Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I did a simple retrograde sat contract, and on the way back to the launch pad one of my engines exploded and my craft started wigging out. I hit the screenshot key a few times and caught the debris of a second engine exploding.

Weird. I have a satellite in LKO that suffers from demonic possession too. I don't have kOS, so really no common ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bentai posted:

Tramp stamp of Jeb riding a rocket from the "launch pad"

Alternatively, tattoo of Jeb riding a "rocket" from the launch pad.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Weird. I have a satellite in LKO that suffers from demonic possession too. I don't have kOS, so really no common ground.

Another rocket got snagged on the edge of space while leaving Kerbin's atmosphere resulting primarily in unwanted angular momentum.

Is your satellite* in space space and doing it?

Edit: *missed a word

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 7, 2015

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Another rocket got snagged on the edge of space while leaving Kerbin's atmosphere resulting primarily in unwanted angular momentum.

Is your in space space and doing it?

Has anyone ever gone so far as to rocket what look like?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm not getting any text in Kerbal Engineer, but I do see the buttons and text areas. Any ideas? I'm running x84 Linux so maybe the font it uses is missing?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

No no, for full sperg offense it needs to be a stylized Kerbelle riding a "rocket" from the launch pad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

You can get googly-eye studs.

Just sayin'.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

Taylor Swift MK1 is away

Yes.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Mukaikubo posted:

Spend 10-15 minutes making an intricate multi-satellite carrying rocket so you can set up a Minmus comms network in a single launch? Great! Everything looks beautiful! And then I hit save and KSP crashes, and I restart and not only is that rocket not saved, but none of the other rockets I've built this career exist anymore to load. I hit load and nothing happens. Great. That's wonderful. Sigh. I can't even say it's mods, because my install just spazzes the gently caress out sometimes even on stock. It's really getting me down, but there's no solution.

Dear Maxmaps,
Can we have built-in "Keep X autosaves/quicksaves" ? I think we've all had the catastrophic, unrecoverable, game-breaking something or other happen and it's just the worst. You have a proper UI for save loading now too so I can't imagine this would be too expensive a feature at this point? Eh? EH?

<3

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ratzap posted:

No no, for full sperg offense it needs to be a stylized Kerbelle riding a "rocket" from the launch pad.

And throw away your chance to give him an authentic widow's peak?

Some of us would kill for that excuse.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Dear Maxmaps,
Can we have built-in "Keep X autosaves/quicksaves" ? I think we've all had the catastrophic, unrecoverable, game-breaking something or other happen and it's just the worst. You have a proper UI for save loading now too so I can't imagine this would be too expensive a feature at this point? Eh? EH?

<3

I'll bring it up!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Maxmaps posted:

I'll bring it up!

As an example: KAC does auto backups of persistent and quicksave when you do things via it.

Something I noticed tonight which might be a bug or could come under 'caution required' - the game simply stops working if you remove a mod which contains an agent that has a contract offer open. What seems to happen is there's no exception catching in the contract code when the save file loads so it just dies when it can't find the agent (which was just deleted). What it should do is catch the exception, discard the now useless contract offer and make a fresh one for the slot.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Mr. Wynand posted:

Dear Maxmaps,

<3
Alt + F5 will let you create custom saves. I'm pretty sure Alt + F9 lets you load them.

Though automatic management of the last 5 quicksaves would be nice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

Dear Maxmaps,

<3
Until then, you can use S.A.V.E: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105399

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
While we're on the subject of saving, it'd be nice if the list of saves had more metadata, especially what time the save was made. Maybe the number of active flights or in-game time would help too. I remember getting confused about saves since they were listed alphabetically instead of chronologicallly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

While we're on the subject of saving, it'd be nice if the list of saves had more metadata, especially what time the save was made. Maybe the number of active flights or in-game time would help too. I remember getting confused about saves since they were listed alphabetically instead of chronologicallly.

Chronological savegame order option pleeeeease!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Personally, I've been keeping my Saves, Screenshots, and Ships folders in my Dropbox for some time, and that gives me access to the last 30 days' worth of revisions on any of those files. I have Symlinks in the KSP folder that point to there.

And since I keep all that in my Public folder (And have a Dropbox old enough to allow direct linking), I've also kind of been experimenting with parsing the information out of the persistence file using Google Sheets and Google Apps Scripts.

This has been the result: http://tinyurl.com/ksp-save-doc
Not that impressive really, but it gets updated every six hours, or whenever I feel like triggering the script.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm sure I've missed this somewhere in the last 30-40 pages, but what's the current thinking on the best way to get MechJeb to play nice with FAR? I'd really like to be able to use the Ascent Guidance module to handle the dozens of routine launches I have planned.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Regarding saves, you know what might be good? If each savegame had a unique generated ID, and also stored the UID of the previous savegame it was "based on".

That would, if you never delete saves, allow you to reconstruct a tree of alternate timelines if you're a savescumming bastard.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

ZekeNY posted:

I'm sure I've missed this somewhere in the last 30-40 pages, but what's the current thinking on the best way to get MechJeb to play nice with FAR? I'd really like to be able to use the Ascent Guidance module to handle the dozens of routine launches I have planned.

MechJebFARExt? It's not perfect, but with AOA limiter and a good curve it should give you repeatable ascents (you'll want to edit the ascent curve to much start earlier than default).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nielsm posted:

Regarding saves, you know what might be good? If each savegame had a unique generated ID, and also stored the UID of the previous savegame it was "based on".

That would, if you never delete saves, allow you to reconstruct a tree of alternate timelines if you're a savescumming bastard.
I would now like this implemented for every game I own.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ragzilla posted:

MechJebFARExt? It's not perfect, but with AOA limiter and a good curve it should give you repeatable ascents (you'll want to edit the ascent curve to much start earlier than default).

Thanks, looks like that pretty much did it!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rohaq posted:

Alt + F5 will let you create custom saves. I'm pretty sure Alt + F9 lets you load them.

Though automatic management of the last 5 quicksaves would be nice.

Sweet Jesus.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So! Time to see if how badly I hosed Up Coach again:

As before, I decided the easiest way to set up my medium kerbin orbit remotetech comm relay system would be a set of 4 satellites, 90 degrees apart to give wiggle room and a long time before small period differences caused outages, and a 90 minute orbit (775 km or so) just like in the remotetech tutorial. I decided, instead of all that hooey about 'timing your launches' and 'doing one satellite at a time', I'd send up a single manned launch with four identical commsats on board at the same time, put the entire craft in the correct period orbit, and kick off satellites one after another. That way, I could burn individual satellites until they had a period of (90 minutes * 5/4) = 112.5 minutes, another at 135, and another at 157.5; that way when they came back to the right altitude they'd naturally be 1/4 orbit apart. So I built that, and uh.... I think I did it wrong.

...I can't undock any of these. :jebstare: What did I miss?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mukaikubo posted:

...I can't undock any of these. :jebstare: What did I miss?
As far as I can tell, you have

[Payload] [[Docking Port][Launcher]]

You're not using the docking ports as docking ports, all they're doing is creating additional attachment points. What you need is

[[Payload][Docking Port]] [[Docking Port][Launcher]]

So the Payload docking port is attached to a Launcher docking port, allowing you to decouple the two docking ports from each other.

e: actually I didn't even know you could do what you did. It's giving me ideas.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

As far as I can tell, you have

[Payload] [[Docking Port][Launcher]]

You're basically using docking ports as attachment points. What you need is

[[Payload][Docking Port]] [[Docking Port][Launcher]]

So the payload docking port is attached to the Launcher docking port, allowing you to decouple the two docking ports from each other.

No, there are two separate docking ports; in the second image you can see two yellow and black striped rings, one on each port...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mukaikubo posted:

No, there are two separate docking ports; in the second image you can see two yellow and black striped rings, one on each port...
Ah, in that case your Payload-side docking ports are backwards.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Ah, in that case your Payload-side docking ports are backwards.

well, that'll teach me to trust the way the vehicle assembly building automatically snaps the docking ports, I guess. :sigh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, the satellite-side docking port is wrong-way out. VERY common mistake, so don't feel bad.

You now just have one hell of a comm sat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Docking ports don't actually need another docking port connected if you're only going to undock something once. I've never tried it with radial mounting, but in a stack you can definitely have something like [fuel tank]:[docking port]:[satellite] and just use the docking port as a force-less decoupler.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mukaikubo posted:

well, that'll teach me to trust the way the vehicle assembly building automatically snaps the docking ports, I guess. :sigh:
Here is a picture:
http://i.imgur.com/faCVcbU.png

As an aside, it's a bit tricky using side-mounted ports on payloads. While you can stick the non-port side of a docking port wherever you like, the non-port side of an already linked docking port will only accept attachment points. I can't think of a better way to phrase that, you'll see what I mean when you try.

AFAIK the "easiest" way to have side-mounted ports on your payload is:
1) Build your payload as a separate item, with docking port attached to the side.

2) Use the "root" button to set the docking port as root.

3) Then open the "advanced" tab and save it as a sub-assembly.

4) Build your launcher, open sub-assemblies again, attach your payload.

On reflection bright green was not the best text choice but ehhh.

e:

Collateral Damage posted:

Docking ports don't actually need another docking port connected if you're only going to undock something once. I've never tried it with radial mounting, but in a stack you can definitely have something like [fuel tank]:[docking port]:[satellite] and just use the docking port as a force-less decoupler.
Yeah or that.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 8, 2015

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

Here is a picture:
http://i.imgur.com/faCVcbU.png

As an aside, I think I see what you're trying to do, and it'll be a bit tricky due to how attachments work. While you can stick the non-port side of a docking port wherever you like, the non-port side of an already linked docking port will only accept attachment points.

I can't think of a better way to phrase that, you'll see what I mean when you try.

AFAIK what you'll have to do is:

1) Build your payload as a separate item, with docking port attached to the side.

2) Use the "root" button to set the docking port as root.

3) Then open the "advanced" tab and save it as a sub-assembly.

4) Build your launcher, open sub-assemblies again, attach your payload.

On reflection bright green was not the best text choice but ehhh.

I had tried doing it as subassemblies before- even with a fancy fairing! But I couldn't get it to stick onto, well, anything correctly so I gave up and manually built all four commsats identically with symmetry, patience, and KSP freaking out and crashing 2 or 3 times mid-build. The root button will probably fix that, so thanks and let's see if that works...

I really, really liked the 'one manned launch, time sub-satellite burns to ensure even coverage' architecture compared to how finicky four separate unmanned launches would be, with having to muck with the flight computer, doing a steep ascent to be sure I didn't lose LOS before I could circularize, et cetera et cetera. This way's also fairly cheap, since I'm running career mode, compared to 4 distinct launches. I just keep on running into issues doing in the program what I want to do.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mukaikubo posted:

I had tried doing it as subassemblies before- even with a fancy fairing! But I couldn't get it to stick onto, well, anything correctly so I gave up and manually built all four commsats identically with symmetry, patience, and KSP freaking out and crashing 2 or 3 times mid-build. The root button will probably fix that, so let's see...
Sub-assemblies will only attach at the root node, because of how the item tree works. But, as per step three, we now have a handy dandy button to re-set your root node after you've lovingly crafted whatever it is you're building.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just made a quick test and it seems the "docking port as decoupler" only works in stacks, not radially.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Well, I decided, I put all that expensive-ish comms hardware UP there, I may as well bring it back down, right?

I'm sure FAR and Deadly Reentry will be understanding of my plan to burn lots of propellant in the upper atmosphere so I only hit thick air around 1 km/s instead of 2 km/s.

That actually went better than I expected.

HOW DID I GET AWAY WITH THIS :jebstare:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, I decided, I put all that expensive-ish comms hardware UP there, I may as well bring it back down, right?

I'm sure FAR and Deadly Reentry will be understanding of my plan to burn lots of propellant in the upper atmosphere so I only hit thick air around 1 km/s instead of 2 km/s.

That actually went better than I expected.

HOW DID I GET AWAY WITH THIS :jebstare:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to land on a body with a thick atmosphere.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Well, um. I decided to try it out, and:

This isn't working for some reason. I can decouple the node, but it just stays right where it is and doesn't move, even if I try to shake if off with motor firing.

edit: Sonofa... when I make the docking port root, it's trying to snap everything to the attachment node that already attached to the satellite instead of the attachment node hanging out in free space. I had to do a lot of rotation to make it *look* like it was lining up like above, but it really wasn't. Ugh.

edit2: WHY WON'T YOU LET ME ATTACH TO THE NODE THAT'S JUST HANGING OUT DOING NOTHING, KSP :(

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 8, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, um. I decided to try it out, and:

This isn't working for some reason. I can decouple the node, but it just stays right where it is and doesn't move, even if I try to shake if off with motor firing.

edit: Sonofa... when I make the docking port root, it's trying to snap everything to the attachment node that already attached to the satellite instead of the attachment node hanging out in free space. I had to do a lot of rotation to make it *look* like it was lining up like above, but it really wasn't. Ugh.

edit2: WHY WON'T YOU LET ME ATTACH TO THE NODE THAT'S JUST HANGING OUT DOING NOTHING, KSP :(

Radial docking is a bitch. Why don't you keep the docking port on the satellite, but "dock" it to the host via a decoupler--making sure the arrow points to the satellite (that is, the decoupler stays attached to the main ship)?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Sometimes - when I decouple a docking node, the parts do not separate. If I reload back to Space Center and look in the guidance/tracking/whatever-it-is building and reselect that vehicle, the docking ports are suddenly disconnected and floating away from each other.

Hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did KSP remove radial decouplers in 0.90 or something? Why would you use docking ports as decouplers unless you have some sort of nutso deep space manned mission with multiple landers?