Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is it jail broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FCKGW posted:

Is it jail broken?

Sorry, should have said. No it is not.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

xzzy posted:

Apple deserves some kind of award for shoving 12 versions of iTunes down our throat and never once stopping for a moment and asking themselves if a rewrite is appropriate.

They have rewritten the library management piece of iTunes actually.

All the iTunes hate makes me chuckle.

"iTunes uses 100MB+ of RAM!!!"
Oh sorry is this 2001? Have you looked at what Chrome uses?

For all its flaws I think iTunes is probably still the best out of the box solution there is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
All the iTunes hate is justified because it's a giant pile of poo poo, and not because of memory usage. I don't care what they have rewritten, it still can't reliably move music from my loving computer to my phone, which is the only goddamn reason it's installed on most people's computers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

iTunes is total poo poo and I don't care about RAM at all. It's a pain in the rear end to sync music with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

My wife has an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 (she never updates). She clicked on a phishing link. It spammed her entire gmail address book. She says it's now jumping around when she uses it. Could somebody be controlling her phone remotely? Anything we can do to check and/or get rid of it? TIA!

If it's jumping around it may just be haunted by a malicious spirit. You should contact your local catholic priest.

Just have her backup to iTunes (check the box to encrypt the backup) and restore and see if that fixes it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Chemmy posted:

iTunes is total poo poo and I don't care about RAM at all. It's a pain in the rear end to sync music with.

Hah, how apropos. I just figured this delightful little iTunes "feature" out. Crossposting from the itunes thread:

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is wonky as gently caress and I'm probably just missing some setting but goddamnit I'm going nuts.

A few days ago I had to reinstall iTunes due to a patch getting hosed up. Whatever, I downloaded the install .dmg and was back up and running in no time. A few small preferences here and there had to be re-set but no big deal.

Fast forward two days and iTunes will not stop downloading every app I've ever purchased. It's filled my HD up three different times. I've turned off automatic downloading of purchases via the store tab in preferences, to no avail. Three times today alone it has started chugging through the large number of purchased but not currently used apps I've got on my iTunes account, only stopping when the HD gets full. I can't find where to stop this. :psyduck:

Mid 2009 MBP running 10.10.2 and the latest version of iTunes on a family share if that matters.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Self quoting because I managed to finally track down an answer to this. Holy gently caress this is the most unintuitive, terrible UI design I have ever seen and I can't loving believe Apple hid a feature this important like this.

I figured out quite quickly that the downloads were coming from the family share, but couldn't figure out a way to stop them.

There is a settings button for the family share that lets you manage what media (music, movies, apps, etc) you want to automatically download from what members of your home share. The catch is that they need to be logged in and you need to be browsing their family share. ONLY when you browse to their library a "settings" button appears in the lower right of the iTunes window (not where they put any settings buttons or tabs anywhere else on anything else, either in the program or the whole loving OS) and from there you can uncheck all the poo poo you don't want automatically downloaded.

You're connected to their library but viewing your own? Even auto-downloading from them at that moment? That button won't show up. It doesn't even gray out or do something else to indicate it's disabled, it just loving disappears.

A loving disappearing settings button that is only visible when you are actively browsing their library but which controls automatic functions that kick off even if you aren't looking at their poo poo. Motherfucking :wtc: :psyduck:

A really important settings button that disappears (not grays out, DISAPPEARS) except for under a specific set of circumstances which affects how much poo poo your computer just crams into your HD from the family share. Said settings button is in a place that is non standard within both the program and the OS as a whole. gently caress, this isn't just bad UI, it's borderline malevolent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like how because I apparently have too much music to autosync all at once, I have to manually sync all 100GB+ of music to my phone a couple of rows of albums at a time or else it won't work, and if iTunes ever fucks up or if I reinstall Windows (which I had to do like a month and a half ago when I got a new SSD), I have to erase all the music from my phone and re-sync all of it manually before I can add any more music to my phone :shepicide:

I know I'm an edge case, but still. It seems like they could've easily made iTunes more user-friendly over the years and they just haven't.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have to erase all the music from my phone and re-sync all of it manually before I can add any more music to my phone :shepicide:

I've transferred computers many times and never had to do this if iTunes was properly backed up and restored.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

benisntfunny posted:

I've transferred computers many times and never had to do this if iTunes was properly backed up and restored.
Well then how do I do that? I've got all my music in one folder (an iTunes folder containing folders for each artist and folders within those folders for each album) that I set as the default directory every time I install iTunes. Aside from adding some new artists/albums every now and then, that doesn't change.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

This has nothing to do with the issue he's talking about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I consider myself pretty well versed in OSX and iPhones but can anyone explain what EXACTLY is going on with iPhoto/ my iCloud photo stream?

How does the iPhone choose what to stick up on my iCloud.com photo stream? Can I delete these from my phone?
What exactly is the "My Photo Stream" that appears in the iCloud tab in the iPhoto app on OSX? Can I access this from my iPhone/iCloud.com? I don't think so?

The whole process is so loving confusing, the sooner we get Photos, the better.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 8, 2015

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bottom Liner posted:

This has nothing to do with the issue he's talking about.

Wrong. It does.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well then how do I do that? I've got all my music in one folder (an iTunes folder containing folders for each artist and folders within those folders for each album) that I set as the default directory every time I install iTunes. Aside from adding some new artists/albums every now and then, that doesn't change.

You need to do step 3 in my instructions.

Step1: Install iTunes
Step2: Copy over your music folder and all the iTunes junk in there
Step3: Copy over the folders in AppData > Local for Apple Computer and Apple into your new AppData > Local folder.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Wrong. It does.

Wel I have he same exact problem and I've never moved my library from computer to computer.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wel I have he same exact problem and I've never moved my library from computer to computer.

Well his occurred when moving computers and didn't do it correctly. Yours happens because you're terrible at iTunes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Well his occurred when moving computers and didn't do it correctly. Yours happens because iTunes is terrible.

You're right.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
ITunes got so unmanageable that it was worth the $25 for Match just to have a way to get my music on my phone. Every time I try to synch via iTunes it threatens to erase my whole Phone, and I'm like "well gently caress you then" and I just give up again.

Question: I'm using Swype and too much of the time when I pull down to search using Spotlight, I get the search box but no keyboard. Only way to fix it is to open some app that uses the Swype keyboard (like notepad or something), then close it and go back to spotlight. Is anyone else getting this, and know how to fix it? This app has been out now for about four months, isn't that enough time for them to figure out how to fix it?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

jackpot posted:

ITunes got so unmanageable that it was worth the $25 for Match just to have a way to get my music on my phone. Every time I try to synch via iTunes it threatens to erase my whole Phone, and I'm like "well gently caress you then" and I just give up again.

Question: I'm using Swype and too much of the time when I pull down to search using Spotlight, I get the search box but no keyboard. Only way to fix it is to open some app that uses the Swype keyboard (like notepad or something), then close it and go back to spotlight. Is anyone else getting this, and know how to fix it? This app has been out now for about four months, isn't that enough time for them to figure out how to fix it?

It's a problem with how all third party keyboards work, and it appears to be an iOS bug that only Apple can solve. They havenlt yet though.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Tomorrow is upgrade day! Thinking of jumping from 5 to 6+, but I'm wondering... what's the best way to selectively restore apps? I think I want to transfer contacts, notes, calendar, voice memos, and that's all -- just leave behind two years of accreted mess under the hood and all my soon-to-be inert jailbreak fuckery. I assume that can be done with some kind of third party app at least?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
iTunes.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I thought iTunes was all or nothing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Contacts / Calendars / Notes can all be done via iCloud sync. I thought there was an individual option for voice memo backup on iTunes but I can't find it now. At the very least you should be able to transfer them from your phone to your computer.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
The way I'm reading it, you can just pick which apps to store on iCloud, which will be included when you do a wipe and full restore from iCloud, which still brings a lot of underlying junk from previous iOSes and hardware.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Duck and burger posted:

Tomorrow is upgrade day! Thinking of jumping from 5 to 6+, but I'm wondering... what's the best way to selectively restore apps? I think I want to transfer contacts, notes, calendar, voice memos, and that's all -- just leave behind two years of accreted mess under the hood and all my soon-to-be inert jailbreak fuckery. I assume that can be done with some kind of third party app at least?

6+ is too big, don't do it. Unless you put it in a purse all day long.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Duck and burger posted:

The way I'm reading it, you can just pick which apps to store on iCloud, which will be included when you do a wipe and full restore from iCloud, which still brings a lot of underlying junk from previous iOSes and hardware.
iCloud backup and iCloud sync are two different things. iCloud sync can transfer your contacts/notes/calendar without bringing over all your settings and other residual junk of a regular backup.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

iCloud backup and iCloud sync are two different things. iCloud sync can transfer your contacts/notes/calendar without bringing over all your settings and other residual junk of a regular backup.

Ah, I see. That doesn't cover voice memos or non-Apple apps, though, it seems.

Michael Scott posted:

Hahah. I watched my friend gently caress with his all weekend and it looked pretty great. But he is also a 6'5" viking.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

The 6+ fits in regular jeans pockets just fine...can't vouch for how it feels if you wear those testicle-constricting super skinnies though...

For me it's also very useable one-handed for web browsing / navigating the UI...one-handed texting is tricky though...

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

The 6 feels laughably small after about a day on the plus. I have tiny girly hands and love my 6+.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Michael Scott posted:

I've said this before in this thread: if you buy from Apple, you have 14 days to use the 6+ and make your own decision. Do it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Brock Landers posted:

I've said this before in this thread: if you buy from Apple, you have 14 days to use the 6+ and make your own decision. Do it.

Yup, this is what I did and also love the 6+ for everything except one-handed texting but that's only something I did while driving which you aren't supposed to do anyway so it's more like a built-in distracted driving safety mechanism. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is going to sound CRAZY: People have different preferences go to a store and play with one and make sure you can return it if you hate it after a day.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Michael Scott posted:

I've imagined the actual Michael Scott character saying this in my head.

With that said, I'm a 6'4" dude with a 6+. It took me a week to get used to the size, but now I can't see myself ever going back to a 5/5S/6 with how comically tiny it is. I can't believe I used to play games on a tiny screen.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

jackpot posted:

Signing up for Match does the exact same "erase" as syncing it does. It's erasing everything that you synced to it from your last iTunes library when you say OK to that, not the whole phone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

This is going to sound CRAZY: People have different preferences go to a store and play with one and make sure you can return it if you hate it after a day.

You'll need to give the 6+ more than 1 day to get comfy with it, but good thing is you have 14.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's true. I remember how weird my 6 felt at first, and now I laugh at how small 5s are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Yeah that's true. I remember how weird my 6 felt at first, and now I laugh at how small 5s are.

I had to help a friend with her 4S last week. It's loving ridiculous how small it felt.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I took a 5S with my on an overseas vacation and came to rather appreciate its size and my ability to reach everything on screen without shifting my hand. I never felt like it was cramped for anything I wanted to do except when the keyboard popped up and took 80% of the usable screen space. That said, I'm fine with my 6, but I can't see myself getting anything larger if I can help it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like vanilla ice cream. Thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

I like vanilla ice cream. Thoughts?

Look at this nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU