Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Drink and Fight posted:

Oh my god I thought you were trolling.

subpar anachronism posted:

So did I... so now that I know you're not, I have to ask. Why shells AND bowties?

XD honestly I don't know why but I thought it'd be an interesting meal to say the least. I wanted two types because -shrugs- I have a weird tendency to sometimes just throw random poo poo together in the hopes I will enjoy it.

Other times I'll do things like

making a Bacon Explosion for 4th of July (feeds 9 people!)

Woof! Woof! posted:

I'm sorry I'm currently laughing at you :(

s'ok! ^=^ I'd laugh at me too if it hadn't been so delicious :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Woof! Woof! posted:

I'm sorry I'm currently laughing at you :(

I've put store-bought tortelloni in fajitas before. With cheese. I'm not proud of this.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Axikal posted:

making a Bacon Explosion for 4th of July

This is a thing people do, your other thing is dumb

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Woof! Woof! posted:

This is a thing people do, your other thing is dumb

Awwh -pats you on the head- It's adorable you think your way of cooking is the best and only.

So cute!

You also mis-spelled "delicious", but I forgive you.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Axikal posted:

Awwh -pats you on the head- It's adorable you think your way of cooking is the best and only.

So cute!

This is a very friendly thread and nobody minds if you post your popcorn chicken alfredo ranch pasta wraps or whatever, but everyone is probably going to hate you if you talk like this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I went ahead and made the "cheat" pizza with self-rising flour and no rise. Came out pretty well, though I'd like a crispier crust, and it doesn't quite have the full flavor of a traditional yeast-risen dough.

I'll have to play around with the cooking process -- the recipe calls for no cooking except 5 minutes under a broiler on high, which I assume is why the crust is still soft.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

The Midniter posted:

All your poo poo always looks so good, but shame on you for letting the yolk leak onto the (what looks to me like an Ikea) table! ;)
Haha! It's actually a weird, wooden placemat/tray thingy from Crate & Barrel. I assure you it was just for the photo appeal, and I promptly tore off a piece of bread and mopped it up.

Casu Marzu posted:

General Tso congee with do chua, angry lady, scallion

Double smashburg with double fried fries

Sole meunière with braised greens and rice pilaf

Drink and Fight posted:

Pan pizza with leftover beef panang, jack, angry lady, scallion

blixa posted:

It was a pizza kinda night.

All of this. I want it all laid out on a table before me where I can feast.

Axikal posted:

So cute!

Wow.

guppy posted:

I went ahead and made the "cheat" pizza with self-rising flour and no rise. Came out pretty well, though I'd like a crispier crust, and it doesn't quite have the full flavor of a traditional yeast-risen dough.

I'll have to play around with the cooking process -- the recipe calls for no cooking except 5 minutes under a broiler on high, which I assume is why the crust is still soft.
That looks yummy!
Actually, if you stretch the dough even thinner, you shouldn't have a problem with crisp crust.
I mean, I've never made a pizza crust with self-rising flour, but when I make a yeast dough, I preheat my oven to 500 with my pizza stone inside for 30min, then switch to broiler on high and only cook for 5 min. It's always super dee duper crisp. (And as I see that yours is on a sheet pan, and assuming you don't own a pizza stone, you could try preheating the sheet pan?)

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Tacier posted:

This is a very friendly thread and nobody minds if you post your popcorn chicken alfredo ranch pasta wraps or whatever, but everyone is probably going to hate you if you talk like this.

Ah yes, calling something I made "dumb" is totally friendly. It's really not that big a deal to be honest, so let's not derail over one person's dumbassed comment or my response. I don't mind a difference of opinion but seriously, let's keep it friendly and not get all lovely. It's food! The best thing on the planet.

Shark's meals make me feel jealous for being inferior at cooking.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

guppy posted:

That looks delicious anyway. Next time try Kenji's tortilla pizza, it's ridiculously good for the tiny amount of effort and time: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

Best lazy pizza ever

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks to both of you! I will try all of those things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Axikal posted:

Ah yes, calling something I made "dumb" is totally friendly. It's really not that big a deal to be honest, so let's not derail over one person's dumbassed comment or my response. I don't mind a difference of opinion but seriously, let's keep it friendly and not get all lovely. It's food! The best thing on the planet.

You're dumb.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

guppy posted:

Looks delicious. Was it hard to make?

Casu Marzu posted:

You're dumb.

-cries- But in seriousness, I'm seeing some awesome eats and recipes here. Kinda eager to learn new cooking ideas/techniques.

Axikal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 7, 2015

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

guppy posted:

Looks like it came out pretty well! I didn't roll mine out as much and had a much thicker style, which is probably why i was a little disappointed by the consistency: (excuse my disgusting rear end knife, I was cutting the chicken and veggies up to throw on the pizza and the ndecided to keep it out to cut the pizza when it got done, looks pretty awful!)

So this week I decided to try dry brining and spatchcocking a chicken. Best decision ever. And it turns out if you dry brine something for 3 days it's still pretty drat tasty, also my schedule/planning sometimes is pretty terrible! Forgot to snap a picture of it all together, but here's a leg!

Edit: Also not that it's any of my business at all, and the whole buffalo chicken wrap with two types of pasta, and rice, is pretty ridiculous, so is anyone actually giving a gently caress about what someone else is eating and posting about. Chillax bros, lets talk about good food and ignore what we don't want to eat.

That said, I want to eat just about everything that's been posted the past few pages, some of yall are amazing.

KettleWL fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 7, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I've been using my waffle iron for things.

First was leftover thanksgiving

Then I tried leftover enchiladas.

Next I moved on to sandwiches.

For the holidays, I waffled cinnamon rolls for my family.

Then I thought about this awesome "bread cheese" and things were good (yes, this is all cheese).

And for the Super Bowl, I even waffled a buffalo chicken wing.

For every picture you see here, I've done 3 or 4 other little waffle projects. Almost everything can be waffled.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

KettleWL posted:

So this week I decided to try dry brining and spatchcocking a chicken. Best decision ever. And it turns out if you dry brine something for 3 days it's still pretty drat tasty, also my schedule/planning sometimes is pretty terrible! Forgot to snap a picture of it all together, but here's a leg!

Dude, brining chicken makes awesome results! Glad it went well for you! My first brine was chicken breast a few months back and it turned out nice and juicy. I still suck at breading and getting a good crust on chicken. You did a whole chicken? drat.

quote:

Edit: Also not that it's any of my business at all, and the whole buffalo chicken wrap with two types of pasta, and rice, is pretty ridiculous, so is anyone actually giving a gently caress about what someone else is eating and posting about. Chillax bros, lets talk about good food and ignore what we don't want to eat.

Well it was appreciated even if you feel it wasn't your business. My food tastes and cooking can be a bit... weird at times since I like to randomly toss things together to see if they turn out good or not. Food should bring us together, not tear us apart. Glory to the fork.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

beerinator posted:

First was leftover thanksgiving

Then I tried leftover enchiladas.

Next I moved on to sandwiches.

For the holidays, I waffled cinnamon rolls for my family.

Then I thought about this awesome "bread cheese" and things were good (yes, this is all cheese).

And for the Super Bowl, I even waffled a buffalo chicken wing.

For every picture you see here, I've done 3 or 4 other little waffle projects. Almost everything can be waffled.

This is cool you are cool

though I'm not so sure about that chicken wing

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

though I'm not so sure about that chicken wing

It took 25 or so minutes to cook. It was a pretty good wing, but I can cook 20+ good wings in almost the same amount of time.

I just had to do it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

beerinator posted:

It took 25 or so minutes to cook. It was a pretty good wing, but I can cook 20+ good wings in almost the same amount of time.

I just had to do it.

THEY'VE GONE MAD WITH WAFFLE POWER

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
When your only tool is a waffle iron everything looks like a waffle

A delicious, amazing, waffle

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Wedge Regret
I made cheddar mashed potato waffles with fried chicken once.

Now I cant serve anything else when people come over otherwise they are very disappointed.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

blixa posted:

It was a pizza kinda night.

This is beautiful!
I love my overnight dough pizza but that tortilla method looks tempting.

beerinator posted:

I think I need a waffle iron in my life. WAFFLE EVERYTHING.

A while ago we made banh mi with lemongrass chicken again and it was nice. Everything's kinda drenched in sriracha in the photo, but there was a lot of other stuff in there (see 2nd photo)

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

plasmoduck posted:

This is beautiful!
I love my overnight dough pizza but that tortilla method looks tempting.

Thanks!

I love overnight pizza dough too, but this is actually dough made an hour before the oven, from Modernist Cuisine. Had to drive two cities over for the flour, but it was well worth it (and I bought enough flour for a few months).

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/neapolitan-pizza-dough/

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Casu Marzu posted:

You're dumb.

he is, but the general elitist attitude of this forum is also why i almost never post here so i see where he's coming from

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Axikal posted:

Looks delicious. Was it hard to make?

Thanks, and no, it is actually stupidly easy. Per pie:

1 1/2 mugs self-rising flour*†
1/2 mug tepid water (the same mug)
A bit of olive oil

* self-rising flour is AP flour with baking powder and salt added already, the proportion I used was 1 cup AP flour : 1/2 tsp salt : 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
† "mugs" are a stupid, inexact measure, but the only thing that really matters is that 3:1 ratio between the flour and the water

Because of the self-rising flour you don't have to rise it so it takes no time at all. Sauce can be homemade or bought (this was made, but very simple). This was broiled for 5 minutes, which is why the cheese is brown, but the crust was very soft; I'm going to play around with the suggestions I got above to help with that. It also doesn't have as much flavor since there's no yeast or rise. On the other hand, it doesn't take a few hours of advance planning.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Sole meunière with braised greens and rice pilaf

Oh baby, yes :fap:

beerinator posted:

I had never heard of this stuff before. Now I need to find a Finnish penpal. And maybe a waffle iron.

Freezer clearout/leftover time! Some remaining big ol' frozen shrimp, the scraps of some frozen green beans, the end of some cherry tomatoes, the last linguine in the tin, a green chilli that was threatening suicide. Add some garlic/olive oil/chilli flakes/seasoning and you actually get a fairly decent Chilli Prawn Linguine (who knew!).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

he is, but the general elitist attitude of this forum is also why i almost never post here so i see where he's coming from

This is such a weird comment I've seen for years. Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

I guess I'm the elitist if I don't see the elitism?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu posted:

This is such a weird comment I've seen for years. Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

There are in other subforums and it's not cool. It happens here sometimes sort of out of nowhere and is surprising because I've seen the same posters bringing the attitude being remarkably chill otherwise. I like this forum overall though a lot but Wheeze ain't totally wrong.

Dude's 'rolling with the punches' replies are dumb as hell though and he/she should :gb2gbs:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Like, theres a shitload of "elitist" attitudes in all the other subforums I read, but I feel like GWS is the only one that gets called out routinely.

I'd say CineD being called out for it (right or wrong) is FAR more prevalent.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Axikal posted:

It's adorable you think your way of cooking is the best and only.

No I think there's a lot of great ways of cooking - narrates physical action - and you're probably great at plenty of them.
Putting pasta into a wrap is dumb and gross. :emoji of an angry cat face:

Sorry, I also believed that your entire post was made up because of the novelty of things you put together
I apologize that your food / feelings are real.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 7, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

franco posted:

I had never heard of this stuff before. Now I need to find a Finnish penpal. And maybe a waffle iron.

The type of bread cheese I buy is from Wisconsin. I see it on Amazon here. Sort of expensive. I paid around ten bucks for one package.

Bread Cheese, Juustoleipa, 10 oz. (2 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E64Z7TA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_KKJ1ub10FAXND

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Woof! Woof! posted:

You're dead wrong, sonny. Then again I've only ever done it after coming in through the door after 50-odd miles on the bike, so at that point my palate is probably just a little less refined.

:3:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Casu Marzu posted:

As somebody who avidly lurks this forum, it seems like there's a much higher bar to posting quality content in them than the other forums. Anyone can play a video game but it takes real skill to learn how to cook something and for the average poster, it probably seems pretty elitist.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Love me a pasta sandwich

se: is a wrap a sandwich?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I'm pretty new to GWS and I ask a lot of questions, and no one's been elitist towards me. I think it has more to do with the general content of posts, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In my experience GWS is very interesting in making quality food, and is very helpful, to beginners or anyone else, if you have questions while trying to do that. They are less interested in helping you be Chef Boyardee. Personally I'm good with that. A lot of the people here are also industry or very serious hobbyists and the conversation tends to skew that way.

Axikal
Apr 13, 2014

Supreme Dragoncat

Cloks posted:

As somebody who avidly lurks this forum, it seems like there's a much higher bar to posting quality content in them than the other forums. Anyone can play a video game but it takes real skill to learn how to cook something and for the average poster, it probably seems pretty elitist.

Well there is a difference between critiquing one's cooking skill and just whinging about whatever they made. But in any case. I'm learning to make pizza from scratch and luckily some of the goons here know how!

Woof! Woof! posted:

No I think there's a lot of great ways of cooking - narrates physical action - and you're probably great at plenty of them.

To be fair, I'm barely good at skilleting things. But since I do know how I tend to use that often when I make anything.
And I totally disagree! Pasta goes well with chicken and lettuce! Then you wrap it all up in a blanket of soft tortilla and nom. I am curious why you hate the idea of pasta in a wrap though :crazy anime cat face:

quote:

Sorry, I also believed that your entire post was made up because of the novelty of things you put together
I apologize that your food / feelings are real.

wheez the roux posted:

the general elitist attitude of this forum is also why i almost never post here so i see where he's coming from
--

guppy posted:

Thanks, and no, it is actually stupidly easy. Per pie:

:recipe:

Thanks! I'm going to try this out. Will post the results :D

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sorry about the extremely lovely camera photo. I made a sous vide burger I hosed up somewhere and also made chips for the first time they were a lot more golden than they appear in the photo and also baked any kind of bread for the first time for the bun

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 7, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Axikal posted:

Well there is a difference between critiquing one's cooking skill and just whinging about whatever they made. But in any case. I'm learning to make pizza from scratch and luckily some of the goons here know how!

To be fair, I'm barely good at skilleting things. But since I do know how I tend to use that often when I make anything.
And I totally disagree! Pasta goes well with chicken and lettuce! Then you wrap it all up in a blanket of soft tortilla and nom. I am curious why you hate the idea of pasta in a wrap though :crazy anime cat face:

--

Thanks! I'm going to try this out. Will post the results :D

Dude you put pasta in a wrap with alfredo AND ranch AND rice and it's no surprise people are wondering what is wrong with you. Also stop loving posting like that jesus christ this forum used to have standards.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Also stop loving posting like that jesus christ this forum used to have standards.

If mindphlux used to get probated for not using the shift key before he won the challenge, this person should get probated so hard for posting like an anime dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

guppy posted:

They are less interested in helping you be Chef Boyardee.

drat dude you made me wake up my sick gf with laughter.

• Locked thread