Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
My last character I played was a Diplomat, I basically planned for them to be the typical 'pampered noble gets caught up in the rebellion' type who would slowly learn to fight better and all, but they wound up as like, the literal ONLY one in the party who could handle large amounts of talking and bluffing. Like, it was at a point where I was the only one who could do the whole 'nah, Officer, you don't need to check our cargo, we're in a rush and very important' poo poo without it devolving into "NO DON'T LOOK IN THE TRUNK WHERE WE HAVE GUNS AND EXPLOSIVES SASHED FOR THE REBELS" level botches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oooh, and rules for setting up Rebel bases. I like it.

I hope those rules will be different enough from the ones for bases in the Colonist book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the Homestead rules reskinned with a more martial air so that both lines have home base rules. F&D will get Jedi vocational schools.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endman posted:

I'm hoping the Diplomat book will encourage people to actually play the class. From my experience, it's the most overlooked class among players. It's a pity, because whenever I write in a good talky scene, my players often trip over themselves and end up blasting their way out regardless.

It's the Face career in a game that tells you it's all about shooting storm troopers and being Rogue Squadron, so predictably people tend to not bother making one when they could just make a character who's better at shooting/flying/shooting while flying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's the Face career in a game that tells you it's all about shooting storm troopers and being Rogue Squadron, so predictably people tend to not bother making one when they could just make a character who's better at shooting/flying/shooting while flying.

Nobody wants to be Princess Leia!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Endman posted:

I'm hoping the Diplomat book will encourage people to actually play the class. From my experience, it's the most overlooked class among players. It's a pity, because whenever I write in a good talky scene, my players often trip over themselves and end up blasting their way out regardless.

I love playing talky classes, but I think I like the Colonist more as a talky class with how the trees are laid out. Politico gets you access to both Inspiring Rhetoric and Scathing Rebuke at a faster rate than either of the Diplomat trees, and you get nice options like Well-Rounded, plus the ability to buy class trees like Entertainer or Entrepreneur, and even Marshall could be nice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuzz posted:

Nobody wants to be Princess Leia!

Why am I always the one getting enslaved by the Hutts?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lemon Curdistan posted:

But Face was an X-wing pilot. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If I wanted to play a talky/face character, isn't that what Scoundrels are for? :v:

(yes I know they're EotE, not AoR, but too bad!)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I figure the best way to write the Diplomat into a game is to have talking form a part of the wider combat scene. So, for example, while you may be having a big space battle going on, there's also a smaller battle of wits between an Imperial Warlord and a PC Diplomat that, while not involving direct violence, has an overall effect on the flow of the battle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Something like Obi-Wan's Tea-time with Whorm Loathsom during The Clone Wars to discuss Obi-Wan's "terms of Surrender"? (that is, stall for time while the rest of the PCs blew up Loathsom's macguffin).

That'd be cool.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If I wanted to play a talky/face character, isn't that what Scoundrels are for? :v:

(yes I know they're EotE, not AoR, but too bad!)

Would be, if the Scoundrel talent tree wasn't a horrible let-down. It's a talky con-man talent tree with precisely two talents that directly affect your ability to talk to con people (Convincing Demeanor and Natural Charmer), and a jack-of-all-trades specialization where only four talents aren't repeated multiple times in the same tree (so you can't splash out and dabble like it says you can), and three of those are your tier 5s (and one of them is Dedication). Then there's poo poo like 3 ranks of Black Market Connections for that up to 150% mark-up on gear, which is enough to really make you rethink using (and thus acquiring) that talent.

I just do not understand what that specialization was designed to do.

Edit: I missed the previous thread, so if it's an already-established fact that the Scoundrel is a bad specialization and that was a joke, then I apologize for missing it. I just haven't been burned by such a completely mechanical failure to fulfill the promised concept since the 3e D&D monk.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 7, 2015

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Finally got to try out EotE. My buddies made a space Texas Ranger, and assassin droid.

I made a shifty Toydarian with 0 combat skills and bought just a datapad that gave me a boost die if I was selling or buying something.

