Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scorps posted:

What was so bad about how "the swap went down"

Players got asked if they wanted to join and they did, clearly it was correct for Team Secret to do what they did and basically every team/player involved in the swaps thinks that they made the right decision (EG is 1 match away from grand finals with their new roster if you forgot). C9 probably came out the worst overall but Envy needs a team that loses and gets motivated by it and n0tail certainly has experience losing with Fnatic already.

The tales of people "stealing" other players or whatever is greatly exaggerated

it was bad because notail is now on a team which is about 100 levels down in skill and consistency from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

alansmithee posted:

I liked them previously but how the swap went down kinda soured me on them. Also it seems they can smash bad teams but a lot of their wins against the better teams seem like Alliance 2.0 rat tactics which are effective but not all that fun to watch imo.

rat dota best dota

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Taffer posted:

it was bad because notail is now on a team which is about 100 levels down in skill and consistency from him

Yeah on a personal level it sucks for n0tail but it was clearly a good move for Secret, they did not play anywhere near this well with their old lineup. It was good but not as well executed as their current level.

From the outside teams just appear like a group of 5 friends but the actual dynamics I'm sure are much different. Teams can't get by just with friendship alone they want to win and will do anything to have the best chance to win.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Scorps posted:

Yeah on a personal level it sucks for n0tail but it was clearly a good move for Secret, they did not play anywhere near this well with their old lineup. It was good but not as well executed as their current level.

I think that has less to do with not having n0tail and more with trading offlaners. Zai has been a significant upgrade there and Kuroky is still offering enough as a support, especially in his rubick games.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think most people would say RTZ is a better carry than Kuroky as well, clearly Secret think so as well

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Scorps posted:

Teams can't get by just with friendship alone

BG says otherwise :v:

Don't really want to go through 450 posts, did anything notable happen after the 1v1 finals? I hear Secret got hosed over in a game because they didn't carry TPs.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

IncendiaC posted:

Don't really want to go through 450 posts, did anything notable happen after the 1v1 finals? I hear Secret got hosed over in a game because they didn't carry TPs.

This happened.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scorps posted:

From the outside teams just appear like a group of 5 friends but the actual dynamics I'm sure are much different. Teams can't get by just with friendship alone they want to win and will do anything to have the best chance to win.

I'm not saying it was bad for secret, i didn't like them kicking notail but it clearly worked out best for their performance

I'm just sad notail got the bad end of the shuffle and is on a team with eternal anime now

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

IncendiaC posted:

Secret actually won the game because C9 didn't have TPs vs a Lycan.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I just watched the last c9 vs Secret game and missed the previous two. What was the EE all chat they were referencing?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

that one guy posted:

I just watched the last c9 vs Secret game and missed the previous two. What was the EE all chat they were referencing?

Secret were 8-0 with ench and chen before this serious and envy banned both before picks in all three games. Before creepspawn in the first game he typed "ench and chen" "8-0" in allchat, as to say he had them figured out.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Here is all you need to know about the ending of game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMgIYgQf_GQ

Special shoutout, they don't really show it but Bone7 standing in enemy fountain to die as an Axe with ~4k and an Aegis respawn, only to not have enough gold to even buyback and then just being dead. I need to watch the replay again but I'm fairly certain he could have just bought a TP in the enemy base instead of his "big play" (maybe Kuro cancelled his I don't recall)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Scorps posted:

Holy poo poo :lol:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Scorps posted:

Special shoutout, they don't really show it but Bone7 standing in enemy fountain to die as an Axe with ~4k and an Aegis respawn, only to not have enough gold to even buyback and then just being dead. I need to watch the replay again but I'm fairly certain he could have just bought a TP in the enemy base instead of his "big play" (maybe Kuro cancelled his I don't recall)

He had 4 second cooldown remaining on BB as the ancient exploded.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
What made it even better was that there was at least one tp scroll dropped in the rosh pit and everyone on c9 had free slots.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Scorps posted:

Winter in the background just going "oh no" over and over holy poo poo

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Tinny_Tim posted:

Secret actually won the game because C9 didn't have TPs vs a Lycan.

Just watched the end clip. Must have gotten the teams mixed up in my head.

TheRat posted:

This happened.

:allears:

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008

TheRat posted:

Secret were 8-0 with ench and chen before this serious and envy banned both before picks in all three games. Before creepspawn in the first game he typed "ench and chen" "8-0" in allchat, as to say he had them figured out.

Why the gently caress would you tip your hand like that for all three games? Does EE honestly think he's imposing enough to put them on tilt from series minute 0?

IdEEot.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nanomashoes posted:

tell me that game 2 wasn't fun to watch, motherfucker

It was fun because you got to see a an entire team make a 2k MMR pub mistake. Although most pubs would've at least tried attacking buildings rather than spin in circles for 30 seconds in the middle of the lane wondering what's happening.

Scorps posted:

What was so bad about how "the swap went down"

Players got asked if they wanted to join and they did, clearly it was correct for Team Secret to do what they did and basically every team/player involved in the swaps thinks that they made the right decision (EG is 1 match away from grand finals with their new roster if you forgot). C9 probably came out the worst overall but Envy needs a team that loses and gets motivated by it and n0tail certainly has experience losing with Fnatic already.

