Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had a minor FOD issue with some of the jets, but somebody can't keep their loving mouth shut so the media got involved. Now the airport is getting a bunch of calls because people think they're going to be involved in the next great air disaster if they fly out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how minor we talking here

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Non-life threatening damage that was caught early and repaired. A commercial airliner wouldn't have picked up anything up.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The media reporting on anything aviation related is loving terrible. Seeing how much stuff they wildly misrepresent or get flat-out wrong blows my mind. And it pisses me off that there's no way a news outlet would, say, mix up Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift in a story, but it's cool if Fox can't get the number of engines right on an A320.

Great example:

The Ferret King posted:

Aviation news reporting is always bad. But this really sets a new standard for me:

http://tinyurl.com/qexyyxc

"Deborah 94 maintain distance" (Actual: "JetBlue 94 maintain visual")
*long beep*
"Ok what you heard there, that long beep? That was the alarm from the collision warning system" (Actual: It was two or more people trying to broadcast at the same time on the frequency)

They proceed to then trump up the drama with some self proclaimed "expert" to talk about how someone's 5 year old nearly died on this flight.

This is what TCAS actually sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrYqIU0NxHQ

Also note the relatively benign climb and return to assigned altitude. Expeditious compliance is necessary, but it's not like they haul back on the yoke and point the fucker straight up.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The media reporting on anything aviation related is loving terrible. Seeing how much stuff they wildly misrepresent or get flat-out wrong blows my mind. And it pisses me off that there's no way a news outlet would, say, mix up Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift in a story, but it's cool if Fox can't get the number of engines right on an A320.

Great example:

Fox can't even tell the difference between submarines and carriers, I don't expect them to be able to count. For a right wing agency, I expected them to know more about weapons platforms in our country.

I just remembered some more stupid students I had. Like one that daisy chained uninterruptible power supplies in our switches thinking they'd recharge each other and last forever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My dad is a corrections officer. One time when he was supervising at night one of his coworkers calls him from a bar and tried to get him yo talk to his reporter friend about an incident that happened in court that day. He was pretty much "gently caress you, tell him to wait for the press conference".

Right now he's having loads of fun because a guy who got brought in on a DUI/test refusal has a lawyer who is stringing him along for more money like he's going to get out of it, there's no way in hell that's going to happen. This brilliant guy's plan was to have his wife bring in a Tupperware container for him to pee in and have it independently tested. They were going to let him do it even though it was inadmissable just to shut him up, but he was passed out and dead to the world when she showed up. This was after passing out in the phone booth when he tried to call her.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wait, what's he passing out from? They don't let you have beer in jail, right?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kavak posted:

Wait, what's he passing out from? They don't let you have beer in jail, right?

This is at the station while he's still drunk.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He came into jail completely trashed well past the decimals. A little more and he'd have had to be taken to the hospital.

He had a heroin addict with really hosed up veins throw a fit about having to take his shoes off when being in processed because he thought the floor was gross.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It appears that a guy in my squadron is finally getting what's coming to him. He's known to everyone to be a drunk but no one ever does anything about it. At the 2013 holiday party, he got super drunk, harassed people, acted like an idiot and started a fight. Instead of doing anything of any value, they took away his stripe and gave him a slap on the wrist. Six months later he got his stripe back and I think he got back pay. He's been known to show up to work smelling like alcohol.

A couple weeks back, I got informed that someone that someone hit another car, got a DUI and didn't bother telling squadron leadership. Commander is apparently really pissed about it so everyone had to be briefed about informing leadership about run-ins with the law. Then the other day, someone in my shop was talking about how the guy doesn't show up in Lync anymore. When someone else mentioned going to see him in the uncleared shop, I put two and two together. I assume he's entirely done now. If he doesn't get outright kicked out, he has to at least lose his stripe at which point he'll get kicked out for high year tenure as he made staff in his last chance.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm really kind of annoyed that it took him potentially injuring someone else before leadership would bother doing anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

He came into jail completely trashed well past the decimals. A little more and he'd have had to be taken to the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED75tzHIFok

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It appears that a guy in my squadron is finally getting what's coming to him. He's known to everyone to be a drunk but no one ever does anything about it. At the 2013 holiday party, he got super drunk, harassed people, acted like an idiot and started a fight. Instead of doing anything of any value, they took away his stripe and gave him a slap on the wrist. Six months later he got his stripe back and I think he got back pay. He's been known to show up to work smelling like alcohol.

