Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I am kinda addicted to civilization building board games now. I've been playing them non-stop in the past few weeks/months: Through the Ages, Patchistory, Clash of Cultures and Sid Meier's Civilization being the most recent. Anything else I'm missing that I'll probably like if I enjoy all of the above-mentioned games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

jivjov posted:

Are those games really that bad? I was just asking about BBTM in here, and got reviews that were not overwhelming positive but trended toward "Well, the theme is alright" and "i had fun with it".

What's so bad about Elder Sign? I was under the impression it was Arkham/Eldritch horror scaled down and with a push-your-luck, symbol-matching dice mechanic?

Do yourself a favor and get the android/iOS version of Elder Sign if you're set on it. It's a mediocre game in board game form, but a great time waster on your phone.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I am kinda addicted to civilization building board games now. I've been playing them non-stop in the past few weeks/months: Through the Ages, Patchistory, Clash of Cultures and Sid Meier's Civilization being the most recent. Anything else I'm missing that I'll probably like if I enjoy all of the above-mentioned games?

Eclipse is god tier. Romolo O Remo is also really good.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The End posted:

Eclipse is god tier. Romolo O Remo is also really good.

Came to recommend Eclipse. It's in space, but fills the same niche as things like Clash of Cultures. Which is why I can't buy CoC. I love Eclipse too much to get a game that would be played instead of it.

The expansion for Eclipse (Rise of the Ancients) should be used, it adds a ton of new techs, sectors, races and discoveries seamlessly. I wish all expansions were like it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jedit posted:

It is. But don't buy a physical copy if you have a smartphone - you can get the game plus a bunch of expansions for a few bucks.

Yeah, just get the Android version and see what you think. I played the poo poo out of it on my phone. Yeah, it's yahtzee, but the various scenarios all have different conditions to adapt to and things you need to do.

Does it have enough to it to make it worth buying as a board game? I couldn't really say. But for something to play on the subway on my way to work, it was well worth the few bucks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You might want Nations, but it's mad to hella expensive.

Anyway, game night report!

First game: Tokaido. Played as the geisha against the wandering swordsman, functionary, and street performer. Overflowed the board score counter.

I worked at a lot of farms, bought a lot of souvenirs, came in first place on the temple and with hotsprings count (also shared souvenirs), and generally ate 1-coin meals and was lucky not to get screwed once I'd downed 2 of them. Also lucky to get 2 complete sets of souvenirs, though the magistrate also managed that. Also also lucky to finish the farm when everyone else was jockeying for mountain and ocean spaces.

MEANINGLESS RP poo poo: The geisha gets her second souvenir free, I say it's from a fan. Works well in the first town when I get a top from a little girl. ...and then the next three freebies are two liquors and a drinking cup. Fanboys heard I was touring and ruined everything.

My 1 coin meals are "eating light" and the ton of hotsprings are also part of the "diet". I show up in Kyoto first with 3 coins and figure the diet worked great. LET'S EAT TWO FEET OF FISH ON A TWO-FOOT BOWL OF RICE (tai meshi).

Second game: Machi Koro + Harbor. After the last game dealt out 10 buildings 9 of which were 3 coins or greater, I decide hell with it and put all 26 out. I think about two-thirds of that game was analysis paralysis so I'm thinking of going back to the 10. But I'd kind of like to have more 1-coin or at least early-game buildings out for purchase. Any suggestions.

Third game: History of the World. It's basically a deeper, better Risk. You play over 7 eras and pseudo-draft cards giving you your starting territory, armies, and turn order. Only one army per territory, combat is attacker rolls 2 dice keep best, defender rolls 1 (or more for terrain bonus) and ties are mutual annihilation. You're not friends with "yourself" from a previous era but "you" will give up without a fight and your color still counts for scoring. And there are special cards you get that can do anything from let you absorb two losses to give you a great leader who will let you roll 3 dice per combat until all 3 match. Get 10, play at most 2 an era. At the end of your turn you score points based on landmarks you occupy and if you're controlling (3 dudes + being only person in region) for 3x points, dominating (2 dudes + most in region) for 2x points, or just occupying (in region but not most) for 1x points, and regions are worth more points, and in the case of the Middle East and North Africa, less points as you continue on in the game.

