Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I am probably the only person who voted for Louisville and solely so I don't have to drive two hours to watch live NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Igor Strelkov posted:

Seattle is a proven NBA market, but the two KCs together only have 600k people, it's a dying area like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, St Louis. I think Seattle and a second Chicago team, and maybe San Jose are the most reasonable expansion locations. If they added a city with less than a million then it would be better to find a market with no pro team so that they can collect the entirety of the place's sports attuned disposable income.

KC sounds reasonable, but it's on par with places like Fresno California and Mesa Arizona.

The metro population of KC is double that of Fresno, and it wouldn't have to cannibalize a market like Mesa. KC has to deal a little bit with the sprawl problem, but it also has a enough basketball-happy people that it could probably weather bad years pretty well.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Bennett is in shape and when he dunks like a madman he does look a little bit like Larry Johnson. But that's it. I never saw him in college. What was he supposed to be great at in the NBA?

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

I don't think any team should move to Seattle. It's really bothersome to use that city as some kind of "oh but they love basketball so much. UNLIKE YOU. DICK." bullshit excuse to uproot another team so their bloodlust can be satiated or whatever the gently caress.

Sucks you lost your team but no one is exactly falling over themselves to move to you. Hell even the Kings stayed in Sacramento.

Edit: by all means expand to it tho

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jack's Flow posted:

Bennett is in shape and when he dunks like a madman he does look a little bit like Larry Johnson. But that's it. I never saw him in college. What was he supposed to be great at in the NBA?

He was supposed to be Thomas Robinson/Derrick Williams with better range, iirc.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

No one really expected him to be great. It was regarded as the worst draft in over a decade and he wasn't even the consenus best player in it. But he was supposed to be a better rebounder and outside shooter than he is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

It's not like they missed out on anyone with those draft picks.

Like...is there anyone in this rookie class outside the top 3 that is doing good?

You seriously do this at the midway point of like every season. Being good as a rookie is hard. One of the picks they gave up was Nurkic and he's looked pretty good in stretches, especially given his youth and inexperience.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 7, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Bulls weren't going to run with 3 rookies in the rotation so they traded up to the one they wanted. Its way too early to give up on McDermott, but drafting is a crapshoot and piling on the Bulls when they've done really well in recent history is pretty dumb.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm moving to Minneapolis next year and legit excited to watch Wiggins + Rubio on the cheap.

You'll like Minneapolis, and you can get Wolves tickets from scalpers for under $10 and then just sit wherever you want. I was a transplant to the twin cities almost 10 years ago and stayed. If you want any advice on where to live, whatever feel free to PM me.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tae posted:

Like...is there anyone in this rookie class outside the top 3 that is doing good?

Milwaukee didn't miss out on anyone either

pre:
Rk      G  MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%  OWS DWS  WS WS/48  OBPM DBPM  BPM    VORP
1      47 958 12.8 .491 .202 .381  4.8 14.3  9.5  8.4  1.6  2.0 15.7 22.3  0.1 0.7 0.8  .040  -1.8 -0.8 -2.6    -0.1
2      49 786 17.0 .548 .005 .398 12.5 15.4 14.0  8.2  3.1  4.6 15.1 16.9  1.3 1.2 2.5  .152   0.8  2.9  3.7    1.1

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Chris Paul got fined for his criticism of the ref, 25k total.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/564087036144254976

I didn't watch the game, how egregious were the techs called?