The tales of people "stealing" other players or whatever is greatly exaggerated
From my understanding, they asked Zai who didn't really want to go/was indifferent until RTZ said he wanted to go, so they went. Which then meant N0tail got kicked (who imo was probably playing the best out of the whole secret roster)

I still don't know if it's making Secret any better (depending on who they would've got to replace Fly that was a "free agent" or w/e). Everyone saying they're executing so much better or w/e but we've already seen them lose a game where they had megas and look extremely fragile against all the top teams in actual B03 situations. Like are people forgetting when secret first formed they went on some giant rampage and people were calling them the best team? I agree RTZ a better carry than KKY, but secret didn't even want him originally that was just the "cost" to get zai. Also it's not like anyone's gonna be like "oh yeah it sucked, these new dudes we got are actually way worse". Like I'd think with the money flooding in some dudes would start to realize the value of actually staying together rather than throwing a hissy fit because someone didn't retweet you fast enough or w/e and running to another team. Especially in a game where coordination and making the right plays/knowing when to back teammates is such a big deal.

Besides there's enough dudes sucking off secret in this thread already that having 1 or 2 not really liking them isn't gonna cause them any harm.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Arzachel posted:

What made it even better was that there was at least one tp scroll dropped in the rosh pit and everyone on c9 had free slots.

Yeah that's what I didn't get. I mean there were literally tp scrolls lying all over, and everyone had an empty slot (except maybe axe since he had aegis?). Like the scoreboard pic showing C9 with all empty slots and no tp vs. Secret with everyone with a tp or boots was really telling. Also they way they just kinda hesitated in lane-they didn't even really push the rax they just kinda milled about and did fuckall while they lost both top and bottom t3 towers. Just baffling.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Is there anything more basic than "always carry a TP" in Dota (without getting into literal newbie status)? Maybe in the next big LAN, C9 are going to throw by selling their boots and realize they don't have enough gold to buy BoTs.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Reminder that Alliance won TI3 because dendi didnt have a tpscroll

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

IncendiaC posted:

Is there anything more basic than "always carry a TP" in Dota (without getting into literal newbie status)? Maybe in the next big LAN, C9 are going to throw by selling their boots and realize they don't have enough gold to buy BoTs.

In the first game against Big God, Misery bought a refresher and sold his arcanes leaving him with too little mana to doublecast wards, does that count?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheRat posted:

Reminder that Alliance won TI3 because dendi didnt have a tpscroll

Yeah but to be fair he told his team this and they still went ahead anyway. Plus other members on their team had TPs but they got cancelled whereas not a single C9 member had one.

I just don't understand the end of that game, why didn't they go to the enemy fountain and buy tps instead of walking back, why not go for throne, why not do anything besides the worst option of milling around for thirty seconds and then trying to walk back to base. I mean poo poo you think a guy as tryhard as Envy would be better than 2k MMR players in decision making but no, he just fucks up over and over again in the same way players at level do.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Asuron posted:

Yeah but to be fair he told his team this and they still went ahead anyway. Plus other members on their team had TPs but they got cancelled whereas not a single C9 member had one.

I just don't understand the end of that game, why didn't they go to the enemy fountain and buy tps instead of walking back, why not go for throne, why not do anything besides the worst option of milling around for thirty seconds and then trying to walk back to base. I mean poo poo you think a guy as tryhard as Envy would be better than 2k MMR players in decision making but no, he just fucks up over and over again in the same way players at level do.

Is he the primary captain/shot caller? I know everyone clowns on him, but maybe they should get someone else to take the leadership stuff cause C9 does seem to have an inordinate amount of these kind of stupid mistakes. I don't think he's a bad player by any means, but maybe dude just gets too tightly wound or something?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Asuron posted:

Because most of them are young people that knows how to play video-game really well but can't deal with pressure on a pro athlete level

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

The amount of time they had to weigh "can we race them" vs "can we get back" was basically like 2 seconds while both of the T3's went down. I do think they should have ran into the base to try for TP but I think Kuroky was still there and so was Puppey

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
visage was alive so the chance of them buying a tp from the enemy foutain and using it was zero

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The guy who bought a deso at the enemy fountain so he could speed up his one man base race and beat a whole team's GG push probably could have thought about buying a TP at that same shop but.may have thought somebody had one?

I dunno. It feels like a team wide fail than EE specifically.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Envy forgot he had MoM so that deso didnt actually apply -armor :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't understand how that works but JFC Dota. This is why people call you the "more difficult" game. :psyduck:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TheRat posted:

Envy forgot he had MoM so that deso didnt actually apply -armor :v:

Latest acquired UAM takes precedence, so it does actually apply.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ojetor posted:

Standard Modifiers - Modifiers granted by items (an item will take priority depending on which is the oldest in your inventory, or in the case of illusions the first slot in reading order)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ojetor posted:

It didn't apply. And thats not how it works.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
UAMs that are abilities always take precedence. After that it's the first item added to your inventory, and finally for illusions it's the UAM in the highest slot because the illusions technically create your items one by one in the order they are in your inventory when they spawn.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
from earlier:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Luna Was Here posted:

from earlier:

He was going to die twice anyways but that timing is tragic

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Like someone said, the death explosion got a kill on the sniper, too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

resistentialism posted:

Like someone said, the death explosion got a kill on the sniper, too.

Someone on reddit watched the replay and apparently it was autoattacks killing him, not the explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Taffer posted:

You say this but Clown 9 is way better than Fnatic ever was and Secret is significantly better than it was with notail as well. In fact, the new C9 would most likely beat the old secret.

This player swap seems to have worked out better for everyone except PLD.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 8, 2015

• Locked thread