Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Two 22 minute shorts and 2 movies? Jesus DC/WB, I know you guys got burnt on Beware the Batman sucking or not hitting your target demo or whatever but just make a drat series already, don't do all this tiptoeing around the thing.

Not that they gave it a chance. They had 26 episodes and killed it at ether episode 11.

Honestly it was a not a bad show. It was not the best Batman show but it was decent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not that they gave it a chance. They had 26 episodes and killed it at ether episode 11.

Honestly it was a not a bad show. It was not the best Batman show but it was decent.

It actually finished a while ago, Cartoon Network burned through it really quick at some lovely time in the early morning just to be over and done with it.

The last few episodes actually weren't that bad either.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'll give Beware the Batman credit for not just using the popular established villains and going for the more obscure ones, at least. They were mostly crap though, so they were either obscure for a reason or the did a lovely job with them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anora posted:

It starts to feel like the Antilife equation and Darksied are just a metaphor for the substantial "un-funning" of the DC universe and the editors in chief. Which would explain why he seems to get crammed in every where now. (or at least for a while, haven't really read that many new 52 books.)

I'm fairly sure that factors into Multiversity somehow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThermoPhysical posted:

It actually finished a while ago, Cartoon Network burned through it really quick at some lovely time in the early morning just to be over and done with it.

The last few episodes actually weren't that bad either.

I know they did. But once episode 11 happened it was pulled for no explained reason. Then Months later they put the remaining episodes on Toonami. 7 episodes before the end, Cartoon Network then said the show was being written off. (Meaning they would lose the right to air it.) So to Toonami aired the last 7 episodes in one go because if they did not do it that way they would not be able to air the last 7 episodes at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's like the whole plot of Multiversity.

Veotax posted:

I'll give Beware the Batman credit for not just using the popular established villains and going for the more obscure ones, at least. They were mostly crap though, so they were either obscure for a reason or the did a lovely job with them.

They all ended up clones of the better known ones anyway.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

WickedHate posted:

They all ended up clones of the better known ones anyway.

Basically because you had a bunch of script writers all psyched to work on a Batman production, and then very bitter that they had to go and rewrite all their meticulously constructed cat puns into bird puns because suddenly the black-clad, animal-themed master thief who flirts with Batman is "Magpie" now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fuego Fish posted:

Basically because you had a bunch of script writers all psyched to work on a Batman production, and then very bitter that they had to go and rewrite all their meticulously constructed cat puns into bird puns because suddenly the black-clad, animal-themed master thief who flirts with Batman is "Magpie" now.

She doesn't even look like Magpie at all. What was the loving point?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is there a quick, non-spoilery, summary for Multiversity? Like, with Marvel's Secret Wars/Battleworld, you could say "the Marvel Multiverse is collapsing, resulting in a fight for survival amongst the super heroes and villains of their Earths."

What is the log line for Multiversity? I'm so behind in DC comics at this point ( I JUST finished Forever Evil) that I am afraid to look it up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there a quick, non-spoilery, summary for Multiversity? Like, with Marvel's Secret Wars/Battleworld, you could say "the Marvel Multiverse is collapsing, resulting in a fight for survival amongst the super heroes and villains of their Earths."

What is the log line for Multiversity? I'm so behind in DC comics at this point ( I JUST finished Forever Evil) that I am afraid to look it up.

You just gotta start reading it. It's so, so, so good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fuego Fish posted:

These are the same writers that had Batman team up with a ninja, and turned Alfred into Jason Statham. Something tells me they weren't exactly thrilled to write batman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

"Heroes from across the multiverses have to work together to stop a disaster"

Alternatively: "Writer Grant Morrison got hopped up on the latest, illest drugs"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

"Heroes from across the multiverses have to work together to stop a disaster"

Alternatively: "Writer Grant Morrison got hopped up on the latest, illest drugs"

So it's a Crisis.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

An outside force threatens the multiverse. The multiverse teams up to fight back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yvonmukluk posted:

Nix Uotan is really Geoff Johns, who was a fan of comics, got himself in to the business, then went native and is now actively undoing/GrimDarking poo poo in the bright universe he once appreciated.

This applies to most comic fans, really.

redbackground posted:

An outside force threatens the multiverse. The multiverse teams up to fight back.
Turns out comics are message posts/warning beacons from nth space and, much like that Darkwing Duck episode, catalogue events that have/will happen In other realities.

