Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hope think the point Rutibex is trying to make here is that you can have luck management and dice mitigation and still have a horribly random, unfun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Overheard right now at the nerdstore:

"We've been playing Relic a lot, it's soooooo fun"

"Really, what's it like?"

"Well.... uh... umm.... It's just really fun!"

ed: And then she changed the subject to how fun Munchkin is and how they need more expansions. And then how D&D 3.5 was the best and not like that 4e WoW for babbies. My professional polite smile is fake as hell right now!

Tendales fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 8, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I hope think the point Rutibex is trying to make here is that you can have luck management and dice mitigation and still have a horribly random, unfun game.

Talisman unfun? No I don't think so! Nothing quite captures the nail biting edge of your seat dice rolling of Talisman. I would never besmirch the good name of Talisman. Just look at this custom set I made, pulling content from every beautiful edition of Talisman as well as dozens of great homebrew internet expansions. Over 1,000 adventure cards split into 5 decks (outer, inner, timescape, dungeon, city), 250 spells, and 80 classes. I initially mixed in Pathfinder Adventure cards but have since made the set 100% Talisman.

I wasn't going to sit by and have it's good name sullied, Talisman has just as much strategic depth as Arkham Horror :colbert:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Oh god

No
Noo

:psypop:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The rubber bands around the decks of cards make that perfect.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I got the digital edition of Talisman for free, as some goon was giving it away. I figured I would try it, thinking it would be better on the computer for whatever reason.
I have only ever played one game of Talisman. I say one game, but I just quit after playing 90 minutes. It didn't look close to finishing and I've had enough by that point.

That is my Talisman story.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

A group of people here just got done playing a game of talisman and I'm pretty sure their copy is older than I am

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

S.J. posted:

A group of people here just got done playing a game of talisman and I'm pretty sure their copy is older than I am

The game probably started before you were born, too.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Rutibex posted:

I wasn't going to sit by and have it's good name sullied, Talisman has just as much strategic depth as Arkham Horror :colbert:

If it were anyone else, I'd think this was a snide joke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, my secondary FLGS let me down today. I was going to pick up Blood Bowl Team Manager, mostly on the strength of the license, but they were out of stock. My second choice was Elder Sign (I want a mythos game that's lighter weight than Eldritch and Mansions of Madness, and I like FFGs mythos stuff)...but they didn't have the orange FFG sleeves. So I consoled myself with a plastic deck box to keep my Star Wars encounter cards in. I was assured by the staff that the box most certainly held sleeved cards with no problem, only to get it home and be unable to put said sleeved cards in it. Just a bad gaming day for me all around.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Went to my local store today to pickup some sleeves for a couple of games that I'd like to protect (Fury of Dracula, Starcraft) and as I was walking out I saw a copy of Space Hulk. Walked over to it and saw a tag marking it down to $77.00. Then saw another tag for $30. Asked at the counter if the $30 was wrong. Nope. Bought a sealed copy of 4th ed. Space Hulk for $30 bucks! I feel so good about that.

As for questions: Anyone have a review of Rampage as a 2 p game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

Man, my secondary FLGS let me down today. I was going to pick up Blood Bowl Team Manager, mostly on the strength of the license, but they were out of stock. My second choice was Elder Sign (I want a mythos game that's lighter weight than Eldritch and Mansions of Madness, and I like FFGs mythos stuff)...but they didn't have the orange FFG sleeves. So I consoled myself with a plastic deck box to keep my Star Wars encounter cards in. I was assured by the staff that the box most certainly held sleeved cards with no problem, only to get it home and be unable to put said sleeved cards in it. Just a bad gaming day for me all around.
On the bright side, you avoided buying both BBTM and Elder Sign.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

jivjov posted:

Two bullets dodged. Buy them a six pack or some flowers.

EDIT: So the all the feedback you got in the last few hours that basically amounted to 'BBTM = Meh' translated into 'buy it now?' Okay...

The End fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 8, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Went to my local store today to pickup some sleeves for a couple of games that I'd like to protect (Fury of Dracula, Starcraft) and as I was walking out I saw a copy of Space Hulk. Walked over to it and saw a tag marking it down to $77.00. Then saw another tag for $30. Asked at the counter if the $30 was wrong. Nope. Bought a sealed copy of 4th ed. Space Hulk for $30 bucks! I feel so good about that.

As for questions: Anyone have a review of Rampage as a 2 p game?

Awesome, given GW's tendency to leave poo poo out of print for long periods of time, you should keep it in the shrink wrap and flip that poo poo on eBay in a year's time for big profit.

Rampage is perfectly fine with 2 players. It's not super deep or tactical, so there's not really any 'balance' to throw out of whack with the different player count.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poison Mushroom posted:

On the bright side, you avoided buying both BBTM and Elder Sign.

The End posted:

Two bullets dodged. Buy them a six pack or some flowers.

Are those games really that bad? I was just asking about BBTM in here, and got reviews that were not overwhelming positive but trended toward "Well, the theme is alright" and "i had fun with it".

What's so bad about Elder Sign? I was under the impression it was Arkham/Eldritch horror scaled down and with a push-your-luck, symbol-matching dice mechanic?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I think you chose to put a positive slant on those reviews. I'd see those as saying 'BBTM = meh' and look for something good in the same price bracket.

Elder Sign is almost literally Cthulhu Yahtzee. I'm not exaggerating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jivjov posted:

What's so bad about Elder Sign? I was under the impression it was Arkham/Eldritch horror scaled down and with a push-your-luck, symbol-matching dice mechanic?
It is, unfortunately, basically just Cthulhu Yahtzee. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it. But if you're expecting Eldritch Horror light... you're probably more going to get Arkham Horror light.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you really want to play Yahtzee with a Cthulhu skin I guess you should go ahead and buy Elder Sign.

e:fb

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It is, unfortunately, basically just Cthulhu Yahtzee. If that's what you're looking for, then go for it. But if you're expecting Eldritch Horror light... you're probably more going to get Arkham Horror light.

