Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry to interrupt... but I made food!
Here in Halifax, it's snowy and cold and not BBQ weather, so we did oven ribs!

Made the BBQ sauce last night with a bunch of ancho chilis and charred jalapeno's, marinated the ribs over night, wrapped in foil at about 225 for 3.5 hours. After that I opened it up, layered on more sauce, put it back under unwrapped at 400 and repeated to build up a bit of a bark. The we've got some garlic mashed potatoes, and for those I poached a few cloves of garlic in about 1/4 cup of butter until soft, then mashed em up and threw it all in the potatoes and a bit of cream. I also tried making cornbread for the first time, and it turned out great; nice and soft, I like a more cake-y style cornbread than crumbly. Got some nice crust all around as I cooked them in a muffin tray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

guppy posted:

In my experience GWS is very interesting in making quality food, and is very helpful, to beginners or anyone else, if you have questions while trying to do that. They are less interested in helping you be Chef Boyardee. Personally I'm good with that. A lot of the people here are also industry or very serious hobbyists and the conversation tends to skew that way.

Agreed. The "elitism" or pride in good food/technique is what makes GWS good. We (excuse me for speaking for the group) love people looking to learn and are willing to help and/or learn in return however that doesn't mean that you can post a pic of kraft mac and cheese and get applause.

Also, quit it with the "sorry crappy phone pics" seriously, if it's so out of focus I can't tell what is the fork what is the point of posting the pic in the first place. 99% of phones today have decent enough cameras.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just did a variant of my usual lazy linguine-with-clams-and-cream-sauce, and added in some broccoli florets than I browned in a really hot pan with some olive oil. It helped cut the richness of the cream sauce down a bit and also added some nice green flavor and I liked it a lot. That is today's cooking story.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

brick cow posted:

Also, quit it with the "sorry crappy phone pics" seriously, if it's so out of focus I can't tell what is the fork what is the point of posting the pic in the first place. 99% of phones today have decent enough cameras.

When I say 'sorry crappy phone pics' I usually mean, sorry I'm too lazy to stage and break out a light box, which means my DSLR is going to stay in my closet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sweat poteto posted:

se: is a wrap a sandwich?

Yes! All foods (other than one distinct thing by itself, eg. an apple or a steak) fall into the following five categories:
  • Sandwich - Anything on or in any kind of bread (eg. pizza, burrito)
  • Pie - Anything on or in any kind of pastry (eg. pasty, tart)
  • Soup - Any liquid that could be served in a bowl (if it's always served in a glass or mug then it's a drink)
  • Stew - Any cooked up mixture of foods (eg. curry, spaghetti bolognese, stir fry)
  • Cake - Any mixture of foods that becomes a solid item (eg. omelette, slice)

Soup, stew and cake are basically differentiated by how liquidy they are and how much they hold together, so whether something like pasta bake or lasagne is a stew or cake might be a bit debatable, depending on how well they hold together, and a particularly liquidy stew might almost be a soup, but if you serve it on a plate instead of a bowl then it's definitely a stew. :eng101:

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Tonight's meal: Hot Burger!

It's a honey glazed hamburger topped with a slice of genoa salami, two skilleted hot dogs, and a slice of white American cheese.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Grilled cheese & San Marzano Tomato soup

Eggplant parmesan, zucchini cake w/ rosemary tomato sauce

Confit Byaldi...no picture of it on the plate because I was starving and just wanted to EAT but it did look very pretty on my plate.

I think confit byaldi is my favorite weekend meal now, it's not too much effort for something really delicious but gosh does it take a lot of time to cook!

And I'm gonna apologize for my awful pictures anyway because I only have a Kindle to take photos on because my phone is a piece of poo poo!! But I'm really proud of these meals anyway

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I love the idea of confit byaldi, but it's always come out undercooked for me so I stopped trying... How did you cook yours?

Red-braised chicken last night (and leftovers today)! Would've been better with pork, but I'm still watching my red meat intake.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Tiggum posted:

Yes! All foods (other than one distinct thing by itself, eg. an apple or a steak) fall into the following five categories:
  • Sandwich - Anything on or in any kind of bread (eg. pizza, burrito)
  • Pie - Anything on or in any kind of pastry (eg. pasty, tart)
  • Soup - Any liquid that could be served in a bowl (if it's always served in a glass or mug then it's a drink)
  • Stew - Any cooked up mixture of foods (eg. curry, spaghetti bolognese, stir fry)
  • Cake - Any mixture of foods that becomes a solid item (eg. omelette, slice)

Soup, stew and cake are basically differentiated by how liquidy they are and how much they hold together, so whether something like pasta bake or lasagne is a stew or cake might be a bit debatable, depending on how well they hold together, and a particularly liquidy stew might almost be a soup, but if you serve it on a plate instead of a bowl then it's definitely a stew. :eng101:

Where do chili cheese fries fall into this.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Axikal posted:

Tonight's meal: Hot Burger!

It's a honey glazed hamburger topped with a slice of genoa salami, two skilleted hot dogs, and a slice of white American cheese.
Ah, a Lonely Man XL meal.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

goodness posted:

I'd put them in the "stew" category.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

plasmoduck posted:

I love the idea of confit byaldi, but it's always come out undercooked for me so I stopped trying... How did you cook yours?

Red-braised chicken last night (and leftovers today)! Would've been better with pork, but I'm still watching my red meat intake.

275 for two hours covered, 30min uncovered is what I usually do. I had a total brain fart today while I was cooking it and did it for two hours uncovered, then left it in the oven at 400 for 15min while I cooked some bread. Turned out ok.

The recipe I follow says to put it under the broiler for a couple minutes, too, but I have no broiler-safe pans so I don't do that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

overdesigned posted:

I'd put them in the "stew" category.

Seems like it needs 1 more category.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

275 for two hours covered, 30min uncovered is what I usually do. I had a total brain fart today while I was cooking it and did it for two hours uncovered, then left it in the oven at 400 for 15min while I cooked some bread. Turned out ok.

The recipe I follow says to put it under the broiler for a couple minutes, too, but I have no broiler-safe pans so I don't do that.

Thanks for this! From what I remember I was probably too impatient, and I'll need to to cook it much longer, covered, with a lower temperature. I'll give it another try. :)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

beerinator posted:

Then I thought about this awesome "bread cheese" and things were good (yes, this is all cheese).

Guess what I just bought because of you. Did you just throw a slab onto the waffle iron, or did you grease it first? What did you have with it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

beerinator posted:

Then I thought about this awesome "bread cheese" and things were good (yes, this is all cheese).

Oh man, I love carr valley so much

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goodness posted:

I've never encountered them, but from Google image search it looks like maybe stew? Then again, some of those pictures look like it's more like fries with a sauce. So I guess if you pick up the fries with your fingers to eat them then it's uncategorised (individual object with sauce, like chips and gravy) but if you need a fork to eat it then it's a stew, just like it would be if the potato was just cooked in with the rest instead of being made into fries.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

kinmik posted:

Guess what I just bought because of you. Did you just throw a slab onto the waffle iron, or did you grease it first? What did you have with it?

I sliced off quarter inch slices and set them side by side on the waffle iron. So basically I just made sure everything was consistently a quarter inch thick or so and the heat turns the slices into a patty. No need to grease it.

When it's done, take the cheese waffle off and cut it into strips/pieces. Dip into marinara or pesto or just eat it by itself. Next party I throw, I'm going to put the waffle iron in the corner and just let people go nuts waffling cheese with different dips.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
I won a lil' award in my field, so we splurged and treated ourselves to some awesome steaks.

Filet mignon (rare), toasted baguette, garlic spinach, and buttermilk mashed potatoes.

