Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Duccy posted:

250D stuff

Try flipping your 100i around so that the fans are on the inside of the case blowing out. Based on the pics I've seen this should leave enough room in the front for the 140mm fan.

Edit: Also rotate the 100i so that the tubes are toward the back of the case instead of the front.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A 250d should have room for a front intake and the h100i, It was basically designed for the h100i. I would have the fans exhausting air out of the case and the front fan pulling air into the case.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I keep forgetting to delid my G3258, it was effectively $30 after I sold the bundled PC Mate mobo so I can afford not to care, but I'm not sure the temps can get any better.

I'm already getting 4.8ghz @ 1.35v with an H90 radiator, 80c under load.

Maybe when they finally put those coolchip coolers on store shelves?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I don't think you need to delid a G3258. It's a Devil's Canyon part, after all.

I, on the other hand...

I just got a shiny new i7-3770K. I gave it an easy clock, 4.4 GHz at around 1.1V, but it's already hitting ~70 C. I could choose to be okay with that, I guess... 4.6 GHz will need more than 1.13V, which was the highest I could go while staying below 80 C.

Right now, I'm letting it Prime95 overnight at the 4.4 GHz clock to make sure the chip works fine, before I go voiding the warranty.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Devils canyon delid can still drop 10C.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Thanks for the replies, I flipped the radiator and put the 140mm back in the front. Fits fine now. How flexible are these tubes? Mine are pretty stiff and i kinda want to anchor them down with a zip tie but Im not sure how much pressure I can put on them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I wouldn't stress the tubes or fittings anymore than needed

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It looks like my 3770K still hits a hard wall after 4.6 GHz after all. Running 1.35 V at that clock, highly appreciating the 15 degree Celsius temperature difference now until whenever the ripple kills Project Broken Tooth.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I am finding it super difficult to delid a 3770K without an actual vise to work with.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, that original razor blade no-vice method sounded spooky as heck. I only recently obtained the vice last fall to help out with a sibling's metalworking project, and it's also been a useful fixture for the folks' business, so I had it handy anyways. I don't know if you have a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, but all the smaller vises are quite inexpensive, and any of them, even the $17 ones they just want to empty their stock of should fit the bill.

Be mindful of how they fasten to your table of choice however, as many need holes to put bolts through, so get one that clamps to your table if you don't want that. Or find a way to keep a non table-fixture vise from moving around when you're putting the wood block to it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

I am finding it super difficult to delid a 3770K without an actual vise to work with.

Ive seen people do it with a plastic card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

I delidded a 4770k a while back and it went from nearly impossible trying with an exacto to trivially easy with a vice. Go to home depot, you can get a small table clamp vice with lifetime warranty for $15-ish

Edit: and a block of scrap wood and hammer, or a rubber mallet

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
I moved my H100i into my full-size case, and now I'm trying to figure out my airflow. I have 2 intakes in the front with restricted airflow, then the two for the radiator up top, an exhaust at the bottom, and the 140mm exhaust in the back. Should I flip one of the radiator fans or the bottom one to allow more airflow for the video card? I am overclocking, and its running at about 40c under load, and the video card maybe around 60c. I have noticed a little bit of glitching (I used the auto-overclock feature on the motherboard), but I suspect it might not have to do with cooling but rather the two different sets of RAM. They are both Corsair DDR3-1600, with the XMP profile enabled. Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duccy posted:

I moved my H100i into my full-size case, and now I'm trying to figure out my airflow. I have 2 intakes in the front with restricted airflow, then the two for the radiator up top, an exhaust at the bottom, and the 140mm exhaust in the back. Should I flip one of the radiator fans or the bottom one to allow more airflow for the video card? I am overclocking, and its running at about 40c under load, and the video card maybe around 60c. I have noticed a little bit of glitching (I used the auto-overclock feature on the motherboard), but I suspect it might not have to do with cooling but rather the two different sets of RAM. They are both Corsair DDR3-1600, with the XMP profile enabled. Thoughts?

Make all the bottom fans intake. Make the rear fan intake (and throw a filter on it), and have the h100i exhaust. This way fresh cool air will available to the 100i

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
You have way too much fans, I'd make the rad fans pull through and no intake fans

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Having the radiator fans as exhaust is fine. The only change I'd make is turning the bottom fan into an intake or alternatively removing it.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

cisco privilege posted:

Having the radiator fans as exhaust is fine. The only change I'd make is turning the bottom fan into an intake or alternatively removing it.

