Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Help me I'm beginning to drink the Tony Sanchez kool aid for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

Combine invitations out

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/2015-nfl-scouting-combine-invite-list/

ESPN wasn't kidding about fsu Louisville having the most prospects on the field. drat. Miami and Florida have a good showing

Houston is sending a guy!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wanvig posted:

Kansas is sending three guys somehow. Which is one more than K-State.

Well the somehow part is that one of them is a punter, I didn't even realize they went to the combine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

I feel like this class of entering freshmen isn't quite bringing the names the way last year's did. Or maybe it's just that a bunch of good ones went to major schools so they've been floating long enough to lose their impact. Some of my faves:

Bry'Kiethon Mouton (LSU)
Stone Wolfley (WVU)
Ray-Ray McCloud III (Clemson)
Devonaire Clarington (Texas)
Bill Murray (William & Mary)
Michael Tarbutt (UConn)
D'Anfernee McGriff (Florida)
Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame)
SoSo Jamabo (UCLA)
Quarvez Boulware (Maryland)
Lyrics Klugh (Towson)

and the winner:

Q'Drennan (New Mexico). That is the whole name. Q'Drennan.

Actually it's Q' Drennan if I'm reading it right. His first name is Q'.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seems like cheating to have a member of the Q Continuum on your team.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Pakled posted:

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

His trash talk had better consist of nothing but calling people Micro Brain.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Pakled posted:

Wanvig posted:

This is the message board for me.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Cutest little stadium in the whole conference

Neyland has a greater seating capacity, it's true. Shame about the team, though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wanvig posted:

"Eat any good books lately?" was the best of all his putdowns

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Crotch Bat posted:

Questioned whether this was some lame dick measuring thing(well, yea, it is) or whether they actually needed it and they're about middle of the country for those things so it's probably a long overdue upgrade.

Also how do programs like Clemson and Bama have these teeny-tiny boards that are only a few years old? UNC hasn't updated theirs in over a decade :stare:

I did not know this was a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_stadium_video_boards

Didn't know our new one was so small compared to everyone elses. To much larger and it starts looking ridiculous unless we start adding seats but that would kinda gently caress up the hill. We added two smaller boards at the same time that we installed the new one in the corners of the stadium

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lol at Florida State for building a screen with 320 horizontal lines of resolution in 2008.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Cutest little stadium in the whole conference
Bryant-Denny is a cathedral to football and I won't hear a word otherwise

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

LLCoolJD posted:

Neyland has a greater seating capacity, it's true. Shame about the team, though.

Not for long :smug:

Hopefully :ohdear:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Huge video boards are bullshit because 90% of it is used for flexible advertising space.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

Huge video boards are bullshit because 90% of it is used for flexible advertising space.

It's kinda hard to see (my own pic because I can't find any irl ones online) but the A&M board actually is mostly filled with useful info:

Those white areas are basically the only places that ever have advertising,

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pakled posted:

Georgia Tech, ladies and gentlemen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, Chuckie Keeton got a medical redshirt so he'll have another year to destroy his knees.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Oh hey, Chuckie Keeton got a medical redshirt so he'll have another year to destroy his knees.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

lamentable dustman posted:

I did not know this was a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_stadium_video_boards

Didn't know our new one was so small compared to everyone elses. To much larger and it starts looking ridiculous unless we start adding seats but that would kinda gently caress up the hill. We added two smaller boards at the same time that we installed the new one in the corners of the stadium

Yeah, I think it's plenty big. You can see it fine from anywhere in the stadium. Any bigger and it'd gently caress up the hill.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, when I've been at games there's been very little of actual value on video scoreboards. Score, time remaining, down and distance, etc. don't require video, which is all you need a scoreboard for.

Big video boards seem to be more about "mine's bigger than yours" contests than anything else. I'm not opposed to them, just generally not impressed with them.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

And it wasn't the guy I expected. I don't think Deontay Greenberry is getting drafted at this point.

