Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marxalot posted:

They're supposed to be pretty good bikes, but he was saying he's considering sportbikes/sport touring bikes and mentioned the FZ6r right alongside a list of things that make twice the power that it does.
The FZ6r is a pretty chill (64bhp & 38ft/lbs torque), fully faired, and cheap bike that seems to fit the "beginner sportbike" thing fairly well. I honestly don't know that much about them.
The plain FZ6 is basically a detuned R6 (97bhp & 46ft/lbs) with an upright seating position and basically goes forever without breaking. Which is basically why I bought one. It's comfortable, easy, tame on the highway, and easy to sit on literally all day while you ride halfway across Texas listening to spotify or something. My only real complaint is that the clutch has a friction zone measured in micros.

Comedy video of a chode who can't launch his FZ6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1dcaKTJ8_8

e: Max speed videos are a dumb way to compare bikes, but I threw them in to show the difference between how much power they make. It's alot larger than the comparison between the R6 and the FZ6.

e2: Comedy FZ1 with a turbo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEB34tVvBc

That fz6 video seemed fast then I remembered that I shift at like 12k and the thing has at least a 10% error. That long rear end struggle to get 150 was really 135.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Right, I didn't consider these things. If I asked my insurance agent to check further into it for me, I'm sure she'd come through the phone and tear my head off (I've asked her for like 40 quotes in the past month).

This is the (one of the) worst thing about the North American insurance industry. God I miss confused.com / go compare / those annoying Russian meerkats, etc. Just fill in the online form with your details, get all the quotes you can stomach from every insurance company, pick the one you want, online checkout, done. Insured.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I saw a nice SV650 for sale (faired, ABS) with only 1100 miles in Loveland, CO and after looking around in Google Earth I think that where I buy my next bike may well play an important part as well. If I can find a nice Tuono 1000R Factory (or a V4) in Steamboat Springs, baby, I've got a stew going.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I saw a nice SV650 for sale (faired, ABS) with only 1100 miles in Loveland, CO and after looking around in Google Earth I think that where I buy my next bike may well play an important part as well. If I can find a nice Tuono 1000R Factory (or a V4) in Steamboat Springs, baby, I've got a stew going.
searchtempest is your friend and enemy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fifty Three posted:

Fffuuuuuck

I didn't know that was a thing. :sigh:

Edit: nor did I need to.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fifty Three posted:

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/mcy/4856178866.html

Great, thanks. :mad:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

mother of god. what have you done.

e: so many tw200s and drz125s beckoning, everywhere around me :qq:

M42 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 5, 2015

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Just removed a bunch of good bikes from the market, apparently. :suicide:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Should I buy a sv650 or a klr650? Riding in NYC mostly, but if I had the klr I like to think I'd ride it in dirt too sometimes and given the state of our roads, "city" driving is a generous term.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Should I buy a sv650 or a klr650? Riding in NYC mostly, but if I had the klr I like to think I'd ride it in dirt too sometimes and given the state of our roads, "city" driving is a generous term.

Honestly sounds like you need a v-strom. Does what an SV and a KLR do but in one bike.

If you absolutely have to get one or the other get the SV, the KLR is dirt capable but the crippling deficiencies in every other area make it a no-brainer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Honestly sounds like you need a v-strom. Does what an SV and a KLR do but in one bike.

If you absolutely have to get one or the other get the SV, the KLR is dirt capable but the crippling deficiencies in every other area make it a no-brainer.

So here was my thinking, all per super important Internet research and talking to folks:
klr is indestructible and good off-road. Seems like the big criticism of it is that it desperately needs 6th gear but other folks say it gets to 80 just fine. The other problem for some folks is that it's too tall. What are the other deficiencies?

SV seems to be pretty universally beloved but doesn't go off-road at all and frankly the off-road capability/suspension really is, I think, a positive on the roads of MogadishuNew York City which is what made me leery of just getting the SV.

The other thing both have going are price/availability. There are like three v-stroms within 120 miles vs 10 of each of the others and I think I can get a SV or a klr for $2500-3000 vs 5-6k for a v-strom. Budget is more like 4k so I could probably be patient and get a v-strom but it's not a certainty.

So, basically I don't have to get one or the other and I appreciate that I didn't exactly give a ton of information when asking the question. I don't want to be that guy who's all "how do I get out of this well? I should keep digging? Ok, I'll keep digging!" So if the best answer really is save/wait a bit then that's ok, just wanted to provide the information I should have when asking the question initially.

Edit: searches for
Klr http://www.searchtempest.com/search...Ask=&subcat=mcy
SV http://www.searchtempest.com/search...Ask=&subcat=mcy
V-strom http://www.searchtempest.com/search...Ask=&subcat=mcy

builds character fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 8, 2015

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
NYC pavement is crap and I would personally rather have a klr to navigate the city if I lived there and had no plans to go on the highway. On the other hand, the SV would be way more fun on onramps. Overall winner: SV.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

builds character posted:

SV seems to be pretty universally beloved but doesn't go off-road at all and frankly the off-road capability/suspension really is, I think, a positive on the roads of MogadishuNew York City which is what made me leery of just getting the SV.

um, excuse me, this guy would like to have a word :colbert:

but anyway, get a drz. Which borough? I can come help check some out next time I'm up there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

So here was my thinking, all per super important Internet research and talking to folks:
klr is indestructible and good off-road. Seems like the big criticism of it is that it desperately needs 6th gear but other folks say it gets to 80 just fine. The other problem for some folks is that it's too tall. What are the other deficiencies?

The other thing both have going are price/availability. There are like three v-stroms within 120 miles vs 10 of each of the others and I think I can get a SV or a klr for $2500-3000 vs 5-6k for a v-strom. Budget is more like 4k so I could probably be patient and get a v-strom but it's not a certainty.

So, basically I don't have to get one or the other and I appreciate that I didn't exactly give a ton of information when asking the question. I don't want to be that guy who's all "how do I get out of this well? I should keep digging? Ok, I'll keep digging!" So if the best answer really is save/wait a bit then that's ok, just wanted to provide the information I should have when asking the question initially.

KLR's are heavy, slow, boring and desperately agricultural. I'd also say that regardless of how crap the roads may or may not be, it's better to get a bike that's good to learn on. Your first bike isn't your last bike and I'd tend toward something reasonably light and easy to ride. Once you've ridden for a bit you can decide if boring and terrible is the way you want to go.

Like M42 said, get a DRZ. Does what a KLR does without being lovely, good bike to learn on, good compromise. Or just hold out and get a strom.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

builds character posted:

I'm sure it's probably just a case of the dude being a batshit MX rider or something, but someone linked a video here of a dude on an SV offroading with a few motards and even jumping it a few times.

IIRC he racked himself pretty badly though, so there's that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

but anyway, get a drz. Which borough? I can come help check some out next time I'm up there.

Where did you get those pictures of me?

DRZ sounds good but seems like the trade-off is a slightly smaller gas tank, need to get an aftermarket seat and not as good at highway speeds. It also has the disadvantage of me not having driven one before but I suppose that's easily remedied.

Queens.

Slavvy posted:

KLR's are heavy, slow, boring and desperately agricultural. I'd also say that regardless of how crap the roads may or may not be, it's better to get a bike that's good to learn on. Your first bike isn't your last bike and I'd tend toward something reasonably light and easy to ride. Once you've ridden for a bit you can decide if boring and terrible is the way you want to go.

Like M42 said, get a DRZ. Does what a KLR does without being lovely, good bike to learn on, good compromise. Or just hold out and get a strom.

KLR 4 lyfe.

It'll be my second bike, but the first was a 1980 yamaha xs400 so I don't know how much it taught me about what I was really looking for. I certainly still have a great deal of learning to do though! And boring and terrible will always be the way I want to go. It's no good denying who you are. :colbert:

So, what do folks think of these? http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4851332702.html and http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/4876368758.html (why no pictures? sheesh) and http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/4876420741.html (pictures but little other information and they're tiny)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

That's Dan Sewell - AFM fast dude, and generally awesome guy.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is being a versys homer and throwing that name into the ring out of the question, I mean you would have to get off-road tires to do that, but riding mine around LA is fun as poo poo. I did the same with a friends v-strom and did not have as much fun.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gillingham posted:

Is being a versys homer and throwing that name into the ring out of the question, I mean you would have to get off-road tires to do that, but riding mine around LA is fun as poo poo. I did the same with a friends v-strom and did not have as much fun.

