Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Actually it sounds like that model has 2 2.5" drive bays and you can just add the SSD to the one that's empty out of the box.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Do you travel a lot or why can't you just plug in a monitor?
Hey, just asked the question - apparently I might be able to bring a monitor! That squashes it - guess 15" would be fine! Thanks for being persistent about it despite resistance. Although the 15" ones seem to have the older graphics chips.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Grundulum posted:

Ph.D., computational astrophysics, and looking to expand into OpenMP or CUDA to speed things along. Looks like I'll be looking for QM suffixes once the research budget starts.

Why would you get a laptop instead of a desktop then?

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
So my T440s just decided to not work recently. Doesn't power up, no lights when I plug it in, nothing at all. It's just off warranty now, so I opened it up and tried pulling the batteries, HDD, ram, etc but I can't get it to start up again. Any idea what are the odds that a laptop repair place might be able to fix it or what's my best option now?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sadus posted:

Besides the watt/hrs what is the difference between these two 6 cells, assuming the "HC Rear" one is more bulky and sticks out further? Since they are hotswappable that seems a bit unnecessary
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear [-$5]
* ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Rear
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (47Whr) Cylindrical [+$5]

It's not watt per hour, it's watt times hour. 1Wh = 3600J.

The Wh directly correspond to the amount of energy and therefore to how long the battery will last. The 47Wh will have twice the battery life of the 3 cell thing, and the 72Wh battery will have three times the battery life.

Either Lenovo has a weird-rear end pricing scheme or the pricing on the website is hosed up, but the 72Wh is the one to choose every single time unless you for some reason insist on having a marginally lighter laptop with poo poo battery life. Yes, it will stick out a bit more and probably make your laptop a few mm thicker at the back.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 8, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

eXXon posted:

Why would you get a laptop instead of a desktop then?

Desktops don't travel well. I may be better off getting a super light laptop and a beefy desktop instead, rather than trying to get a laptop that handles both roles.

Thoughts on the current state of workhorse laptops?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

These are the two machines I'm considering to replace my 5 year old Lenovo Y-series.

Clevo P650SE. It can get pricey but under $1500 buys a GTX970m (twice as many shaders as the GTX860 in the Lenovo), an IPS display, and m.2 expansion slots capable of utilizing PCIe SSDs. It has a pretty restrained appearance as well.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html

The new MSI GE62 is marginally more expensive than a Y50, but has a GTX965m and i think a Samsung PLS display. From what I've seen it has vastly better viewing angles than the cheap TN panels in some other machines.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711&cm_re=msi_ge62-_-34-152-711-_-Product
Think I'm going to get that Clevo/Sager from XoticPC. Going to ask them tomorrow what the diff is between the displays.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dominoes posted:

Think I'm going to get that Clevo/Sager from XoticPC. Going to ask them tomorrow what the diff is between the displays.

Here's another positive review (this one is branded as a Eurocom):
http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/eurocom-m5-pro-review-clevo-p650se/

Consensus seems to be to get a 1080p IPS display, and avoid the higher resolution models as they chew battery and you still can't play demanding games at the higher resolutions.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

Here's another positive review (this one is branded as a Eurocom):
http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/eurocom-m5-pro-review-clevo-p650se/

Consensus seems to be to get a 1080p IPS display, and avoid the higher resolution models as they chew battery and you still can't play demanding games at the higher resolutions.
I'm mostly interested in the high res displays for non-gaming use. Since it's exactly twice 1920x1080, you should be able to run that res sharp if you want. Do the high-res panels kill battery life even when run at a lower res? Curious if they're IPS like the 1080p one, how much they hurt batt life, and what the diff between the two is.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dominoes posted:

I'm mostly interested in the high res displays for non-gaming use. Since it's exactly twice 1920x1080, you should be able to run that res sharp if you want. Do the high-res panels kill battery life even when run at a lower res? Curious if they're IPS like the 1080p one, how much they hurt batt life, and what the diff between the two is.

NotebookCheck tested both FHD (GTX980m) and 4k(GTX970m) versions and despite the more powerful graphics card of the FHD model...

quote:

Overall, the runtimes are 50% higher compared to the 4K version.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P505-PRO-Clevo-P651SG-Notebook-Review.132393.0.html

I honestly don't know if the consumption changes if you scale it down to lower resolutions. :confused: If you have a legitimate need for that many pixels though, go for it. I'm coming from a 1366X768 display though, so I think FHD will suit me just fine.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 8, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Grundulum posted:

Desktops don't travel well. I may be better off getting a super light laptop and a beefy desktop instead, rather than trying to get a laptop that handles both roles.

Thoughts on the current state of workhorse laptops?

