Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

oddium posted:

You'll miss the funniest jump animation I've ever seen. Here's a quick plot summary to bring you up to speed:

"Cor gov, it's Shulky innit. Big Ben is the bell."

God help me for a second I thought that was a bastardisation of "Bellend" before I remembered that actually yeah that's literally the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I had to give up on Xenoblade for a while because there are so many pointless MMO quests. Like, I don't want to move on to the next area without finishing at least the majority of quests, but I also don't want to kill 5 wolves and 4 beetles and 6 sheep and collect 7 mouse turds and 4 wilted leaves and all that other stuff.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ugh. I think that's what turned me off finishing Nier. I know it's supposed to basically make fun of completionist sperglord tendencies but oh god what if I miss something???

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If you care about tedious completionist tasks, that reflects negatively on you more so than the game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I had to give up on Xenoblade for a while because there are so many pointless MMO quests. Like, I don't want to move on to the next area without finishing at least the majority of quests, but I also don't want to kill 5 wolves and 4 beetles and 6 sheep and collect 7 mouse turds and 4 wilted leaves and all that other stuff.

Somebody really should compile a list of "best of" quest chains that give rewards/ skill trees. Or ones that are just really cool like the Nopon drug ring.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Do only the named quests? Not the ones that say "Collection Quest 1." Really, it's that simple. And if you don't feel like it, then don't because you're only just missing out on gear that you'll vendor anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I finally got around to playing Mario Galaxy and yeah, you guys were absolutely right about how cool and good that game is, even though I absolutely despised Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. It kind of feels like a Mario "action RPG" more than a proper Mario game to me though, if that makes any sense.

It's also weird that I find myself playing more Wii games than Wii U games on my Wii U. I guess probably because most of the Wii U games I bought with the intention of playing with my wife and/or kids. I have way too many loving games.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

That's where you end up after you've done a 360.

Point taken.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

Ugh. I think that's what turned me off finishing Nier. I know it's supposed to basically make fun of completionist sperglord tendencies but oh god what if I miss something???

The key to enjoying nier is never doing those

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I have some extra codes that I don't need.

All gone!

Enjoy.

Watrick fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 7, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

It kind of feels like a Mario "action RPG" more than a proper Mario game to me though, if that makes any sense.

Not really, no

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Watrick posted:

Balloon Fight: A045-LB29-2SR1-BGUC
Yoshi's Island: A07B-JR1A-2795-4PGL

Enjoy.

I got Yoshi's Island, thanks!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Watrick posted:

Balloon Fight: A045-LB29-2SR1-BGUC
Yoshi's Island: A07B-JR1A-2795-4PGL

Enjoy.
I grabbed Balloon Fight, I've never played it before, thanks.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

elf help book posted:

I got Yoshi's Island, thanks!

Fritzler posted:

Enjoy!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looper posted:

Not really, no

Well, it's so far removed from Traditional Platformer Mario in terms of controls and linearity and how you interact with things that it feels more like an action RPG to me.

Anyway, started Metroid Prime today and... I like it, but I'm really hating the controls right now. I guess maybe it's a matter of getting used to the controls, but when I try to turn it feels like Samus had a few too many drinks before she set off on this mission. Setting the sensitivity to Advanced helps but I still feel like I'm fighting the game for the privilege of playing it. Then I got killed by a bunch of goddamn mosquitoes in a room where I think I was supposed to be getting a missile pack and just turned it off because I didn't feel like backtracking 10 minutes to the save spot at the planet landing site.

I haven't seen anyone else complaining so I assume it must just be me, so any suggestions on making the controls friendlier to my apparent retard brain?

Fritzler posted:

Have you played Joust? It's basically the same thing.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
So Hyrule Warriors is pretty great if you like Dynasty Warriors games. Having a blast with it so far.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

raditts posted:

Have you played Joust? It's basically the same thing.

Balloon Trip is the best part!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

RyokoTK posted:

It's been a while since I finished it but I vaguely recall that the system for all of this is designed in such a way that you collect all of that stuff almost passively.

There were a few items that had annoying grinds/low drop rates tied to them though. The game could have done with less of that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Splatoon has it's own (Japanese) homepages. Yay?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Kin posted:

It's been a while since I finished it but I vaguely recall that the system for all of this is designed in such a way that you collect all of that stuff almost passively.

There were a few items that had annoying grinds/low drop rates tied to them though. The game could have done with less of that.

One of the party members later in the game gets a passive ability that makes rare items drop more frequently, so it isn't too much of an issue.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

raditts posted:

Then I got killed by a bunch of goddamn mosquitoes in a room where I think I was supposed to be getting a missile pack and just turned it off because I didn't feel like backtracking 10 minutes to the save spot at the planet landing site.

I have no idea why they put such an obnoxious mini-boss that early in the game, but it doesn't really happen again, and is worth it to stick with it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Rexroom posted:

Splatoon has it's own (Japanese) homepages. Yay?

Speaking of, whoever said the tempura prawn was just wearing a coat was right. Also, his name is Crusty Sean.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Punchout!! is a really satisfying game. I breezed my way to King Hippo, got thrashed while barely touching him and thought "How can I ever beat this guy?!". Then I fought him twice in practice mode, learned his secrets, and effortlessly beat the poo poo out of him. It's a cool game.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I had the feeling that Metroid Prime was missing something... Something specific... And then it hit me!! The upgrades aren't presented as orbs held by Chozo statues, they're all just sitting on rocks and platforms. Who made that decision??

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

Well, it's so far removed from Traditional Platformer Mario in terms of controls and linearity and how you interact with things that it feels more like an action RPG to me.

