Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

I'm always surprised by how spry W was there

You don't make MLB Commish without knowing how to duck a few curveballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

With baggage from the 90s? That'd get SS involved rapidly.

Tbh, I'm already attacking Clinton for being too far left on the internet. She's unwilling to make the hard choices necessary in foreign policy which will eliminate ISIL and contain the soviets. I don't trust Clinton to #StandWithKyiv

Don't you have some dead fish to put in the mail?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The news this morning are all saying Chris Christie is finished and needs to go home. This guy always seems to bounce back, so how true a statement is that?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The news this morning are all saying Chris Christie is finished and needs to go home. This guy always seems to bounce back, so how true a statement is that?

This has been true for the last two years and three months. He never actually bounced back, he is just campaigning as though he did and he is facing ever-spiraling federal investigations.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Rygar201 posted:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wasn't there a photoshop contest with him dodging as the starter?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

After his vaccine equivocating, Christie showed his true face. He isn't a hard-headed, no-gruff moderate, he's a willow-whipped pussycat of a strategists' moderate with unhidden mob connections.

He wasn't yelling in those teachers' faces out of principle, he was yelling out of anger management issues. Christie's personality has, in the course of a week, turned from a virtue to a character flaw.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 8, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rygar201 posted:

He was a dumbass but he kept himself in very good shape. When he had some minor surgery at one point, they were a little worried because his resting heart rate was so low on account of his fitness. Low heart rate + anesthesia = potential trouble.

Jazerus posted:

He never actually bounced back, he is just campaigning as though he did and he is facing ever-spiraling federal investigations.
Christie's appeal to the GOP establishment was as the one guy who could appeal to voters and win states outside of the tea party/old confederacy base. Well, several other candidates have emerged for the role of "credible non-snakehandler" (Bush most notably, but there are also a couple of Republican governors of flyover states that would do), and they don't have multiple federal investigations hanging over them. Seems like the money people are looking at Christie and saying "thanks, but no thanks".

Christie's actions over the last year or so (the bridge closure, the bridge closure denials and coverups, his big-spending personal ways, his handling of Atlantic City and other state projects, that ebola nurse quarantine, etc.) have shown him to be not at all ready for prime time, and I think the funders have come to understand that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah from what I gather, after winning re-election he squandered a ton of the goodwill he had won with moderates while his popularity increased amongst the GOP base.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Thinking back to my work for a 3rd party candidate in 2004, when I was still an idealist of the nth degree, I can't think of a single way it even furthered a conversation on any single issue in a meaningful or effective way.

Yeah, you voted your conscience. But you mostly only made yourself feel better.

Of course, my state was still a red one then. I'd advise even the most well-meaning lefty to not waste their time on a 3rd party in what's now nearing swing state status.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Christie needs to stick in this so we can have him be arrested for corruption charges by the FBI in the middle of a debate.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Ted Cruz, echoing Scott Walker earlier, stated that he would not rule out US ground troops to fight ISIS.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/This_Week/sen-ted-cruz-deploy-us-troops-isis/story?id=28812917

Are there any major political figures who go further, and urge troops be sent in now, or promise that if elected President, they will deploy troops? The closest I can find in Lindsay Graham, who argues that ISIS cannot be stopped with anything short of 10,000 US troops in the region.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/231392-graham-10k-us-boots-on-the-ground-needed-to-stop-isis

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 8, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

De Nomolos posted:

Thinking back to my work for a 3rd party candidate in 2004, when I was still an idealist of the nth degree, I can't think of a single way it even furthered a conversation on any single issue in a meaningful or effective way.

Of course, my state was still a red one then. I'd advise even the most well-meaning lefty to not waste their time on a 3rd party in what's now nearing swing state status.

your vote does nothing but make yourself feel better anyway i don't understand why this is so hard to understand

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Voting takes time away from useful agitation and education work, anyway (in your SOC 200 class).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

your vote does nothing but make yourself feel better anyway i don't understand why this is so hard to understand

It doesn't matter if *i* piss in the river, that's way too tiny an act to make the water unsafe to drink.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

If it was Nader, he went on to lend his credibility to Ron Paul by endorsing his cause in 2008 and 2012, so you helped the r:evil:ution :unsmith:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yes, you have correctly ascertained the point, the reason you don't piss in rivers willy-nilly is because it's not done as a collective kind of deal rather than any harm it will cause individually. for any given person, voting D or R or third party means exactly nothing

i mean, sure, if you want to feel like you've "won" the election by voting for the winning guy, go right ahead, but don't kid yourself into thinking that your vote is somehow important

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

This is how we get minority white governments running majority black cities, like Ferguson, MO. The people who think their vote doesn't matter don't vote, and the people that do end up running the place.

