Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm pretty sure that critical thinking is an important part of education and you need to be able to think critically to understand the effect media has on you. So I'm gonna make an off the wall assumption that Millennials are more keen to the tricks advertisers use, even if it doesn't change their consumption habits.

Are they that aware of the tricks? It seems like if anything they are doing most of the leg work for advertisers these days.

Are you drinking a brand of beer in one of your facebook photo's? Sharing that spotify playlist with your buds? Its a great return to word of mouth on a massive scale. Its not that you are immune, or think differently about commercials compared to previous generations. They just do a much better job at marketing to their peers than commercials ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

So for everyone curious why Spotify ad targeting sucks its because Spotify wont let it be good. No, seriously, when you negotiate a deal with them they wont let you have any data about who it ran against and don't allow retargeting so when you buy Spotify ads your limited to a hope and a prayer that it targets who your trying to reach. The reason you primarily only hear ads for pop and other general market stuff is because those are the only people comfortable with leaving Spotify in charge and having little data to back it up.

So....why? Wouldn't they be able to charge a lot more for adspace if they could, you know, use the mountains of user data they have to actually target the ads? Isn't that the whole point of social media/user tracking/selling adspace? :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boat posted:

So....why? Wouldn't they be able to charge a lot more for adspace if they could, you know, use the mountains of user data they have to actually target the ads? Isn't that the whole point of social media/user tracking/selling adspace? :psyduck:

I honest to god wish I had an answer. In December Spotify announced that it was killing off app support and the general advertising reaction was the assumption they were doing so to prevent anyone else from having their data. Why exactly they horde this data they have seemingly no idea what in the high-hell to do with nobody knows. Most likely some higher-up knows data is valuable, doesn't want to give it away, but they aren't currently collecting enough useful stuff so they're still blasting away in the dark until they have some sort of working in-house controlled targeting platform to sell to advertisers.

Another thing that Spotify absolutely won't do that Pandora does is that Spotify does no in-house ad work. Pandora, conversely, puts in a lot of effort to help advertisers curate playlists, make creative, and manage their campaign and talk down clients who want ads to run every other commercial break while Spotify just kind of goes "whatever, here are some policy guidelines you have to follow but PS they change constantly, have fun!" Given that on top of poor data and support Spotify listeners tend to be younger and make less money and be less responsive to ads a lot of advertisers avoid Spotify.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

So for everyone curious why Spotify ad targeting sucks its because Spotify wont let it be good. No, seriously, when you negotiate a deal with them they wont let you have any data about who it ran against and don't allow retargeting so when you buy Spotify ads your limited to a hope and a prayer that it targets who your trying to reach. The reason you primarily only hear ads for pop and other general market stuff is because those are the only people comfortable with leaving Spotify in charge and having little data to back it up.

That's hilarious, because the biggest part of Netflix securing licensing and deals is them taking the consumer data to the media companies and breaking down the data into every viable metric for targeted marketing from the media companies. It's one of the reasons they've managed to rise to the top so quickly.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5vnmLMSnM
The controversy was probably fully intentional. There was even a bit of hype regarding the fact famous director Dick Maas made the ad. The controversy certainly made the news and everyone talked about it.

The fact that it's shown with the Telegraaf logo in the corner really tops it off. It's a weird commercial and the stunt at the start actually is stupid and controversial, especially when you considering that the dutch railways have been running a campaign trying to stop people from pulling poo poo like that.

Taeke posted:

Then they had this online campaign that crossed my facebook feed about how it took less than a minute now online, with your DigiD, so it took literally 20 seconds of clicking 2 links, logging in, clicking 2 more buttons and presto, I received my donor card in the mail a couple of days later. I shared the same link on my wall and a couple of friends commented how they finally did it as well.

Yeah, in cases like this a simple explanation will do wonders for people who are on the fence. Getting them to that point is probably where the problem lies, but that isn't a thing that can be easily solved with a simple campaign.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Gap get kicked off Tindr.......
http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/gap-looking-lovers-new-ad-tinder-162779

quote:

We did a little something special on Tinder," said Tricia Nichols, The Gap's leader of consumer engagement and brand strategies, before Tinder nixed the campaign. "It's a guerrilla [marketing] idea where you'll see a profile with clever messaging in the spirit of love and the perfect match. It's the perfect fit for Tinder."

quote:

In a Twitter message, Tinder's head of communications said, "We did not approve this campaign and it is not an ad"

Gap seem to have really dropped the ball recently, what with that stupid 'dress normal' campaign too.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

"One way trip"... :stare:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5vnmLMSnM

At the end of the vid, the dude taking all the risks reveals that he has a donated heart. The campaign was to get people to decide whether they want to be an organ donor or not. "Are you already a donor?"

This ad was pulled after complaints from train drivers who get heart attacks from people pulling stunts like the dude does at the beginning of the vid :v:

The controversy was probably fully intentional. There was even a bit of hype regarding the fact famous director Dick Maas made the ad. The controversy certainly made the news and everyone talked about it.

But effective? I can imagine someone going "nope, not gonna be a donor because my organs would extend the life of a guy like him, who clearly doesn't appreciate or deserve them".

It was part of a campaign funded by the Dutch Ministry of Health.

Well thanks to this thread talking about this Dutch TV ad I have registered for the UK equivalent, so that is something?

Uk goons can do it via this link, it really is simple.
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/registration/consent.asp

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do they not ask you when you get your photo id/license if you want to be a donor? All you have to do here is just go "sure" and they click a button making you an organ donor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Len posted:

Do they not ask you when you get your photo id/license if you want to be a donor? All you have to do here is just go "sure" and they click a button making you an organ donor.

I was under the impression that they send you an organ donor card which you keep in your wallet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Weirdly, in Australia being an organ donor is totally meaningless. If you die in such a way as to make organ donation possible they'll ask your family for permission, whether you've registered as an organ donor or not. Since you're already dead at that point, it's no longer your decision.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
This is the same in the UK. NHS Scotland have been running an ad campaign which basically starts with a guy saying "If you die without telling your next of kin you want to be an organ donor, you won't be. But if you tell them, you will. So heres a few seconds to tell them". Then it just goes blank for like 10 seconds and the guy comes back and says "Done? Good."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

Humor works on me. If a commercial can be funny and self depreciating, I'm a fan. Not of the product, but the commercial. GON' GET SOME COLD CUTS HELL YEAH. Still wouldn't buy GEICO, but I was entertained between the bits of my show I'm watching.

The funny thing about GEICO is that I actually had them for a long while. I saw their ads and figured "meh, whatever I'll just call them and see if they can in fact save me 15% or more." Well it turns out they could. I ended up paying about 2/3 of what I was paying at the moment and was like "oh yeah, score!" A few years later I had a seizure and ended up going without a car for a while which meant I had no use for insurance. Several months of having your license medically suspended will do that. When I was able to drive again (still haven't had a second seizure) I started car shopping and called up GEICO because, well, they were the cheapest I could get. Turns out that period of no insurance meant I had to pay quadruple what I did before.

Now when I see a GEICO commercial the only thing I think is "yup, gently caress you" no matter how good the commercial is. Like I can't even laugh at the jokes anymore because I know what kind of pile of poo poo GEICO can be. Sorry you stupid loving lizard but no amount of marketing can make me switch back to you, ever.

It really kind of makes me wonder why some companies seem to think that if people hate them for whatever reason they just need to run a few cute commercials and tell everybody about how nice they are and all is good. GEICO saves some people money but also dicks some people over so hard they just never want to go back at all. Is there some executive somewhere that's thinking "screw some people as hard as we can then run a funny commercial, they'll come back?"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Len posted:

Yeah, it's on the driving license application form. And yes, if they don't already know your preference, they usually will ask your relatives at the appropriate stage.

I'm not certain how it works, I think in the UK your relatives can't refuse donation if your preference is to allow it.

I don't think the license actually shows your donor preference anywhere on the card, but maybe it's a database thing. I should get a wallet card.

Donate your organs, folks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funny thing about GEICO is that I actually had them for a long while. I saw their ads and figured "meh, whatever I'll just call them and see if they can in fact save me 15% or more." Well it turns out they could. I ended up paying about 2/3 of what I was paying at the moment and was like "oh yeah, score!" A few years later I had a seizure and ended up going without a car for a while which meant I had no use for insurance. Several months of having your license medically suspended will do that. When I was able to drive again (still haven't had a second seizure) I started car shopping and called up GEICO because, well, they were the cheapest I could get. Turns out that period of no insurance meant I had to pay quadruple what I did before.

Dude what did you expect to happen? Pretty much anything thst gets your license yanked for months is going to statistically make you a greater risk to insure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Radio Paranoia posted:

Dude, you have no idea...

Goons are mostly idiots (especially the ones that think they're the smartest people in the room), but some peasants I met in a rain forest not only knew what Coca Cola was, they had a vending machine full of it. I'm giving the points to their ad dudes on this one.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

It varies by state. Here in Illinois, they ask you at the DMV for the purposes of putting it on your license/state ID, but you still have to go to the Secretary of State's website to complete a registration form when you get home or you're not technically a donor.

Also, our Secretary of State's Office is in charge of our Driver's Services (DMV) facilities, and this is how I imagine they chose the URL:

"Why do we need a website anyway?"

"Sir, everyone has a computer these days. The Internet is the next big thing!"

"Whatever. Name it...let's see...it's on the computer, so...how about CYBER DRIVE ILLINOIS DOT COM"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now when I see a GEICO commercial the only thing I think is "yup, gently caress you" no matter how good the commercial is. Like I can't even laugh at the jokes anymore because I know what kind of pile of poo poo GEICO can be. Sorry you stupid loving lizard but no amount of marketing can make me switch back to you, ever.

It really kind of makes me wonder why some companies seem to think that if people hate them for whatever reason they just need to run a few cute commercials and tell everybody about how nice they are and all is good. GEICO saves some people money but also dicks some people over so hard they just never want to go back at all. Is there some executive somewhere that's thinking "screw some people as hard as we can then run a funny commercial, they'll come back?"

:ssh: you should go look at my Insurance thread in BFC. That is the norm for ALL insurance companies. For the company I work for you can't even get a policy in the standard platform if you have a lapse like that.

It sucks, but its an industry wide thing.

I still am entertained by the commercials for the insurance companies though. Doesn't mean I'll buy it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bunnielab posted:

Dude what did you expect to happen? Pretty much anything thst gets your license yanked for months is going to statistically make you a greater risk to insure.

I expected it to go up but I didn't expect it to literally quadruple. I called up other companies and managed to find one that let me back into Insurance Land for like $15 a month more than I was paying previously. I thought that the quadrupling was loving absurd in that other than that lapse and a speeding ticket a billion years ago my record is squeaky clean. I get that it's the norm for anything like that to bump your rates up as it puts you in a higher risk category but really, quadruple what I was paying before?

Let me put it this way; I was out looking for other quotes and the highest was slightly less than half of what GEICO wanted. It was loving obscene.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

So Coca-Cola had a twitter it ran where you would send it hateful messages add #makeithappy and it would make a "feel good image" out of the text. Sounds misguided but innocuous right? Welp, Gawker decided to test if it had any limits to what it would repost after seeing an image made out of the infamous 14 words and it turns out Cokes twitter will make pictures out of line by line tweets of Mein Kampf. It has, of course, since been pulled.

I don't get this story at all. The bot converted negative tweets into happy pictures. So what does it matter that people were tweeting excerpts of Mein Kampf?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get this story at all. The bot converted negative tweets into happy pictures. So what does it matter that people were tweeting excerpts of Mein Kampf?

