Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As far as I can tell, the worst thing Dave Sim did was have terrible opinions about everything and saying those opinions very loudly. It's not exactly Roman Polanski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I googled Brian Wood and read the Wikipedia page on it. His victim accepted the apology and even went as far to say that it should not affect his career in any way. I wouldn't even call myself a huge fan of him, just enjoying his Moon Knight run so far. Seemed an odd caveat to throw in when recommending a work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Taking a shot as someone who doesn't read a lot of comic books, I am looking for two different things: gritty cyberpunk comics that sort of channel the feeling of Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Alien. I am a big fan of the work of Tsutomu Nihei who does a really good job of giving the feeling of an isolated protagonist trapped in an overwhelming and hostile environment.

Second thing I am looking for is something to fill the void of Saga as I wait for the next TPB, I like it (and similarly Sandman) because of the crazy world building, awesome character cast (and queer inclusive cast), and amazing artwork (Fionna Staples).

Suggestions on either front would be much appreciated!

Copperhead is new series over at Image that might be up your alley too. Space Western, gritty, single mom/new sheriff in a small town with shady townfolk and hostile natives. Well, pretty much a striaght western set in space, but there are plenty of sci-fi elements plopped on top of it. If you like the Noir aspect of Blade Runner, check out everything you can by Ed Brubaker. The Fade Out, which is a striaght up 1950's noir story set in Hollywood. Fatale is noir with cthulhu mythos pasted on top and I beleive it just ended. Velvet is a James Bondian spy story about a woman trying to clear her name after being framed for the murder of an agent.

Hickman's East of West is a crazy alt history sci-fi/apocolyptic/supernatural/western mashup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I googled Brian Wood and read the Wikipedia page on it. His victim accepted the apology and even went as far to say that it should not affect his career in any way. I wouldn't even call myself a huge fan of him, just enjoying his Moon Knight run so far. Seemed an odd caveat to throw in when recommending a work.

No one said you aren't allowed to enjoy his work, we were just surprised you'd get so offended at someone mentioning a known dickhole was a dickhole.

Jesus, between this and the guy convinced calling Miles Morales "boy" has no racist subtext I'm starting to wonder about this subforum.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lately I've been getting into those stoney comics of substance. Forming, Megahex (Megg, Mogg, & Owl), and Michael DeForge stuff. Not just off-beat to be off-beat, you know? What are some alt-favorites that are colorful, generally light on plot but are funny in their schoolyard dialogue? There's a definite trend that I'm not sure how to concisely describe. These kinds of comics really offset the heavy novels I've been having to read lately.

Also, I've been digging through Kirby's FF run but I'm curious when it really elevates itself into the goofy-surreal stratosphere; i.e. at what issue do Doom and Galactus come in?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Lately I've been getting into those stoney comics of substance. Forming, Megahex (Megg, Mogg, & Owl), and Michael DeForge stuff. Not just off-beat to be off-beat, you know? What are some alt-favorites that are colorful, generally light on plot but are funny in their schoolyard dialogue? There's a definite trend that I'm not sure how to concisely describe. These kinds of comics really offset the heavy novels I've been having to read lately.

Here you go.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Also, I've been digging through Kirby's FF run but I'm curious when it really elevates itself into the goofy-surreal stratosphere; i.e. at what issue do Doom and Galactus come in?
Doctor Doom shows up in a really early issue, #5 I think. The first Galactus storyline starts around #48 or #49 I think. I just got the first Lee/Kirby FF omni and I'm reading this stuff for the first time too. The first few issues are rough as hell, but it's funny how they include a whole bunch of elements which people really associate with Marvel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you're hoping for some kind of peak Kirby grandiosity and crazy cosmic dots all over the place, FF is gonna disappoint you.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Matt Furie can probably be considered the daddy (or older brother) of all that stuff.
Julia Gfrorer mixes the "whatever" attitude of the current crop of altcomics with horror.
Dash Shaw and Johnny Negron are always worth following.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

If you're hoping for some kind of peak Kirby grandiosity and crazy cosmic dots all over the place, FF is gonna disappoint you.
The second Dr. Doom story it becomes canon that The Thing is Blackbeard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That's really more Stan Lee crazy, to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For Kirby crazy, pick up OMAC or Forth World or Kamandi.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I dunno, the Skrull story in FF #2 is pretty nuts

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I think you mean first Doom story :doom:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean first Doom story :doom:

Huh, for some reason I thought there was one before that.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I don't mean to leave a large, vague redundant dump, but I got Marvel Unlimited awhile back and I wanted some suggestions for comics on the service that for someone who really only has knowledge of the Marvel universe from video games and movies.

I also only just discovered the chrome plugin that makes Marvel Unlimited much less painful on a laptop, Mux in case anyone else hadn't heard of it.

