Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Ahundredbux posted:

Starbound needs a binary morality system, if you are paragon you mine core fragments 10% faster

And better (any) conversation options. Give me a conversation mood wheel so when that bitch complains about not having a loving mug and spoon for her coffee I can slam her face into the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

My one complaint is the whole game

I'm not sure I could empty quote this without thread making GBS threads on a mostly normal game thread now.

But it's roughly how I feel after messing with it for a bit again.

I wish I could illustrate the contrast between my initial reaction to Starbound when it was teased however many years ago and my opinion of the game now. Some sort of ms paint fall from grace.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So I made a small bed sized pool in my ship and, you guessed it, placed a bed in it and filled it with healing water. It works really well at making it so I spend like 3 seconds healing on my ship because they stack and my time is valuable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So I made a small bed sized pool in my ship and, you guessed it, placed a bed in it and filled it with healing water. It works really well at making it so I spend like 3 seconds healing on my ship because they stack and my time is valuable.

I'm so doing this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Mattybee posted:

Hey guys I threw together a mod that lets you upgrade the matter manipulator more until it becomes a 6x6 beast with much more power.

I don't know how "balanced" it is but it's way more fun. If your character already has a maxed out MM, you'll need to do the following:

code:
/aicommand upgradeBeamaxe6
Otherwise everything should work pretty well - please tell me if there are any issues!

Owns. Tyvm!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

victrix posted:

No, those things sound like what a reasonable sci fi game would have. I recommend they continue making you use stone age technology while you beam back and forth to your spaceship.

To be fair, the game hasn't 'made' me do poo poo with pickaxes. I didn't use a single craftable mining tool until I could make diamond drills, and then only to break apart stubborn building tiles until my MM got fully upgraded. Never touched a single pick or felt the need to

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You missed out, picks kind of own. It isn't what they do that's the issue some people have, it's what they are.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been enjoying this silly game for the last few days (aside from getting fed up with the first boss and /admin 1), because building/decorating houses and finding outfits and farming things and occasionally stumbling onto neat poo poo like underground science labs is everything I always wanted in a timewaster. There are some things I can't figure out because the game is constantly changing and resources are outdated and useless, though.

1) In-game info on food stats is loving nonexistent, aside from vague color-box-by-tier and flipping though the effects tab at the cooking table. Is http://starbounder.org/Food still accurate? Fiber is too annoying to rely on bandages exclusively, although cooked corn still seems good (and easily farmed) for now.

2) I have some friends that also enjoy this silly game, and who I trust to not steal all the blocks out of my ship or something, but I still want to be sure I understand how multiplayer affects my singleplayer save. Everyone starts on the same type of planet but not the ACTUAL same planet, right? So if we play together it's not going to suddenly merge our starter worlds together and gently caress up my house? I just want to protect my little home system, we can trash everything else.

3) Is there a place to steal a coffee maker or am I just going to have to spawn one with /admin?

4) There are weapon icons I can't find an explanation for, like a spear (hunting weapon for meat drops?) or snowflake. Guns also show different ammunition icons, but a lot of the time it just seems to be cosmetic (except for when it isn't, and then you have special ammo types with no icon at all). Are plasma variants different in any way? What is even going on. :psyduck: At least most gun types seem to be junk anyway.

5) Are there item codes for specific shield appearances?

6) I've been backing up my poo poo by copying /giraffe_storage into another folder. Is that everything I need to do? :ohdear:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

You missed out, picks kind of own. It isn't what they do that's the issue some people have, it's what they are.

For some perspective, a COPPER pick is as strong as a pre Rubium/Aegisalt/Violium Manipulator. You are shoving durasteel (which you need uranium to craft the thing to make durasteel with) into your manipulator for the privilege of a longer ranged copper pick that can pick up liquids.

Pick durability is criminally short though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do the species have any different bonuses? I haven't played in a year almost and couldn't remember if there was anything but cosmetic reasons for the species you chose.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mushroom_spore posted:

I've been enjoying this silly game for the last few days (aside from getting fed up with the first boss and /admin 1), because building/decorating houses and finding outfits and farming things and occasionally stumbling onto neat poo poo like underground science labs is everything I always wanted in a timewaster. There are some things I can't figure out because the game is constantly changing and resources are outdated and useless, though.