Anyway, started Metroid Prime today and... I like it, but I'm really hating the controls right now. I guess maybe it's a matter of getting used to the controls, but when I try to turn it feels like Samus had a few too many drinks before she set off on this mission. Setting the sensitivity to Advanced helps but I still feel like I'm fighting the game for the privilege of playing it. Then I got killed by a bunch of goddamn mosquitoes in a room where I think I was supposed to be getting a missile pack and just turned it off because I didn't feel like backtracking 10 minutes to the save spot at the planet landing site.

I haven't seen anyone else complaining so I assume it must just be me, so any suggestions on making the controls friendlier to my apparent retard brain?

Yeah, I just finished it, and I didn't die once the entire game. I had the controls set to the regular (not advanced) and I really like how they handled. Also, I get why people liked that game so much. I also finished with 95% completion, which is absolutely the highest I have ever finished a Metroid game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The final suit in Prime 2 is the most awesome looking one yet. It's so shiny!

The boss at the end of Sanctuary Fortress was the best in both games so far. Now it's just time for endgame cleanup before I go on to finish this one.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Flint_Paper posted:

HEY. I want at least three seasons of skirt-smoothing and constant bickering amongst the Aes Sedai.

Those 3-4 books could be condensed into one book without all of that pointless exposition.

Back on topic, my daughter has been playing the 100 pin Wii Sports Club Bowling online and found a way to get strikes every time.
The way it's done has to be deliberately coded that way, or it's a massive bug.

Fly with me fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 8, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regy Rusty posted:

The final suit in Prime 2 is the most awesome looking one yet. It's so shiny!

The boss at the end of Sanctuary Fortress was the best in both games so far. Now it's just time for endgame cleanup before I go on to finish this one.

To quote something I heard a longass time ago, the Light Suit is the most pimping.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

raditts posted:

So I finally got around to playing Mario Galaxy and yeah, you guys were absolutely right about how cool and good that game is, even though I absolutely despised Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. It kind of feels like a Mario "action RPG" more than a proper Mario game to me though, if that makes any sense.

It's also weird that I find myself playing more Wii games than Wii U games on my Wii U. I guess probably because most of the Wii U games I bought with the intention of playing with my wife and/or kids. I have way too many loving games.

Now play Galaxy 2. It's like Galaxy but even way more amazinger

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why are so many of Nintendo's Valentines about putting people in the friend zone? Yoshi seems to be pushing for FWB, at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 8, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why are so many of Nintendo's Valentines about putting people in the friend zone? Yoshi seems to be pushing for FWB, at least.

Tingle isn't loving around with that friendship bullshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Peach one is so perfect

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

raditts posted:

advanced is good, i also swap A and B, feels more natural to shoot with the trigger. holding Z to steady your aim when using advanced controls is also super-important if you find the camera keeps moving on you when walking/trying to aim at something.

also, there's a save room three or so rooms before the hive mecha boss. a tip for hive mecha, let the bees spin around you until they stop moving. when they stop, look at your radar and see where they are around you then move inbetween two of them. they divebomb the center of the platform, so they'll miss and you can shoot them after their attack.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Practice makes perfect, really. The controls WILL click, and the early game is somewhat clumsily trying to tell you how to play it. It is designed for less mobility and the like--the trick to anything is to master locking on, and more importantly, when not to lock on. In general, you'll want to lock on to enemies to center your camera, but you can center it always with the same button, so it can be useful to free aim in this manner. The lock on button is really useful, and if you are having troubles I suspect it's related to your use or lack of use of it. Beyond that, you just got to get accustomed to the Wii remote. It's going to be a bit uncomfortable just by design, but you get into a good groove eventually. I didn't "get" the controls quite right until I was further ahead than you are now, so stiff upper lip!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Punchout!! is a really satisfying game. I breezed my way to King Hippo, got thrashed while barely touching him and thought "How can I ever beat this guy?!". Then I fought him twice in practice mode, learned his secrets, and effortlessly beat the poo poo out of him. It's a cool game.

I just beat Mr. Sandman's rear end, feeling good that I finally found a strategy to beat him... only to get the everloving poo poo beat out of me by Glass loving Joe in title defense. Punch-Out is cruel.

Do some of the fighters have punches that are just too loving fast to dodge sometimes unless you dodge before they actually punch, or does my TV have a delay that I never had to worry about until now?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I have $300 to spend and am too god drat lazy to do this myself, which version of the console and which games (appropriate for my 7 and 9 year old sisters I am buying this for) should I buy?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So I have some coins left in Club Nintendo. I think I'm going to get Majora's Mask for 200 coins. Anyone have any other advice? I'd really rather get a physical item mailed to me, but nothing at my coin level does it for me.

How's Majora's Mask play on the Wii? Is it alright? No major glitches or crashes? I know the Majora's Mask on the Zelda Bonus Disc had some issues.

(I know Majora's Mask 3DS is about to happen. They changed the original too much I don't want the remake). So, Wii version good enough?

Noose Induce, wait until you can buy a refurbished 32 GB Wii U for $200 from nintendo dot com. Then buy Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. That'll be about $300. Do it!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Noose Induce posted:

and which games (appropriate for my 7 and 9 year old sisters I am buying this for) should I buy?

Bayonetta 2 and Watch Dogs

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Macaluso posted:

Bayonetta 2 and Watch Dogs

Seconded. Bayonetta is the perfect game for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Noose Induce posted:

I have $300 to spend and am too god drat lazy to do this myself, which version of the console and which games (appropriate for my 7 and 9 year old sisters I am buying this for) should I buy?

I think the "standard" they sell now is the Deluxe with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland. That's $300 so it seems like a good bet. It only comes with the screen controller though, so you'll want to make sure you get at least one controller / wiimote if you don't already have any, so they can both play.

• Locked thread