Also there's one super cursed comic that serves as a doorway to ruin.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

She doesn't even look like Magpie at all. What was the loving point?
Because Magpie reimagined as Lady Gaga is a great redesign.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Aphrodite posted:

So it's a Crisis.

Yeah kinda, there are a couple of red sky's even

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I missed most of Batman Brave and the Bold when it was running on Cartoon Network when it first aired, dismissing it as something that just could never hold a candle to BTAS, but I was eventually won over by it and loved it's light hearted take. So I recently decided to watch all 3 seasons on Netflix, and having just watched the episode Chill of the Night oh my god, I feel like that was one of the most powerful Batman anything I have ever seen. I was floored by it, like it was the perfect episode.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

KomradeX posted:

So I missed most of Batman Brave and the Bold when it was running on Cartoon Network when it first aired, dismissing it as something that just could never hold a candle to BTAS, but I was eventually won over by it and loved it's light hearted take. So I recently decided to watch all 3 seasons on Netflix, and having just watched the episode Chill of the Night oh my god, I feel like that was one of the most powerful Batman anything I have ever seen. I was floored by it, like it was the perfect episode.

Yeah, to me, it felt like an unused BTAS script. Conroy and Hamill as the Stranger and Spectre were a treat, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That episode hastened the doom of the series. :(

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lurdiak posted:

That episode hastened the doom of the series. :(

How so?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The show's creators feel people saw that episode, thought it was great, and took away the message "Batman is best when dark", and producers agreed with them. It fast tracked Beware The Batman's production, and BatB's premature cancelation.

I mean Bat-mite all but directly tells the audience as much in the finale.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

The show's creators feel people saw that episode, thought it was great, and took away the message "Batman is best when dark", and producers agreed with them. It fast tracked Beware The Batman's production, and BatB's premature cancelation.

People who thought that BatB wasn't "dark" enough to be a good Batman show need to be punched in the dick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

People who thought that BatB wasn't "dark" enough to be a good Batman show need to be punched in the dick.

It's gonna cost you a lot of air fare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsXKAtpLm4I

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I should not have been emotionally moved by a two-parter starring Bwana Beast, but that's the power of Brave and the Bold.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Lurdiak posted:

That finale might actually be my favorite episode of anything ever.

Ambush Bug is never going to be on TV ever again but I'm still amazed it happened at all.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It had a 65 episode run. That's a lot for a Saturday morning cartoon.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

It had a 65 episode run. That's a lot for a Saturday morning cartoon.

That's also the point at which many cartoons are cancelled, fairly arbitrarily. I'm sure there is some business speak formula some where that shows this is most cost efficient, while ignoring basically any huge hit that went past 65 episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

65 episodes of anything is pretty nice, considering how many shows struggle to make more than one season.

I don't think the show was a huge hit either? I got the impression it was doing okay, but not amazing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Srice posted:

65 episodes of anything is pretty nice, considering how many shows struggle to make more than one season.

I don't think the show was a huge hit either? I got the impression it was doing okay, but not amazing.

Yeah regarding the success of the show, it was ok but not amazing from my understanding as well.

I was just more mentioning that stuff because I had heard it mentioned in a few other cartoon threads, about shows getting cancelled because they reached 60-65 episodes. Or shows being forced into weird shake-ups and name changes or something like that. People were worried that Adventure Time and Regular Show would be cancelled because they reached that limit at one point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

That's also the point at which many cartoons are cancelled, fairly arbitrarily. I'm sure there is some business speak formula some where that shows this is most cost efficient, while ignoring basically any huge hit that went past 65 episodes.

It's because it's enough for syndication and around the point where people in the target age range get old enough to move onto something else.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah regarding the success of the show, it was ok but not amazing from my understanding as well.

I was just more mentioning that stuff because I had heard it mentioned in a few other cartoon threads, about shows getting cancelled because they reached 60-65 episodes. Or shows being forced into weird shake-ups and name changes or something like that. People were worried that Adventure Time and Regular Show would be cancelled because they reached that limit at one point.

Disney used to have a specific policy to do that with all their cartoons, that's why Kim Possible was canceled and than uncanceled.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ZDar Fan posted:

Yeah, to me, it felt like an unused BTAS script. Conroy and Hamill as the Stranger and Spectre were a treat, too.