1) In-game info on food stats is loving nonexistent, aside from vague color-box-by-tier and flipping though the effects tab at the cooking table. Is http://starbounder.org/Food still accurate? Fiber is too annoying to rely on bandages exclusively, although cooked corn still seems good (and easily farmed) for now.

Use this mod. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/descriptive-food.2434/ It adds descriptions to all food.

quote:

3) Is there a place to steal a coffee maker or am I just going to have to spawn one with /admin?

The coffee maker is in the outpost right next to the person who gave you the quest. You can't steal it but you can use it.

quote:

6) I've been backing up my poo poo by copying /giraffe_storage into another folder. Is that everything I need to do? :ohdear:

Yep!

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

mushroom_spore posted:

2) I have some friends that also enjoy this silly game, and who I trust to not steal all the blocks out of my ship or something, but I still want to be sure I understand how multiplayer affects my singleplayer save. Everyone starts on the same type of planet but not the ACTUAL same planet, right? So if we play together it's not going to suddenly merge our starter worlds together and gently caress up my house? I just want to protect my little home system, we can trash everything else.

Multiplayer doesn't try to reconcile your character's world file with the server's (that would be a train wreck), so whatever modifications you've made to your singleplayer worlds won't show up in multi. Your ship, however, will keep any changes that you make to it.

Kingtheninja posted:

Do the species have any different bonuses? I haven't played in a year almost and couldn't remember if there was anything but cosmetic reasons for the species you chose.

Nope, we're still waiting on non-cosmetic differences between races.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Holy poo poo, excellent.

Pakled posted:

The coffee maker is in the outpost right next to the person who gave you the quest. You can't steal it but you can use it.

True, but I try to keep side trips to a minimum where possible. Although I guess I'd need to go there anyway for other ingredients to stock up on mocaccino to abuse high-energy guns.

Colosmicon posted:

Multiplayer doesn't try to reconcile your character's world file with the server's (that would be a train wreck), so whatever modifications you've made to your singleplayer worlds won't show up in multi. Your ship, however, will keep any changes that you make to it.

Oh good. I could have sworn I saw someone on Steam say that their planet-house had been messed up by another player, but I could easily have been misremembering (insomnia's a hell of a drug) and they were really talking about their ship.

So really all I'll need for multiplayer is to stuff anything I'll want into my ship locker beforehand?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Is there anything in the sky like Terraria where you'd find cloud platforms and neat things? I tried doing the whole "build up and see" but it was a whole lot of nothing. Avian Sky Pirates with their anchors not withstanding.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

mushroom_spore posted:

So really all I'll need for multiplayer is to stuff anything I'll want into my ship locker beforehand?

Yep.

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh good. I could have sworn I saw someone on Steam say that their planet-house had been messed up by another player, but I could easily have been misremembering (insomnia's a hell of a drug) and they were really talking about their ship.

If you decide to build a house in multiplayer and some rando finds it, anything can happen. Also, party members can beam aboard each other's ships, so if you don't want to come back to a ship full of blaring sirens and toilets, be very careful about who you invite to your party.

Dely Apple posted:

Is there anything in the sky like Terraria where you'd find cloud platforms and neat things? I tried doing the whole "build up and see" but it was a whole lot of nothing. Avian Sky Pirates with their anchors not withstanding.

Way back in the Koala builds, you could build all the way up to asteroids in orbit. I have no idea if CF kept them in the new stable build. They are way the gently caress up there, and I'm pretty sure they don't have any loot on them, so they're basically a novelty.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ZypherIM posted:

Man of all the things you could pick to complain about, you pick that you don't like bandages made out of plant fiber? That just seems .. odd. I'd complain that they're annoying to use and gently caress up combat balance because either you can spam them and never die (forcing enemies to do really swingy amounts of damage), or they're worthless because they won't save you anyways. There is a reason that more games are moving towards having only a measured amount of healing available, and that is so combat balance isn't retarded.

Make a nano-repair slot, give it a cooldown to use, and make craftable items that heal and/or buff to put in there. Let there be a bind key to use them too, like with the suit abilities, so you don't have to switch from your active item.

I like the way you think.

ZypherIM posted:

Get rid of pick-axes, turn them into stim-like MM accelerator batteries that give you a mining buff, better quality increases buff strength and time.

