Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PlantHead posted:

You can't vote unless you hold a Swiss passport, a C permit just allows you to pay taxes and it is an unlimited permit.

Foreigners without Swiss passports can vote in local elections, including sometimes at the canton level, if you have a C permit and have also lived there [X number of years, varies]. In Vaud, you can even run for public office without being a citizen. Apparently this is not true for most cantons, which I did not know... although it is the case for all of Swiss Romande except the part in Valais.

E: e.g. see http://www.humanrights.ch/en/switzerland/internal-affairs/foreigners/general/cantons-foreigners-voting-rights-bern

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Saladman posted:

Yeah 4-5 hours there is definitely enough but drat it's a long travel day. Slightly closer, there's also Etretat which is pretty stunning but also kind of a PITA to get to (IIRC you have to take the train to Le Havre and then take an infrequent local bus; I drove). Somewhat closer still, I've heard Provins is nice / interesting, though I've never been.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, as Saladman said that's enough time, but it is a hell of a long travel day.

I may be crazy enough to give it a shot. I guess the better question would be if it's worth it; it does look pretty cool.

I'm glad I decided to base in Paris-only. I've got ten days to spend and pretty sure even that's not long enough.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I may be crazy enough to give it a shot. I guess the better question would be if it's worth it; it does look pretty cool.

I'm glad I decided to base in Paris-only. I've got ten days to spend and pretty sure even that's not long enough.

If you only have ten days in Paris I'd do one day trip tops, maybe not even that. There's definitely way more than ten day's worth of stuff to see in Paris, ESPECIALLY if art and architechture are your main interests.

Go see the Pantheon, it has some pretty sweet architecture.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Hi Europe thread, I need help getting between three cities at the end of March (17-26): Barcelona to Lucerne (ideally arriving the morning of Sunday March, 22 but this is flexible) and then Lucerne to Paris early on the 24th.

For Barcelona to Lucerne I think my only choice is to fly into Zurich and take a train to Lucerne unless there's some magical night train I don't know about.

For Lucerne to Paris, I can either take two trains (connecting in Basel) or fly from Zurich. I'm kind of leaning towards the former option, as it seems like a very romantic way to travel and trains are neat.

Is this the best way to get around? I know I have a hilariously tight schedule, but I'm trying to visit friends/family between weddings stateside and this is how it ended up.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Barcelona to Lucern: Yes, fly. SwissAir actually often sells really cheap one-way tickets to Zurich and Geneva to most major European cities.

Lucern to Paris: Tossup, they'll probably both take about the same amount of time and cost about the same amount when you factor getting to/from airports.If you buy a ticket do it through the SNCF website (French) and not the SBB website (Swiss), as the French one is, IME, always cheaper or the same price than what SBB offers.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Saladman posted:

it's basically impossible to get anyone to just go out with you (want a drink? want to go bowling? etc) without at least a week's advance notice, and if it's not someone you know well, you should probably get a few notarized letters of recommendation.

That's also the Croatian impression of the Dutch.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That's my impression of the Dutch, and I'm Dutch...

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm doing three days in Berlin with a friend. Beyond going on a walking tour and trying to take a tour of the Reichstag, I have no idea what to do, what a good hostel is, or what part of the city to stay in. Budget isn't really an issue as long as it's not super expensive. Can anyone help?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
What are you interested in? What time of the year are you going? Berlin has literally thousands of things to do and three days is not a lot of time so you might want to specify. As for hostels, friends of mine were once staying at the Plus Hostel near S/U Warschauer Str. and it looked quite nice when I picked them up.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

regularizer posted:

I'm doing three days in Berlin with a friend. Beyond going on a walking tour and trying to take a tour of the Reichstag, I have no idea what to do, what a good hostel is, or what part of the city to stay in. Budget isn't really an issue as long as it's not super expensive. Can anyone help?

I had a great time at JetPak Alternative a few years ago. The staff and the atmosphere were exactly to my taste. On a quiet street in Kreuzberg and staffed by some awesome people that always want to make coffees for you and give you more information about cool poo poo than you could possibly ever hope to do in that amount of time. It may have changed since then, but I think about that drat hostel and some of the travel buddies I made there quite often. Just a great place.

