Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

Ehhhhh. He is an innately entertaining individual, but best? Ehhh.

ehhhhh yeah he's right bozo

when he does the murderer walk in that big gun bit he kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Shovelbearer posted:

Kurt Metzger seems to have some life elements of a poo poo guy but I think his stand-up is rad. I don't necessarily need to think I would like the actual person to enjoy the stand-up. Saw him live like a year, year-and-a-half ago and he was hilarious. It didn't hurt that he seemed to deliver half his set directly at me and my girlfriend. To each their own though.

Zuh? You mean where he overcame being a religious nutter like his parents, or where he's banging an Israeli girl half his age and her black girlfriend?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Apoplexy posted:

Zuh? You mean where he overcame being a religious nutter like his parents, or where he's banging an Israeli girl half his age and her black girlfriend?

Or purportedly choked his girlfriend or whatever

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't remember that, I think you might be referencing Bill Burr, who also had a reactive case of violence put upon him by a woman who was angry.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Apoplexy posted:

I don't remember that, I think you might be referencing Bill Burr, who also had a reactive case of violence put upon him by a woman who was angry.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/kurt-metzger-harassment-lindy-west-sady-doyle/

Not very flattering, but like I said, I do think he's hilarious as a performer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shovelbearer posted:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/kurt-metzger-harassment-lindy-west-sady-doyle/

Not very flattering, but like I said, I do think he's hilarious as a performer.

I thought people didn't like Kurt Metzger because of some dumb thing a long time ago where he was complaining about a club not paying comics enough. Reading that kind of puts things in perspective, though his newest special was still good regardless. Kind of seems like it might just be another case like Patton Oswalt where a comedian would be better off ignoring Twitter and all accompanying bullshit rather than indulging all of it over and over and making things worse.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
What happened with Patton Oswalt and Twitter? I completely missed any controversy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Not sure there was really any controversy like with Metzger, but I recall him getting in a bunch of dumb Twitter fights in recent years that he took way too seriously. He also brings up some battle he had with Salon.com on a lot of podcasts, and generally seems to take too much interest in vitriol coming from sections of the internet that are garbage to begin with. Salon deserves about as much attention as the comments section of a Youtube video.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Oh, okay, that Salon spat I remember (and agreed with him, though yeah, it's after all just Salon).

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I thought people didn't like Kurt Metzger because of some dumb thing a long time ago where he was complaining about a club not paying comics enough.

That club was the UCB.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

lmao

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
Is there a site I could buy the new Chelsea Peretti special from? I don't have netflix and I'm not looking to subscribe.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Pice of poo poo posted:

Is there a site I could buy the new Chelsea Peretti special from? I don't have netflix and I'm not looking to subscribe.

No. It's a Netflix special, meaning they own it. I'm not aware of any Netflix original programming being available outside of Netflix. So you'll either have to steal it or get Netflix.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Ariza posted:

No. It's a Netflix special, meaning they own it. I'm not aware of any Netflix original programming being available outside of Netflix. So you'll either have to steal it or get Netflix.

They all come out on DVD eventually

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pice of poo poo posted:

If you've never subscribed to Netflix, you can usually get the first month for free and then cancel before you get charged. They have a lot of great stand-up specials right now, if you haven't seen them: lots of Louis C.K., Jim Gaffigan, Aziz Ansari, Patton Oswalt (just watched his "My Weakness Is Strong," and holy poo poo, it's funny), John Mulaney, and Moshe Kasher.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I believe you mean Moisie Kaiser.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Moshie Koshie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What is this all from?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Moisie Kaiser thing was either from a podcast or his stand-up, he told a story about someone saying he was their favorite comedian but called him "Moy-zee Kaiser", someone can probably correct the parts of this post that are wrong because I can't really remember exactly where it's from.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Apoplexy posted:

Moshie Koshie.

Is this from his stand up or do we just pretty much have the same brain?

Also, I watched the Matt Braunger special Big Dumb Animal and it's even better than Shovel Fighter. He's getting to be one of my favorites.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Both, most likely. I also remember him on You Made It Weird a few times having those stories, the stripper thinking him Moisy Kaiser in particular. Moshie Koshie is just a funny extension of that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Berzerker posted:

I believe you mean Moisie Kaiser.

aka the only good thing to come out of the max fun network

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Al! posted:

aka the only good thing to come out of the max fun network

boo this man

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
The Wild West Comedy Festival in Nashville has a pretty great lineup this year. I got tickets to Nick Kroll/John Mulaney already, but there's also Rory Scovel, Hannibal Buress, Doug Benson doing standup and interrupting "Footloose", Tig, Eric Andre, and a bunch more that I don't care about. Anyone else planning on seeing anything?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Forum Hussy posted:

The Wild West Comedy Festival in Nashville has a pretty great lineup this year. I got tickets to Nick Kroll/John Mulaney already, but there's also Rory Scovel, Hannibal Buress, Doug Benson doing standup and interrupting "Footloose", Tig, Eric Andre, and a bunch more that I don't care about. Anyone else planning on seeing anything?

Hopefully will see Kroll and Mulaney and maybe Scovel. And I'll hang out at the World Record attempt going on at the same time! http://nashvillestandup.com/WorldRecord/

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Brett Gelman's latest, uh, thing, is certainly something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Brett Gelman's latest, uh, thing, is certainly something.

Care to elaborate? Is his new album called NAZI SUPERMEN ARE OUR SUPERIORS or something?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I didn't even know where to talk about it. He put out a thing on Adult Swim called "Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family" as a sort of sequel to last year's "Dinner with Friends" and it's just a really hosed up 22 minute thing with meta elements and incest and murder and all kinds of weird poo poo.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dinner-with-friends-with-brett-gelman-and-friends/

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ahahahahahaha amazing

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I didn't even know where to talk about it. He put out a thing on Adult Swim called "Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family" as a sort of sequel to last year's "Dinner with Friends" and it's just a really hosed up 22 minute thing with meta elements and incest and murder and all kinds of weird poo poo.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/dinner-with-friends-with-brett-gelman-and-friends/

Lol.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Brett Gelman is amazing and also might be a serial killer.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

God loving drat it, Harris Wittels OD'd on heroin and died.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
oh gently caress :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ror posted:

Well, that sucks. Thought he was moving towards sobriety after listening to his recent appearance on You Made It Weird, but I guess not.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ror posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. His recent YMIW was a great episode and had me rooting for him

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
God drat it. I can't believe this. Was really hoping this was some dumb joke and Google would take me to a podcast skit or something. gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well, that sucks. Thought he was moving towards sobriety after listening to his recent appearance on You Made It Weird, but I guess not.

In defence, he was probably trying hard. Heroin's a TOUGH thing to kick.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Isn't his show ending in a few days? Coming from a place of addiction, he was probably either celebrating or mourning (at least that's what his addiction was telling him). Big changes are devastating and coping without the use of substances can seem impossible. It's the hardest part of quitting, I've found.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/570659270896660481

New PFT album later this year apparently. Unless it's like the pod f tompkast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Saw Maria Bamford, Margaret Cho, Jackie Kashian and Kate Willett last night. Maria is my favorite in the world and was great as always. I had a stretch where I was kind of down on Margaret Cho but she was pretty funny. Jackie Kashian was hilarious. Kate Williett was ok. Trip report over.