General Battuta posted:

If you really want to play Yahtzee with a Cthulhu skin I guess you should go ahead and buy Elder Sign.

e:fb

:hf:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It it really that light on mechanics? There's so much...stuff in there, I thought it had the same "gather resources, expend them to modify dice rolls" feel that Eldritch does.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jivjov posted:

It it really that light on mechanics? There's so much...stuff in there, I thought it had the same "gather resources, expend them to modify dice rolls" feel that Eldritch does.

It's Yahtzee with a coat of Lovecraft colored paint.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Elder Sign is "Cthulhu Yahtzee" in the same way that King of New York is "Monster Yahtzee". It's got more to it than basic Yahtzee; it is pretty mush exactly what you think it it: lots of character powers and items/spells/etc that let you modify the die rolls.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

It's Yahtzee with a coat of Lovecraft colored paint.

I played it once. The items are just various ways of rerolling, or counting rolls in different ways.

It's just "Roll X dice, match Y symbols, roll again and get the next set, yay you purged the world of evil."

It's yahtzee with icons, where you choose which sets to go for before you roll instead of after.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

Elder Sign is "Cthulhu Yahtzee" in the same way that King of New York is "Monster Yahtzee". It's got more to it than basic Yahtzee; it is pretty mush exactly what you think it it: lots of character powers and items/spells/etc that let you modify the die rolls.

Ravendas posted:

I played it once. The items are just various ways of rerolling, or counting rolls in different ways.

It's just "Roll X dice, match Y symbols, roll again and get the next set, yay you purged the world of evil."

It's yahtzee with icons, where you choose which sets to go for before you roll instead of after.

Yeah, that doesn't sound too terrible to me. Maybe a hair overpriced, but if it has the same level of care and attention to the theme that Eldritch does, then it sounds right up my alley.

It also sounds like it would be better suited to solo or 2p play a bit more than Eldritch is.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Since you were primed to get Elder Sign before the thread came out with opinions, I doubt that anything it says will stop you from getting it. Just make sure you at least adjust your expectations accordingly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Yeah, that doesn't sound too terrible to me. Maybe a hair overpriced, but if it has the same level of care and attention to the theme that Eldritch does, then it sounds right up my alley.

It also sounds like it would be better suited to solo or 2p play a bit more than Eldritch is.

It doesn't.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ravendas posted:

I'd say its more of a Sharp Shooters rip off than Yahtzee:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1459/sharp-shooters

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

It is. But don't buy a physical copy if you have a smartphone - you can get the game plus a bunch of expansions for a few bucks.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Ravendas posted:

you choose which sets to go for before you roll instead of after.

So they made Yahtzee without the only remotely redeeming feature of Yahtzee? That's kind of impressive.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I'm going to make a game called "Cuthulu vs Zombies". It's just going to be reskinned checkers, and I will still make millions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Durendal posted:

I'm going to make a game called "Cuthulu vs Zombies". It's just going to be reskinned checkers, and I will still make millions.

Only if you spell "Cthulhu" right. :colbert:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Some Numbers posted:

Who cares? It still has zombies in it. I can add dice rolling as well. Roll 3d6 and compare each dice to the jump table. Those are the only jumps you are allowed.

Then you add stuff fast horrors/zombies who can jump an extra space or arch demons and tanks who can jump on top of opposing pieces, but only if the size chart says they can.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 8, 2015

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
I have no dog in the Lovecraft Yahtzee fight, but want to say if we're talking about Yahtzee-likegames, I really enjoyed To Court The King. I mean, it's out of print, but you could probably print&play it fairly easily. It's not deep or anything but it was a lot of fun the time I tried it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

SnowDog posted:

I have no dog in the Lovecraft Yahtzee fight, but want to say if we're talking about Yahtzee-likegames, I really enjoyed To Court The King. I mean, it's out of print, but you could probably print&play it fairly easily. It's not deep or anything but it was a lot of fun the time I tried it.

I played this once a couple of years ago and it wasn't bad.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can't wait to play Argent Consortium but I want to buy it at a discount and I'm really hoping it'll be at Strategicon over Presidents' Day weekend.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ravendas posted:

The only real decision you make in Yahtzee is choosing which sets to go for after rolling. They chose the only mechanic in Yahtzee worth saving and chose that as the mechanic to strip.

Some Numbers posted:

No spelling is correct, for the alien syllables can only be poorly approximated by human vocal apparatus and the roman alphabet.. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cthulhu's real name is the sound a garbage disposal makes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

Who cares? It still has zombies in it. I can add dice rolling as well. Roll 3d6 and compare each dice to the jump table. Those are the only jumps you are allowed.

Then you add stuff fast horrors/zombies who can jump an extra space or arch demons and tanks who can jump on top of opposing pieces, but only if the size chart says they can.

I'm afraid you've been beaten that game was invented about 1,000 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaturaji

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Okay. But does it have zombies and H.P. Lovecraft in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

malkav11 posted:

Yes, I said that they are the primary action resolution mechanism. But that's not nearly the same thing as everything in the game being based on the results of a die roll. That's Talisman.

Talisman app is free from Amazon today (few hours left).

I picked up Go Sushi Go today for $6. I bought 7 Wonders a couple weeks ago but haven't been able to get around to playing it but I've read the rules. They wanted to do a quick game of Sushi before going to work and then I started reading those rules. Made it easy enough for me to figure it out.

That brought back some memories. That was the old board I had as a kid and I loved that game and I can't stand playing with my kids and their fancy new board.