Anyhoo, Long story short, I am interested in digging deeper and reading some stories featuring B-list (and lower?) characters from the various adaptations that are good

(Sorry to list so many)
Punisher : Not necessarily typical punisher, Maybe I'm just interested in learning what the hell the deal with Frankencastle was? is it worth reading?
Ghost Rider
Venom: Is good Venom an oxymoron? I vaguely heard that the time when JJJ's son was venom had some good issues.
Sabretooth: I think there was a short a series with him that that fleshed him out and is decent? Who the hell is birdie?
Taskmaster
Shuma-Gorath
Ego the Living Planet
M.O.D.O.K.
Longshot
Jamie Madrox: I want to say I've heard there is some good series starring him

Any other lesser known characters / series etc that I might not have heard of that is on Marvel Unlimited?

For reference, things I've checked out and liked so far:
Matt Fraction's HawkEye and Ironfist, Moon Knight (2014), Great Lakes Avengers, Posehn et al's Deadpool. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Kahn) . Ed Brubaker's Captain America up until the Civil War where I stopped (Is there a place to pick that pack up again?). She-Hulk (2014)

Things I disliked:
The original run of the runaways (maybe the art?). X-Men: Days of Future past (I know its just a 2-issue story but I thought it was a bit stupider than I expected given how iconic that one cover is).

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 5, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jamie Madrox: I want to say I've heard there is some good series starring him - Madox miniseries then following X-factor series.
Venom - The series with Flash and written by Rick Remender
Ed Brubaker's Captain America up until the Civil War where I stopped (Is there a place to pick that pack up again?)- yeah the rest of the run should be on there and its awesome.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

bobkatt013 posted:

Jamie Madrox: I want to say I've heard there is some good series starring him - Madox miniseries then following X-factor series.
Venom - The series with Flash and written by Rick Remender
Ed Brubaker's Captain America up until the Civil War where I stopped (Is there a place to pick that pack up again?)- yeah the rest of the run should be on there and its awesome.

Thanks. If I stick with just titles called "Captain America" will I still be able to follow the civil war plot without getting bogged down in it? (Even with marvel unlimited I find myself not wanting to deal with events baggage and stupidity. Though I liked the Captain America House of M issue surprisingly)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jason Aaron's run on Ghost Rider should be on there. So should Fred Van Lente's Taskmaster miniseries (be warned, some people hate the ending).

X-Factor is the Madrox series you're thinking of.

And for god's sake, read Mark Waid's Daredevil. (And Dan Slott's She-Hulk. Despite BSS's bitching about him on Spider-Man, his She-Hulk stuff is real good.)

I'd also recommend Exiles, but I forget how much is on there. (They're a bunch of X-men characters from alternate realities that kinda Sliders around fixing other Earths. Blink from this series had a semi-prominent role in X-Men Legends 2, if you played that)

Edit: Literally all you need to know about Civil War is that a bunch of heroes had a big fight about revealing their secret identities, and Cap's on the side that said no. I think it lasts like 3 issues in the main Captain America book, and is still mostly featuring the Red Skull, his psycho-bitch daughter and so on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Thanks. If I stick with just titles called "Captain America" will I still be able to follow the civil war plot without getting bogged down in it? (Even with marvel unlimited I find myself not wanting to deal with events baggage and stupidity. Though I liked the Captain America House of M issue surprisingly)

Captain America's Civil War tie ins are sort of tied in but they are also doing their own thing. You do not need to read the main title.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Punisher: I thought Frankencastle was stupidly awesome. I also really liked Rucka's run, though I never hear anyone talk about it. Ennis' Punisher MAX series is great, but I don't think it's available on Unlimited.

Venom: Remender's run is good.

You may also like Scarlet Spider from around the same time. Kind of has the same sensibility of taking a Spider-Man-but-not character and seeing what they do with the powers (and great responsibilities).

Ellis' six issue run on Secret Avengers is in the same style as Moon Knight (series of one off stories) and I'd recommend it for the Black Widow time travel issue alone. Or Shang-Chi doing kung fu in space.

Speaking of Ellis and B-list characters: mother loving NEXTWave!

And I can't help but tell you to read Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For Longshot, he has a miniseries which is probably a good place to start. From there, you basically have the Outback X-Men to work through. And then he shows up in X-Factor, which you'll already be reading for your Madrox fix!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Billy Gnosis posted:

As others have said, yes, the Civil War tie-in issues of Brubaker's Cap are very seamless. He just continued his own plot threads during it. Also, what comes afterward is basically one of my favourite parts to that run, so you should definitely stick with it.

Gaz-L posted:

X-Factor is the Madrox series you're thinking of.
Yes, but there's also the Madrox mini which Peter David did with Pablo Raimondi before his X-Factor run. It's a fantastic little mini-series, and while you don't really need to read it to follow X-Factor, it is a nice little introduction to it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

irlZaphod posted:

Yes, but there's also the Madrox mini which Peter David did with Pablo Raimondi before his X-Factor run. It's a fantastic little mini-series, and while you don't really need to read it to follow X-Factor, it is a nice little introduction to it.

You don't need to read it, but it's kind of a prequel to X-Factor, and is also really good, so I'd strongly recommend it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

irlZaphod posted:

As others have said, yes, the Civil War tie-in issues of Brubaker's Cap are very seamless. He just continued his own plot threads during it. Also, what comes afterward is basically one of my favourite parts to that run, so you should definitely stick with it.

The biggest reason to connect the Madrox mini to X-Factor is that it was where the notion of Madrox sending his duplicates out to learn things and have experiences and then come back to him to download those experiences into his head came from; the idea of duplicates manifesting personalities all their own sprang from that mini as well (or at least was massively expanded upon, as I think PAD started playing with that notion back in v1 of X-Factor).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

So Fables is ending and I took Morning Glories off of my pull list because it was going nowhere. Looking for one or two to replace them.

My current pull list:
Saga
BPRD
The Walking Dead
Chew

Other favorites:
BKV stuff
Locke and Key

So yeah I guess I like Image and Vertigo for the most part. I'm not interested in superheroes but I like funny, adventure, sci-fi, and horror. I was reading Conan for a bit and it varied wildly between good and bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

So Fables is ending and I took Morning Glories off of my pull list because it was going nowhere. Looking for one or two to replace them.

My current pull list:
Saga
BPRD
The Walking Dead
Chew

Other favorites:
BKV stuff
Locke and Key

So yeah I guess I like Image and Vertigo for the most part. I'm not interested in superheroes but I like funny, adventure, sci-fi, and horror. I was reading Conan for a bit and it varied wildly between good and bad.

Madman and red rocket 7

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Image funny, adventure, sci-fi, and horror.

Get yourself to The Manhattan Projects!
https://www.comixology.com/The-Manhattan-Projects/comics-series/7588?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My current pull list:
Saga
BPRD
The Walking Dead
Chew

Other favorites:
BKV stuff
Locke and Key

East of West
Sex Criminals

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Avengers Season One and Avengers The Origin are on sale at Comixology. How are they regarded?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Avengers Season One and Avengers The Origin are on sale at Comixology. How are they regarded?

I got Season One. It's fine. Kinda funny how key the Hulk is to the story, but then again, it's Peter David. It's much more low-key than you'd think, and it's not even really the origin story like most of the other Season Ones are. Also, Ant-Man and Wasp are mentioned and shown like once each. It's all Iron Man, Thor and Cap.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

As always, I'm going to suggest Rat Queens.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Avengers: The Origin is fine if you want to reread Avengers #1 decompressed for no real reason and also they now have cell phones. It's done well enough, but there's no real reason for it to exist.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks dudes!

Ursula Le Goon
Jan 3, 2013

So I'm looking for more comics about women, or with predominantly female teams.
Currently reading Ms. Marvel, Elektra, Rat Queens, The Wicked + The Divine, Saga, Ody-C, and Batgirl.

Bonus points for queerness, obvious or implied (I read Harley Quinn for the Harley/Ivy arc :kiddo:)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

decapode posted:

Currently reading Ms. Marvel, Elektra, Rat Queens, The Wicked + The Divine, Saga, Ody-C, and Batgirl.

Bonus points for queerness, obvious or implied (I read Harley Quinn for the Harley/Ivy arc :kiddo:)

Since you like a lot of Image books, Pretty Deadly is like 99% female creative team and has a second series out this year. Glory ticks a lot of that if you like or can handle sprinkles of violence, Bitch Planet and Shutter are both ongoing at the moment. If you like Wicked and The Divine, Young Avengers focuses on a mainly female and/or queer team.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Velvet is about a lady secret agent in the vein of James Bond. It's set in the 70s for the most part and has a cool retro vibe. New issues just started coming out again, and a new arc will start in 2 issues. You can get the first trade for $10.

Similarly, Black Widow is about another (Russian) secret agent, except this time in the Marvel universe. She's a member of the Avengers in the Avengers movies. And if you like her, she's also in Secret Avengers, which features Spider-Woman, too.

And if you like Spider-Woman, there are two more lady Spider books starting soon, Silk and Spider-Gwen.

There's a now-cancelled New 52 book, Birds of Prey, that follows a lady superhero team - Batgirl, Black Canary, Katana, Poison Ivy, and Starling. It lasted 34 issues and is worth checking out.

Hope that helps.

ps. Just announced yesterday, G. Willow Wilson, author of Ms. Marvel, will be writing a new book featuring an all-female Avengers team starting in May.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

decapode posted:

Rucka and JH Williams III's Batwoman. Start with Elegy:
http://www.amazon.com/Batwoman-Elegy-Greg-Rucka/dp/1401231462

Then continue to the book JH Williams III wrote on his own.

Then get really pissed off when you find out how DC treated the creative team when they wanted to leave the book

(I haven't read it post-Williams' run)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I read the first two volumes of Glory and I really appreciated the fact that none of the women had cookie-cutter supermodel physiques. Which is especially great coming from a series created by Rob Liefeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Since you like a lot of Image books, Pretty Deadly is like 99% female creative team and has a second series out this year. Glory ticks a lot of that if you like or can handle sprinkles of violence, Bitch Planet and Shutter are both ongoing at the moment. If you like Wicked and The Divine, Young Avengers focuses on a mainly female and/or queer team.

I'd also say to take a look at Lazarus.