Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Does it matter who's leading it?

Cause I've had tinyyyy stacks end up at the 'head' of say, a 19000 strong army of the byzantines, and despite the byzantines being my enemy and there only being a small rear end percentage of vassal, not getting the warscore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
So I'm the king of Ireland, and one of my vassal duke's counts went and got a matrilineal marriage to some random independent duchess. He did have a son by her before he croaked, though, so, while the son didn't like me much, he was still my vassal's vassal and all was well enough. That is, until one of my idiot earls decided he was tired of living next door to a dirty foreign count and had the still-childless son murdered, leaving his mother to inherit the county. :argh: I couldn't put a stop to the plot because my character was incapable and my regent wouldn't let me demand that people end plots. So now I have to wait until my doddering old self finally dies so my son can declare war and take back my county.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Neopie posted:

Does it matter who's leading it?

Cause I've had tinyyyy stacks end up at the 'head' of say, a 19000 strong army of the byzantines, and despite the byzantines being my enemy and there only being a small rear end percentage of vassal, not getting the warscore!

If for instance you're warring against the Byzantine Basilius, hover over the army in question and if it says anything other than "Army of ____ (Byzantine Empire)" you will not get any warscore for defeating it. And yes, I'm not sure how it works but I'm pretty sure you can get screwed out of warscore if the game decides that the 250 dude Army of Doux Cornholio "counts" and the 19000 dude Army of Basilius Jerkass does not. I've had that happen and it sucks very, VERY hard because now my enemy has no army to get any warscore from and I'll have to spend the next 15 loving years sieging poo poo to end the war.

This is Reason #41 why you should not play Ironman and should be prepared to savescum in the event of something bullshit that is not WAD happens.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Indeed. Thanks for the help, taht seems to have been my problem.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Four loving generations of fighting the kings of Pannonia and I can't get a single goddamn win in battle. 7000 of Lombard's finest heavy inventory vs. a bunch balkinite fuckers with sticks and my troops rout at first contact every goddamn time. I do not understand this game's combat system at all, i do not understand how I enter a battle with even troop numbers on even terrain and I lose 5000 men while they lose 500, and my incompetence in making me angry and sour.

Like i can take my decent rulers being assassinated by rivalrous dukes I don't even know loving exist two generations in a row, i can take fuckwit seducers spamming my Duchess' with events over and over with no option to turn them down, but I can't take spending 100 years mustering every single resource i can to take down a single pagan kingdom and losing every battle like they were the french vs. EU3 natives.

I hate that my wrothful and brave Duke can spend 8 years in the war focus, not gain a single point of martial, and then loses brave randomly I'm. I hate that I hit 'Get Help With New Holdings' button and it gave away my best land without even giving me a yes or no prompt (this is totally my fault I'm a loving retard but I'm still mad about it)! Every time I try to do anything cool in an ironman game i just get horrifically frustrated and I feel the only way I'll ever be able to finish a full game and get that achievement is to start in the loving faeores and spend 15 hours watching the map change colors because everytime I actually try to play the game my troops get jelly knee and my liege's are immortal genius shitlord's with a hardon for crown authority and getting into random wars against the only friendly neighbors i have.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are you assigning flank leaders to your stacks?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Scrree: Sorry to ask a stupid question, but are you paying attention to your army's morale? It's a little green(good)/red(bad) bar next to the number of troops on the map. Levies start with 0 morale and you have to wait for it to fill up--armies on half morale or less will break and flee for the hills almost immediately if their opponent has full morale, even if it's much smaller.

You probably already know this but I just wanted to be sure, plus in case a new player ends up reading this page

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The only acceptable reply to someone whining about battles not going their way is to ask for a screenshot of the battle screen.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I've already deleted the save so unfortunately no record exists of my failure other than my subsequent welching.

It's a testament to the quality of the game that I've spent the last hour or so reflecting on how it took an incredible amount of mistakes and carelessness on my part to end up in a situation of total failure, and how at every turn there were better and more reliable options I could have chosen. For example, I was using elective succession as a pure dukedom (no counts under me) so I had complete control of who my heir was, and despite this I still ended up with playing in regency for like 1/4 of my run because I always choose my characters kids to inherit since it seemed like the simplest thing to do. I think it's really easy for people who don't normally play Ironman to tunnel-vision on one aspect of the game (gotta defeat these pagans!) and then get totally blindsided by something else but still not really learn their lesson since they can just reload and adjust their play accordingly.