Giant fuckoff grass fed sirloin (medium rare), toasted baguette, garlic spinach, and buttermilk mashed potatoes (naturally, he's at the keyboard). Not pictured: homemade chocolate chip cookie dough-vanilla ice cream.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I won a lil' award in my field, so we splurged and treated ourselves to some awesome steaks.

Filet mignon (rare), toasted baguette, garlic spinach, and buttermilk mashed potatoes.

gently caress yes. Nothing beats a good filet. Au poivre preferred but drat doesn't this look good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Axikal posted:

gently caress yes. Nothing beats a good filet.

A nice aged Prime Rib cooked rare-medium rare :smug:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

goodness posted:

You're getting all subjective on us now... :D

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

goodness posted:

I hope you don't mind me taking this moment to belatedly-post my dad's Christmas Eve dinner: medium-rare aged prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed green beans from our garden, homemade French onion soup, and amazing homemade horseradish sauce one of my dad's patients grew and made. I never liked prime rib until this night, as it was never anything but leather before. It's a beautiful thing.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

goodness posted:

Agreed.

Here's a 45 day ribeye steak cooked to 135f

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Praise be to GWS, for lo, pork roast was on manager's special and I did purchase it, and lo, I was afraid I might overcook the drat thing because it was very lean pork, and lo, my partner spoke his fears of bone-dry pork, but the wisdom of the ages came to me in the form of a burning subforum, and I did use my probe thermometer to cook the pork unto 135F internal temp, rested it for 15 minutes, and it was super tasty and juicy and delicious and I am totally making pork roast again.

(pictured topped with a chili verde type sauce and crispy kale, on a cutting board both to slice it up and to make it pretty for the instagrams)

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
Made my family's from scratch spaghetti sauce recipe this past Saturday which is a large 6 quart recipe that takes all day and gets better as it sits. Didn't get pictures of that and the giant mess it makes, but the next day we made focaccia bread pizza!

Pre-cheese

Post-cheese

Ready to eat!

The pepperoni comes from Claudio's in the Philadelphia Italian Market as my absolute favorite, the sausage is home made hot Italian, and of course the home made spaghetti sauce. The focaccia recipe is another given to me by my mom like the spaghetti sauce, though I don't think it's unique in any way like every family has its own from scratch spaghetti sauce recipe. Like the spaghetti sauce, the focaccia takes a lot of time because there's at least 3 rise cycles involved. The pizza reheats well and is really good cold, too - good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Agreed.

The searzall instructions say repeatedly not to use MAPP/propylene under any circumstances since it'll burn out the screen. Have you noticed any problems? I'd like to run it at the higher temp

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

The searzall instructions say repeatedly not to use MAPP/propylene under any circumstances since it'll burn out the screen. Have you noticed any problems? I'd like to run it at the higher temp

No problems yet, but I do intend to switch it out - this was just the cylinder i had on hand at home (i use it to start my pit for smoking)

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Woof! Woof! posted:

Agreed.

Gorgeous knife. Who's the maker? I picked up a Shigeharu when I was living in Kyoto and it cuts like nothing else.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wheez the roux posted:

I'm using MAPP with mine, and there has been notable droopage of the center of the screen. It doesn't seem to affect performance, and the droopage doesn't seem to be getting worse anymore, so...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm using MAPP with mine, and there has been notable droopage of the center of the screen. It doesn't seem to affect performance, and the droopage doesn't seem to be getting worse anymore, so...

Did you use other fuel as a comparison? I feel that this is likely heat warp that would happen with most screens.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Woof! Woof! posted:

Did you use other fuel as a comparison? I feel that this is likely heat warp that would happen with most screens.

Nope. I have not used it with anything other than MAPP.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I made fish for the first time ever today. Wanted trout, made the mistake of not going to Wegmans where I know they had excellent-looking trout, ended up with thicker cod fillets instead. Asked around for suggestions, referred to Bittman, made panko-crusted baked cod.