It did feel like an unused episode of BTAS note that you mention it. Though didn't BTAS do an episode with Joe Chill? I have to rewatch the series. I could be confusing it with the episode where Grayson confronts the guy who killed his parents.

If this episode is what convinced them that Batman needs to be dark and gave us Beware the Batman, well O didn't think BtB was that dark to begin with. They never seem to learn that people resond to good writing instead they just want to spam out crappy grim dark bs, or a grim dark as kids cartoons will allow

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KomradeX posted:

They never seem to learn that people resond to good writing instead they just want to spam out crappy grim dark bs, or a grim dark as kids cartoons will allow
I'll never stop laughing over the guys that took 90s grimdark superstars WildC.A.T.S and UltraForce, gave them the G.I Joe treatment and turned them into lukewarm SatAM properties.

As bad as BatB' cancelation was, Ted McGinley Aquaman was a great joke.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did Cartoon Network just have problems with action shows in general? Before BatB, and the other DC Nation shows got cancelled, it seemed like Clone Wars, Ben 10, and Generator Rex were getting kicked around a lot, and I don't remember seeing advertisements for entire seasons of those shows.

Also, I just found out that Ben 10 Omniverse had 80 episodes. Whaaat?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Did Cartoon Network just have problems with action shows in general? Before BatB, and the other DC Nation shows got cancelled, it seemed like Clone Wars, Ben 10, and Generator Rex were getting kicked around a lot, and I don't remember seeing advertisements for entire seasons of those shows.

Also, I just found out that Ben 10 Omniverse had 80 episodes. Whaaat?

Well I think Clone Wars is easily explained by its sale to Disney, but it's odd scheduling well I have no idea what Cartoon Network things with that some times. I rather liked Generator Rex I thought it was interesting, I also like that remake of Thundercats they did, and Symboinic Titan was really good too.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I thought that Thundercats spelled out its own demise by having a two-parter pilot episode that set up this complex, sword-and-sorcery style world and then immediately started rehashing lovely Eighties plots that were just stuff like "baby's first Moby Dick" or all about cuddly robot bears. It didn't know what it wanted to be.

Sym-Bionic Titan was amazing, though. It was a giant robot show where three robots formed into a different robot, had a different opponent every week, and that's not even including the giant floating city-sized G3 HQ with its future-styled fighter jets. But it "didn't have enough toyetic possibility" or whatever the bullshit reason for cancelling it was.

The only decent action-based cartoon that's even on nowadays is Nickelodeon's TMNT... maybe Star Wars Rebels as well. Cartoon Network has really dropped the fuckin' ball considering what they used to have in their lineup.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The saddest thing about Green Lantern the Animated Series is that it didn't sell because of toy retailers getting burned at the movie failing, which is the thing that greenlit the Animated Series in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

The saddest thing about Green Lantern the Animated Series is that it didn't sell because of toy retailers getting burned at the movie failing, which is the thing that greenlit the Animated Series in the first place.

The guy who voiced Razer recorded his own epilogue for the character. It basically was Razer runs out of air and dies. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

I thought that Thundercats spelled out its own demise by having a two-parter pilot episode that set up this complex, sword-and-sorcery style world and then immediately started rehashing lovely Eighties plots that were just stuff like "baby's first Moby Dick" or all about cuddly robot bears. It didn't know what it wanted to be.

Sym-Bionic Titan was amazing, though. It was a giant robot show where three robots formed into a different robot, had a different opponent every week, and that's not even including the giant floating city-sized G3 HQ with its future-styled fighter jets. But it "didn't have enough toyetic possibility" or whatever the bullshit reason for cancelling it was.

The only decent action-based cartoon that's even on nowadays is Nickelodeon's TMNT... maybe Star Wars Rebels as well. Cartoon Network has really dropped the fuckin' ball considering what they used to have in their lineup.

They also botched the He-Man reboot.

CN has definitely had issues with action type shows. But Clone Wars didn't have any issues. It lasted for 5 seasons and the 6th season was wrecked because of the Disney purchase. I just wish Rebels had the same tone as the later episodes of Clone Wars. It definitely dialed things back quite a bit. It's not as kiddy as CW had been at times, but it definitely feels like they are trying to keep it some what light for the kids, even though it airs at 9pm.

• Locked thread