Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metal Bear
Jun 18, 2014

pthighs posted:

ChrisND mentioned in one of his streams that heavy was basically "shoot hellfires at main battle tanks," with lighter variants focusing more on rockets or guns engaging softer targets.

No wonder my medium AH-64 attacks only immobilized T-72s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
How does CMBS model AA assets or air superiority? Is it just done on a mission to mission or point cost basis?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Velius posted:

How does CMBS model AA assets or air superiority? Is it just done on a mission to mission or point cost basis?

Man portable SAM like Stinger and Igla are around. Russian side also has Tunguska and vehicle mounted Strelas.

AA assets outside the tactical area in the map are not modeled. I assume air superiority is a matter of a side having or not having air assets available in the particular mission, by designer's will.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lunsku posted:

Man portable SAM like Stinger and Igla are around. Russian side also has Tunguska and vehicle mounted Strelas.

AA assets outside the tactical area in the map are not modeled. I assume air superiority is a matter of a side having or not having air assets available in the particular mission, by designer's will.

The manual states that Battlefront assumes that the airspace in general is contested, so the assets you actually see in the game must fly low enough that they are at risk from the AA assets you see in the game. So by design your F-16s can never fly above Strela altitude and rain down precision munitions.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Sent out the email for the AT gold game, let me know if you signed up and didn't get it or if you want to jump in here at the last second. The game supports an absurd number of players so there is always room.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Are there any good mac grognard games? I just bought a macbook pro and am looking for something native to mac.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yooper posted:

Are there any good mac grognard games? I just bought a macbook pro and am looking for something native to mac.

The entire combat mission series is Mac native (CMSF and beyond)

Mori
Mar 6, 2003
Annoyingly, they appear to make you pay again for a Mac copy, even if you own it on PC.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Unity of Command works well enough on OSX.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
A lot of newer grognards can be made to work on Macs using Winetricks.

But I just realized I haven't tested much so I'm installing War in the Pacific: AE and War in the East on my Mac to test it out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lord Windy posted:

A lot of newer grognards can be made to work on Macs using Winetricks.

But I just realized I haven't tested much so I'm installing War in the Pacific: AE and War in the East on my Mac to test it out.

Let me know if you get either of those working. I fiddled around with both of those for hours using a custom Wineskin wrapper and couldn't ever get them to work.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
War in the Pacific kinda works. It's a little buggy but I'm going to play with it a little more and use some of the command line options.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Don't take the lack of artwork for the fighters as an always thing, it happens to me on my PC that runs it perfectly. It may also be a bug as I didn't do an update.

So, using the latest version of Winetricks I got it working perfectly. If you guys want I can upload the application sans the data files and you just need to run the installer.

EDIT: And no I can't, it's 1.3gb even after deleting stuff. It's really easy to do it yourself.

EDIT 2:

See, told you it wasn't an everytime thing.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 8, 2015

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is Battle Fleet 2 a good game?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332490/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Windy posted:

Don't take the lack of artwork for the fighters as an always thing, it happens to me on my PC that runs it perfectly. It may also be a bug as I didn't do an update.

Pretty sure that's caused by alt-tabbing.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Probably due to me testing a few things.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

It's pretty neat, but it's definitely a lightish sort of game. The core gameplay rests around eyeballing the range and power of the shots your ships take to ensure that you hit the enemy where you want them to be hit, which usually results in your smaller batteries taking a few ranging shots before opening up with the big guns on your primary target. The game doesn't really pretend to anything like historical accuracy, either, as the strategic layer starts with a fairly balanced fleet on both sides with semi-random fleets and ships. However, it's a pretty satisfying and well-balanced experience for whenever you just want two surface fleets to have a go at each other and bash up for a little bit. A good game, but not really grog at all.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Roger that thanks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lord Windy posted:

So, using the latest version of Winetricks I got it working perfectly. If you guys want I can upload the application sans the data files and you just need to run the installer.

EDIT: And no I can't, it's 1.3gb even after deleting stuff. It's really easy to do it yourself.

EDIT 2:

This is awesome and you rule.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

EDIT 2:

Rock on! I'll definitely get WitE going on it.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok guys first real email is away for the at gold game, let me know if you don't get it or I messed something up!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Just a heads-up for anyone interested in Scourge of War next(?) weekend: I'm having loads of fun trying to figure out why my game has started crashing on startup. NorbSoftDev is a very small developer, so it might be worth it to run your game a couple of times to make sure nothing's wrong, and give yourself time to get a timely response if something doesn't work.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mine runs but only at 15 FPS no matter how high or low I turn the settings. God drat loving Grog games. I had also forgotten how insanely unintuitive and lovely the UI/interface/controls/etc is.