It was good; a little less flavorful than I'd like, maybe I should have used a more strongly-flavored herb than parsley in the coating. Squeezed the lemons over it and it helped a lot.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

drat, I'm liking all the pizza in this thread.

Breakfast pizza with spring onions, mushrooms, & potatoes:

Pork dumplings:

Sesame bagels:

Buns:

Smitten's key lime pie:

Herb focaccia before baking:

Cinnamon rolls with pearl sugar:

I swear I make and eat things that aren't bread most of the time....

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

guppy posted:

I made fish for the first time ever today. Wanted trout, made the mistake of not going to Wegmans where I know they had excellent-looking trout, ended up with thicker cod fillets instead. Asked around for suggestions, referred to Bittman, made panko-crusted baked cod.

It was good; a little less flavorful than I'd like, maybe I should have used a more strongly-flavored herb than parsley in the coating. Squeezed the lemons over it and it helped a lot.

That looks pretty nice. A bit of lemon thyme and some of the lemon zest would probably add a bit more umph to the coating if that's what you're after, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for just some well-crumbed cod and that would hit the spot.

Anything special done with the cucumber?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Olpainless posted:

That looks pretty nice. A bit of lemon thyme and some of the lemon zest would probably add a bit more umph to the coating if that's what you're after, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for just some well-crumbed cod and that would hit the spot.

Anything special done with the cucumber?

Ooh, that sounds good, I'll keep that in mind. And thanks.

That is actually zucchini, and no. I meant to add tarragon -- I've done that before and liked it -- but it's been a long couple weeks and I'm exhausted and forgot it, so it's just salt and pepper.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Forgot to post my nonsense

I have a friend who is really, really into spice. Well, all pain really, but I choose to not provide him with the "other" kinds.

So after looking for the hottest peppers I discovered Carolina Reapers. He's a new bachelor and has nothing much to do so I decided I was going to start creating devastatingly spicy dishes that I can't even make in the same room as my girlfriend for him.

The first dish is clearly simple: just some pickles. I made a batch using my recipe with a ton of red pepper flakes a while ago and he really liked them so I decided to experiment a bit

Left: Sichuan peppercorns, Thai bird chilis, ground Carolina Reaper pepper, coriander, sugar

Right: Sichuan peppercorns, Thai bird chilis, Vietnamese chili garlic sauce (Tương Ớt Tỏi), ground Carolina Reaper pepper

I took a quarter teaspoon sample of the brine on the left one and it felt like I was licking a 9v. The numbness from the peppercorns worked so drat well with the spice that had already permeated in 5 minutes of cooldown and it was just a tiny bit sweet and flowery.

(And of course they all have apple cider vinegar, salt, Kirby cucumbers)

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 10, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had a stir fry with pork loin, egg noodles, ginger, onion, paprika, peanuts, spring onions and lao gan ma chili crisp, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and shoaxing wine

it was really nice, but a lot less hot than expected (I have a brand new jar of the lao gan ma, so I was experimenting: next up is lao gan ma black bean chili sauce, which I have to fetch tomorrow)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

brick cow posted:

Agreed. The "elitism" or pride in good food/technique is what makes GWS good. We (excuse me for speaking for the group) love people looking to learn and are willing to help and/or learn in return however that doesn't mean that you can post a pic of kraft mac and cheese and get applause.

haha I remember why I just scroll through the pictures of this thread. Leave someone alone who is proud of what they accomplished, even if it is hamburger helper. Or for that matter threw something together unorthodox that to them tasted good. Unless you tried their recipe who cares if its noodles in a burrito.

"Elitism" turns people away from looking for help not encourages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Axikal posted:

-cries- But in seriousness, I'm seeing some awesome eats and recipes here. Kinda eager to learn new cooking ideas/techniques.

I made something that reminded me of you and thought you would want to try it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676982&pagenumber=24#post441413785

• Locked thread