Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not necessarily at sxsw but I know there's groups out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Soricidus posted:

seriously can we have that revolution sooner rather than later, please?

i'll make the wiki

well the Florida Republican Party is in open revolt against him as he's currently getting pilloried for using the florida department of law enforcement as a bludgeon against people he doesn't like (causing its head to go into forced retirement as he refused to go along with it) and maybe this investigation will own him unlike the other 50

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

also dc won't appeal to any startup dumbasses because there is no end of people in the region that take great glee in pointing out doubletalk and crushing mindless optimism.

not to mention that many of the industries they want to "disrupt" have extremely heavy lobbying presence and the connections to make running a business a never ending string of mysteriously disappearing paperwork and building leases not being renewed. it's a bit like deciding to protest a murderous despot outside the building his firing squads live and train.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shifty Pony posted:

also dc won't appeal to any startup dumbasses because there is no end of people in the region that take great glee in pointing out doubletalk and crushing mindless optimism.

lol yes no doubletalk in dc

startups like places with lots of talent with current skills, with a bonus of cheaper labor/real estate than SF

while theres a lot of it employment in the area, six and a half figgy cobol developers who produce 10 pages of memos per 1 line of code and northrup's hpux administrators with twenty page ITIL compliant change request forms are anathema to treps

im sure dc would like to diversify so they arent detroit but with gov/mil instead of cars but lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

hahaha, car commuter spotted.

Take the bus, dumbass. save the car for the weekends

lolno, i walk to work (at least when it's not -10 degrees out with three feet of snow on the ground)

weekends don't magically turn city streets and highways into sweet racecourses where speed limits don't apply, though. maybe it's different out in fuckshit nowhere, but if you're in or near a city, the only use you have for zero-to-sixty performance is having to wait for less of a traffic gap before making a left turn

Shifty Pony posted:

not to mention that many of the industries they want to "disrupt" have extremely heavy lobbying presence and the connections to make running a business a never ending string of mysteriously disappearing paperwork and building leases not being renewed. it's a bit like deciding to protest a murderous despot outside the building his firing squads live and train.

startups do all that poo poo already, except they don't even bother with the connections and just bet on being able to get enough voters on their side for a bespoke custom law before the court system catches up to them

on the other hand, you've gotta be hopelessly naive to think that startup jackasses have any interest in moving to a place with more black people than whites and asians combined

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

startups like places with lots of talent with current skills, with a bonus of cheaper labor/real estate than SF

this does not describe dc at all. it's as expensive as sf with a much smaller pool of tech people

it's not an accident that most dc software firms are verticals serving govt and defense. catering to local industries is about the only reason you would want to start any kind of a business in the dc area

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this theory does not, however, explain livingsocial

does dc have some special advantage for small business loansharking?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol yes no doubletalk in dc

while theres a lot of it employment in the area, six and a half figgy cobol developers who produce 10 pages of memos per 1 line of code and northrup's hpux administrators with twenty page ITIL compliant change request forms are anathema to treps

im sure dc would like to diversify so they arent detroit but with gov/mil instead of cars but lol

i never said there wasn't doubletalk in dc. nobody better than the masters of the craft to call out amateur hour poo poo like calling jitney cabs ridesharing.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this does not describe dc at all. it's as expensive as sf with a much smaller pool of tech people

it's not an accident that most dc software firms are verticals serving govt and defense

which is what makes their decision to spend $500k at SXSW even more puzzling. very clearly fad chasing and I can't wait for SXSW to implode with the bubble.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I still don't get why SXSW became so popular for tech poo poo when it was originally just a bunch of lovely bands playing at different bars?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I still don't get why SXSW became so popular for tech poo poo when it was originally just a bunch of lovely bands playing at different bars?

bubblers like to pretend they're down and with it with festival culture, see burning man

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

it started with cd-rom "multimedia" poo poo in the 1990s. they thought it would be edgy and cool to have that poo poo adjacent to their experimental music festival

people actually thought 320x240 clips with "interactive" bits were gonna be the dominant medium of the 21st century. there were cd-rom "multimedia" "magazines" and poo poo

obviously all of that stuff is gone, but the pretentious fucks who birthed it are still there

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

triple sulk posted:

twitter did a thing at sxsw in 2007 when they first launched so now everyone thinks that to be a successful startup you need to show up at sxsw

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, thats why i said it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

the only time gov/mil bubble is going to pop is with some nuclear bombs buddy.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

twitter did a thing at sxsw in 2007 when they first launched so now everyone thinks that to be a successful startup you need to show up at sxsw

I know Twitter was there, just can't loving believe that companies still feel the need to do it, nevermind that Twitter is in the Shitter!!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

exactly

i'm sure the most recession-proof city in the nation is scrambling to retool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

exactly

i'm sure the most recession-proof city in the nation is scrambling to retool

tell it to victims of the sequester...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah exactly. there's a lot of money here it's just accessed differently. you get it by being by being cynical beyond human recognition and cold until you're measured in kelvin. not by getting high off your own farts. it's just as terrible here, just terrible in a different kind of way.

