Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If lizalfos are giving you trouble you could try to get Vs Dragon. Also what are you using to break their weak points? Dropping a strong attack on them should break it instantly.

Link and Impa are both really susceptible to baiting out their weak points by standing in front of them and blocking.

If you're taking a lot of damage with the summoning gate then you're standing too close to the action. Get some distance before starting a combo. Don't worry about hitting things with the light attacks, they're poo poo. Hopefully the strong attack summon will keep things busy while you set up the next one.

Edit: if you capture that eastern keep where Impa is early on, then she might lose some health by the time you come back to deal with her later.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Suaimhneas posted:

If lizalfos are giving you trouble you could try to get Vs Dragon. Also what are you using to break their weak points? Dropping a strong attack on them should break it instantly.

Link and Impa are both really susceptible to baiting out their weak points by standing in front of them and blocking.

If you're taking a lot of damage with the summoning gate then you're standing too close to the action. Get some distance before starting a combo. Don't worry about hitting things with the light attacks, they're poo poo. Hopefully the strong attack summon will keep things busy while you set up the next one.

Edit: if you capture that eastern keep where Impa is early on, then she might lose some health by the time you come back to deal with her later.

Came back at it with level 77 and a potion to generate special and used the baiting to take them out. Just eeked it with 14:23 and 8200 damage. gently caress that was tricky.

Any advice for Agithas level 3? It's now my final adventure mode weapon :D

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

Came back at it with level 77 and a potion to generate special and used the baiting to take them out. Just eeked it with 14:23 and 8200 damage. gently caress that was tricky.

Any advice for Agithas level 3? It's now my final adventure mode weapon :D

Spam her C3; the one that summons a giant beetle thing. Its lame and boring, but you can stunlock anything with it. Also, make sure Cia doesn't do dumb poo poo; that's what lost me the weapon a couple times, was Cia taking ont he whole army herself and dying.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ugh I hate the unstunnable enemies in the new map. Can't cheese Zelda's square (the one to open the right side of the map) with the items potion. She's only level 101. Fuse that's not high enough or in missing something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

jivjov posted:

Also, make sure Cia doesn't do dumb poo poo

That's pretty much all she does though :v:

Serious; later on you have to get used to having to save your commander at least once per mission. Most of the time they spawn surrounded by a bunch of enemies or the game will spawn enemy commanders with the sole intent of making a beeline straight for your base. Assuming they can actually survive or defend the base they've been standing in all game is a recipe for disaster.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wait, you can block in this game?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, you can block in this game?

This is why we need a new OP

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I feel so sorry for anyone who's played this game for any length of time without knowing that baiting out weak points is a thing.

I bet there are also a lot of people who don't know that you can instantly reveal a stalmaster's or darknut's weak point by hitting them once and dodging around behind them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

Spam her C3; the one that summons a giant beetle thing. Its lame and boring, but you can stunlock anything with it. Also, make sure Cia doesn't do dumb poo poo; that's what lost me the weapon a couple times, was Cia taking ont he whole army herself and dying.

Can you expand on that. I must be doing it wrong because I can't stunlock poo poo with it never mind a large group of those lizard enemies that bumrush you all at once and move out of the range of the attack.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can dodge out of the animation a bit before the beetle actually drops. Summon a beetle, dodge, summon another in the same area, dodge, repeat until dead. It doesn't work well on enemy PCs since they can air dodge and escape the trap, but monster captains get chewed up pretty well, especially if you have Strength 3 on your weapon.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

When the map resets does it also reset the unlockable portions of the map (hidden enemies, deku mask spots where you glided, etc), or just makes it where you have to beat the nearby squares and get A/B/C rank?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

kvx687 posted:

You can dodge out of the animation a bit before the beetle actually drops. Summon a beetle, dodge, summon another in the same area, dodge, repeat until dead. It doesn't work well on enemy PCs since they can air dodge and escape the trap, but monster captains get chewed up pretty well, especially if you have Strength 3 on your weapon.

Cheers, just did it. All weapons complete! I feel like I deserve some kind of special club badge or something.

Am I right in thinking that now I need to get 25k kills on the master sword and then a further 25k kills on each of the weapons that have a legendary ability?

I'm guessing I'm also more or less ready to blitz through the master quest map (as soon as I get 5* level 3 weapons). What's the recommended average level to complete it?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Suaimhneas posted:

I feel so sorry for anyone who's played this game for any length of time without knowing that baiting out weak points is a thing.