TyrantSabre posted:

Hi folks. I am trying to plan out a trip to Galicia in April. I plan to spend a week there, mainly in A Coruna, and I'm curious what sort of things I might see and do there. I'm going to see if I can get a ticket to the Deportivo home game over that week, and maybe go to a symphony concert, but otherwise I'm pretty open still. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you been to Santiago de Compostela? Do you like seafood? There are probably some hidden gems in A Coru~na, but O Gato Negro in Santiago is incredible. Locals line up for lunch there and they take it as a huge compliment to see you there and chowing down on whatever they've got on offer for the day. Also, Santiago is an incredibly scenic and picturesque town, great to just ramble around in. The open air market is super rad. Go early to it though or you'll be sad and miss all the cool stuff people are selling. The food itself is just beautiful to look at.

Costa da Morte is also great if you can get a car or find a way there. Any of the coastline around A Coruna is generally rocky and choppy seas, and is quite pretty as well.

As for A Coruna itself, the only couple things I've got are the Praza Maria Pita and The Tower of Hercules. Somewhere just off Praza Maria Pita is a fantastic restaurant whose name eludes me, but everyone I talked to seemed to know something of the place when I mentioned it to them. It's a bit pricey, but the value is just insane for the quality and deliciousness.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 7, 2015

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

FaceEater posted:

Have you been to Santiago de Compostela? Do you like seafood? There are probably some hidden gems in A Coru~na, but O Gato Negro in Santiago is incredible. Locals line up for lunch there and they take it as a huge compliment to see you there and chowing down on whatever they've got on offer for the day. Also, Santiago is an incredibly scenic and picturesque town, great to just ramble around in. The open air market is super rad. Go early to it though or you'll be sad and miss all the cool stuff people are selling. The food itself is just beautiful to look at.

Costa da Morte is also great if you can get a car or find a way there. Any of the coastline around A Coruna is generally rocky and choppy seas, and is quite pretty as well.

As for A Coruna itself, the only couple things I've got are the Praza Maria Pita and The Tower of Hercules. Somewhere just off Praza Maria Pita is a fantastic restaurant whose name eludes me, but everyone I talked to seemed to know something of the place when I mentioned it to them. It's a bit pricey, but the value is just insane for the quality and deliciousness.

This will be my first trip overseas ever, so no, I haven't been to Santiago before. I sort of planned to leave a lot of rambling around time in my trip (maybe one attraction in Coruna a day, if I feel ambitious), so making a day trip to Santiago would be well within my reach! How early would be early enough to catch the market? The trains between Coruna and Santiago don't appear to run much before 6am, would that be early enough?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

schoenfelder posted:

As for hostels, friends of mine were once staying at the Plus Hostel near S/U Warschauer Str. and it looked quite nice when I picked them up.

I can second that hostel/hotel recommendation.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Anything I should be doing in Bonn in a weekend + a couple of days where I'll be at a conference? Should I be going to Cologne?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Bonn is not the most interesting place ever, and Cologne is indeed nearby, and there's plenty to see there. There's also Koblenz, which I've only seen from the train but the views were great. It's located where the Rhine and Mosel rivers meet.

Alternatively, if you want some countryside, the Eifel area just to the south is quite beautiful and has nice villages and forests and caves and mineral springs and stuff.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

TyrantSabre posted:

This will be my first trip overseas ever, so no, I haven't been to Santiago before. I sort of planned to leave a lot of rambling around time in my trip (maybe one attraction in Coruna a day, if I feel ambitious), so making a day trip to Santiago would be well within my reach! How early would be early enough to catch the market? The trains between Coruna and Santiago don't appear to run much before 6am, would that be early enough?

Sure! I've been there twice or three times myself, and never before 11 AM. But every time there are already a number of people closing up their shops/stalls even by that hour. The thing opens sometime around 8 AM from what I've read, and it's usually bumping on Saturdays. Thursdays I've read is also another good market day. Not that it really matters because I'm pretty sure it's open every day anyway.