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 7, 2015

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I think giving DeAndre Jordan a tech for yelling AND ONE GOD DAMNIT was some bogus dang poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Clippers spend more time complaining at the refs than any other team in the league and I assume it was just a last straw sort of deal.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Igor Strelkov posted:

Something is terribly wrong, Courtney Lee is only shooting 45% from midrange, he's actually shooting better from three! (46%)

He's getting older and was a fairly athletic guy at least for a 3&d role player, maybe that is impacting his ability to finish

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

hitze posted:

I think giving DeAndre Jordan a tech for yelling AND ONE GOD DAMNIT was some bogus dang poo poo

Yeah the tech on Jordan was stupid but the tech on Paul was legitimate. He whines after every single possession. I doubt the league thought his comments were sexist, the fine seems to be there because he won't shut up about any ref in general every single game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doltos posted:

Yeah the tech on Jordan was stupid but the tech on Paul was legitimate. He whines after every single possession. I doubt the league thought his comments were sexist, the fine seems to be there because he won't shut up about any ref in general every single game.
the fine is there because he bitched about the officiating after the game

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do not like Kevin Love. What is in his head.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

chunkles posted:

He's getting older and was a fairly athletic guy at least for a 3&d role player, maybe that is impacting his ability to finish

Oh it seems like yesterday he jusssst missed that crazy buzzerbeater as a rookie in the finals..

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Seattle is a proven NBA market, but the two KCs together only have 600k people, it's a dying area like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, St Louis. I think Seattle and a second Chicago team, and maybe San Jose are the most reasonable expansion locations. If they added a city with less than a million then it would be better to find a market with no pro team so that they can collect the entirety of the place's sports attuned disposable income.

KC sounds reasonable, but it's on par with places like Fresno California and Mesa Arizona.
Uh, the KC metro area has two million people, more than twice as many as Fresno's (Mesa is part of Phoenix's). In all those places you describe as "dying areas" you're confusing the city populations, which have declined considerably, with the metro area populations, which haven't dramatically changed in most cases.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tae posted:

Nerlens is doing good if he counts

KJ McDaniels has cooled off a bit, but he was/is pretty good for a 2nd rounder.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I know there can be Giannis hype fatigue but the guy has made a jump in play recently.

After putting up a career high 25 points he put up 27 points and 15 boards against the Rockets. They even had him playing small ball center. He has been shooting at a 60% clip in recent games and his FG % has climbed above 50% for the season.

He is starting to confidently hit jumpers against big defenders who play off while exploiting smaller defenders in the post.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Marcus Smart has been surprisingly not terrible and could wind up being a pretty good player.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

Chris Paul got fined for his criticism of the ref, 25k total.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/564087036144254976

I didn't watch the game, how egregious were the techs called?

It was just the usual Clippers poo poo of acting like every possession has the worst call or no-call you've ever seen and ignoring ref's warnings to give it a break.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inside Outside posted:

Marcus Smart has been surprisingly not terrible and could wind up being a pretty good player.

Unless his jumper improves a ton he seems like one of those dudes who people fawn over as a rookie because he plays hard and tries on defense but who never improves to the point where he's actually a good starter. Kinda like a better version of Shumpert, I guess.

He is legitimately amazing on defense though. There's a place for him on the roster it just seems like it'll be hard to ever have a great offense in this day and age with him as the starting point guard.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 7, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

Unless his jumper improves a ton he seems like one of those dudes who people fawn over as a rookie because he plays hard and tries on defense but who never improves to the point where he's actually a good starter. Kinda like a better version of Shumpert, I guess.

He is legitimately amazing on defense though. There's a place for him on the roster it just seems like it'll be hard to ever have a great offense in this day and age with him as the starting point guard.

So Avery Bradley

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I'm sure Smart can learn. I was really low on him because he's not really a playmaker, but he seems to be coming around a bit.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Hand Row posted:

I know there can be Giannis hype fatigue but the guy has made a jump in play recently.

After putting up a career high 25 points he put up 27 points and 15 boards against the Rockets. They even had him playing small ball center. He has been shooting at a 60% clip in recent games and his FG % has climbed above 50% for the season.

He is starting to confidently hit jumpers against big defenders who play off while exploiting smaller defenders in the post.
Giannis is loving unreal and i love him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYoqIrbdfRY

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

MourningView posted:

He shot 42% from three last month which I'm sure is not an aberration of small sample size at all. For how bad he shot the ball in summer league, his improvement as the season has gone on has been really encouraging, and this is from someone who hated the pick at the time.

morestuff posted:

So Avery Bradley

Avery Bradley is a perfectly acceptable shooter for a defense first role player :colbert:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Vogon Poet posted:

Uh, the KC metro area has two million people, more than twice as many as Fresno's (Mesa is part of Phoenix's). In all those places you describe as "dying areas" you're confusing the city populations, which have declined considerably, with the metro area populations, which haven't dramatically changed in most cases.