I bet there are also a lot of people who don't know that you can instantly reveal a stalmaster's or darknut's weak point by hitting them once and dodging around behind them.

Yeah I remember the beautiful day I realized blocking and baiting was a thing. Midna is still the worst to fight since her combos are long and very doge cancable, so her weak point never shows. Stop doing that, it's for when I rampage as her! :argh:

Also, you can trigger Moblin belly flops and flying dudes going into the air (and the subsequent weak point after the attack) by whaling on them until they block and then hopping away

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think Volga is the worst loving NPC to fight. His weak gauge lasts for like half a second when it pops up at all considering about half his combos don't trigger it. Also he's fast, has a ton of combos that hit everything around him and can go into his invincible dragon mode to waste all the loving time he wants.

Zant is a close second, mostly because his weak point is easiest to reveal by letting him slam you for a ton of damage so he doesn't cancel his crazy-meter builders early. Which is such a dick move.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

I still think Volga is the worst loving NPC to fight. His weak gauge lasts for like half a second when it pops up at all considering about half his combos don't trigger it. Also he's fast, has a ton of combos that hit everything around him and can go into his invincible dragon mode to waste all the loving time he wants.

Zant is a close second, mostly because his weak point is easiest to reveal by letting him slam you for a ton of damage so he doesn't cancel his crazy-meter builders early. Which is such a dick move.

Volga's gauge is actually really easy to expose. Just hit him a couple times until he does his counterattack. Dodge it and boom, free weakness gauge. Zant you just have to block enough until he dizzies himself.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
You can bait him by hitting him until he guards, then dodging out of the way because he does his ground slam afterwards. You get like half a second but if you know it's coming, it's pretty easy.

That one level when he's powered up and you gotta kill him twice in that state on low levels was a bitch.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zore posted:

Volgas weak point is wide open after the dragon drop. Zant can totally go gently caress himself though

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

mastajake posted:

When the map resets does it also reset the unlockable portions of the map (hidden enemies, deku mask spots where you glided, etc), or just makes it where you have to beat the nearby squares and get A/B/C rank?

Nobody will ever know because 72 turns is plenty of time to beat the map and stop the counter even without the time-stalling items, and if you do struggle farming more of them isn't difficult and they add 10 turns per use. There's no reason to worry about having to do the map over again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I'm sure eventually someone will accidentally use a regular ocarina item instead of inverted ocarina, and then they'll be able to tell everyone else all about it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kin posted:

So which move is Darunia's C4?

If you're going by sound, Clank Clank Clank (hit Y), Clank-CLANK. I've heard that so many times.

More usefully, it's BBBY (or the Warriors controls equivalent), he sends out a W of fire that has good area, creams scrubs, and does rather large damage to bigger guys who get juggled by the middle fire spurt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So everyone in the thread has been saying that the legendary skill boosts a weapons strength by 300 but only up to 450. This meant that on a 5 star tier 3 weapon legendary only raised strength by 30, but you could put it on a lower star weapon to raise its strength to max. I acquired a tier 3 wizzro ring with only two stars but 8 slots and the hasty attack skill. That's pretty much a dream come true right? All I have to do is put legendary on it to max out its attack power and I'm golden. So I spend about an hour grinding down that ridiculous 25k requirement, and finally I'm ready to transfer the skill and get my dream weapon.

It transferred and it raised the power by loving 30 :tizzy:

So unless the game's display is lying to me, no you can not raise a low power weapon to max with legendary. If you don't put it on a 5 star tier 3, you're losing a bunch of damage still. Why it bothers to say it raises a weapons power by 300 when the display says otherwise is a mystery to me, but either way I'm incredibly sad now that I spent an hour on tedious grinding for absolutely nothing! :suicide:

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
If it makes you feel better, I did the same thing this morning.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So everyone in the thread has been saying that the legendary skill boosts a weapons strength by 300 but only up to 450. This meant that on a 5 star tier 3 weapon legendary only raised strength by 30, but you could put it on a lower star weapon to raise its strength to max. I acquired a tier 3 wizzro ring with only two stars but 8 slots and the hasty attack skill. That's pretty much a dream come true right? All I have to do is put legendary on it to max out its attack power and I'm golden. So I spend about an hour grinding down that ridiculous 25k requirement, and finally I'm ready to transfer the skill and get my dream weapon.

