Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

the 120 kg mass (actually 125kg) comes from the fact that you get 8 of them per ton.

Also, I think PTN's image is some flavor of autocannon, this is a gauss rifle:

Heavy gauss rifle:

HAG:

Infantry Magshot gauss rifle:

e: yeah, PTN's pic is an ultra autocannon from the old Techmanual.

Those pictures clearly show like a drum mag of many many shots. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gwaihir posted:

I like the rapid fire minigun style ammo feed for a weapon with 8 shots per TON of ammo. Ahhhh battletech, never change.

I like how the heavy one has dual-feeds!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Saint Celestine posted:

The fluff has some instances where auto cannons, gauss rifles and the like fire more than one shot in a short amount of time, the cumulative impacts of a burst adds up to a single rounds shooting damage and the ammo necessary to fire it is lumped together into the one unit of ammo the mech is counted as expending. This varies from writer to writer.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, so far we have:

Kurita Front Line Option (Friar John)
Davion Assault Option (Losanda)

Pretty solid so far. If someone chooses the Long Tom the Wasp could spot for it I guess.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

Like Cable's many, many (empty?) pouches, I think we should chalk this up to 90's extravagance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The fluff has some instances where [...] gauss rifles [...] fire more than one shot in a short amount of time

No it doesn't.

The closest thing to an 'automatic' Gauss weapon is the Gauss SMG used by Clan security forces, although I suspect AP Gauss Rifles are also automatic since they do burst damage to infantry. Anything bigger has always been depicted as a single massive shot.

VVV We're not talking about HAGs

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it doesn't.

The closest thing to an 'automatic' Gauss weapon is the Gauss SMG used by Clan security forces, although I suspect AP Gauss Rifles are also automatic since they do burst damage to infantry. Anything bigger has always been depicted as a single massive shot.

HAGs are described as an auto gauss in TechManual. And I'm not sure why you have to suspect AP Gauss being automatic when that's also right in the description.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 7, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

And I'm not sure why you have to suspect AP Gauss being automatic when that's also right in the description.

Because it's 5:00AM and I'm at work.

Standard Gauss Rifles have always been a single shot. I can't name a single instance in fluff of a standard Gauss firing like an automatic weapon even though there's likely nothing* other than power requirements actually stopping them from doing so.

Edit: Nothing but their insane power requirements, anyway. Normal Gauss rifles are either horrifically inefficient or Vlad's Executioner was having engine troubles. :allears:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 7, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The original publication has very little to say about them, too.

The handful of units mounting them just go on about the need to keep from blowing up the capacitors.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it's not an ammo feed, that's a ribbon power cable. Have to keep it exposed to radiate the resistive heat buildup from shunting a few megawatts through in a fraction of a second.

obviously

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a TRO entry for a tank that I'm trying to track down that says something along the lines of "the Gauss rifle has brought back the idea of a tank rolling up and destroying poo poo with a single shot just like when the Rifled Cannon was their main gun." Still looking.

e: There are so many tanks to look through.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 7, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite bit of Gauss Rifle fluff is that Yen Lo Wang's Gauss Rifle has a gravity feed. I can't help but imagining the mechanism being a bit like a gumball machine, but y'know what'd probably do as much damage to the charging coils as jamming an I-beam down the barrel? Dropping a 125kg slug the size of a football on them from the feed bins in the torso through the 2.5 or so meter drop through the upper arm.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite bit of Gauss Rifle fluff is that Yen Lo Wang's Gauss Rifle has a gravity feed. I can't help but imagining the mechanism being a bit like a gumball machine, but y'know what'd probably do as much damage to the charging coils as jamming an I-beam down the barrel? Dropping a 125kg slug the size of a football on them from the feed bins in the torso through the 2.5 or so meter drop through the upper arm.

Ammo feeds in Battletech work using miniature wormholes, obviously. Anything else makes no sense. Why yes, the gun in the head is feed from ammo bins in the feet, this is a rational and efficient design why do you ask?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ArchangeI posted:

Ammo feeds in Battletech work using miniature wormholes, obviously. Anything else makes no sense. Why yes, the gun in the head is feed from ammo bins in the feet, this is a rational and efficient design why do you ask?

no we'll just run an external feed line fro the bin there's no way this could go wrong

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

wiegieman posted:

no we'll just run an external feed line fro the bin there's no way this could go wrong

Or have it as a backpack like the Wolf Trap.

God, what a terrible idea.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gumball machine ammo feed is an awesome mental image. All you need is a coin slot on the side! 25 Cents per shot!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

:science: Obviously the pressure of the falling slug is what sets off the firing sequence much like a hammer from an old wild west revolver coming down sets off the bullet, shell never hits the coils and instead gets magged forward at speed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Foulbrood has passed, Lord Koth is up as an actual participant!

I still haven't heard from SolusLunes or Losanda, so sheepdodger and the Goon formerly known as Cis should both stand by just in case.