Thank you. St. Louis has a massive metropolitan area; it's just the city itself where the population is declining (from a variety of factors). KC is a larger city itself, but its metropolitan area is smaller than St. Louis'.

That being said, I'd rather a team move to KC because I live there now, but if a team moved to St. Louis, I would cheer for it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Yeah, that kid can play. He's so long.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

That is actually really cheap (except for the beer).

The actually have tall boys of Coors for $3 in the first quarter. You can go buy a pile of those to last the entire game. If you want Spotted Cow, etc, they charge like 6-7 a bottle. I'm a beer snob, but I can live with cheap Coors at that price.

Seats are actually $12 in the nosebleeds, $10 in fees, then $10 to park. You can get $25 tix for first row upper level, which is pretty good.

Considering how awesome(Considering) the Bucks are, this is a good deal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

The Bulls weren't going to run with 3 rookies in the rotation so they traded up to the one they wanted. Its way too early to give up on McDermott, but drafting is a crapshoot and piling on the Bulls when they've done really well in recent history is pretty dumb.

I was happy they traded up. But they did give up a ton to move to to that spot. If you're giving up 5 picks for 1 player there is more pressure on you to hit.

They've done well drafting, but the guy who was behind most of those picks is now in Orlando (Matt Lloyd). Since he left their drafting has been bad (Teague, Snell, McDermott).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Philthy posted:

The actually have tall boys of Coors for $3 in the first quarter. You can go buy a pile of those to last the entire game. If you want Spotted Cow, etc, they charge like 6-7 a bottle. I'm a beer snob, but I can live with cheap Coors at that price.

Seats are actually $12 in the nosebleeds, $10 in fees, then $10 to park. You can get $25 tix for first row upper level, which is pretty good.

Considering how awesome(Considering) the Bucks are, this is a good deal.

I loved going up to Milwaukee games. Only problem with it was getting out of that parking garage after a game. But you have good beer on tap and better food than the United Center (brats are the best).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Protip is to never use the garage. There are dozens of $10 lots one-two blocks away that dont fill up even by the start of the game. Or, if you find a parking spot, nothing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inside Outside posted:

I haven't been able to watch many celtics games this year due to being in Toronto but I am rarely impressed with his box score. Is he doing something impressive that doesn't translate into numbers?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That sounds a lot like the Pelicans setup. Except mid-court, fifth row, upper level seats are $25 here and there is no cheap beer.

They have some really, really good arena food, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I haven't been able to watch many celtics games this year due to being in Toronto but I am rarely impressed with his box score. Is he doing something impressive that doesn't translate into numbers?

He's a really, really good perimeter defender.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Smart is playing off the ball next to Turner and that other guy, which is the opposite of what should be happening to a developing PG with poor playmaking. This is why his shooting number are better than expected.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Inside Outside posted:

Even in Summer League he looked like the fourth best PG in the draft but he's taken to the NBA a lot better than the rest of the guards in his class and he's almost a competent NBA starting guard as a rookie, and already is one of the better defensive guards in the league. I would say it was unexpected, but all his (constant, annoying) proponents said this is what would happen and surprisingly they seem to be right.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Kibner posted:

That sounds a lot like the Pelicans setup. Except mid-court, fifth row, upper level seats are $25 here and there is no cheap beer.

They have some really, really good arena food, though.

I probably mention this every time it comes up but as a dude who's used to Toronto prices I paid 100 bucks for first row main level centre court seats in NOLA (right behind couttside) and it blew me away that I could do that for that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is "small guard becomes a good defensive player" just a Brad Stevens thing?

• Locked thread