Yeah but right now they are pushing through, it would be better pulling, that rear exhaust and bottom intake are useless, the front intake are ok but I'd remove them

edit. because I read the questions again, don't know what you're calling glitching but that card will not artifact until 90+C

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 8, 2015

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Loss of framerates in games that have never had a problem before installing the pump. I had 3 intakes on top prior to installing the pump dumping air onto the card and never went above 30c

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Modern gpus don't downclock until like 85c (depends by the model obviously) and 80+ is within the safe operating range, there is no point having that card that cold (and I don't think thats possible unless you live in like canada or alaska so maybe you're talking about the cpu) If you're talking about the cpu, it's far from the downclock/volt limit.
Also there is no point running a system too cool with a lot of fans, the way your setup is you just need to exhaust at the top and convection will do the rest, sure the average temps will be higher than if you have 20 fans directly blowing inside but you will also get much less dust, noise and cold/hot points.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to say that the Thermaltake Core V1 is the easiest case I've ever built in and it is great. One silent, dust-filtered 200mm fan, fits a pretty long graphics card and huge ATX PSUs even though it is about a cubic foot of size. I fit a 140mm radiator for the CPU behind the 200mm fan, they have mount holes for it. You can work on it with front, sides, top and bottom panel taken off so it is just an open frame.

With rebate they are $35 at Microcenter, $50 elsewhere. As long as you don't want SLI there's no reason anymore not to go ITX and build in one of these.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Zero VGS posted:

I just want to say that the Thermaltake Core V1 is the easiest case I've ever built in and it is great. One silent, dust-filtered 200mm fan, fits a pretty long graphics card and huge ATX PSUs even though it is about a cubic foot of size. I fit a 140mm radiator for the CPU behind the 200mm fan, they have mount holes for it. You can work on it with front, sides, top and bottom panel taken off so it is just an open frame.

With rebate they are $35 at Microcenter, $50 elsewhere. As long as you don't want SLI there's no reason anymore not to go ITX and build in one of these.

Unless, ironically, you buy cpus and motherboards at microcenter too since they are always ATX

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Unless, ironically, you buy cpus and motherboards at microcenter too since they are always ATX

Huh? Microcenter has plenty of ITX motherboards. My store in Boston shows 10+ stock of both ASRock H97 and Z97, which are both solid models with Wifi/Bluetooth:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433109/H97M-ITX_1150_mITX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433091/Z97E-ITX_LGA1150_Intel_mITX_Motherboard

If you buy the 4690K for $200, they'll take another $40 off the motherboard too. You can put the 4960K and the ASRock Z97 in your cart on the site to see for yourself, the motherboard becomes $69.99 after rebate.

Edit: Thought I posted in the PC build thread, not overclocking. At least I'm talking about Z97's.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 9, 2015

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
I'm getting fed up by my motherboard and my poo poo cpu enough (I have an FX-9590) and my friend offered to sell me his 3930K and Rampage 4, I guess it will be an ok performance upgrade but how does it perform in overclocking ? Due to the price tag I guess the rampage is an ok board for OC ?

edit. also how is the heat with them ?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Good, it is, and better than your monster. What's your heat sink situation look like, i.e. does it have a mounting bracket for Socket LGA 2011?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Good, it is, and better than your monster. What's your heat sink situation look like, i.e. does it have a mounting bracket for Socket LGA 2011?

I have an Evo 212 but pretty sure I lost the 2011 brackets, if I can't rig something up I'll get something like a Black Rock

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
For a 130W chip I'd want to use something beefier than a 212 anyways if only for noise reasons. It looks like you can get a free 2011 mounting kit for a Black Rock from BeQuiet's site. Alternatively if Thermalright's available where you are you can get a universal heatsink mount for any of their ~2007+ coolers for about :10bux: if it doesn't already support it. Picked one up for my old TRUE so I could reuse it on a modern board.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I've been trying to overstock my eggs sec gtx 770 for the longest time but anything over the stock clocks causes unigine heaven/valley to crash. Anyone know what the deal is?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
some are really sensitive, that depends what kind of crashes you get and if you try to oc the gpu or the memory, my 770 is able to take excelllent core oc but the memory not so much, I think I put +20 on it and sometimes display drivers crash, this is just normal for these cards