Aside from the alleged fidelity it offers in simulation it is undeniably a Bad Game (TM). There's very little graphical feedback on what's happening which is kind of poo poo considering it's not a hex-based game and such.

It's fun, especially in our Goon matches, but it's such a great example of why this genre is pretty terrible.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Drone posted:

This is awesome and you rule.

Yooper posted:

Rock on! I'll definitely get WitE going on it.

Thanks guys :)

I lost my WitE file so I had to get a new download link from Matrix, it's just downloading now and I'll let you know.

Coincidentally Winetricks is the best thing for Macs since sliced bread. I've tried 6 games so far and only 1 hasn't worked out of the box with minor adjustments.

EDIT: War in the East is not looking good. I'll make a separate wineskin with some different things for it but it's crashing within 30 seconds of me doing anything.

EDIT:

Wooo, my favorite game works 100% as well. Just need to do some extra things with War in the East.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 9, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
:siren:I MADE A MISTAKE:siren:

I am not using Winetricks, I am using Wineskin. Sorry, because Wineskin doesn't use the name Wineskin on it's applications and I mixed the two up.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

By Odins beard!

I tried out the last/biggest scenario in CM:BS and haha there's like 3 companies of T-90s backed up by a company of BMP3s + recce company with artillery support.

And you get 5 Abrams and a company+recce platoon of bradleys / infantry (and 1x152mm SPG support), 2 on-map 120mm mortar carriers.

I was sorta happy when I took out one company of T-90s, but then the contact on my left flank turned out to be another god drat company, and across the map there was ATGM teams set up with the last T-90 company sniping at me :psyduck:

*I'm guessing* I wasn't supposed to aggressively contest the village in the middle :v:

I just tried this scenario and got massacred. They rushed two of those tank companies down into the river valley in the middle of the map before my Abrams arrived. I took out two of them with javelins while they were on the move. Once they were down there, I didn't want to attack them with those enormous numbers waiting for me at close range, so I thought I would sit back.

I tried hiding in the treelines near my edge of the map, slowly picking off Russian vehicles one by one. I destroyed a couple of BMPs along with an ATGM team, but eventually those two tank companies in the valley launched this ridiculous massed headlong charge straight at me at full speed, all at once. It was so sudden that my thin line was overrun and annihilated within like two minutes. I didn't even slow them down. :cry:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone wanna weigh in on To End All Wars* or Close Combat Gateway to Caen? I want to buy my grog games through Steam as much as possible nowadays.

* yes it's AGEOD, but the reviews are "Mixed" (65% positive)

Also:

quote:

First of all I wanted to say hello to all members and staff here at the Matrix forums!

As you can see this is my first post here as I'm a beginner at Matrix/Slitherine games (played Panzer Corps and W40K: Armageddon only ).

I've decided to take next step in my video games hobby with some more serious challenge, so I wanted to ask more experienced players here (in terms of hex-based wargames) to advise what game should I choose to start with:

Commander Europe at War
The Operational Art of War III
Gary Grigsby's War in the East
Gary Grigsby's War in the West
or else?

Thank you very much for patience for a new member :)

quote:

Welcome to the forum RakuPL

If you are into WWII and hex based games then there is one obvious candidate (subject to some key caveats).

Matrix World In Flames is, quite simply in this writer's opinion, the best war game ever.

There are issues with the computer game at present (and these are being worked through) and the net effect is that solitaire or playing by e-mail (needs to be an opponent you can completely trust) are the only real ways of playing. A limited Net Play is being tested (Barbarossa scenario) but its early days.

To purchase this game you need to take a long term view of its ultimate completion - and it is expensive. That said, it is a richly enjoyable, highly replayable and fun game.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
If you have ever played close combat and enjoy it, check out gateway to caen, it is the most close combatty one to date. But to drat it with faint praise, that means it plays almost exactly like every other close combat game. Meaning personally I just play Combat Mission these days.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's meant to be a 'new' Close Combat game coming out that is on a new engine and completely reworks the UI etc. I'd hold out for that rather than getting Caen which is one last desperate attempt to wring some kind of decent experience from the old engine. They talk about it on the latest Three Moves Ahead.

To End All Wars has an expansion coming out with lots of smaller scenarios. Ageod games have always been better at the scenario level than the grand strategy level so that sounds like a plus. The main game still suffers from long turn processing time.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kenzie posted:

I just tried this scenario and got massacred. They rushed two of those tank companies down into the river valley in the middle of the map before my Abrams arrived. I took out two of them with javelins while they were on the move. Once they were down there, I didn't want to attack them with those enormous numbers waiting for me at close range, so I thought I would sit back.

I tried hiding in the treelines near my edge of the map, slowly picking off Russian vehicles one by one. I destroyed a couple of BMPs along with an ATGM team, but eventually those two tank companies in the valley launched this ridiculous massed headlong charge straight at me at full speed, all at once. It was so sudden that my thin line was overrun and annihilated within like two minutes. I didn't even slow them down. :cry:

I actually fought that headlong charge with my abrams placed almost at the middle of the map, near the road just south of the treeline before the village, with my Bradley company placed in the treeline on the right side of the map (that outcropping, but be warned: the AI drops a shitload of arty on it). It allowed me to handle the rightmost T-90 company when it charged (because it placed my units on both flanks of it), although it cost me the Bradleys and 2 Abrams. It was the sniping T-90s + the company on the left that shot my Abrams in the rear end.

I found the sight-lines on that map to be a pain in the rear end and really hard to figure out, is there some way to see what a unit can actually see? Because not even moving the camera down to their level is 100%. Ended up moving some units within 50 meters of an entire T-90 company and they couldn't spot in on an open field :psyduck:

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Your only hope is to give a target order to the unit then wave the mouse cursor around and look at the color of the line change. On the upside you can give that unit a move order to any arbitrary square, and then do a LOS check by this method from that square, even though the line will originate from the unit's current position. Jenkey, but powerful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

There's meant to be a 'new' Close Combat game coming out that is on a new engine and completely reworks the UI etc. I'd hold out for that rather than getting Caen which is one last desperate attempt to wring some kind of decent experience from the old engine. They talk about it on the latest Three Moves Ahead.

To End All Wars has an expansion coming out with lots of smaller scenarios. Ageod games have always been better at the scenario level than the grand strategy level so that sounds like a plus. The main game still suffers from long turn processing time.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I did just listen to that 3MA episode* is why I asked. I grew up with the original CC2 and was looking to recapture a little bit of that old magic. Maybe back to Combat Mission until this new CC comes out.

* their shows have gotten me to buy an embarrassing number of games. I have ASL Starter Kit 1 in shipping right now headed to me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Civil War II is on sale for 50% off ($19.99) this week on Steam. I haven't played it, but the reviews are very positive.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

* their shows have gotten me to buy an embarrassing number of games. I have ASL Starter Kit 1 in shipping right now headed to me.

:dance: Whats up fellow ASL haver. I have all three starter kits sorted with the corners cut, and absolutely no one interested in playing with me. :smith:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

VendoViper posted:

If you have ever played close combat and enjoy it, check out gateway to caen, it is the most close combatty one to date. But to drat it with faint praise, that means it plays almost exactly like every other close combat game. Meaning personally I just play Combat Mission these days.

I hadn't played a Close Combat game since Bridge Too Far and absolutely loved Caen. I'd bought Panthers in the Fog previously but been sidetracked by other things before really getting into it, but now Caen has absolutely spoiled me with its pretty graphics and it's hard to even imagine that PitF had been a total graphical overhaul just a year or two earlier at all.
That being said, I am a little bit worried about the new 3D engine they're making since transition to 3D often completely fucks with existing fidelity and simulation. The fact that they're going back to doing a series of individual 'story' missions makes me worry that making it 3D has turned recreating several square miles of Europe in incredible detail into even more of a monumental task (Have a look at the area in Caen on Google Maps and it's spot on. It's based on the modern positions/sizes of the towns/buildings and they just switched a motorway for a railway line but it's exactly right.) and I fear Caen might end up being the definitive CC game.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

V for Vegas posted:

I loved the Close Combat games back in the day and was gravely disappointed in Caen. I was shocked that the user interface had not advanced one bit in the last, what, twenty years? I don't mind bad graphics, but that cumbersome loving interface has no place in a modern game. A reworking of the Close Combat series is desperately needed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Welcome to the fold. ASL is close to a religious experience. A perfect system that is at the same time brilliant and incomprehensible by mortal minds.

(I have SK1, SK3, and the full Rulebook. Learn to love solo gaming, you'll do a lot of it.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
We are now onto turn 2 in our Advanced Tactics Goon game. Only AI China attacked Japanese player on turn 1, otherwise all's calm and paranoia reigns supreme. I have spent more time customizing all unit and leader and town names and colour schemes than executing cunning strategies so far. I take it customizing your country is the actual goal of the game.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
If I enjoyed Company of Heroes multiplayer will I enjoy CC: Cross of Iron? Somehow always missed out on this series going way back, even though I've been a fan of combat mission and the like for many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Nenonen posted:

We are now onto turn 2 in our Advanced Tactics Goon game. Only AI China attacked Japanese player on turn 1, otherwise all's calm and paranoia reigns supreme. I have spent more time customizing all unit and leader and town names and colour schemes than executing cunning strategies so far. I take it customizing your country is the actual goal of the game.

You made me waste so much time googling whether there was an actual french city named "merde."