Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
also lol @ the article saying "your special requirement might be getting 8 hours of sleep a night, or going to yoga once a week" because i guess maintaining the bare minimum of personal health and fitness is now a la-dee-da look-at-me-putting-myself-above-the-company selfish move??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kalstrams posted:

only its sensible and okay? (i assume they get their jobe done in other time)

agree, I do the same thing. hire adults, treat them like adults, fire the ones who turn out to not be adults

otoh, I've never been asked to be the CEO of anything as big as Yahoo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

you misunderstand. the implied continuation of that thought is "Jesus Christ, she's a loving nazi if she thinks that 'being home to eat dinner with your family' or 'attending your kid's soccer game' is an abnormal request that requires special boss permission"
oh, that i agree with

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's not about it needing boss permission, it's the boss being explicit that it's a priority to be honored, to counteract peer and social pressure to stay late or whatever.

or: it's not about alleviating someone's fear that they're breaking a rule, it's about alleviating their fear that they'll be judged as "not a team player" for making that choice. it's the same reason I always make people file the maximum parental leave status, even if they can change it later: I don't want them to feel it'll be held against them if they decide to take more than the subset they originally planned.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

it's not about it needing boss permission, it's the boss being explicit that it's a priority to be honored, to counteract peer and social pressure to stay late or whatever.

i particularly like the part where she is the one who is applying that pressure in the first place by setting 130 hour weeks as the standard for "hard work"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

kind-of, it seems weird case in general and the way you put it only confuses me more. like, you just e-mail your boss "i have family x then and then, this is already done and that i will do so and so too keep up with plan" and just be done with it, i dont really see what this marissa is accenting at

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
lol if your workplace is so toxic that people get poo poo on for going home to spend time with their families unless the boss explicitly says to be nice

i don't even have a family to go home to, so i'm a prime candidate for bitterness, and i have zero problem with my colleagues checking out at 5pm on the dot and being out of contact until 9am monday. that's called health

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh yeah i just realized we're not talking about european workplaces here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soricidus posted:

i particularly like the part where she is the one who is applying that pressure in the first place by setting 130 hour weeks as the standard for "hard work"

note: 130 hour workweek makes it literally impossible to achieve either 8 hours of sleep a night, or going to yoga once a week, or going to your kid's soccer game, or eating dinner with your family, let alone any of those things together

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

or: it's not about alleviating someone's fear that they're breaking a rule, it's about alleviating their fear that they'll be judged as "not a team player" for making that choice.

"sure, sweetie, you can go home to your family. hey, email me those changes to the document when you get the chance. i'll be in my office between 6am and 2am 7 days a week so whenever is good. no, i don't look down on you at all!"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
personally i'm quite fond of my 37-hour work week (with contractual overtime if i'm required to do longer hours). i could earn more at a company that expected 80+ hours w/o overtime but why would i want to spend my entire waking life at work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in corporate japan, the expectation is that you be at work before your boss and leave after he leaves, and he has the same expectation with his bosses, and so on up the chain. salarymen live at work. i'm sure everyone knows this. it's so bad now that canon had to implement a mandatory "go home and have sex with your wife" program when subsets of employees are barred from entering the building for a day, because it wasn't happening otherwise.

but i'm sure the 80+ hour startup culture is totally healthy and sustainable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

corporate japan
:smith:

i remember reading about ncsoft's (bideojames i played as teen) office in russian gaming magazine. office, supermarkets, sport centres, parks, kindergartens, living halls - same one building.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kalstrams posted:

:smith:

i remember reading about ncsoft's (bideojames i played as teen) office in russian gaming magazine. office, supermarkets, sport centres, parks, kindergartens, living halls - same one building.

chinese state owned enterprises would do this and called them "cradle to grave" workplaces

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

in corporate japan, the expectation is that you be at work before your boss and leave after he leaves, and he has the same expectation with his bosses, and so on up the chain. salarymen live at work. i'm sure everyone knows this. it's so bad now that canon had to implement a mandatory "go home and have sex with your wife" program when subsets of employees are barred from entering the building for a day, because it wasn't happening otherwise.

pictured: graph of japanese birth vs death rate

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

this is the end goal of corporate America

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

yeah exactly. there's a lot of money here it's just accessed differently. you get it by being by being cynical beyond human recognition and cold until you're measured in kelvin. not by getting high off your own farts. it's just as terrible here, just terrible in a different kind of way.

what I find interesting about living in DC is that while people act that way to acquaintances and strangers, friendships are tight as hell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

people being cynical and aloof to strangers but friendly to their friends? woow that sure does sound like a thing unique to washington dc

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

people being cynical and aloof to strangers but friendly to their friends? woow that sure does sound like a thing unique to washington dc

replace aloof with being assholes and that's basically the inverse of the south

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bhodi posted:

DC is covered with non-government tech. Amazon, wikimedia, every single teclo / computer hardware / networking / OS company has offices. Oracle, SAP, verisign, hell even thinkgeek is based here.