PCjr sidecar posted:

lmao no. dc ain't going anywhere without taking the rest of the world down with it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nintendo Kid posted:

i've got a great startup idea, it's like uber but for drone strikes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tell it to victims of the sequester...
you mean the 1.5 week paid vacation? it was pretty rad.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
uber launching in-app 'panic button' in india

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
DC is covered with non-government tech. Amazon, wikimedia, every single teclo / computer hardware / networking / OS company has offices. Oracle, SAP, verisign, hell even thinkgeek is based here.

It's not really wall-to-wall government contracting. There's a lot, but it's not even a major percentage of the overall tech industry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ruby idiot railed posted:

uber launching in-app 'panic button' in india
"my driver forgot condoms"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

DC is covered with non-government tech. Amazon, wikimedia, every single teclo / computer hardware / networking / OS company has offices. Oracle, SAP, verisign, hell even thinkgeek is based here.

It's not really wall-to-wall government contracting. There's a lot, but it's not even a major percentage of the overall tech industry.

*coughlobbyingcough*

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Nah, all this is outside the beltway. No lobbyist is going to live out past the beltway in DC and commute in, not with traffic the way it is. Lobbyists have separate offices actually in the district.

VVV not anymore, Mae East got moved to Loudoun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the entire internet runs through fairfax, va, so all the telecoms do lots of work here, too

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bhodi posted:

lots of tech companies have offices in beltway land because they sell to government agencies and work huge contracts and need to influence legislation and regulations

theres definitely a tech culture around dc, its just the exact opposite of the entrepreneurial/disruptive/app 3.0 economy nonsense that the bay area currently incubates and that sxsw is supposedly promoting

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
True, pretty sure the startup bullshit would get laughed out of the region. People just won't deal with that poo poo, kind of like NY. I suspect it's a east coast / west coast culture thing but I dunno since I've never worked on the west coast.

Here's something funny, though. Startup in Utah has a 32 hour workweek:

quote:

Treehouse is closed every Friday. The 80-and-counting employees work a 32-hour work week Monday through Thursday. On Fridays, employees are expected to be home, with their families, having fun, doing something, anything, other than work.

And is, if course, soundly mocked by all other startups:

quote:

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has said she worked 130 hours a week at Google. And in a post that went viral, Michael Arrington, founder of TechCrunch and now a tech investor, wrote: “Startups are hard. So work more, cry less, and quit all the whining.”

“As far as I’m concerned, working 32 hours a week is a part-time job,” Arrington, said in an interview.

quote:

“It’s really about survival,” said McDerment, CEO of FreshBooks, a cloud-based accounting software firm. “It’s this kind of us-against-the -world mentality. You’re competing with multibillion-dollar companies that want to crush you out of existence. You have to work your rear end off just to survive until tomorrow.”

quote:

The four-day schedule actually cost Treehouse one of its initial investors. “He said, ‘I don’t think you’re serious,’ ” Carson said. “I said, ‘Thanks for being honest, but I’ll prove you wrong.’ ”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

even thinkgeek, with its meaty technical challenges? what a pedigree.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Since there's basically a 100% chance of something they sell sitting in your office right now, I sort of thought they qualified.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bhodi posted:

And is, if course, soundly mocked by all other startups:

i really hope that's not true marissa because there are only 168 hours in a week

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

i really hope that's not true marissa because there are only 168 hours in a week

How'd she do it? By being clinically insane

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

computer parts posted:

that leaves her like 4 whole hours a night to sleep. that's PLENTY

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Funny that Marissa is mocking a company for their practices when she's actively doing a great job at running one into the ground

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

Since there's basically a 100% chance of something they sell sitting in your office right now, I sort of thought they qualified.

even if that were true, it's like saying Frito-Lay is a tech company because people have them on their computer desks (they probably have more interesting tech challenges than thinkgeek, though)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jesus Christ

quote:

When Mayer suspects an employee might burn out, she asks them to find their rhythm. They've come back with, "I need to be home for Tuesday night dinners," or "I need to be on time for my daughter's soccer games." She grants those needs--no exceptions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Jesus Christ
only its sensible and okay? (i assume they get their jobe done in other time)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the end goal of startups is employees working 120 hours a week eating soylent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

kalstrams posted:

only its sensible and okay? (i assume they get their jobe done in other time)

you misunderstand. the implied continuation of that thought is "Jesus Christ, she's a loving nazi if she thinks that 'being home to eat dinner with your family' or 'attending your kid's soccer game' is an abnormal request that requires special boss permission"

• Locked thread