The DM was not prepared for my bomb-rear end negotiating skills, yo. So much fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And what sort of trouble did you manage to talk your way into and then out of? :v:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Datapads are so wonderful. We've been treating them like space iPads and pulling off so much bullshit with it to milk those boost dice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

Datapads are so wonderful. We've been treating them like space iPads and pulling off so much bullshit with it to milk those boost dice.

I hate you all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If I want to play a straight up pilot, is Ace/Pilot the best to go for? Or what? For joining that multi-splat game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Never realized I wanted to play as a Neimoidian before they announced this book!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, Ace is probably your better bet. The EotE version is Smuggler/Pilot, but their talent trees are literally identical so it all comes down to which skills you want and which additional specializations you want to access for cheap.

They both have the same bonus career skills for specialization, so it's down to the starter career skills:

Smuggler: Coordination, Deception, Knowledge (underworld), Perception, Piloting (space), Skulduggery, Streetwise, Vigilance
Ace: Astrogation, Cool, Gunnery, Mechanics, Perception, Piloting (planetary), Piloting (space), Ranged (light)

Ace is probably better since you're probably going to be at Agility 4 or higher, so you can pick up a free rank in Ranged (light) and more ranks in Piloting. Plus there's more specializations in the new Ace pilot book, though I don't know how good they are yet. Likewise, Fly Casual isn't out yet so I can't tell you about those specializations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

frajaq posted:

Never realized I wanted to play as a Neimoidian before they announced this book!

Neimodians are just uglier Duros. :colbert:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Well yeah but they're the assholes dudes from the first movie (does the Trade Federation droids still exist in EotE ?)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm very sad that the Hutt book does not contain any podracing info. Maybe that was just Jabba's thing since he lived on Tatooine, but I want stats on podracers and the like; I have campaign plans...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Pod Racing info would be pretty cool. Isn't there rules for a cloud-car race in Jewel of Yavin? I wonder if you could adapt the rules of that to pod racing.

frajaq, there are B1 Battledroids in the EotE Core rule book, they're the "Antiquated Battle Droid" in the adversary list.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I know loads of people have made acrylic tokens for X-Wing...but are there any fun alternatives to the Destiny tokens for this game? I like the cardboard well enough, but I'm a big fan of metal coinage or even some acrylic chits or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Othello pieces? They've got a light side and a dark side. They don't bind the universe together, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

frajaq posted:

Well yeah but they're the assholes dudes from the first movie (does the Trade Federation droids still exist in EotE ?)

Nope, Palpatine dissolved it pretty much right when he came to power. Most Trade Federation assets that survived untouched later found their way into the hands of the Rebellion (I think in the EU some Trade Federation Lucrehulk-class battleships survived and were used by the Alliance).

Ironically the weapons that Palpatine used to start the Clone Wars are some of the same ones that were used in his downfall.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

LightWarden posted:

I love playing talky classes, but I think I like the Colonist more as a talky class with how the trees are laid out. Politico gets you access to both Inspiring Rhetoric and Scathing Rebuke at a faster rate than either of the Diplomat trees, and you get nice options like Well-Rounded, plus the ability to buy class trees like Entertainer or Entrepreneur, and even Marshall could be nice.

Agitator gets access to Intimidating right from the start as well as the passive talents.

It comes down to what you want. EoE characters are normally always more well rounded than AoR but the Diplomat vs Colonist seems to be the other way round. A Diplomat will be better in more situations than the Colonist.

But then I like the Agitator having played the class a bit as it is one of the shadiest of the AoE classes

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, Pod Racing info would be pretty cool. Isn't there rules for a cloud-car race in Jewel of Yavin? I wonder if you could adapt the rules of that to pod racing.

It's possible I was running it wrong, but I did that race in Jewel of Yavin and it came out all kinds of weird. A guy going pretty slow got all kinds of Advantage and Triumphs, so he actually gained more "places" than the people who floored it. One roll, sure, you explain that they floor it but get caught in a pack of other racers; it kept happening, though, and just got silly. It's also too long., considering the number of rolls you need to make.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Othello pieces? They've got a light side and a dark side. They don't bind the universe together, though.