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Huh? Microcenter has plenty of ITX motherboards. My store in Boston shows 10+ stock of both ASRock H97 and Z97, which are both solid models with Wifi/Bluetooth:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433109/H97M-ITX_1150_mITX_Intel_Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/433091/Z97E-ITX_LGA1150_Intel_mITX_Motherboard

If you buy the 4690K for $200, they'll take another $40 off the motherboard too. You can put the 4960K and the ASRock Z97 in your cart on the site to see for yourself, the motherboard becomes $69.99 after rebate.

Edit: Thought I posted in the PC build thread, not overclocking. At least I'm talking about Z97's.

Sorry I meant the bundles which as far as I've ever seen have been ATX

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Although if youre saying they'll do the bundle anyway that's cool. Cant test it though as I cant add processors with in store pricing to cart

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

1gnoirents posted:

Sorry I meant the bundles which as far as I've ever seen have been ATX

http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Although if youre saying they'll do the bundle anyway that's cool. Cant test it though as I cant add processors with in store pricing to cart

Most of the time MC will just take off $X (usually $40 in the case of the higher-end Intel CPUs) from the MB price if you buy it with a CPU at the same time, regardless of whether it's advertised as a bundle or not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can confirm I got the 4690K and they took $40 off the ASRock H97 ITX without me even asking, it just rang up that way. YMMV of course but all the salespeople make commissions on sales and can get creative with how they ring things up so if you insist on the discount they'll probably make it happen.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

That's rad as hell

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
This 3770K is remarkably resistant to delidding. I give up. 4.4 GHz at 1.1V it is.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Factory Factory posted:

This 3770K is remarkably resistant to delidding. I give up. 4.4 GHz at 1.1V it is.

My particular 4670k was as well. The vice method simply didnt work. I ended up destroying the 2x4. I used a really hard wood block from a knife set and eventually just made perfect little indentations in it.

I ended up using a razor blade on it which worked perfectly. It would be much slower in comparison to the vice method, if the vice method worked in one or two blows but for me it was almost a relief. If you actually get the proper razor blades it'd be almost easy. I was using what I had on hand which were not ideal and it was still a success

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Installed the Rampage 4 and I have an issue with ram, I have 2x4Gb and 6x2Gb and it seems only 4 slots are detected by windows but cpu-z can see them all, any advice ?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Sh4 posted:

Installed the Rampage 4 and I have an issue with ram, I have 2x4Gb and 6x2Gb and it seems only 4 slots are detected by windows but cpu-z can see them all, any advice ?

This forum thread may be helpful.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Tested all combinations possible, the 4 slots at the right of the cpu don't work at all. Whenever I put ram in one of them, they are detected as "Abnormal" in the bios SPD checker

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sh4 posted:

Make sure the extra floppy power connector is connected to the board.

Reseat CPU, reset all memory settings everything auto, follow correct memory placement in DIMM slots according to manual.

Basically, everything that was on [H].

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Tried everything except reseating cpu, I'm using a watercooling with solid tubes, might have to try that but have low expectations, kinda hate this motherboard now (also no wake on usb, the gently caress ?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

Sh4 posted:

Modern gpus don't downclock until like 85c (depends by the model obviously) and 80+ is within the safe operating range, there is no point having that card that cold (and I don't think thats possible unless you live in like canada or alaska so maybe you're talking about the cpu) If you're talking about the cpu, it's far from the downclock/volt limit.
Also there is no point running a system too cool with a lot of fans, the way your setup is you just need to exhaust at the top and convection will do the rest, sure the average temps will be higher than if you have 20 fans directly blowing inside but you will also get much less dust, noise and cold/hot points.

I just switch to a Maximus VII Formula and all my problems went away. May have been a bad board before giving the readings but with the exact same cooling setup as before (albeit a different case also, Corsair 550D). Previous board was a Maximus VII Hero. I threw that board into my old Corsair 750D with an Intel i3 4150 and all the temperature readings are normal also. :iiam: