and now FFG will have a larger safety net of funds behind it from a fatter parent and better European distribution. They were sold after what everyone could see was a hugely successful year for them.

None of that is in any way relevant. Different companies have different attitudes. Asmodee aren't going to remove the app from the stores, but they may not want to put any resources into digital/physical hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jedit posted:

None of that is in any way relevant. Different companies have different attitudes. Asmodee aren't going to remove the app from the stores, but they may not want to put any resources into digital/physical hybrids.

Sure, but if they refuse to at least keep them running through iOS updates - which costs almost nothing - then their name will be mud in the wider board gaming community and they'll lose a lot of sales on all their other games. Whatever their future plans are, the rational decision is to continue supporting the app. (And yeah, I know about Square Enix's stance on the matter, but these days they're a company run by idiots for idiots - there's no indication that Asmodee is the same. Besides which, they have a whole library of apps to support, not just the one.)

• Locked thread