Also, there's the whole cathedral and plaza thing going on in town there which you should definitely check out. Also, a bit of a hike, but Playa Cathedrales is amazing at low tide. We juuuuust missed getting to walk it, showed up like a couple minutes after the tide had come in.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What's Portugal like in mid March? Thinking of heading there for a week (from the UK) with my girlfriend. We're not bothered about beaches, we were probably going to check out Porto and Lisbon and do a couple of day trips into the countryside.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

What's Portugal like in mid March? Thinking of heading there for a week (from the UK) with my girlfriend. We're not bothered about beaches, we were probably going to check out Porto and Lisbon and do a couple of day trips into the countryside.

It's constantly drizzling in March, so it will not be escaping from UK weather so much as going to somewhere identical. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Lisbon#Precipitation . but if you're not worried about the weather at all (much less the beaches) then I guess why not.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Skeesix posted:

Anything I should be doing in Bonn in a weekend + a couple of days where I'll be at a conference? Should I be going to Cologne?

There are some good museums in Bonn and you can see Beethoven's house. Cologne is probably better to spend time in. More to do.

I posted in the Germany thread a couple of months ago about some things to do in Cologne that might be interesting for you:

Gold and a Pager posted:

The Belgische Viertel and Ehrenfeld are better to go out in than Zülpicherstr. and the Ring :colbert:

Another museum worth checking out is the Kolumba. The art inside is all religious, but the space/building itself it awesome. The sculpture park is also nice

Seconding taking the gondola over the Rhein. You can go to the Claudius Therme and get your sauna on afterwards.

Here's a map of Cologne with some bars, restaurants, museums, etc. mapped out:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zLul1woFvJJc.kr0Eg9Ie8tFM

Red - Restaurants / Cafés
Blue - Bars
Yellow - Party
Brown - Cinema
Purple - Museums
Green - Shopping

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I too would love to have a Switzerland thread (even though I'm an American expat), and it does seem like there are a fair number of us on SA for some reason.

As for my feelings about living here, I have to agree with previous posters about the Swiss being polite, but not very open to hang out or really invite you into their lives. I've been here for awhile now and most of my friends are other expats (from a variety of nations) but basically no Swiss. It's very disconcerting for me because when I was in the US (in academia) we had a whole bunch of foreign students and scholars who became parts of our circle of friends and who hung out with us in our daily lives, but that same level of friendliness isn't really here. When I attended a "Welcome to Zuerich!" event when I first moved here, the nice Swiss lady did warn us that Americans were like peaches (soft and easy to penetrate) and that Swiss were like coconuts (much harder to penetrate, but tasting sweet once inside). And yes, she did phrase it that way and I had to really bite my lip not to giggle...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I too would love to have a Switzerland thread (even though I'm an American expat), and it does seem like there are a fair number of us on SA for some reason.

As for my feelings about living here, I have to agree with previous posters about the Swiss being polite, but not very open to hang out or really invite you into their lives. I've been here for awhile now and most of my friends are other expats (from a variety of nations) but basically no Swiss.

The other problem for the German speaking part in particular that you (presumably) and most of those expats don't speak German, and even if they do, they don't understand Swiss German. So while locals may want to invite you to something, they don't want to have to take care of you by being your interpreter, or by switching to high German when they'd rather speak Swiss German with their old group of friends. My girlfriend of nearly 5 years is Swiss, so I actually have a fair number of Swiss friends, but I no longer invite other expats / people from university to hang out because it was a pain in the rear end since they never learned French, so now I'm part of the problem.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The thread would probably survive in YCS, I'm trying not to procrastinate toooo much while writing my dissertation or I'd throw something together.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I work in research in northern Italy and can attest to the social frustrations that others have posted here about living in Europe. I have made plans in the past with my closest friend here (colleague/flatmate) for a nordic skiing trek up to a month in advance. Both times he had to cancel the week of the trip. I usually end up going to other cities on the weekends and don't mind going to concerts on my own.

I left my university in the U.S. having made friends (in just my department) from Nepal, Israel and Poland. I included them into my social life, invited them to dinner and to go hiking on the weekends. They often complained about how hard it was to find a flat in the U.S. (not hard at all!), whereas I can't afford or even find a room in the city where my work is located. So I now have a 35-50 minute commute on a lovely regional train. La dolce vita.

EDIT: I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but I remember there being a thread in this subforum started by an American goon who was moving to Switzerland. He was hired by ETH Zurich and inquired about all of the required necessities in moving to Switzerland. Perhaps it could converted into a general Swiss thread.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 12, 2015

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

EDIT: I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but I remember there being a thread in this subforum started by an American goon who was moving to Switzerland. He was hired by ETH Zurich and inquired about all of the required necessities in moving to Switzerland. Perhaps it could converted into a general Swiss thread.

That was me, and it already is in the archives unfortunately. All the people in that thread were pretty helpful because it is absolutely insane to come here without someone at least guiding you through the process.

I don't want to come off as sounding like I dislike Switzerland, it is an absolutely beautiful well-managed country and most of the problems I have here have nothing to do with the country itself (general work stress, the rigors of academia). I just really miss hanging out with big groups of people and shooting the poo poo. I don't think the Swiss are being unfriendly, they're just not as friendly as I'm used to.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think the language barrier is definitely contributing a lot to the problem in many cases, as opposed to the USA where you just keep speaking the native language because everyone understands.
Having one person in a bigger group not speak the language everybody else is using just gets annoying after a while. People may even be polite and all switch to English but that's not really the kind of effort you should expect regularly. If you get half/half groups it's much better, I find.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Saladman posted:

The other problem for the German speaking part in particular that you (presumably) and most of those expats don't speak German, and even if they do, they don't understand Swiss German. So while locals may want to invite you to something, they don't want to have to take care of you by being your interpreter, or by switching to high German when they'd rather speak Swiss German with their old group of friends. My girlfriend of nearly 5 years is Swiss, so I actually have a fair number of Swiss friends, but I no longer invite other expats / people from university to hang out because it was a pain in the rear end since they never learned French, so now I'm part of the problem.

Haha, I've been having the opposite problem. I can understand both High German and Swiss German but for some reason I have real trouble speaking Swiss German so I only speak High German, most people know that I understand both but it really bugs me when they'll speak Swiss to all their friends and then turn to me and switch to German. Half the time I don't even notice but when I do it just feels so condescending . I'm sure the feeling's entirely irrational and they're probably just used to foreigners only speaking German but I still find it annoying.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that for a lot of them it's just automatic, I doubt they're really bothered about speaking High German to a foreigner.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I don't want to come off as sounding like I dislike Switzerland, it is an absolutely beautiful well-managed country and most of the problems I have here have nothing to do with the country itself (general work stress, the rigors of academia). I just really miss hanging out with big groups of people and shooting the poo poo. I don't think the Swiss are being unfriendly, they're just not as friendly as I'm used to.

I always find this too when I'm over there. Last time I'd convinced myself I'd stay and find a job and finally make use of my dual citizenship, but I just couldn't do it. I just missed people and speaking my own language. Am I mad to want to go and give it another try?
Maybe next time I should look for some English-speaking social groups or something.

elbkaida posted:

I think the language barrier is definitely contributing a lot to the problem in many cases, as opposed to the USA where you just keep speaking the native language because everyone understands.
Having one person in a bigger group not speak the language everybody else is using just gets annoying after a while. People may even be polite and all switch to English but that's not really the kind of effort you should expect regularly. If you get half/half groups it's much better, I find.

Most people I've met in the German-speaking part at least are fairly decent at English, but I can see how it might become a problem when trying to make closer friendships or just hang out with people. I can never tell if people are just practicing their English on me or if they think that I don't understand German very well because I'm so bad at speaking it.

Another question for you expats. What brought you to Switzerland? It seems to be mostly work. Did anybody come for family, or study or anything else?
Also are you all from the US?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

WaryWarren posted:

I work in research in northern Italy and can attest to the social frustrations that others have posted here about living in Europe. I have made plans in the past with my closest friend here (colleague/flatmate) for a nordic skiing trek up to a month in advance. Both times he had to cancel the week of the trip. I usually end up going to other cities on the weekends and don't mind going to concerts on my own.