I came in second on account of being in just about first on the last turn and getting drafted a terrible nation, the early United States which basically can't mount an offensive to Europe but might hit China or Southeast Asia. My power turn was in the fifth era, a ridiculous breakout with 20 armies by the Mongol Hordes that gave me domination in five regions of the world, followed by an alright sixth era that let me play the Aztec/Incas early enough to take most of the points, in addition to an event card that took back most of my conquered territories in China and India after a bunch of angry barbarian Tibetan monks found them in the Alps.

The gamebox is divided into eight broad component trays, 7 for the plastic minis in 6 colors that represent everybody's maximum forces during that era. So, uh, when I banged the box with my elbow near the start of the sixth round, I basically spent the next two rounds sorting minis and having other people roll for my defense until it was my turn again.

Also it took about 6 hours to play.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Played some games at the game shop today.

Mythotopia was the first thing to hit the table, the shop just got it in and the owner wanted to see how it played. We didn't keep it on the table for long. We played 3 rounds and decided to box it up. The game is like GoT if everything you got to do on your turn was determined by a deckbuilder. There's a map with turf to control and build on and you are supposed to capture areas, build stuff, and do certain things to earn VP. You have a shitload of actions on your summary board but they're more like potential actions. If you don't draw what you want to do something then you can't do it and the state of the board limits the action list to about 1-4 things. To invade a territory you spend 1 food card and cards with military icons and put that many at the border. The person being attacked needs to do the same thing (except no food icon cards) and his number needs to match or beat yours. A battle can only end if someone spends their first action to resolve it which turns into each person adding more military until they're in the lead and then cashing in the victory on their first action. Quickly the first few turns became action 1 resolving something and action 2 starting something that you'll hope to resolve on your next turn. By the way the only way the game can end is if the VP point areas run dry and there are no wars happening, THEN a player must spend their first action to end it. Each of the mechanisms relied heavily on the others to carry it and they all fell short. If someone knows the virtues of this game I'd love to hear them because it died quick on our table before anything of merit showed.

Also there's a typo throughout the entire rulebook that there are 5 starting cards when there are only 4. Until we looked that up it was kind of maddening.

We wanted to get some deckbuilding in after that so I brought out Trains. It's my favorite resource deckbuilder, I know Dominion is a better made game and most everything that has come out with that mechanism has been a diluted or cumbersome use of it. I like that it has the same speed but with more of a sense of having built something and gives you something to plan on besides what you hope the cards will give you in the off-turn. It went over well except for one player, he kept encouraging us do whatever ends the game because didn't want to play it. He's mainly drawn in by theme from what I could tell so he probably should have seen that Trains was about, well, trains (his favorite deckbuilder from what I could tell was Marvel: Legendary, which is really just art of Marvel characters and not a theme.)

Funny enough after that dude left one of the guys brought in Legendary: Encounters. I had played the Marvel version and thought it was okay. I have to say this was better but it was still the Legendary system. One guy got turned into the alien player and another died leaving me to try and survive a few turns before I got taken down. The guy who got killed spent the rest of his time managing the cards for the players still in the game until it ended and it still took awhile. The Legendary system has so many moving parts it gets in the way of itself. All of the things you do also feel arbitrary because you're not sure if you made a good call or if all of the random variables just happened to line up. We didn't win by a long shot but I feel if we did it wouldn't feel like we conquered the system but that it happened to fail enough for us to exploit it.

Spartacus was next. It was fun but it in reality it was like a more thematic and entertaining form of a Take-that game for me. It was always interesting what was happening between players and making bids and meta-thinking deal and card plays was good. I also like that the dice-fest gladiator battles weren't the end all be all of the game. If you wanted to could play around that system or rely on it to get the items for victory. I think that it would be hard to implement but if instead of dice the players did combat like in Star Wars: Epic Duels they would have a combat system with enough control and not add too much to the complexity. There are strong VP cards and gently caress you cards to stop them and cards that are a 50/50 dice roll to stop them. I won but I feel like it was luck and a waiting for the right moment to play past people's defenses.

I look forward to what they may do with the X-Men retheme but I'm half holding my breath

The last two were pad games as we waited for the shop to close up.Red 7 was great for slinging game after game of it. Light game with a good amount of think using the advanced rules. I've talked about it before on here and it still holds it's weight as it did then.

The guy that made Machi Koro made a new game called Diamonsters and we ended with that. Diamonsters is pretty much diamonds in a condensed kid-like form. You have 5 cards numbered 1-5 and they beat each other in a circular pattern, highest number always winning except 5 is beaten by 1, the winner gets a random card from the deck and the monster they played placed in front of them. Each monster gives a diamond value from -2 to 2. When the diamond value of the monsters reaches 5 or when you have 3 of the same monster card you win the round. Win enough rounds and you win the game.

It was alright as a game itself but it didn't have much to it besides the meta-think. As the round goes on players will have random cards in their hand so you can't place much confidence in what they will play. At times it feels like you might as well just choose whatever card blindly and get just as much success. I wouldn't object to playing it again but I think Brave Rats (if you only have 2 people.) or Get Bit! do it much better.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I played Forbidden Desert for the first time with my roommate and her boyfriend, and we came out very disappointed. For a bit of background, none of us have played any co-op board games other than a couple games of thread favorite punching bag Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it still felt way too easy. Game 1, we played on Novice and crushed it, so we turned up to Legendary...which we proceeded to crush. Game 3, we did some custom things(started the storm at level 4, had the board wrap around only for storms so that the wind cards would always give maximum amount of sand), and it was still fairly easy.

Is the game actually supposed to be that easy, or did we miss some rules? I kind of hope it's the latter, because we enjoyed the concept but didn't really feel like fiddling more dials right now.

Edit: Actually I think I figured out what we did wrong, nvm.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 8, 2015

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Glazius posted:

Second game: Machi Koro + Harbor. After the last game dealt out 10 buildings 9 of which were 3 coins or greater, I decide hell with it and put all 26 out. I think about two-thirds of that game was analysis paralysis so I'm thinking of going back to the 10. But I'd kind of like to have more 1-coin or at least early-game buildings out for purchase. Any suggestions.

Just mulligan the starting 10 if you're unhappy with the card costs?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah I'm not seeing why you can't just put the cards together by price, shuffle the individual piles up, and then randomly pick the setup with however many cards you want per price point.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Spartacus...

I look forward to what they may do with the X-Men retheme but I'm half holding my breath

Wait what!?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elyv posted:

So I played Forbidden Desert for the first time with my roommate and her boyfriend, and we came out very disappointed. For a bit of background, none of us have played any co-op board games other than a couple games of thread favorite punching bag Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it still felt way too easy. Game 1, we played on Novice and crushed it, so we turned up to Legendary...which we proceeded to crush. Game 3, we did some custom things(started the storm at level 4, had the board wrap around only for storms so that the wind cards would always give maximum amount of sand), and it was still fairly easy.

Is the game actually supposed to be that easy, or did we miss some rules? I kind of hope it's the latter, because we enjoyed the concept but didn't really feel like fiddling more dials right now.

Edit: Actually I think I figured out what we did wrong, nvm.

If you crushed Forbidden Desert on Legendary on your second game then you are ether Rainman or you played it wrong.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/177/advanced-civilization

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rutibex posted:

If you crushed Forbidden Desert on Legendary on your second game then you are ether Rainman or you played it wrong.

yeah, I looked over the rules again about half an hour ago and I think we're supposed to have desert effects after every turn instead of after every turn cycle. :downs:

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Alris posted:

Wait what!?

You betcha

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty excited to buy Galaxy Trucker tomorrow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glazius posted:

You might want Nations, but it's mad to hella expensive.

No, he really loving doesn't. Nations is a game where the winner is decided after 30 minutes and you spend the next 90 minutes trying to figure out who it was. It also contains death spirals.

Historia is a different kind of civilisation game that is worth checking out.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bowmore posted:

My kid plays the app a bunch, yesterday we let him play the real thing and he managed fine (I just had to remind him to keep a space in front of cannons) - one round his was the only surviving ship, so proud.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Glazius posted:

I still wonder if Machi Koro wouldn't work better with a kingdom of 10 random stacks of buildings, with a stack or two of basic 2-cost cards so you can always have something to buy.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

WHEN CAN I ORDER THIS

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014

bowmore posted:

Worth picking up the Anniversary box if you can, the game quickly became a favourite in our group, but the 5 player rules are handy to have around and the extra ships and parts extend re-playability a long way.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Is Fury of Dracula as good as it seems?

And is it as hard/expensive to get ahold of as it seems?

I'm getting ready to feel some :negative:

Semi-related, but what 3-player games do you guys recommend? I'm finding myself in smaller groups lately, and still not exactly the super-boardgamey type, so I need... accessible things. Played Coup/SKULL/Love Letter/Escape!/Quantum, and those are all good(ish) with 3 players.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pimpmust posted:

Is Fury of Dracula as good as it seems?

And is it as hard/expensive to get ahold of as it seems?

I'm getting ready to feel some :negative:

Semi-related, but what 3-player games do you guys recommend? I'm finding myself in smaller groups lately, and still not exactly the super-boardgamey type, so I need... accessible things. Played Coup/SKULL/Love Letter/Escape!/Quantum, and those are all good(ish) with 3 players.
Bottle Imp is good with 3, but it is just a card game (it's still the best card game with 3 players though).

Fury of Dracula is not that good. You have a semi-interesting chase mechanism marred by how you pick up items (it's entirely random) and an atrocious combat system (it's meant to be a rock-paper-scissor card choosing system, but it is completely destroyed by having just to roll higher than your opponent after that). There are cards that allow you to get better modifiers but they are few. It's not very good but it's a rare find since it has been OOP for such a long time. I wouldn't recommend spending the money that it is currently worth (I sold my own battered copy for recommended retail price).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Elyv posted:

yeah, I looked over the rules again about half an hour ago and I think we're supposed to have desert effects after every turn instead of after every turn cycle. :downs:

Haha we made this mistake too. My kids and I were like high giving and I was thinking this game is ridiculously easy. We've only beat the game once since playing correct.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Bottle Imp is good with 3, but it is just a card game (it's still the best card game with 3 players though).

Fury of Dracula is not that good. You have a semi-interesting chase mechanism marred by how you pick up items (it's entirely random) and an atrocious combat system (it's meant to be a rock-paper-scissor card choosing system, but it is completely destroyed by having just to roll higher than your opponent after that). There are cards that allow you to get better modifiers but they are few. It's not very good but it's a rare find since it has been OOP for such a long time. I wouldn't recommend spending the money that it is currently worth (I sold my own battered copy for recommended retail price).

Oh well, then I don't feel too bad about it. Sounds like a really interesting set-up that could be made better though.

Combat is usually the hard part to get right in these sort of games it seems.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Letters from Whitechapel has issues itself but it is better, because it's purely about the investigative phase without the combat elements. I like it but it can be a bit hit or miss (and it's currently in print as well).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm thinking about picking up Viticulture; my wife likes Stone Age, but I'm getting bored of it, at least with two. When I suggested "Stone Age but about running a winery" she loved the idea.

I'm trying to get through the YouTube review but I'm wondering what goons think about it as a regular couple's game. Also apparently the base game is missing a grand worker?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm trying to get through the YouTube review but I'm wondering what goons think about it as a regular couple's game. Also apparently the base game is missing a grand worker?