Certainly a possibility, but all the ones I've ever seen are really cheap plastic. So, a step up from the cardboard but not by much.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

homullus posted:

It's possible I was running it wrong, but I did that race in Jewel of Yavin and it came out all kinds of weird. A guy going pretty slow got all kinds of Advantage and Triumphs, so he actually gained more "places" than the people who floored it. One roll, sure, you explain that they floor it but get caught in a pack of other racers; it kept happening, though, and just got silly. It's also too long., considering the number of rolls you need to make.
Plus a single hit will pop a car, and you're rolling at 1D1C at most. It's really badly structured.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I would just use Pilot Planetary rolls. Compare successes, each roll is a lap, go 5 laps. Advantages are used for boosts or to give your opponent difficulty dice. If your players want let them use social skills to try to intimidate or coerce the other pilots by suffering a strain.

I would really recommend a dice roller app to speed up the progress.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Drone posted:

Nope, Palpatine dissolved it pretty much right when he came to power. Most Trade Federation assets that survived untouched later found their way into the hands of the Rebellion (I think in the EU some Trade Federation Lucrehulk-class battleships survived and were used by the Alliance).

Ironically the weapons that Palpatine used to start the Clone Wars are some of the same ones that were used in his downfall.

I think the Empire sold some old CIS ships seized post-war to the Corporate Sector too. You know, after Lords of Nal Hutta, I'd love to see a CSA supplement.

Best books. :allears:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That third cover is loving :krad:

The Corporate Sector has a lot of potential for dystopian cyberpunk shenanigans, it's great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The corporate sector is straight out ripped out of the pages of Gibson/Stephenson/etc. and feels completely out of place in Star Wars. The EU is already trying to do serious politics, frontier life and seedy criminals at the same time, and that's enough.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Corporate Sector, Hutt Space and Hapes are about the largest semi-autonomous bodies in the Imperial Era for various reasons, which makes them great for third parties to mix things up.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The corporate sector is straight out ripped out of the pages of Gibson/Stephenson/etc. and feels completely out of place in Star Wars. The EU is already trying to do serious politics, frontier life and seedy criminals at the same time, and that's enough.

I rather like that there's this great mixed bag of settings in the Star Wars EU, it means you're not really forced towards telling a certain kind of story, you can pick and choose. And to be fair to the corporate sector, Coruscant's lower levels have a big cyberpunk vibe as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

In the whole galaxy there is plenty of room for there to be a small, semi-autonomous collection of a few hundreds systems that is a massive corporatocracy. Besides, the place is pretty ignorable if you don't like it, given its in the rear end end of nowhere out in the outter rim.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There was a Corporate Sector sourcebook for WEG’s Star Wars system. WEG also promised us a sourcebook for the Tion Cluster, which is where Han Solo and the Lost Legacy takes place. Tion was home to a vast empire 25,000 years ago, but today it’s a xenophobic, bureaucratic backwater full of people who are convinced that everyone else in the universe is conspiring to keep them down. They went out of business before they could produce it.

Someday I dream of converting The Pirates of Drinax to EotE and running it in Tion, as a distant cousin of the reigning Lord Tion calls upon a team of privateers to wreak havoc in the cluster until they recognize him as their true leader and throw off the Imperial/Rebel/Huttese yoke to regain their former glory.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LightWarden posted:

Corporate Sector, Hutt Space and Hapes are about the largest semi-autonomous bodies in the Imperial Era for various reasons, which makes them great for third parties to mix things up.

I've always really wanted to like the Hapans because their ships are cool as heck, but I can't really think Hapan society without picturing the planet Druidia from Spaceballs for some reason. It just feels totally out of place in Star Wars to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Me and my mate are introducing a group of 10 yr old Star Wars fanatics to the AoR beginners game next weekend. Hope they enjoy it. We've got a sound board and music ready to go. Kids are bringing their toy blasters too.