It transferred and it raised the power by loving 30 :tizzy:

So unless the game's display is lying to me, no you can not raise a low power weapon to max with legendary. If you don't put it on a 5 star tier 3, you're losing a bunch of damage still. Why it bothers to say it raises a weapons power by 300 when the display says otherwise is a mystery to me, but either way I'm incredibly sad now that I spent an hour on tedious grinding for absolutely nothing! :suicide:

Legendary doesn't raise a weapon's power by 300 it raises the weapon's base power TO 300, base power is then modified by the number of stars on the weapon (10% base power per star). So a 5 star tier 1 weapon and a 5 star tier 3 weapon will have the same damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TheMaskedChemist posted:

Legendary doesn't raise a weapon's power by 300 it raises the weapon's base power TO 300, base power is then modified by the number of stars on the weapon (10% base power per star). So a 5 star tier 1 weapon and a 5 star tier 3 weapon will have the same damage.

Yeah I realized that after I made this mistake. The reason I didn't think it worked like that is because it makes absolutely no sense. Any weapon lower than tier 3, regardless of damage, is useless because they lack slots. Tier 3 weapons are the only ones that can have 8 slots. So even if for some ridiculous reason you put legendary on a lower tier weapon, it would still be poo poo because it lacks those slots.

Most people assumed that it boosted low star tier 3 weapons up to 450, essentially meaning that you could get a perfect weapon if you were willing to grind out legendary and put it on an 8 slot weapon. But since it doesn't work like that, the 300 damage boost is entirely pointless. There's no reason for it to exist. This also means that if you want a perfect weapon, you need to get an tier 3 8 slot 5 star drop purely through RNG. And out of all the time I've spent playing this game I've seen that a grand total of once, and I've been doing tons of missions with the rank 3 slot potion.

Its just so baffling and idiotic and fuuuuuuuuuuuuck :smithicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 7, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah it'd be better if they patched it to where lower tier weapons could get 8 slots.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I realized that after I made this mistake. The reason I didn't think it worked like that is because it makes absolutely no sense. Any weapon lower than tier 3, regardless of damage, is useless because they lack slots. Tier 3 weapons are the only ones that can have 8 slots. So even if for some ridiculous reason you put legendary on a lower tier weapon, it would still be poo poo because it lacks those slots.

Most people assumed that it boosted low star tier 3 weapons up to 450, essentially meaning that you could get a perfect weapon if you were willing to grind out legendary and put it on an 8 slot weapon. But since it doesn't work like that, the 300 damage boost is entirely pointless. There's no reason for it to exist. This also means that if you want a perfect weapon, you need to get an tier 3 8 slot 5 star drop purely through RNG. And out of all the time I've spent playing this game I've seen that a grand total of once, and I've been doing tons of missions with the rank 3 slot potion.

Its just so baffling and idiotic and fuuuuuuuuuuuuck :smithicide:

So you really need 8 slots? I've got loads of 7 slot 5* level 3 weapons and with the ability to remove and add skills I've already got a few "ultimate" ones with exp, mats, stars, slots and rupees on them.

That still leaves enough space for the legendary power boost too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This is why we need a new OP

I'm serious. Is there even any advantage to blocking as opposed to just dodging all the time, since as far as I can tell, you pretty much invincible while dodging.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kin posted:

So you really need 8 slots? I've got loads of 7 slot 5* level 3 weapons and with the ability to remove and add skills I've already got a few "ultimate" ones with exp, mats, stars, slots and rupees on them.

That's more of a grinding weapon than an ultimate weapon. Hell if I know what's the optimal skill load-out for damage though, I just slap on an element and a combo boost or two and call it a day.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm serious. Is there even any advantage to blocking as opposed to just dodging all the time, since as far as I can tell, you pretty much invincible while dodging.

For many PC officers the easiest way to bait them into revealing their weak point is to just stand in front of them and block until they do a combo attack. For Zant in particular that's the only way to get him to reveal his weak point since he has to his combo attack spam thingy to get dizzy, and he won't if you dodge out of the way.

I think Volga is the only exception to that where he uses his dragon attack fairly rarely and to get his other weak point-revealing attack you just gotta attack him a bunch.