Not at all, but the versys suffers from the same problems as the v-strom. It's ~twice as expensive and there aren't that many for sale. Why did you like the versys more than the v-strom?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

builds character posted:

Not at all, but the versys suffers from the same problems as the v-strom. It's ~twice as expensive and there aren't that many for sale. Why did you like the versys more than the v-strom?
I think the body size itself, the strom was just harder to move around, didn't really corner as well. It feels like a much bigger bike despite riding the 650 version of both. At the same time if you're doing a lot of off-roading I would probably say get the strom, but for around town or twisties the versys wins.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seems like a lot of miles and it's clearly been ridden in the dirt but the other options are all '02/'03s for the same price.

edit: for example,

builds character fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 9, 2015

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

builds character posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seems like a lot of miles and it's clearly been ridden in the dirt but the other options are all '02/'03s for the same price.

edit: for example,

There isn't much difference between years which is why prices tend to stay pretty comparable over the range. My DRZ has way more than 10k miles and it's fine, that isnt really a major concern for these motors. I would just pick the one that has the best mainteance/owner history. The FCR carb on the second one is really supposed to wake up the DRZ.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

builds character posted:

KLRs are "good" off road, compared to other too-heavy-to-be-good-offroad sort of offroad bikes. Getting to 80mph is different than enjoyable riding at 80mph. And it being tall is hardly a deficiency.

Just for shits and giggles, look at a Honda CRF250L. They're actually kind of decent on and off road and BRAND NEW ones are $5000. Here's a '13 inside your budget, close to the city http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4864784110.html

On the other hand, I suspect what you mean by "off road" isn't so much

as it is

In which case, I wouldn't worry about it. An SV will be fine. Just don't hit a pot hole big enough to eat your bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
This seems like a pretty good deal on a sport touring bike:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/4879486380.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal on a sport touring bike:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/4879486380.html

Someone once told me these have an engine based on/derived from/co-developed with some big bore Japanese touring bike. Don't know how true that is?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

builds character posted:

Why did you like the versys more than the v-strom?

WAY better suspension plus 17's on both ends.

Engine's lamer than the Strom's V-twin, but not substantially lamer.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I really want an R6. Is there a good reason I shouldn't get one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Previous owners.

Otherwise they're a foine, foine boike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Thanks to everyone in this thread. I ended up going with the drz. I'll edit this post with a picture after I go take onethe light is just perfect and the professional photographer I hired to appropriately capture my new babby in a natural setting finally shows up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zahi posted:

One of the more uncomfortable bikes you can find.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

One of the more uncomfortable bikes you can find.

Someone just bought a DRZ on this page, man, have some tact.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Someone just bought a DRZ on this page, man, have some tact.

People just think it's uncomfortable because the ergonomics are designed for wheelies. It feels great when your front wheel is up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

People just think it's uncomfortable because the ergonomics are designed for wheelies. It feels great when your front wheel is up.

I spent all Friday riding a Triumph Tiger. When I got back on my DRZ yesterday I had to get off and make sure I wasn't sitting on the plastics somehow. That seat is some kind of non-euchlidean torture device.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Zahi posted:

Only douchebags buy r6's

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

builds character posted:

Except the rear brake lever is way too loving high to cover comfortably while still having your foot on the peg.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Only douchebags buy r6's

Odd way to spell "~Gixxer~"

tjones
May 13, 2005

Marxalot posted:

Except the rear brake lever is way too loving high to cover comfortably while still having your foot on the peg.

The lever can be easily adjusted in a few minutes, just remember to adjust your brake light sensor so it isn't "on" all the time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

tjones posted:

The lever can be easily adjusted in a few minutes, just remember to adjust your brake light sensor so it isn't "on" all the time.

The only thing I've managed to do is move the zone that it engages at down so it can be covered without dragging it.

The only other thing I think I can do with it is take a couple things apart and go at the adjustment bolt with a dremel. I'd post a pic but it's 9pm here.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The 690 duke has the insanely high brake lever thing too, you need to turn the footpeg bracket upside down or something to correct it :S

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

High Protein posted:

The 690 duke has the insanely high brake lever thing too, you need to turn the footpeg bracket upside down or something to correct it :S

I tested a duke last year, and the clutch lever was so high I had to flex my foot upwards and then lift my whole leg to upshift. I guess I have longer legs than they're designing their bikes for? At 5'10" I'm not some freakshow either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

epalm posted:

I tested a duke last year, and the clutch lever was so high I had to flex my foot upwards and then lift my whole leg to upshift. I guess I have longer legs than they're designing their bikes for? At 5'10" I'm not some freakshow either...

I adjusted the shift lever down a bit on mine, but the rear brake lever is fine from the factory with boots on.