A couple weeks back, I got informed that someone that someone hit another car, got a DUI and didn't bother telling squadron leadership. Commander is apparently really pissed about it so everyone had to be briefed about informing leadership about run-ins with the law. Then the other day, someone in my shop was talking about how the guy doesn't show up in Lync anymore. When someone else mentioned going to see him in the uncleared shop, I put two and two together. I assume he's entirely done now. If he doesn't get outright kicked out, he has to at least lose his stripe at which point he'll get kicked out for high year tenure as he made staff in his last chance.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm really kind of annoyed that it took him potentially injuring someone else before leadership would bother doing anything.

this dude rules

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

you know he's down to party

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
we had a guy get plastered and try to walk home because, even drunk, he knows better than to drink and drive.

however, it started raining and he didn't want to walk in the rain, so he was going to sit in his car until he either sobered up or it stopped raining, then he would walk home.

well he forgot where he parked his car, found one that looked like it and got in trouble for trying to break into it.

cops handed him over to the MPs and a female LT was talking to him. he said "ma'am, i have zero respect for you."

MPs said they would have probably just let him sleep it off until he said that.

what i am getting at is it is okay for a drunk dude to try to break into a car but it isn't ok for you to disrespect da ladiez.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, he said ma'am

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it's rude to insult meter maids

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cole posted:

what i am getting at is it is okay for a drunk dude to try to break into a car but it isn't ok for you to disrespect da ladiez.

"ladiez" is a strange way to write "LT's".

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

it's rude to insult meter maids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzP3Jyp2xI0

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

He's got a bright future

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh and one of my coworkers isn't allowed to come to drill until he gets his wisdom teeth taken out. He was supposed to get this done months ago, part of the reason he didn't might be because he wasn't taking advantage of Tricare Dental, then the money he had set aside to have it done ended up being spent on a new used car after his 2006 car just stopped working. He didn't have a regular job and hasn't been allowed to do days up at the base because he displayed issues with showing up for a few years. Now he's doing an internship someplace a couple days a week. He finally got scheduled to have them removed but it's not until late March so he's not going to back drilling again till April.

They made him Airman of the year twice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, no DUIs. He probably did something like plan a Christmas party.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mostly it's because the people who decide airman of the year gently caress it up about more than half the time, so that it's a pleasant surprise when somebody who actually deserves it wins. I don't really want to win, but the couple of times I was sure they were going to give it to me they gave it to people who had don't done poo poo that year.

His second win was one of those years I was sure I was going to get it, and was a couple months after he got an LOC for not showing up for work multiple times.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
after my marrow donation upper management never bugged me about volunteer opportunities again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The air force becomes a lot less stressful when you realize the awards process is the NCOIC saying "Who haven't we put up for an award recently? Ok, scrounge up everyone's bullets and write him a package." Then whatever master sgt is above him fixes all the bullets to make them look nice and sends them up. After all the times I saw people get awards for things I did and was in charge of, I stopped giving a poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I do love rubbing their noses in it when I think I'll get away with it.

"Well he was Airman of the Year, if anything I should be following his leave"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The air force becomes a lot less stressful when you realize the awards process is the NCOIC saying "Who haven't we put up for an award recently? Ok, scrounge up everyone's bullets and write him a package." Then whatever master sgt is above him fixes all the bullets to make them look nice and sends them up. After all the times I saw people get awards for things I did and was in charge of, I stopped giving a poo poo.

"Who needs this for their career?" is definitely part of the process but we always tried to pair actual merit with it. Although, one of the STEP packages I put together was for a brownnoser, but it was the weakest of the three we submitted. Because she was definitely the weakest candidate and because we didn't put as much into it, not expecting her to really compete at the wing. We took three of the wing's four stripes somehow, and I'm pretty sure it pissed off some of the junior airmen that she got one of them.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 8, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A few months ago, a guy in my shop was being put up for airman of the whatever. We both came from a different shop, so the NCOIC of our current shop asked for some bullets from the old shop. Our NCOIC is trying to write it and asks the guy "Hey, can you explain what this bullet is about? I need some more information." Since the guy hadn't done it, he replied with "Uh, I don't know." So the NCOIC asked me. At first I had no idea what it was. It was something like adding memory to servers increasing storage by 300% or something which made absolutely no sense. It had nothing to do with our career field, not to mention that servers don't use "memory" as storage. NCOIC asked the guy who sent (and wrote) that bullet for clarification. It was the guy who barely speaks English and barely speaks Tagalog and he had no idea what it meant either.

I looked at it again and based on the number of "servers" I realized what it was. It was a small project I lead where we increased the storage space of several distro switches with compact flash cards. Not only was the bullet entirely wrong, the original guy had no idea what it was because he didn't even do any of it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cojawfee posted:

A few months ago, a guy in my shop was being put up for airman of the whatever. We both came from a different shop, so the NCOIC of our current shop asked for some bullets from the old shop. Our NCOIC is trying to write it and asks the guy "Hey, can you explain what this bullet is about? I need some more information." Since the guy hadn't done it, he replied with "Uh, I don't know." So the NCOIC asked me. At first I had no idea what it was. It was something like adding memory to servers increasing storage by 300% or something which made absolutely no sense. It had nothing to do with our career field, not to mention that servers don't use "memory" as storage. NCOIC asked the guy who sent (and wrote) that bullet for clarification. It was the guy who barely speaks English and barely speaks Tagalog and he had no idea what it meant either.