The image was constructed out of the words in the negative tweet. So the twitter bot was churning out hundreds of images made out of the text "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children" and other similar white power speech repeated over and over and over again and since the bot was non-stop spamming it

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"Whatever. Name it...let's see...it's on the computer, so...how about CYBER DRIVE ILLINOIS DOT COM"

I love this website because it feels like a scam while dmv-Illinois.com and other more sensibly named websites have to have warnings that they are private and not affiliated with the state.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Everyone in Illinois is racing around on Tron bikes, that's the real reason for the murder rates in Chicago.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Barudak posted:

The image was constructed out of the words in the negative tweet. So the twitter bot was churning out hundreds of images made out of the text "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children" and other similar white power speech repeated over and over and over again and since the bot was non-stop spamming it

Maybe if they didn't want to repost a bunch of bad words they shouldn't have made a campaign that literally consists of "Give us a bunch of bad words and we'll repost them."

Sounds to me like the campaign was working exactly as intended, but they only realized after it started that the intent was a really stupid idea.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maybe if they didn't want to repost a bunch of bad words they shouldn't have made a campaign that literally consists of "Give us a bunch of bad words and we'll repost them."

Sounds to me like the campaign was working exactly as intended, but they only realized after it started that the intent was a really stupid idea.

Yeah, I read the Mein Kampf story and just thought 'surely that's the whole point of the campaign, it's making lovely words into pretty pictures, why does it matter if they're by Hitler?' then realised that the campaign was, as a result, a little misguided.

I mean, just about any 'tweet us with this hashtag to tell us what you think of us' type campaign by a big company like coke is pretty misguided anyway (cf the Starbucks tax british museum debacle), but this was a special kind of stupid.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Barudak posted:

I love this website because it feels like a scam while dmv-Illinois.com and other more sensibly named websites have to have warnings that they are private and not affiliated with the state.

I definitely double-checked that I hadn't mistyped the URL the first time I saw it.

I can't be too hard on them, though, because Secretary of State Jesse White ordered that website to be designed while he was on his crusade to "fix" the DMV. When he first took office years and years ago, he put on a superhero cape, said "Not in my state!" and set about changing the whole system.

Remember back in the 90s and 00s when the DMV was easy fodder for stand-up comedians and sitcom writers (hell, two of the grumpiest characters on The Simpsons worked at the DMV)? He wanted to change that. When you wanted to renew your license or registration, it used to mean you'd be stuck for half a day (or longer) breathing second-hand smoke in a tiny office staffed solely by two jaded veteran bartenders, surrounded by fifty other people, all of you staring at the LED "Now Serving" sign and hating life. It really was just like you saw on TV, and sometimes it was even worse than that.

When I went in for my last license renewal, I timed it. I stepped through the door at 1:00 P.M. on a Saturday (the busiest day, because everyone's off work) and was back in my car by 1:15. That includes the computerized written test I had to take and the time it took for them to take my photo and print my new ID.

I've had slower service at Taco Bell.

A majority of the facilities are new/newly-renovated, minimize paper use, and are actually staffed by (more than two) friendly human beings. The testing machines are state-of-the-art touchscreen affairs, and every piece of equipment is optimized for speed. Some facilities even have a drive-thru window. No joke. Take them a check for your registration renewal, they hand you a new sticker and your receipt, and you drive the gently caress away.

An important part was how it was marketed, however--it's not "the DMV" anymore. Now, it's the Driver's Services Facility. That's where you go for fast, friendly service. "The DMV" is something else.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I expected it to go up but I didn't expect it to literally quadruple. I called up other companies and managed to find one that let me back into Insurance Land for like $15 a month more than I was paying previously. I thought that the quadrupling was loving absurd in that other than that lapse and a speeding ticket a billion years ago my record is squeaky clean. I get that it's the norm for anything like that to bump your rates up as it puts you in a higher risk category but really, quadruple what I was paying before?

Let me put it this way; I was out looking for other quotes and the highest was slightly less than half of what GEICO wanted. It was loving obscene.

Geico's mascot is a cold blooded reptile for a reason.

Years back when I was an idiot teenager, my parents and I were on a single family plan. I got into a minor fender bender and, well, our rates went up. Oddly, the rates on both of my parents' newer, and thus more expensive cars were the ones to jump, while the rate on my worn out '93 Corolla stayed mysteriously the same. My folks called and were told "Oh, well, your son might drive your cars." Yeah, no. I might also suddenly grow to be seven miles high, strip naked and do the hula on the moon. That also doesn't exactly explain why in the poo poo the rate on my car didn't budge. We tried repeatedly to get them to admit they hosed up (intentionally or not) and they wouldn't, so :byewhore:

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
The new Subway ad for their grilled chicken addition to the menu annoys me and I realize its irrational. The spokeswoman is shown "approving" a chicken breast from a stereotypical looking chef. He was gesturing like he was explaining the subtle,nuanced flavors. Of a loving subway grilled chicken breast. I think I am reading way too into this but it just bugged me. Stop acting like the pre boiled chicken with fake grill marks is some culinary miracle.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Where's the Youtube video where a bunch of people are shilling the freshness and culinary excellence of Hot Pockets™?

Not this, but I found it looking for the video

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jaramin posted:

Where's the Youtube video where a bunch of people are shilling the freshness and culinary excellence of Hot Pockets™?

Not this, but I found it looking for the video

It's on their official youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zSgr37DOZQ

"The most important ingredient is passion."

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Feb 8, 2015

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

The new Subway ad for their grilled chicken addition to the menu annoys me and I realize its irrational. The spokeswoman is shown "approving" a chicken breast from a stereotypical looking chef. He was gesturing like he was explaining the subtle,nuanced flavors. Of a loving subway grilled chicken breast. I think I am reading way too into this but it just bugged me. Stop acting like the pre boiled chicken with fake grill marks is some culinary miracle.

Subway had grilled chicken the entire time I worked there, but they also have an obnoxious habit of pretending to have new sandwiches by just presenting a bunch of already existing ingredients in a commercial like it's a new thing. Sometimes they were cheaper than normal, sometimes not. Usually the difference had to do with something like a sauce. Here's a good example. Those are all ingredients you could order on a sandwich already. I don't understand Subway's deal with marketing preplanned sandwiches when their whole schtick is letting you choose all the ingredients as you go down the line, but it must work for them. I guess it's not really dumb, since not everyone wants to pick out every ingredient in their sandwich, but we were never trained on each new sandwich, so I'd have to try to figure out from the menu what people wanted when they asked for the new sandwich and it had specific ingredients. I guess it's more effective than just saying one of their sandwiches is on sale.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Subway had grilled chicken the entire time I worked there, but they also have an obnoxious habit of pretending to have new sandwiches by just presenting a bunch of already existing ingredients in a commercial like it's a new thing. Sometimes they were cheaper than normal, sometimes not. Usually the difference had to do with something like a sauce. Here's a good example. Those are all ingredients you could order on a sandwich already. I don't understand Subway's deal with marketing preplanned sandwiches when their whole schtick is letting you choose all the ingredients as you go down the line, but it must work for them. I guess it's not really dumb, since not everyone wants to pick out every ingredient in their sandwich, but we were never trained on each new sandwich, so I'd have to try to figure out from the menu what people wanted when they asked for the new sandwich and it had specific ingredients. I guess it's more effective than just saying one of their sandwiches is on sale.

One of the very bizarre things about humans is that if you give us too many options we'll just kind of stand there and stare. Like our brains just shut off and this includes sandwich options. Sell a base sandwich and then say "well you can just like add whatever" and people will highly likely prefer to order the precanned thing that already has a name ahead of time. It's just how our brains work, really. Your bog standard human would rather say "I want the club" than "I want a cold cut with x y and z, hold a, add extra c."

It's kind of a time thing as well. If people are in a rush they don't want to stand there deliberating on what to get. They just want to say "I'd like an X" and be on their way. It's why there are things like fast food menus where you just say a number. Generally you can pick and choose what you get with your stuff but generally people just want to say "#2, large" and leave it at that. This is especially true when you're buying cheap, quick stuff and let's be honest, Subway isn't a place you go if you want the best stuff in town. Subway is where you go when you don't have time to cook or just want a $5 sub.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"The most important ingredient is passion."

And salt.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the very bizarre things about humans is that if you give us too many options we'll just kind of stand there and stare. Like our brains just shut off and this includes sandwich options. Sell a base sandwich and then say "well you can just like add whatever" and people will highly likely prefer to order the precanned thing that already has a name ahead of time. It's just how our brains work, really. Your bog standard human would rather say "I want the club" than "I want a cold cut with x y and z, hold a, add extra c."

It's just not really something Subway is set up for, and those sandwiches still require the customer to order the veggies. To be fair, usually that wasn't how those sandwiches worked. Usually they didn't pick out a cheese for you, so most of the time it was really just selecting a weird sauce you maybe didn't think to use, and then marketing that as a new sandwich.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Congrats on seeing your first fast food ad I guess?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jaramin posted:

And salt.

Sometimes passion results in a salty flavor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I guess it's not really dumb, since not everyone wants to pick out every ingredient in their sandwich

This is the exact reason I never go to Subway. I'll walk past Subway and buy a sandwich from the coffee shop a block over, because there I just pick the pre-assembled sandwich that looks good from the display instead of having to think about which things I want.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jaramin posted:

And salt.

Both have a similar effect on the heart. Hot Pockets are made from the heart.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's kind of a time thing as well. If people are in a rush they don't want to stand there deliberating on what to get. They just want to say "I'd like an X" and be on their way. It's why there are things like fast food menus where you just say a number. Generally you can pick and choose what you get with your stuff but generally people just want to say "#2, large" and leave it at that. This is especially true when you're buying cheap, quick stuff and let's be honest, Subway isn't a place you go if you want the best stuff in town. Subway is where you go when you don't have time to cook or just want a $5 sub.

I think a lot of it is that consumers are trained that the per-packed one is CHEAPER or at least somehow better. For example if you go to a burger place and get the "Cheeseburger" you often pay a different price than if you got a "burger and added cheese". Same with adding bacon. You often pay MORE to have it "your way" than getting the package. Subway I know is guilty of this. If you get the chicken bacon sandwhich its one price, if you get a chicken sandwhich and "add meat: Bacon" to it, I am pretty sure you pay more.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I always thought it had to do with wanting a pre-designed sandwich. That sounds dumb to say about Subway, but if I'm going to an Italian restaurant I'm going to order an interesting ravioli off the menu, because I'm sure the chef has a lot of ideas of how to make coherent favors, and if I had to pick my own ravioli stuffing I'd just fill it with breakfast sausage and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

I think a lot of it is that consumers are trained that the per-packed one is CHEAPER or at least somehow better. For example if you go to a burger place and get the "Cheeseburger" you often pay a different price than if you got a "burger and added cheese". Same with adding bacon. You often pay MORE to have it "your way" than getting the package. Subway I know is guilty of this. If you get the chicken bacon sandwhich its one price, if you get a chicken sandwhich and "add meat: Bacon" to it, I am pretty sure you pay more.

Some places have been doing this weird thing where you can buy a base sandwich for dirt rear end cheap but then basically everything you would actually put on it up charges it. Sheetz has been doing this and acting like they cut the prices but really, your meatball with cheese sub stayed exactly the same; you just pay for a plain sub then pay for cheese now. Of course Sheetz made it easier to customize stuff with a touch screen but on the other hand they made it really easy to inadvertently create a $14 sub.

Granted my sub preference is "regular cold cut with a gently caress ton of onions" so I don't really pay attention to this stuff. I'm easy to please, just give me a lot of onions.