I left my university in the U.S. having made friends (in just my department) from Nepal, Israel and Poland. I included them into my social life, invited them to dinner and to go hiking on the weekends. They often complained about how hard it was to find a flat in the U.S. (not hard at all!), whereas I can't afford or even find a room in the city where my work is located. So I now have a 35-50 minute commute on a lovely regional train. La dolce vita.

Italy.txt

Lived here all my life, it's 100% impossible to just call someone and say "hey, want to go grab a drink tonight?", you need at least three-four days' warning.

Out of curiosity, which city are you working in? (If you don't mind me asking, that is, feel free not to answer.)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I understand the language excuse, but I don't entirely buy it. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm basically hanging out with other expats and very few of them know English as a first language and they don't seem to have any problem going out and being friendly with my American rear end. Not to mention the fact that any group of Swiss people are potentially going to know either Swiss German, French, or Italian as their mother tongue and will be speaking a second language even when hanging out with other Swiss. I understand that I'm in a different country and I can't expect people to speak English on demand, and I am making serious attempts to learn High German so that I can attempt to converse with everybody, but its kind of funny to hear "It's just a language issue" when I regularly hang out with a Russian guy whose English consists of almost nothing but catch-phrases he learned from TV, a Chinese couple and several Germans, but Swiss colleagues who were fluent in English by grade-school and interned in the US for 6 months are always politely declining invitations.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I was only speaking of groups of native speakers finding it cumbersome to switch just for one guest. If you are hanging out with mixed crowds where lots of people speak only broken english it is normally not an issue I found...

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I understand the language excuse, but I don't entirely buy it. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm basically hanging out with other expats and very few of them know English as a first language and they don't seem to have any problem going out and being friendly with my American rear end. Not to mention the fact that any group of Swiss people are potentially going to know either Swiss German, French, or Italian as their mother tongue and will be speaking a second language even when hanging out with other Swiss. I understand that I'm in a different country and I can't expect people to speak English on demand, and I am making serious attempts to learn High German so that I can attempt to converse with everybody, but its kind of funny to hear "It's just a language issue" when I regularly hang out with a Russian guy whose English consists of almost nothing but catch-phrases he learned from TV, a Chinese couple and several Germans, but Swiss colleagues who were fluent in English by grade-school and interned in the US for 6 months are always politely declining invitations.

Part of it is that they often have an established network of friends and acquaintance. This reminds me of Denmark (and Sweden), where most people come to university with intact and expansive networks of friends from school. One of the girls regularly went back home to be with her regular friends despite having some where she studied. This doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like foreigners or that they categorically oppose to meeting new people, but there is less of an incentive to do so. The reason you are friends, or at least acquainted, with more expats can be seen in that light, since they are usually the ones who do not have preexisting networks in place, so they make an effort to meet people.

The same often happens during years abroad via university exchanges via for example ERASMUS, where you end up having quite a bit of contact with random other exchange student, but where you don't necessarily spend a lot of time with natives unless you specifically go and look for it, speak the language, get lucky and find people who are interested. For example, I don't really have any English friends, but I know a bunch of "expats".

There are also perhaps differences in how people define what it means to be friends, hence my usual "or acquaintances" interjection. A Canadian girl I know categorically talks about a whole range of people as "friends" who I would at best qualify as acquaintances, since they don't really know each other that well and since they don't really seem all that connected. So that might be another source of cultural differences.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

Italy.txt

Lived here all my life, it's 100% impossible to just call someone and say "hey, want to go grab a drink tonight?", you need at least three-four days' warning.

Out of curiosity, which city are you working in? (If you don't mind me asking, that is, feel free not to answer.)