Also Houston related, word is AD Mack Rhoades is in talks to take the same job at Missouri.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Virginia Tech's new video board (a couple years ago now) was such a massive upgrade to the old one. The sound system got a big boost too. (so you can really hear the huge gobbler noise coming over the TV mics)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Grittybeard posted:

He's so much fun to watch. If only Chuckie could stay healthy :sigh:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

JT Jag posted:

Bryant-Denny is a cathedral to football and I won't hear a word otherwise

the 4 small (still huge) screens is a much better solution anyway since nobody has to crane their necks or turn to see them. Also none of the space on them is used as ads during plays/replays.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
even Minnesota put up a big video board, and they have a tiny baby stadium, y'all ain't special

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

even Minnesota put up a big video board, and they have a tiny baby stadium, y'all ain't special

I've heard its a really, really nice place to watch a game,

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I've heard its a really, really nice place to watch a game,

It's really nice, it's just funny that one of the biggest schools in the country had to build a 50,000 seat stadium because no one there cared about football and they were scared of Iowa and Wisconsin fans continuing to outnumber them every time they played.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

It's really nice, it's just funny that one of the biggest schools in the country had to build a 50,000 seat stadium because no one there cared about football and they were scared of Iowa and Wisconsin fans continuing to outnumber them every time they played.

I have a friend who works for the BTN and he said they did a great job with it and outside of like tOSU/Michigan its his favorite place in the Big Ten to work a game. I guess the NFL games there were also hilarious. But yeah its weird they built a tiny stadium.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

This annoyed me the most when I went to a gator game recently.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A search warrant has been issued for currentplayer Quincy Mauger and former player Brendan Langley's phone records. The title of the article is pretty misleading, but it appears as if they are the victims of identity theft and fraudulent baking transactions and not some "hey withdraw this cash, we say its fraud, they give us cash, you take a cut and I get the rest" kind of scheme. And if it is, thats a really dumb and convoluted scheme.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

vyst posted:

Does Publix still advertise heavily down there? They certainly did when I was a student there.

KKKLIP ART posted:

A search warrant has been issued for currentplayer Quincy Mauger and former player Brendan Langley's phone records. The title of the article is pretty misleading, but it appears as if they are the victims of identity theft and fraudulent baking transactions and not some "hey withdraw this cash, we say its fraud, they give us cash, you take a cut and I get the rest" kind of scheme. And if it is, thats a really dumb and convoluted scheme.

The presumably fraudulent transactions include deposits. The phone records will be useful in determining whether or not these two guys conspired with the two who've been caught.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, when I've been at games there's been very little of actual value on video scoreboards. Score, time remaining, down and distance, etc. don't require video, which is all you need a scoreboard for.

Big video boards seem to be more about "mine's bigger than yours" contests than anything else. I'm not opposed to them, just generally not impressed with them.

VT's goes full screen for replays and whatnot. It's much, much better than the old way in basically every way.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Does Publix still advertise heavily down there? They certainly did when I was a student there.

The presumably fraudulent transactions include deposits. The phone records will be useful in determining whether or not these two guys conspired with the two who've been caught.

Yeah, it is one of those things that sounds super fishy, and as a UGA fan, I am used to seeing it being our players being the ones getting in trouble and not the victims. I hope it is fraud but man, the deposits don't make it sound very good.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State replaced theirs last summer and went from having a housing that held one full-color, one amber light array, and an amber light clock plus a bunch of ads to having it all in one big screen. The overall size is about the same.

A lot of old people complained that they were upset that the screens didn't have the clock, down and distance, or score on it and they had to look at the ribbon displays on the upper deck lips.

Which is exactly like it was before the new screen, so I'm confused.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Old people complain about anything and everything. Just look at Det's posting history.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I always enjoyed the Iowa sound system that was muffled and sounded like it was coming from underneath the sea when they were announcing silly things like down and distance but crystal clear and ear drum destroyingly loud when they played a Coke commercial at the start of halftime.

There are also a lot of really objectively awful pop songs from around 2009 that make me super happy because I associate them with Kinnick during the Orange Bowl season. I'm pretty sure they played the same Black Eyed Peas song 700 times during a night game against Michigan and darn it, it was a good good night.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 7, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

Old people complain about anything and everything. Just look at Det's posting history.

So you're complaining about people who complain.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

vyst posted:

I want everyone who kicks my teeth in when I bitch about advertising creep inside Michigan Stadium to attack you right now.

And it's not even out of malice, I just want another person to be kicked around for hating ads inside the stadium.

(for the record, Michigan has giant videoboards now and doesn't advertise on them except for intra-university programs)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Neodoomium posted:

I want everyone who kicks my teeth in when I bitch about advertising creep inside Michigan Stadium to attack you right now.

And it's not even out of malice, I just want another person to be kicked around for hating ads inside the stadium.

(for the record, Michigan has giant videoboards now and doesn't advertise on them except for intra-university programs)

Ehh...the ads themselves aren't annoying when done with something resembling restraint.

Having a ridiculously huge video board just to do this...

...is just....too much to bear.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

...That is deplorable.

• Locked thread