It's not really wall-to-wall government contracting. There's a lot, but it's not even a major percentage of the overall tech industry.

what do you think oracle, redhat, sap, mcafee, etc are all doing there?

i worked at oracle for a bit and it was almost entirely government consulting. my old roommate was at red hat and they were doing almost entirely government consulting.

monster is actually across the parking lot from my office though. i don't think they do government consulting

anyways my point is what brings in the money is primarily government money and everything else follows from that. the reason there are other non-government oriented tech companies here is because there's so much talent already concentrated here because of the federales. if the fed somehow went bye-bye (lol) then you'd see all the private stuff dry up as well. and you're not gonna change the momentum of the beltway bandit juggernaut with a few internet cafes

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 8, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Endless Mike posted:

the entire internet runs through fairfax, va, so all the telecoms do lots of work here, too

people are always blown away by my 5 ping in cs:go matchmaking :pcgaming:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bhodi posted:

I suspect it's a east coast / west coast culture thing but I dunno since I've never worked on the west coast.

it's exactly this. i wish i had a dollar for every time a local recruiter told me about how their particular sub-contracting company totally gets the west coast culture and no seriously we're all sooo laid back here it's great and they're all wearing the same slacks and button downs standard issue business casual plugging away in their assigned cubicles working 8-5. its funny because i work in the same building as palantir who as far as i know are they only *actual* west coasters and everyone around here looks at them like they're from another planet

west coast culture will never, ever, come to the east coast. we may as well be separate countries.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
dc is the ultimate bubble it's been boom-towning for decades and will never stop

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Necc0 posted:

people are always blown away by my 5 ping in cs:go matchmaking :pcgaming:

wuts ur rank bro

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Necc0 posted:

dc is the ultimate bubble it's been boom-towning for decades and will never stop

it's because they're armed thugs stealing all our money

use bitcoin

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

wuts ur rank bro

DMG i could make eagle but i just dont have the time / will it requires

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

House beside mine just went up on the rental market. 1200 ft.², 2 br 1 ba, garage. $4000/mo :rip:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

what I find interesting about living in DC is that while people act that way to acquaintances and strangers, friendships are tight as hell.

yeah this is what i've heard. it's fun to visit and go out in dc and fun after you've met people, but the first ~year can be pretty rough. like everyone is cold and judgmental about who you work for and whatnot until they really know you.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

House beside mine just went up on the rental market. 1200 ft.², 2 br 1 ba, garage. $4000/mo :rip:

lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

grew up in South Carolina and...

computer parts posted:

replace aloof with being assholes and that's basically the inverse of the south

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

jesus where do i apply?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Necc0 posted:

it's exactly this. i wish i had a dollar for every time a local recruiter told me about how their particular sub-contracting company totally gets the west coast culture and no seriously we're all sooo laid back here it's great and they're all wearing the same slacks and button downs standard issue business casual plugging away in their assigned cubicles working 8-5. its funny because i work in the same building as palantir who as far as i know are they only *actual* west coasters and everyone around here looks at them like they're from another planet

west coast culture will never, ever, come to the east coast. we may as well be separate countries.

well I was told this by a recruiter once and it totally jived with the "the workload is extreme and they offer like no holidays ever while expecting you to work weekends because there's 40 people who can replace you at a moment's notice" I read about the place online

the engineering manager at the place I start at next week said that too :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 8, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ultramiraculous posted:

jesus where do i apply?

the best part is that the current owners inherited it from the 95 year old lady who lived there until she died last year, and because it was an inheritance transfer they can continue to pay the same $500/yr property tax she did in 1955 or whatever bc gov. reagan NO TAX INCREASES EVER. they've put about five thousand dollars of new paint and carpet in it and are now sitting on $47,500/yr with zero effort, simply by fleecing young families and the like

isn't america great

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

the best part is that the current owners inherited it from the 95 year old lady who lived there until she died last year, and because it was an inheritance transfer they can continue to pay the same $500/yr property tax she did in 1955 or whatever bc gov. reagan NO TAX INCREASES EVER. they've put about five thousand dollars of new paint and carpet in it and are now sitting on $47,500/yr with zero effort, simply by fleecing young families and the like

isn't america great

just one more thing making it lovely to live in sf

so its a good thing

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

quote:

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has said she worked 130 hours a week at Google. And in a post that went viral, Michael Arrington, founder of TechCrunch and now a tech investor, wrote: “Startups are hard. So work more, cry less, and quit all the whining.”

i dated a lawyer who used to bill for dreams she had about clients, maybe she read the same book as marissa

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i don't know why it's so hard for the east to understand the west. they jus tneed to lighten up, you know?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

i dated a lawyer who used to bill for dreams she had about clients, maybe she read the same book as marissa

the fountainhead?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

that owns

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

if theyre stealing my dreams im fuckin billin them for it gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just popping in to say that I'm a tech for a telco/ISP, and my job is to cater to the company's highest paying customers. These include a car title loan company (you know, the ones banned in half the US where a 500% APR isn't uncommon) and HCA.

Last month the company announced it was disrupting employment for like 5 of our centers around the country :lol:

• Locked thread