And now you know why missions now call for more Alternates than actual players.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 7, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I give up. I can't find the line I was referencing and I can't read any more TRO pages about tanks.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Defiance Industries posted:

I give up. I can't find the line I was referencing and I can't read any more TRO pages about tanks.

I think it was a medium to heavy tank with that discription.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Probably something with only one Gauss Rifle. The Regulator, maybe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably something with only one Gauss Rifle. The Regulator, maybe?

That was the very first entry I went to and it is not that one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Check the Challenger X. I'm sure you have already, I just have... suspicions.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

I still haven't heard from SolusLunes or Losanda, so sheepdodger and the Goon formerly known as Cis should both stand by just in case.

Losanda wrote a fairly long piece of fluff about choosing the Davion Assault Option. So it sounds like he definitely knows he's in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Losanda wrote a fairly long piece of fluff about choosing the Davion Assault Option. So it sounds like he definitely knows he's in.

But they didn't respond to the PM that asked them to respond to the PM? :psyduck:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

But they didn't respond to the PM that asked them to respond to the PM? :psyduck:

PTN, we're goons. What are you expecting?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

the JJ posted:

PTN, we're goons. What are you expecting?

You should expect this: (from Eve):

Relevant: https://soundcloud.com/shutupandshave/gently caress-goons

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

:science: Obviously the pressure of the falling slug is what sets off the firing sequence much like a hammer from an old wild west revolver coming down sets off the bullet, shell never hits the coils and instead gets magged forward at speed.

Not quite this but close. A permanently charged superconductor electromagnet could indeed act as a cushion and align the shell perfectly for the rest of the coils to pick up and launch it. This is in fact the (strongly) recommended method of chamber a round for a coilgun/gauss gun for the simple reason that you don't need a barrel and you most certainly don't want you shell touching anything inside the gun while you're firing. A sufficiently strong magnetic field can hold the shell in place for the shot.

Of course you don't use the shell entering said field as the trigger to fire, because that would mean a pretty substantial delay between pulling the trigger and the gun going off and nobody would want that. Right?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well if my personal experience during my turn is any benchmark, some goons can be pretty good at ignoring all sorts of important poo poo. I'm surprised you expected anything more. :smith:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, it's my own fault for putting a comma instead of a period in the final line. I made it look like I only wanted a quick response from someone who needed to pass their turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Foulbrood has passed, Lord Koth is up as an actual participant!

So far, choices-wise, we have, what? 1 Kurita Front Line & 1 Davion Assault?

Probably run either the Air Cav or Davion Recon then, though I'll take the Artillery if no one else chooses it, for better obliterating my team-mates with friendly fire hitting any vulnerable targets the Clans leave open. Still giving it some thought though.

Could I get a quick rundown on VTOL movement though?

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

Lord Koth posted:

So far, choices-wise, we have, what? 1 Kurita Front Line & 1 Davion Assault?

Probably run either the Air Cav or Davion Recon then, though I'll take the Artillery if no one else chooses it, for better obliterating my team-mates with friendly fire hitting any vulnerable targets the Clans leave open. Still giving it some thought though.

Could I get a quick rundown on VTOL movement though?

I did pick the Davion Assault because I think they are the best match to body guard the Artillery (turrets and armor) while I can spot with the Wasp. Once. Someone better pick that bloody Big Bertha!

PTN: PM is out, I got the last line wrong, sorry for the delay.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Basically VTOLs go very fast but you have to spend MP changing elevation up or down. This is because if you are at height 0 and enter a woods hex, for example, or run into a height 1 hill, you crash. If you were at 2 height, though, you cruise right over. You dig?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can also get PSR's from various things, and failing them causes you to lose height and slide, just like a tank or mech. If you happen to crash into the ground or slide into a forest, bad things happen.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for some tank advice. I've never played battle tech before, so with the two choices we already have what should I pick that will be newbie friendly without skewing the team makeup?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Anti-Aircraft might be a good option. Someone is going to have to deal with those Donars, and none of the three vehicles in the set are particularly hard to use.

vv Edit: Yeah, the Manticores are a good option too. They're nicely balanced.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 8, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
You can't go wrong with picking more of the Manticore option if you're feeling skittish - it's pretty newbie-friendly, has good range, and has the lowest BV, meaning you chip away at the number of units PTN can bring to the party. You're slow as dirt, but frankly that's to be expected with IS tanks; the main battle force is going to want to advance in concert and work together, and in that area being slow actually helps a little bit, given that it discourages you from running off into suicide/kamikaze missions.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You probably can't go wrong with a second Kurita frontline option. Add in the Davion Assault and some lighter options (and perhaps a Long Tom) and you have a nicely-rounded force.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It sounds like most of the other players are going to stick with the heavier tanks, so I'm leaning towards either the Davion Recon option or the Hover Assault option. Gotta go fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

hooman posted:

I'm looking for some tank advice. I've never played battle tech before, so with the two choices we already have what should I pick that will be newbie friendly without skewing the team makeup?

The AAA team is really solid!

• Locked thread