Volkerball posted:

Are you assigning flank leaders to your stacks?

I'm making sure their are three dudes who aren't craven in each command bubble on the army screen, is there something more I should be doing?

edit: Someone give me a moderately hard goal (like 'Become the independent King of Croatia as a Lombard Duke') and I'll chronicle my attempt and post it. The only major DLC I don't have is Rajas of India.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Scrree posted:

I'm making sure their are three dudes who aren't craven in each command bubble on the army screen, is there something more I should be doing?
Are they Slavic or Tengri? Because if they're the former, you should never attack before MilOrg 4, because then you get to eat massive attrition penalties and the bastards also get a pretty big defensive bonus.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
How can you modify the vassal republic/theocracy county limit?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NewMars posted:

I don't think there's a specific setting for republics or theocracies, they just go off the settings for the equivalent feudal title (VASSAL_LIMIT_DUKE_MULT, VASSAL_LIMIT_KING_MULT, etc.) in defines.lua.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just gave Ashkenazi's horde culture, and started as the king of Africa. :getin: Think I'm gonna use my invasion CB to crack into Nubia since the Abassid blob doesn't seem to like to go that direction.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

NewMars posted:

In defines.lua, change lines 659 and 660:

code:
		MAX_REPUBLIC_COUNTIES_IN_REALM = 0.1,		-- 10% of a feudal realm is allowed to be under vassal republics (affects title grants)
		MAX_THEOCRACY_COUNTIES_IN_REALM = 0.1,		-- 10% of a feudal realm is allowed to be under vassal theocracies/bishoprics (affects title grants)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

First Lux Invicta campaign: Just united the Finnic lands of Both Suomenskuan and Norse-Ilmatarid faith under my chieftain Vaino and had him proclaimed King of Karvala within 15 years.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 8, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is Reason #41 why you should not play Ironman and should be prepared to savescum in the event of something bullshit that is not WAD happens.

What is WAD?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

What is WAD?

Working as designed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

If for instance you're warring against the Byzantine Basilius, hover over the army in question and if it says anything other than "Army of ____ (Byzantine Empire)" you will not get any warscore for defeating it. And yes, I'm not sure how it works but I'm pretty sure you can get screwed out of warscore if the game decides that the 250 dude Army of Doux Cornholio "counts" and the 19000 dude Army of Basilius Jerkass does not. I've had that happen and it sucks very, VERY hard because now my enemy has no army to get any warscore from and I'll have to spend the next 15 loving years sieging poo poo to end the war.

You can just kill the process if something completely bugs out in ironman and since it only saves once every 6 months, in all likelihood you can undo the "bullshit".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anyone know what the deal with this poo poo is? I can't select my own character on the "arrange marriage" screen. I don't have any traits blocking marriage nor any bethrotals or anything and yet my character is completely absent from the list of eligible characters in my court.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BBJoey posted:

Anyone know what the deal with this poo poo is? I can't select my own character on the "arrange marriage" screen. I don't have any traits blocking marriage nor any bethrotals or anything and yet my character is completely absent from the list of eligible characters in my court.

She's 40 and thus no longer able to get children, if I recall correctly then you (the player) can't marry such women. Try a younger bride.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I only used her as an example, it's the same with women of any age in any court.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BBJoey posted:

I only used her as an example, it's the same with women of any age in any court.

That's strange. Have you tried it the other way around, first selecting your character and then trying to find a suitable wife in your court?

Or perhaps it's your negative prestige? Or some temporary trait? I'm truly at a loss.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I'm not capable of being selected before or after a woman. No unusual traits. I guess it could be my prestige but I can still marry from the selection that comes up from clicking the rings icon. It seems like there's a bug that's not making my character manually selectable in the marriage window.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

My heir just changed from my genius son to his juvenile harelip offspring. I'm running ag-cog primo. My son is alive and well and still married to his first wife. Hasn't joined any religious orders or anything.

Anyone have any idea what just happened and if it's fixable? I don't want my ugly grandkid to inherit, I was my genius son to inherit and make a born-in-the-purple genius baby to inherit after him. Playing Ironman so no console.

e: Also holy poo poo it's annoying when I send 30k guys to siege a holding but I can't assault it because some shitlord AI has 250 guys parked there so I'm not the leader of the siege. What the hell are 250 guys gonna do to stop me assaulting it? I'm the Emperor of Rome, I don't give a gently caress.

e2: Welp immediately after I posted my ruler died so the six-year-old harelip kid is now in charge. Great.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 8, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wafflecopper posted:

My heir just changed from my genius son to his juvenile harelip offspring. I'm running ag-cog primo. My son is alive and well and still married to his first wife. Hasn't joined any religious orders or anything.

Anyone have any idea what just happened and if it's fixable? I don't want my ugly grandkid to inherit, I was my genius son to inherit and make a born-in-the-purple genius baby to inherit after him. Playing Ironman so no console.

e: Also holy poo poo it's annoying when I send 30k guys to siege a holding but I can't assault it because some shitlord AI has 250 guys parked there so I'm not the leader of the siege. What the hell are 250 guys gonna do to stop me assaulting it? I'm the Emperor of Rome, I don't give a gently caress.

e2: Welp immediately after I posted my ruler died so the six-year-old harelip kid is now in charge. Great.

Did you have a firstborn son who died? Under primogeniture, the sons of your oldest son will inherit before your younger sons when their father (your firstborn son) is dead. Or was the harelip kid born in the purple and your genius son not? If so, you should have given your genius son the honorary title that makes them born in the purple (despot I believe).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Genius was an only son. Not born in purple but neither was Harelip. I gave despot to Genius after he dropped from the succession but it didn't fix the problem. Harelip is Genius's only son. Genius has completely dropped out of the succession as far as I can tell. Harelip's heir and pretenders are his two sisters and an aunt.

I'm now 9 over my vassal limit and I have vassals signing up to factions in droves and as I'm stuck in a regency for the next 10 years and can't change laws, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot I can do about it. :suicide:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Is he the heir to a republic.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really really hate when this happens and don't understand at all why it's this way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can just kill the process if something completely bugs out in ironman and since it only saves once every 6 months, in all likelihood you can undo the "bullshit".

Clever! :eng101:

BBJoey posted:

It's stupid but you have to resign from your liege's council before you can select yourself in a marriage prompt (though you can still marry through clicking the rings icon and picking a woman off the list that appears).

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.
Does anyone know if there excsts a program that can draw family trees from the CK2 save? I remember there being one for CK1, but haven't found anything for CK2.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there any way to edit a save to not be ironman anymore? I have a game going as Jewish Tulunids going where I got very lucky with the Abbasids facing some early internal conflict that left them formidable, but off my back while I was getting started. I captured Jerusalem while they were bogged down in a disastrous jihad for Armenia, then started building the Third Temple.

That's where it went wrong. My king received a crushing blow to the head and was incapable for a few months before dying. According to Google, having your ruler die during the construction of the Temple seems to sometimes cause a bug where it breaks the event chain and the Temple is never finished. It's been twenty years and there's no sign of the Temple. I've since captured the rest of the de jure Kingdom of Jerusalem and formed Israel, but never got the Zealots or a religious head. My whole goal for this run is borked because of a bug and I'm never playing on ironman again, ugh.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kawalimus posted:

I really really hate when this happens and don't understand at all why it's this way.

Who ever gets to the province first is at the head of the stack. It really quite simple to avoid if you pay attention

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Inside Outside posted:

Is there any way to edit a save to not be ironman anymore? I have a game going as Jewish Tulunids going where I got very lucky with the Abbasids facing some early internal conflict that left them formidable, but off my back while I was getting started. I captured Jerusalem while they were bogged down in a disastrous jihad for Armenia, then started building the Third Temple.

That's where it went wrong. My king received a crushing blow to the head and was incapable for a few months before dying. According to Google, having your ruler die during the construction of the Temple seems to sometimes cause a bug where it breaks the event chain and the Temple is never finished. It's been twenty years and there's no sign of the Temple. I've since captured the rest of the de jure Kingdom of Jerusalem and formed Israel, but never got the Zealots or a religious head. My whole goal for this run is borked because of a bug and I'm never playing on ironman again, ugh.

You can load the save and then before you click play, uncheck ironman. Going back 20 years though, yeah, you're hosed. But you'd be hosed in this case even if you weren't playing ironman.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Courtesy of an independence revolt, my entry for the Ugliest Borders Ever contest:

Yes, that's a 4-clump HRE consisting of Northern France and Belgium; Aquitaine; Central Germany; and Lombardy. Normandy is an exclave of Middle Francia, and the Byzantine Empire is basically gone, slowly but surely losing its scattered Mediterranean holdings to local rulers.

List of exclaves:
1) Baden is an exclave of Bavaria sandwiched between Alemannia and Middle Francia.
2) Chalons is an exclave of Middle Francia on the border between the HRE and Norman Burgundy.
3) Hainaut is an exclave of Holland within the HRE.
4) Nish and Rama are exclaves of Serbia within Bolghar Carpathia.
5) Orbetello is an exclave of the Papacy.
6) Vienne is an exclave of Swedish Revolt within Burgundy, and has been for decades. Burgundy would probably have seized it by now if it weren't for having issues of its own; especially since Swedish Revolt is pagan while the Burgundian Normans adopted Catholicism before Burgundy was even independent from Sweden.
EDIT: 7) Also Holstein and Halland are exclaves of Suomi. Ragnar's sons have been in a pretty much constant thunderdome since he died.

Also I started this game as Charlemagne himself and have now been reduced to a 0-years old count of Verona. Ironman!

DStecks fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 8, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Grouchio posted:

First Lux Invicta campaign: Just united the Finnic lands of Both Suomenskuan and Norse-Ilmatarid faith under my chieftain Vaino and had him proclaimed King of Karvala within 15 years.

Yeah that kind of poo poo's normal with Lux. The real pain isn't empire-making, it's empire-maintenance. Since the map is filled with hundreds of mini kingdoms either you're gonna sit on a bunch of unhappy de facto vassals until their duchies go de jure or you're gonna go emperor and hand out king/viceroy (when you tech to that point) titles to your various family members/vassals--which obviously has its own problems.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The downside of creating theocratic vassals with Sons of Abraham:

Sometimes your bishop gets elected Pope, gets a claim on the lands he had to forfeit to inherit the Papacy, and then wages war on you.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ofaloaf posted:

The downside of creating theocratic vassals with Sons of Abraham:

Sometimes your bishop gets elected Pope, gets a claim on the lands he had to forfeit to inherit the Papacy, and then wages war on you.

That is bad luck. Like, bad with a capital B. As far as I can tell, apart from very rare situations, the Pope never presses those claims (which every Pope gets). Didn't Paradox say that they lobotomized the Pope so he doesn't conquer the world?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheMcD posted:

That is bad luck. Like, bad with a capital B. As far as I can tell, apart from very rare situations, the Pope never presses those claims (which every Pope gets). Didn't Paradox say that they lobotomized the Pope so he doesn't conquer the world?

Have you seen the Jewish LP? Mega papacy is a thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Torrannor posted:

Have you seen the Jewish LP? Mega papacy is a thing.

That's another freak occurence. I can intentionally try to create a battle pope by shoving half of Italy up his rear end and having him take it and he just does absolutely nothing. Every once in a while, usually through Crusades going horribly wrong, it can actually come to a huge Papacy that expands further through crusades, but that's a big outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Otoh I just managed to throw enough mercs together to defeat the Pope before my treasury dwindled to nothing, and so when he was forced to surrender I got to take just a twentieth of the Pope's wealth-- only 1200 ducats or so.

The main bullshit thing about the war is that none of my allies wanted to wage war on a religious head, so all those marriages I'd managed to spin counted for nothing when the situation was really dire. Thanks, Karlings.

• Locked thread