I wonder if a status effect could increase the amount of ore dropped. That'd be a really fun buff for them, too. (if you need an explanation you can say that since your MM is operating less efficiently, less ore is destroyed in the mining process,)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Picks are useful but I'm happy enough with the speed of the upgraded manipulator not to bother about cluttering my inventory with more consumables, though I'll use them if I happen to find them.

Speaking if asteroids, are the asteroid fields you can fly to just barren now? I've visited some and as far as I can tell they don't have any of the monsters, ore, or cool bases that they used to.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Davoren posted:

Picks are useful but I'm happy enough with the speed of the upgraded manipulator not to bother about cluttering my inventory with more consumables, though I'll use them if I happen to find them.

Speaking if asteroids, are the asteroid fields you can fly to just barren now? I've visited some and as far as I can tell they don't have any of the monsters, ore, or cool bases that they used to.

Yes. They removed the monsters 'cause they didn't feel they were appropriate, and then since they didn't have any risks anymore they felt that meant they shouldn't have any rewards either. Questionable decision, but I guess you'd just end up in the same situation again where players wouldn't properly test out the other worldtypes 'cause they're only focusing on asteroid fields, like you had with desert planets before.

Since that meant they'd just be empty, they did consider just temporarily removing them, but ultimately decided to leave them in until they fix them 'cause hey, if people want to do free-form building there then whatever.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

mushroom_spore posted:

Find a lush, jungle, or tropical planet: you'll be set for longer than you're likely to play this build.

mushroom_spore posted:

mushroom_spore posted:

Information like that is saved to the server. If you play alone, it's saved to your Universe file.The game doesn't reconcile anything like that.

USCM mini-dungeons have them, occasionally. My friend and I have one on out home planet because of that.

mushroom_spore posted:

4) There are weapon icons I can't find an explanation for, like a spear (hunting weapon for meat drops?) or snowflake. Guns also show different ammunition icons, but a lot of the time it just seems to be cosmetic (except for when it isn't, and then you have special ammo types with no icon at all). Are plasma variants different in any way? What is even going on. :psyduck: At least most gun types seem to be junk anyway.
The different ammo types do different things. Guns are still terrible, though.

mushroom_spore posted:

Basically, yes.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

XboxPants posted:

Yes. They removed the monsters 'cause they didn't feel they were appropriate, and then since they didn't have any risks anymore they felt that meant they shouldn't have any rewards either. Questionable decision, but I guess you'd just end up in the same situation again where players wouldn't properly test out the other worldtypes 'cause they're only focusing on asteroid fields, like you had with desert planets before.

Since that meant they'd just be empty, they did consider just temporarily removing them, but ultimately decided to leave them in until they fix them 'cause hey, if people want to do free-form building there then whatever.

On the up side: Asteroid Base!

On the down side: Why build a base?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Koobze posted:

Maybe I am crazy but I thought you could do this before, holding shift or control made the MM do one block at a time. Is this no longer the case?
Oh you already said 1x1. Reading is hard.
I guess I wouldn't mind the 1x1 shift if it focused all your power into it. So like if you have a 4x4 matter manipulator field and you focus it down to 1x1, that block gets mined 16 times faster. At least then you could do precision work at a rate that didn't feel useless.
Still, having a way to scale the MM down would be really nice. Especially if it wasn't proportionally constrained. Squishing the field down to 2x4 for narrow tunnels would be nice.

victrix posted:

I wish I could illustrate the contrast between my initial reaction to Starbound when it was teased however many years ago and my opinion of the game now. Some sort of ms paint fall from grace.
So what you're saying is that the unfettered wonders your brain imagined from the vague promise of an infinite universe you can go romping and fighting and building your way through was better than the harsh reality of an unfinished game by a development team that could charitably be described as "bumbling"?

Koobze posted:

And parkour. Let me jump and grab on to ledges.
I know this is mostly a joke and this is a pretty :spergin:y thing to segue into from it, but I hate that "parkour" is the go-to name for even the most simple things like grabbing a ledge and pulling yourself up in a video game. That's not parkour, that's just pulling yourself up onto a ledge.
Like, I once made a Minecraft map with a jumping puzzle, and literally every LPer I saw who stumbled upon it went "Oh hey, a parkour challenge!" It's just a jumping puzzle, goddammit!
All right, sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Vib Rib posted:

I know this is mostly a joke and this is a pretty :spergin:y thing to segue into from it, but I hate that "parkour" is the go-to name for even the most simple things like grabbing a ledge and pulling yourself up in a video game. That's not parkour, that's just pulling yourself up onto a ledge.
Like, I once made a Minecraft map with a jumping puzzle, and literally every LPer I saw who stumbled upon it went "Oh hey, a parkour challenge!" It's just a jumping puzzle, goddammit!
All right, sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Hey man didn't you know? Prince of Persia was a parkour challenge game, following on the footsteps of Jet Set Willy

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Some people on my server had a good idea. They built their base on top of an Apex facility, the kind with the block protection machine. They blocked it off with some kind of combination lock that requires you flick the switches in just the right way to get inside and turn off the protection and it's not really obvious where the switches for this are.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

So what you're saying is that the unfettered wonders your brain imagined from the vague promise of an infinite universe you can go romping and fighting and building your way through was better than the harsh reality of an unfinished game by a development team that could charitably be described as "bumbling"?

I kinda imagined Terraria but in space

... the gap between that and this really isn't much different than what you wrote though

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

victrix posted:

I kinda imagined Terraria but in space
... the gap between that and this really isn't much different than what you wrote though
Then hey, look on the bright side. Worst case scenario, Starbound is a little distraction between now and when we get Terraria 2.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone link a mod that makes the Matter Manipulator rule right off the bat? I don't want to go durdle through rock for hours just for the privilege of doing it faster.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Vib Rib, the plant matters mod you updated can be tricky if you start off a new universe. I started a character, and the only trees on the starter planet, which uses the garden biome btw, were all flowers. Of course getting wood is impossible by giant flowers, so you might want to take a quick look at that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you decide to make Impervium armor, don't do it and make Ferozium armor instead. The armor and health differences between the armors is only 10 points and you get triple the energy.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
So I have a server running, current max players set 8 as default, but can increase it without issue. Are any of you nerds interested in using an MP server that would require a new character? I'd be happy to add mods to it, as well.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

automaticswim posted:

So I have a server running, current max players set 8 as default, but can increase it without issue. Are any of you nerds interested in using an MP server that would require a new character? I'd be happy to add mods to it, as well.

Yeah, do it. Goons need a place to go test out game-breaking mods in multiplayer.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, do it. Goons need a place to go test out game-breaking mods in multiplayer.

Yeah why not I guess. Maxplayers set to 16, using these mods:

Smelting items to bars
Illuminated ores
Block crafting table
Block replicator
Pixel Goods Store
More caves
Faster backstep
Mysterious Stars

Server IP 23.226.232.117

Edit: apparently one of these mods causes the client to poo poo bricks. I will figure it out and eliminate it in a moment ugh.
Edit2: Pixel Goods Store is apparently what was loving the client. Everything should be good, now.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 8, 2015

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

On the up side: Asteroid Base!

On the down side: Why build a base?

Base has the benefit of not being restricted in size and anyone being able to visit in constrast to your spaceship i guess. It would be cool if you could put your respawn/planet warping on your home planet and make the ship optional, then it just becomes a choice of whether you want your sweet base to be on a planet or in a giant spaceship, then using the other for storage.

I look forward to trying this game in the future when some minecraft technic-style modpack comes out that basically makes all the poo poo parts not poo poo, or at least less poo poo..

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IAmTheRad posted:

Vib Rib, the plant matters mod you updated can be tricky if you start off a new universe. I started a character, and the only trees on the starter planet, which uses the garden biome btw, were all flowers. Of course getting wood is impossible by giant flowers, so you might want to take a quick look at that.
Oh, hm, I hadn't considered that. I guess the solution is to remove non-wood-yielding trunks from the possible trunk types that can spawn on gardens. I'll look into it soon, shouldn't be a hard fix.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
All of the stupid typos and things like "plantmatterblock" are bothering me so I'm going ahead and making a typofix mod to fix all of that. :argh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grapplejack posted:

If you decide to make Impervium armor, don't do it and make Ferozium armor instead. The armor and health differences between the armors is only 10 points and you get triple the energy.

I had a feeling it would be something silly like that. So I was already planning on it just because "Well, I can build a rocket launcher that will not be tied to the RNG in damage." with the :airquotes: Ranged table.

Still, thanks for the heads up on just how dire the difference is. I was still considering the Impervium stuff just because of how much anything can hurt and how they probably "balanced" damage you take around Impervium.

RE: Asteroid base. Just build on a moon. You get the benefits of an enemy free SPACE BASE without the downsides of having to dig through magmarocks, risking falling a zillion miles below your position and getting lost if not dead, and having absolutely no ambient sound effects.

Or just locate a "Barren" world of an appropriately spacey color so early players without nanosuits can actually go there.

I may also be somewhat biased against asteroid biomes with all my poo poo luck with them in past stable. "Whoops! Spawned me onto the instant death border.... Whoops half the enemies have wind gust breath and I have no techs more advanced than pulse jump and dash!"

I am convinced the Grappling hook gun in the new stable is worse than the old one. I got drat good at dual grapple hook gunning my way around the void in old stable due to the lack of techs, and right now every time I try to do anything cool it either doesn't launch me vertically with any notable force, or refuses to catch onto things as I plummet past them hitting asteroids with the grapple gin upwards of 7 times but nothing happens until I thank god I have a no fall damage mod on landing.

Still, the fact Grapple guns no longer use energy (or use so little you can't tell) is a good change, just one drained a crazy amount. Two was just crazy until you had impervium armor back then. I just miss feeling like goddamned spiderman because they removed the rubber bandy effect. As well as the inability to casually attach to any small thing while I hurtle by at three times terminal velocity so long as it is in range.

EDIT: God drat I didn't realize how much I missed the old grapple gun's stronger rubber banding effect until it was gone, now that I can't even do with two grapple guns at the same time what I could with a single one :negative: That poo poo was actually fun before.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 8, 2015

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

automaticswim posted:

Yeah why not I guess. Maxplayers set to 16, using these mods:

Smelting items to bars
Illuminated ores
Block crafting table
Block replicator
Pixel Goods Store
More caves
Faster backstep
Mysterious Stars

Server IP 23.226.232.117

Edit: apparently one of these mods causes the client to poo poo bricks. I will figure it out and eliminate it in a moment ugh.
Edit2: Pixel Goods Store is apparently what was loving the client. Everything should be good, now.

To assist nerds that care to use it, a server status page as well as online player count; and, should the server die and not autorestart as I've sternly instructed it to do, a button to restart the server will show up as well.
http://baddadsyndro.me/sbserver.php

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Is it possible to to join on missions like the lunar base in multiplayer? if so, how?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Jesus. The "hardest" part of the Weapons test boss is the missiles. Because A: at range they are so tiny that even spraying an assault rifle can miss them because whoops it wasn't a pixel perfect hit on a tiny moving target. B: Are you fighting with melee weapons and a shield up close? Enjoy the missiles going off right in your face even if you hit them with your sword with shield up!

The dash punch is a bit too fast for me to reliably perfect guard, so I just pulse jump and let it clip my shield held normally if need be (About the one thing that will not instantly shatter my shield). Energy barrage is easy to perfect block, the "gently caress you, you walk backwards slowly" is the main reason the flamethrower is a danger so most of my energy gets spent air dashing to open up distance, or trying to shoot down missiles.

So yes, most difficult boss so far. But only because it's missile spam is so finicky. My current best shield is a Frost shield with 200 health, if you gently caress up a perfect guard one missile breaks it from full, and the flamethrower shatters it nearly instantly so may as well just tank the flamethrower which does about the least damage, and seems to just be there to remind you that you walk slower backwards (not that you can outrun it walking forwards that well either).

More of a slog than a challenge even if it took two tries. Hopefully the 5th glitch location I find actually has a codex, because the last ones in passing, and random glitch rooms buried underground didn't.

EDIT Easy Mode Confession: Molotovs are lovely. I guess the boss wised up because after the first time it stunned itself against a wall and I took off over half it's health bar, any further wall stuns lasted about 2 seconds tops before it went back to attacking.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 8, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dPB posted:

Is it possible to to join on missions like the lunar base in multiplayer? if so, how?

From your own ship, talk to your AI and go to the lunar base. There is one shared instance of the dungeon for everyone.

As a bonus, it won't reset if someone dies as long as at least one person is still alive in the instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Has anybody got suggestions on how to beat the Floran Party? Melee combat is the least fun thing in this game.

• Locked thread