Second edition (which I think is the only version you can get now anyway) should have the Grande worker that was missing in the first edition

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Tekopo posted:

Letters from Whitechapel has issues itself but it is better, because it's purely about the investigative phase without the combat elements. I like it but it can be a bit hit or miss (and it's currently in print as well).

What are the issues you had with Whitechapel? The only thing I could see is where it's really meant to be a 2 player game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If the Jack player makes smart use of his special abilities it is almost impossible to track down where he is. I think there are a few other minor issues but I haven't played the game in ages.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Zombie #246 posted:

What are the issues you had with Whitechapel? The only thing I could see is where it's really meant to be a 2 player game.

Not only that, but it overstays its welcome by quite a bit. I like the game a lot as Jack, but if you're a detective, especially one of many, there aren't a ton of "rewards" for the two hour plus play time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Viticulture; my wife likes Stone Age, but I'm getting bored of it, at least with two. When I suggested "Stone Age but about running a winery" she loved the idea.

My wife and I play it 2 player regularly and love it. It's not really about denying actions or resources from your opponent so much as it is maximizing your turn in a more effective way then your opponent. It can get competitive, but somehow still feel relaxed and chill ( to me at least). You never worry about your workers starving to death or anything, you've just got to pump out that wine. Or give tours. Or harvest grapes. poo poo like that.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Regarding the lazy Cthulhu mythos cash-ins talk earlier, I find it kind of ironic that such an easily marketable piece of royalty free intellectual property has yet to be used in a mechanically interesting and sound game. For some reason, it seems that such a popular theme and good gameplay are mutually exclusive. On the other hand, when the resource material is pulpy horror that suffers from purple prose and occasional misogyny and racism, maybe the inane Yahtzee rethemes and other dice rollers are more than fitting: cheap, mostly unoriginal and intellectually unstimulating. Despite thinking that Lovecraft never really managed to achieve the kind of horror he set out to write, I have to admit that I would get excited if someone managed to create a cosmic horror board game that actually imbued the dread of the unknown with the mechanics. But since slapping Cthulhu on the box is enough to ensure decent sales, we will probably be stuck with lousy card games, dice rollers and especially miniature games that offer nothing if you look past the theme for all eternity. At least A Study in Emerald tried to be something more and I have heard Ancient Terrible Things to be one of those better Yahtzee games.

Also, see 99 % of zombie games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They should have made the Cthulhu LCG the same type of game as the LotR LCG. Coop, scenario based gameplay. It's pretty easy to imagine things like threat, locations, treacheries etc translating

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They should have made the Cthulhu LCG the same type of game as the LotR LCG. Coop, scenario based gameplay. It's pretty easy to imagine things like threat, locations, treacheries etc translating
I kind of enjoyed the LCG, honestly. It's like, third or fourth on the list by quality (depending on how you feel about the Star Wars one), but it was still reasonably fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's very good pretty strong on theme, and fairly relaxing to play - in the base game at least, you don't have to pay your workers annually, so unlike Agricola and even Caverna, you don't wind up with a conflicting struggle between winning and paying for your people. I think without the expansion content it could get stale quickly though. A hearty recommendation from me.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Rutibex posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/177/advanced-civilization

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/79843/civilization-expansion-project

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

It's very good pretty strong on theme, and fairly relaxing to play - in the base game at least, you don't have to pay your workers annually, so unlike Agricola and even Caverna, you don't wind up with a conflicting struggle between winning and paying for your people. I think without the expansion content it could get stale quickly though. A hearty recommendation from me.

Is the expansion even available, outside of Kickstarter?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
No idea, though I'm sure someone else will have.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
How does viticulture compare to vinhos? Particularly for two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is the expansion even available, outside of Kickstarter?

You can grab Tuscany Prima (Tuscany with the metal coins) from CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market now. I got it last week along with Archipelago, which I'm excited to try.