There actually is a difference between 0.000001 and 0. Add enough 0.000001s together and you get a meaningful number. This is why political parties exist - collective action by large groups of people (like all voting the same way) have impact on the world where isolated individuals do not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Deteriorata posted:

This is how we get minority white governments running majority black cities, like Ferguson, MO. The people who think their vote doesn't matter don't vote, and the people that do end up running the place.

There actually is a difference between 0.000001 and 0. Add enough 0.000001s together and you get a meaningful number. This is why political parties exist - collective action by large groups of people (like all voting the same way) have impact on the world where isolated individuals do not.

No see, any action in which more than one person reads his post and decides not to vote doesn't count.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Deteriorata posted:

yes I agree but this has nothing to do with my point, which is that voting one of the major parties rather than third party so as not to "waste" your vote is completely nonsensical at an individual basis

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rygar201 posted:

Hey if I was George Bush I'd be training on the reg to be able to dodge things thrown at me too. You'd expect it to happen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George W. Bush isn't the only President who can dodge a shoe on stage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

yes I agree but this has nothing to do with my point, which is that voting one of the major parties rather than third party so as not to "waste" your vote is completely nonsensical at an individual basis

A vote as part of collective action to effect change matters. A vote for a party that will never have any impact on the political process is a waste.

Nothing matters at an individual level in politics. That's not a particularly useful insight, in and of itself. Third parties in American politics are feel-good ideological purity zones, nothing more.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

George W. Bush isn't the only President who can dodge a shoe on stage.

She didn't even dodge it, dude just missed.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I feel like it's pointless to argue the "your ONE VOTE doesn't matter" issue with V.I.L. He's gonna keep hammering that point no matter what arguments appear, and the majority of us who feel otherwise will keep beating our heads against the wall. It generates a silly volume of posts in this and other political threads. The argument goes nowhere.

Yeah, we know how you feel about my ONE VOTE not mattering. And I, and many others, disagree because of the significance of our votes in the collective, which you acknowledge and then go back to beating your drum. Sheesh.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

How about you start a new thread if you want to continue to argue about this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

forbidden lesbian posted:

The Hillary shoe-thrower was a woman, you sexist.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

forbidden lesbian posted:

She's using the Philly shell cordovan, her stance creates the misses, the dodge is only there to setup the counterattack. Learn your president vs. shoe battle tactics.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Sure, she can handle girl-thrown shoes, but Presidents need to dodge the laser like accuracy of a man-throw.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Was it Carly Fiorina?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

De Nomolos posted:

If you have a conscious, you get involved in primary campaigns for a party that can win. To vote 3rd party, outside a vote against Blago, is to make yourself feel better while doing jack poo poo to advocate for improved policy positions.

V. Illych L. posted:

Sounds like a "gently caress You, Got Mine" if I ever heard one. You vote for someone viable, or you waste everyone's time and add no growth with your vote.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 8, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Ben Carson says he will form an exploratory committee this month and announce if he's running or not in May.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/08/us-usa-politics-carson-idUSKBN0LC0MG20150208

I'm spoiled. "But mommy, I don't want the store-brand model! I want HERMAN CAIN!" I miss the real deal.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

God I love that gif, those are the most enthusiastic throws in history.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

William Bear posted:

Ben Carson says he will form an exploratory committee this month and announce if he's running or not in May.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/08/us-usa-politics-carson-idUSKBN0LC0MG20150208

No surprise, his odds are better than expected:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zwabu posted:

I feel like it's pointless to argue the "your ONE VOTE doesn't matter" issue with V.I.L. He's gonna keep hammering that point no matter what arguments appear, and the majority of us who feel otherwise will keep beating our heads against the wall. It generates a silly volume of posts in this and other political threads. The argument goes nowhere.

Yeah, we know how you feel about my ONE VOTE not mattering. And I, and many others, disagree because of the significance of our votes in the collective, which you acknowledge and then go back to beating your drum. Sheesh.

hahaha ok mate

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Women can be dudes joe

haven't you seen 90's classic Good Burger?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjr5TR8_Zws

Listen to this you fucker

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Voting third party in America, outside some very specific instances, is like going all the way to the polling place and then deciding not to vote. Voting Independent Candidate James Long has exactly the effect and impact as not voting at all. Though pretending the argument is to not vote at all is pretty silly.

Thats why you register for the big party and vote for the right candidate in the primary.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

No surprise, his odds are better than expected:

Good to see even Carly beating Lindsey Graham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
Holy poo poo Ted Cruz was in Germany? I live in Hamburg (Northern Germany) and I didn't see any coverage of him! The only coverage about US participation was about Biden!
Maybe I'm not as involved about politics as I thought I am?

Anyway, gently caress Rafael or whatever :P

• Locked thread