Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason, steam tells me I need to respond to an email before I can send or accept any more trade offers. Except it never sent me an email - I've been receiving emails for years now, I double checked that the right address is listed in my profile, I checked my inbox, trash and spam folders... nada. Is there a way to fix this?

Palpek posted:

-Sunless Sea
-Apotheon
-Darkest Dungeon

Tell me more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kin posted:

With artificial barriers to make it almost indistinguishable from an island. the only difference is that the image on the horizon is a bunch mountains instead of an ocean.

Did you like Blood Dragon?

I don't mind compact open world experiences.

Edit: When did Drive to Hell come out? Also, Google wanted to correct my search to Ride to Hell.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 7, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kin posted:

Maybe I'm just not in the right mood for it or something, but is far cry 4 not just really loving boring?

Trekking around the whole island doing more or less the same poo poo is just getting tedious.

I'm really not sure that sandbox FPS games are all that great, especially when they're made by Ubisoft and have so many activities that feel like they were copypasted across the map.

Yes. Getting around is also a chore. The voice-acting is atrocious and attempts at comedy are forced and unfunny. I hate it.

FC3 is somewhat better (yet exactly the same mechanically but way more colorful) but just play Blood Dragon for a c/p of the formula that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Nah, I'm not a huge fan of most open world games either. I've played shitloads of video games as well and I still enjoy them a great deal but the whole "emergent gameplay" that's a big deal with that genre has never really appealed to me that much.

Back in the Morrowind days it was still fresh and exciting but the last open world game I legitimately enjoyed was Fallout New Vegas, and that was largely thanks to the interesting characters and locations.

I'm the opposite where it comes to that, for example Shadow of Mordor was one of the few open world games I really enjoyed last year and the emergent gameplay was the largest thing that factored into that. It's also the reason I keep going back to dungeon crawl year in year out. I feel like a game like Far Cry only really has the illusion of emergent gameplay - as you say it's pretty much the same thing copy-pasted across the environment.

Something about these latest ubisoft games makes it really easy for me to imagine what it would be like to play the game minus any textures or story at all. What you do in one mission, i.e. whether you stealth it, killing no-one, or you run in an massacre them all, has no bearing on any mission after that. SoM, in contrast, remembers whether you won, lost, or even how you killed your foes, and those things come back into play further down the line in terms of gameplay changes (who your nemeses are and their strengths and weaknesses) or superficially (their dialogue on re-encountering you) and even though it could still be said to be an illusion, it's a level of sophistication above what a game like Far Cry can offer and I can't wait to see how they expand on the concept in the sequel. I just hope it hasn't ruined GTAV for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You people are crazy, FC4 was one of last years best games.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes, climbing Radio towers is highly original content.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It surprises me that Grow Home doesn't have any radio towers.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SadisTech posted:

well... what do you want to know that isn't immediately obvious? I've offered my opinion that it is good. Would you like me to describe how it plays which will basically be paraphrasing the description on Steam?
...this is what this thread is for. To share our subjective opinions on games on Steam. Do you think people only paste in Steam descriptions when they talk about games?

Also Far Cry 4 absoultely owns. Originality doesn't have anything to do with fun.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Orv posted:

You people are crazy, FC4 was one of last years best games.

It was a slightly better reskin of Far Cry 3 that was one of Ubisoft's best games last year only because every other game they released last year was warmed up dog poo poo. I'm glad I got it free with my GPU and didn't pay money for it because it felt like I was playing Far Cry 3 all over again and I got sick of that game too by the end.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I think there are some people (I'm one) who can't help but see the larger tired formula, even when specific elements are improved. Far Cry 4 was better than 3 in some ways, definitely, and it's not like the core isn't satisfying. When I play it, though, it's like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed in that I can see all the strings holding everything up, and how many of the elements that try to appear impressive are actually safe and meaningless.

One way to make FC4 better is to turn off all the treasure filters on your map. Then it at least feels like you're exploring and happening upon stuff rather than going into autopilot.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I definitely preferred FC3 Blood Dragon. It's a tighter experience where completing the side missions (the far less numerous side missions) feels more meaningful due to the rewards. Also the setting and aesthetic are way more unique compared to your average shooter.

If only it had FC4's coop.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Palpek posted:

...this is what this thread is for. To share our subjective opinions on games on Steam.

My favourite part is when people argue over which subjective opinion is correct.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 7, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I really enjoyed Far Cry 4, but not for it's originality, story, voice acting etc.
I just like a polished game where you can run around and have fun, either exploring or shooting or whatever you feel like. Then once in a while, you do a story mission to progress a bit and perhaps unlock new weapons or areas. And these types of games are not forcing you to "complete a level" before being able to save & quit, except when you have chosen to play a story/side mission.

What really made FC4 stand out was its integration of co-op into the main world and the effects it had on it. I would have loved if it had gone further, like Dying Light, where you could also play the main story missions in co-op, but what it had, was pretty drat good entertainment.

As I've also started doing with open world games, is not buying maps of every collectible available in each section/map, as that triggers my pseudo-OCD gene that needs to clean up that bloody map right away.
I've had far more fun just picking up poo poo when I stumbled upon it and only when it feels like I've been everywhere in a map, do I buy/grab the collectibles map if I can get a better weapon/upgrade/achievement by collecting X trinkets and Y scrolls.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The more someone spends on a game the more they're likely to WANT it to be good so that they don't admit that they blew a huge amount of money on a mediocre game (especially $130 holy poo poo)

It's weird because logic would dictate that if someone blew a lot of money on a mediocre game they should be pissed off but instead they try to push other people into making the same mistake

I'm reminded of the vegetarian episode of the Simpsons where the turkey is flying through all the sewers and garbage and Homer is chasing after it shouting "it's just a little covered in toxic waste, it's still good it's still good"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, climbing Radio towers is highly original content.
lol you climbed those?
I used the respawning mini-chopper at the tutorial outpost to just fly right to the top.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Suspension of disbelief is normally involved with fictional media like movies and games, but I get really sad when I'm reminded that some people get legitimately upset that others like a game that they don't. I try not to remember that too often. :smith:

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Mediocre/Bad/Sometimes Good Game Giveaway!

So I've got seven random, cheap games in my inventory. Some good, some awful, some I have no idea. The first seven Goons to message me on Steam get one at random.

All I ask for in return is a trip report post.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/revweirdbeard/

Edit: All games gone! I'm so sorry to the winners!

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 7, 2015

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Morter posted:

Suspension of disbelief is normally involved with fictional media like movies and games, but I get really sad when I'm reminded that some people get legitimately upset that others like a game that they don't. I try not to remember that too often. :smith:

What's even better is being accused of cognitive bias because you can't admit that a game that isn't even out yet is mediocre and you regret paying for the premium edition. That really inclines you to keep contributing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Quest For Glory II posted:

The more someone spends on a game the more they're likely to WANT it to be good so that they don't admit that they blew a huge amount of money on a mediocre game (especially $130 holy poo poo)

It's weird because logic would dictate that if someone blew a lot of money on a mediocre game they should be pissed off but instead they try to push other people into making the same mistake

I'm reminded of the vegetarian episode of the Simpsons where the turkey is flying through all the sewers and garbage and Homer is chasing after it shouting "it's just a little covered in toxic waste, it's still good it's still good"

Yup. The Sunken Cost fallacy is a real thing people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I think there are some people (I'm one) who can't help but see the larger tired formula, even when specific elements are improved
It depends what is important to you. What makes games fun to me is when the very basic mechanics are good. Stripped from the story, atmosphere, writing, pacing etc. The base gameplay, the things you repeat all the time - like combat and movement are really fun, polished to me in Far Cry 4, as are Dying Light's systems, that's what counts to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

aba posted:

:ninja: Hidden Gem Warning :ninja:

What I'm missing here during every Squeenix sale is an excitement for Mini Ninjas. I've loved it when it was relesed and based on (Steam) reviews most of it's players also liked it a lot. It's linear (with some small branching and hidden secrets) cute action game with easy to get into gameplay. You'll get new playable character which you can switch on the fly and spells/skills on during each level so it leaves a lot of space for experimentation. And to spice action a little bit there are some quick minigames and crafting. Example of early beginning gameplay (by an average player at most): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIFNLDQU0VQ). That graphics will never get old, controls are great with any input device and you just owe it to yourself to play it and wake up your inner child.

Minininjas is great and you can use Ninja Magic to possess bears.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Ignore, remembered there's a better thread for this.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 7, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Don't forget about the pirate themed spiritual successor to two worlds 2, Raven's Cry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMSUfrSvtI

gently caress You it's January has creeped into games :ohdear:

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
How is Arkham Origins compared to Arkham City? I played City on PS3 a couple of years ago and I didn't even know a new one had come out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

snodig posted:

How is Arkham Origins compared to Arkham City? I played City on PS3 a couple of years ago and I didn't even know a new one had come out.

Largely more of the same, if you liked City you'll probably like Origins but it's not going to blow your mind or anything. If you feel like more Batman then go for it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

snodig posted:

The story is better since Batman can actually have an arc, there are a few super annoying gameplay decisions, like the fact that you have to do certain challenges in a specific order, and some of those challenges can only be done in very specific areas during the game, meaning if you miss one, you'll have to do a whole additional playthrough to accomplish it. Other than that, it's pretty much More Arkham. Did you like Arkham City? You'll probably like this one.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

The story is better since Batman can actually have an arc, there are a few super annoying gameplay decisions, like the fact that you have to do certain challenges in a specific order, and some of those challenges can only be done in very specific areas during the game, meaning if you miss one, you'll have to do a whole additional playthrough to accomplish it. Other than that, it's pretty much More Arkham. Did you like Arkham City? You'll probably like this one.

Thats only a problem for completionists. Good on the devs as OCD gamers deserve nothing but scorn

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Life is Strange actually looks pretty interesting. I'm just hesitant to spend money on installment games. :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Thats only a problem for completionists. Good on the devs as OCD gamers deserve nothing but scorn

Looks like the person who posted right after you stole your red custom title.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Haha yeah gently caress people who enjoy certain parts of games

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Cactus posted:

Looks like the person who posted right after you stole your red custom title.

a7m2 posted:

Haha yeah gently caress people who enjoy certain parts of games

Getting IRL mad you can't get a virtual trinket or watch a number go up. Just go to grocery store and buy some stickers if your OCD is that crippling.

The game is good and you can largely ignore all the challenges and still have fun.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Would you like to play a really old game that could as well be a spiritual predecessor to Dark Souls?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245010/

Deathtrap Dungeon! You enter a dungeon, and if you haven't memorized everything and/or don't have Pro MLG reflexes, you die. Fight the camera! Fight the graphics! Fight your own mind desperately begging you to stop playing it.

Honestly though, a lot of these old games on sale right now just aged horribly. Omikron is the perfect example, back then it was fantastic, super immersive and interesting. Nowadays it's clunky, ugly and boring. I wonder if Pandemonium held up well.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Getting IRL mad you can't get a virtual trinket or watch a number go up. Just go to grocery store and buy some stickers if your OCD is that crippling.

The game is good and you can largely ignore all the challenges and still have fun.

Nobody is mad, buddy. Crappy Jack just mentioned something that some players would find annoying. There are plenty of people who enjoy hunting collectibles and the developers put collectibles in to appease those players, yet at the same time they implemented it in a way that will likely annoy those very same players. It's valid criticism and nobody is angry. It's fine to not like collectibles too (I don't particularly care for them myself), in which case that particular downside doesn't apply to you.

It seems silly to be hostile to people who appreciate games in a different way than you do, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Thoughtless posted:

Would you like to play a really old game that could as well be a spiritual predecessor to Dark Souls?

For a moment there I thought they had released the King's Field games on steam.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Mediocre/Bad/Sometimes Good Game Giveaway!

So I've got seven random, cheap games in my inventory. Some good, some awful, some I have no idea. The first seven Goons to message me on Steam get one at random.

All I ask for in return is a trip report post.
Here are my impressions of Super Bouncy Brothers:

Edit - A cut and paste of my steamchat with Wreath used to be here, until someone told me that chat logs are bannable. Long story short:

So yeah. Bouncing boobs aside, it seems like a competent platformer (maybe a bit tough, but I'm kinda terrible at platformers), with some added wtfery. There may be more things of interest for someone who invests more time into the game, but that someone isn't going to be me.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Nobody is mad, buddy. Crappy Jack just mentioned something that some players would find annoying. There are plenty of people who enjoy hunting collectibles and the developers put collectibles in to appease those players, yet at the same time they implemented it in a way that will likely annoy those very same players. It's valid criticism and nobody is angry. It's fine to not like collectibles too (I don't particularly care for them myself), in which case that particular downside doesn't apply to you.

It seems silly to be hostile to people who appreciate games in a different way than you do, though.

Stop talking to VBC like he's a real boy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Olewithmilk posted:

Ignore, remembered there's a better thread for this.

Based on the last few pages, this should be this thread's new title.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Quest For Glory II posted:

The sunk cost fallacy is why I'm enjoying F2P games way more as of late. Yes you can spend stupid amounts of money on a game, but it completely eliminates the whole dance of trying to justify the purchase of a game you bought beforehand.

With F2P, you spend however much time you want to on the game and dump it if it isn't worth anything.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Never spend money on F2P games
Never play F2P games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Please nobody buy Vulture for Nethack.

• Locked thread