I looked at it again and based on the number of "servers" I realized what it was. It was a small project I lead where we increased the storage space of several distro switches with compact flash cards. Not only was the bullet entirely wrong, the original guy had no idea what it was because he didn't even do any of it.

Thank you for your servers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the bullets on my first Air Force Achievement medal is for the probably illegal modifications I made to a pyrotechnic device.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I got an ARCOM for running cable on FOB Gabe so 3rd ID could play Halo 2 against 1st ID.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
My deployed AFCM includes an oblique reference to the time I almost got someone (and possibly myself) killed by loving around with a generator at KAF.

A mx Capt and an airfield management Lt are probably not the people you want troubleshooting why a hangar door isn't getting juice from a portable generator (that would be the same portable generator I drove across the runway to get it to the hangar in the first place...in a vehicle I wasn't qualified to drive, with no qualification to be towing anything, on an airfield I wasn't technically qualified to drive on at the time).

I am really disappointed though that they couldn't work in a "MWR" (i.e. beer burgers and tits) related bullet to one of my OPRs and/or dec from when I worked Red Flag.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
• Bravely walked around KAF, ingesting human feces particles in the air from the poo poo pond.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Mike-o posted:

• Bravely walked around KAF, ingesting human feces particles in the air from the poo poo pond.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Nah, by the time I was there the poo ponds were basically all but gone (they finally dismantled them last year I'm pretty sure).

Now the burn pits the Afghan AF dudes were running outside the wire just upwind of Losano/CBS were a different story.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I got an ARCOM for running cable on FOB Gabe so 3rd ID could play Halo 2 against 1st ID.

I once saw an ARCOM citation that was literally for qualifying as a marksman on the rifle range.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Nah, by the time I was there the poo ponds were basically all but gone (they finally dismantled them last year I'm pretty sure).

Now the burn pits the Afghan AF dudes were running outside the wire just upwind of Losano/CBS were a different story.

It was still active in early 2012, when I was there. In 50 years it'll be the only patch of Afghanistan where anything grows even remotely well. Our only lasting contribution to that country will be the hole where we literally piled up everybody's poo poo.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
nobody likes you dickhead

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 31, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What's the overall feeling on stories about KBR fuckery in this thread?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My first EPR (a stunning firewall 4 earned while simultaneously being drunk a lot and washing out of ATC, though the two were unrelated) contained a bullet about raising over $300 towards the unit morale fund. Because I bought a bunch of kegs of beer and invited the RAPCON shift to the e-club to float them on numerous occasions.

I also had a buddy put on Master about a year and a half back, and he successfully got a push line through the wing/cc that read "Incredible SNCO leader/mentor; inserted himself into five projects and guided them to the finish--SMSgt now"

:quagmire:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Casimir Radon posted:

Oh and one of my coworkers isn't allowed to come to drill until he gets his wisdom teeth taken out. He was supposed to get this done months ago, part of the reason he didn't might be because he wasn't taking advantage of Tricare Dental, then the money he had set aside to have it done ended up being spent on a new used car after his 2006 car just stopped working. He didn't have a regular job and hasn't been allowed to do days up at the base because he displayed issues with showing up for a few years. Now he's doing an internship someplace a couple days a week. He finally got scheduled to have them removed but it's not until late March so he's not going to back drilling again till April.

They made him Airman of the year twice.

Who the gently caress should care if someone doesn't get their wisdom teeth taken out?

That would be the Air Force.

I was in a shop once that had nothing better to do that dumb poo poo like that. I got an LOC and had to take meet a money management counselor because what started off with my car blowing a head gasket ended up taking a few weeks before I got another car. It wasn't worth it to fix the car, since it was just a beater I picked up when I got back tot he states.

So I went out to get a new one instead. The guy ran my credit report and at some point between then and a couple weeks ago when I got another credit report, the credit bureaus all decided to merge my credit report with another guy with the same name, that was at the same previous base with me, and came over to my new base around the same time as me.

I went to the local social security office because my SSN was merged in with all of his dumb poo poo, like Blockbuster Video collections, and they had to investigate stuff for me and it doesn't happen overnight. It's been over a decade and that poo poo still creeps up from time to time.

A couple weeks later I get a new car and then get in trouble. I didn't raise a stink since I had less than a year out. I went to the counselor and told her the story. She said, "That's it? You aren't having financial issues? I don't know why you're here."

Went back to the shop from my appointment and told them she said it was stupid they sent me there since I had a valid reason for what happened and she was a civilian working on base, so she had some common sense.