Oh, and blocking is pretty vital against Manhandla's seed spitting attack.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 7, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Away all Goats posted:

It's up to the player, as far as I'm concerned. Blocking and dodging feels very Dark Souls to me, in that whichever one you choose to do, it's kind of a commitment, except in this game you've got no stamina meter. I was almost always a dodger in Dark Souls, so that carried over for me. There are times when blocking is quicker (i.e. drawing out weak gauges) but when time isn't of the essence, dodging can work just as well. I'm personally turned off by blocking because it seems as if you have to come to a complete stop to initiate it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How does one get 8 slots on a weapon?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

Nobody will ever know because 72 turns is plenty of time to beat the map and stop the counter even without the time-stalling items, and if you do struggle farming more of them isn't difficult and they add 10 turns per use. There's no reason to worry about having to do the map over again.

Except for the fact that everyone starts with only 3 hours left, and thus everyone has to go through a reset?

On the Termina map, every path you've unlocked, you can re-unlock after a reset by getting C / Completing the map again.

I went straight north, and there was a tile with a A and B path, if I'm not misremembering. After the reset, I only needed to get C to reopen them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Luck.

Only tier 3 weapons can have eight slots. Having a weapon with a Slots+ augment skews the chance higher, as does the slots increasing potion you can buy at the apothecary. If you want to skew it towards any particular weapon, whatever weapon you complete a map with will always be one of the ones dropped. So beating a map with Link's Gauntlets will always net you a Gauntlet of some variety. Tougher maps mean the weapon is more likely to be higher tier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Make a +slot potion, ideally the highest level one for best odds. Don't think I've seen an 8 slot weapon drop without a +slots potion. Also you should obviously be using a weapon with +slots. Then you want to do a mission that's fairly long so you can get multiple weapon drops. The best mission to do is a network link since they give tier 3 weapons as a reward, maximizing your chances of getting a tier 3 weapon with max slots. So after doing all that you can get your 8 slot weapon, only for it to be missing stars and thus be garbage.

There's so much RNG involved you might as well not bother unless you're masochistic.

Kin posted:

Well no I don't need it but I really wanted it :saddowns:

There are lots of good skills now and I would of enjoyed having a weapon I knew was the best of the best. If Legendary worked the way I thought you could mitigate one part of the huge RNG involved in getting one, but since you can't its basically a fool's errand now. Probably still gonna try when I get network links for weapons I like but my dreams of getting a perfect Wizzro ring have been bedashed.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Shadow Ninja posted a couple pages back about farming 8-slot weapons and it works pretty well. Do the Triforce Quiz stage on A5 on the normal Adventure Map with Weapon Slots III, Slots+, Stars+, and ideally Materials+ and whatever else you want. Takes like 6 minutes do to and on average I get 3 weapons per run, and usually gold drops to fund the mix. You still get kicked in the dick with the game handing you the occasional T2, sub 5-star, or otherwise perfect weapon with Legendary on it, but it seems a lot less frustrating than trying to get it from a full Adventure stage.

I never did get the quit from home menu thing to work for me to save the Slots mix, did they patch how the game saves poo poo? It hasn't been an issue since bringing Materials+ has kept me on par with gold drops, but I could be doing something wrong.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I was finally able to attend the Festival of Cuccos without getting my butthole reamed.

Dorf's new buffed C6 is totally :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Termina maps seem to have WAY more weapon drops than any other map. I'm averaging about six per stage where in other maps 3-4 was the max.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Alacron posted:

Termina maps seem to have WAY more weapon drops than any other map. I'm averaging about six per stage where in other maps 3-4 was the max.

Wouldn't surprise me after the Twilight map had double drops.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are the map items on the Termina map randomized and the song of time is used to reset them? Right now I'm looking at the map and have no idea how to progress because of hidden enemies. To the left, I need a deku stick. The only deku stick is on the right, but I need a zora mask there. But the zora mask needs the deku stick! I've scouted all the areas and don't see any way to actually progress because of this. At some point I will hit a dead end because I can't reveal the enemies and can't get the items to reveal them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unfortunately I can't check on that because I'm stuck on the Girahim/Fi "run all over the place fighting tank-moblins" bottleneck in the Zora area (right next to the owl statue that's locked behind a zora mask). There are definitely a lot of artificial chokepoints on that map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What are good places to grind early-game levels, and what level should my characters be before I start trying to tackle Adventure Mode in earnest? It's honestly pretty overwhelming.

• Locked thread