Is this north Italy or south? I just moved near Milan for work and the few Italians I know seem to make plans last minute,

asur fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 14, 2015

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 15, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone have tips on how much Euros and DKK I should bring for seven days in Amsterdam and four in Copenhagen? My lodging is already paid for. Will be doing several day trips by train. I really only plan to need money for that and food of course.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Can't say for Amsterdam, but Copenhagen is really expensive; probably the most expensive city in Europe. If you're going to eat, say 2 meals a day, and you're only going to eat out, plan for around 200 DKK a meal - so around 1600 DKK for the duration. Granted, this assumes hot meals in nice places. If you're willing to hunt for bargains, or you don't mind eating at the ubiquitous pizza joints, you should be able to get by on 800 DKK. Take this with a pinch of salt, though. It's been about 5 years since I last spent any real time Copenhagen, so my info might not be super current.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

Anyone have tips on how much Euros and DKK I should bring for seven days in Amsterdam and four in Copenhagen? My lodging is already paid for. Will be doing several day trips by train. I really only plan to need money for that and food of course.

Check out Riz Raz if you are hungry and want to be fed properly. They have a vegetarian all-you-can-eat buffet both as lunch (frokost) and dinner (aften), and are reasonably priced. Otherwise, inscrutable horse is right, eating out is very expensive, so plan for that. I cannot really give you a proper estimate, since it strongly depends on what kind of food you like, what level of food you are looking for and where you will be staying.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

Check out Riz Raz if you are hungry and want to be fed properly. They have a vegetarian all-you-can-eat buffet both as lunch (frokost) and dinner (aften), and are reasonably priced. Otherwise, inscrutable horse is right, eating out is very expensive, so plan for that. I cannot really give you a proper estimate, since it strongly depends on what kind of food you like, what level of food you are looking for and where you will be staying.

I'm actually going to be right by the Norreport station on a street called "Norre Sogade" so I'll check that out, thanks. I don't care about getting anything fancy, just something that's convenient and (relatively) inexpensive. Does that website have an english version?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 17, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

I'm actually going to be right by the Norreport station on a street called "Norre Sogade" so I'll check that out, thanks. I don't care about getting anything fancy, just something that's convenient and (relatively) inexpensive.

Oooh, that's a good area! Another good idea might be to venture not in the direction of the city centre, but just across the bridge and the "lake" you will be on, into Nørrebro (and ideally down Nørrebrogade). Nørrebro is the quarter behind the station, and it has traditionally been the area where lots of immigrants, but also many students live. That means if you have a look around, you will find a bunch of Kebap places and cafés that are cheaper and sometimes even nicer than the one directly on the main streets in the centre.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

Oooh, that's a good area! Another good idea might be to venture not in the direction of the city centre, but just across the bridge and the "lake" you will be on, into Nørrebro (and ideally down Nørrebrogade). Nørrebro is the quarter behind the station, and it has traditionally been the area where lots of immigrants, but also many students live. That means if you have a look around, you will find a bunch of Kebap places and cafés that are cheaper and sometimes even nicer than the one directly on the main streets in the centre.

Cool, I just chose it because I noted that Norreport is one of the major stations, and thus I could go on some sidetrips without having to make connections. I'm doing airbnb so hopefully my host will have some good tips as well. Is kebap like kebab? I don't eat meat.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Amsterdam is pretty expensive as well. Costs really depend on your standards, 10 euro for a kebab or fried foods-based dinner or 30 euro for something with a good price/quality ratio at a well-chosen place, including a drink. Half to 2/3rds that for lunch. For trains I have no clue, you should look up the price for a same-day trip beforehand. It's pretty expensive when booked at the last minute.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Entropist posted:

Amsterdam is pretty expensive as well. Costs really depend on your standards, 10 euro for a kebab or fried foods-based dinner or 30 euro for something with a good price/quality ratio at a well-chosen place, including a drink. Half to 2/3rds that for lunch. For trains I have no clue, you should look up the price for a same-day trip beforehand. It's pretty expensive when booked at the last minute.

10 euro for a kebab? In Amsterdam? Last I was there was ... gently caress me, like 7 years ago... but no way...

PS - Are you living in/near Amsterdam and willing to do me a sexy favor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

Cool, I just chose it because I noted that Norreport is one of the major stations, and thus I could go on some sidetrips without having to make connections. I'm doing airbnb so hopefully my host will have some good tips as well. Is kebap like kebab? I don't eat meat.

Yes, Kebap is kebap, i.e. meat, but they usually also have things like Falafel, and Riz Raz is great for vegetarians! It's a good location and you should be able to walk most places really nicely from there.