Get a desktop and a thin and light laptop and remote into your desktop if you need to do heavy computing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-P505-PRO-Clevo-P651SG-Notebook-Review.132393.0.html

I honestly don't know if the consumption changes if you scale it down to lower resolutions. :confused:

Ignoring the power drawn from the backlight,

Fewer pixels == less energy used, with current technology this is a linear relationship. Transistors require power to run, flip on and off etc and if you'll remember TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor.

Second, more pixels = more "dividers" between the pixels, which means instead of 1% of the scrren being taken up by the grid structure of the panel on a 13" 1366x768 panel, you're in the ballpark of 5-10% of the panel being taken up by the grid structure, that means 4-9% more of the screen is taken up by stuff blocking the light, meaning you need roughly 4-9% more backlight to produce the same screen luminosity. Pixels aren't just magic transmutable objects where all panels pull the smae power.

This is also why the 2013 Moto X phone had a 720p screen instead of a 1080p screen; better battery life.

OLEDs get around these limitations somewhat by producing their own light and handle luminosity per pixel, but gently caress you if you want a laptop with an OLED screen.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Get a desktop and a thin and light laptop and remote into your desktop if you need to do heavy computing.

Honestly this is a pretty good idea. Setup a VPN to your home or work lab and remote in via SSH or Remote Desktop. Those new Raspberry Pi 2.0's make for pretty great VPN appliances, they will do about 300mbps full duplex using 1024 crypto.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 8, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Im close to pulling the trigger on a new Lenovo X1, the T450 many not be out for a couple of months in Europe.

Is that extra .20 Ghz a total waste of money? Main use case is dev with VS2013.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not sure I'll have the budget for both within the first year. The plan was to buy the desktop next year and do the remote login thing, regardless of what variety of laptop I get. It was just a question of what my (more) mobile device is in the meantime. I've gotten used to having access to HPC resources, so moving to a new institution and losing that access is making me second-guess myself fiercely.

Edit: this must be the nerd equivalent to why people buy Ford F-250s to drive to the office. "But what if I suddenly need all that power and I'm stuck with the Fiat???!!"

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

bpower posted:

Im close to pulling the trigger on a new Lenovo X1, the T450 many not be out for a couple of months in Europe.

Is that extra .20 Ghz a total waste of money? Main use case is dev with VS2013.

That would be an absolutely ridiculous upgrade for the price, in my opinion.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

DNova posted:

That would be an absolutely ridiculous upgrade for the price, in my opinion.

Ridiculous in a bad way.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A very bad no good way, that's an insane price

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks guys, It seemed too bad to be true so I thought I might be missing something.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's like paying taxes in Massachusetts.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

sarehu posted:

It's like paying taxes in Massachusetts.

I don't get it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fetus Tree posted:

I don't get it

Some US states require vat for online shopping, others don't, and enforcement is apparently all but non existent (America lol). Guess where smart Americans don't buy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

blowfish posted:

Some US states require vat for online shopping, others don't, and enforcement is apparently all but non existent (America lol). Guess where smart Americans don't buy.

US doens't have any form of VAT, we just have a vague "sales tax" that varies from region to region.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blowfish posted:

I'm a massachusetts resident. Some online retailers charge tax (amazon) others dont (newegg)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fetus Tree posted:

I'm a massachusetts resident. Some online retailers charge tax (amazon) others dont (newegg)

Stores generally don't charge tax unless they have a physical presence in the state ( typically a distribution center but it could also be an office or the state they are registered in.

This is pretty much all due to the Supreme Court's ruling in, Quill Corp. v. Heitkamp, 504 U.S. 298 (1992) which ruled that mail order companies don't need to pay taxes on stuff shipped out of their state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stores generally don't charge tax unless they have a physical presence in the state ( typically a distribution center but it could also be an office or the state they are registered in.
CDW is nice enough that that collect it no matter what state you're in. Hrmph.

pago
Nov 30, 2012
Hello. I had a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5167 and the charging port recently went bad. The battery is also dead. I'm looking to get a new laptop. My main concern is being able to run adobe photoshop and lightroom. My old laptop ran them with some difficulty. I was looking for help in finding either a comparable machine or one of similar budget ($500) that could run the adobe programs. Thank you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Typically, the state still requires you to pay it whether the vendor collects it or not. Most people don't, but it's technically tax fraud if you don't.

I know PA has started asking about it on the state return, so it's a little more in your face and less "I didn't know." They ask you how much you purchased online that didn't collect sales tax and add the bill to your return.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

pago posted:

Hello. I had a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5167 and the charging port recently went bad. The battery is also dead. I'm looking to get a new laptop. My main concern is being able to run adobe photoshop and lightroom. My old laptop ran them with some difficulty. I was looking for help in finding either a comparable machine or one of similar budget ($500) that could run the adobe programs. Thank you.

If you can stretch your budget a bit you can pick up a machine with a full HD display and decent graphics (which are good things).

Something like this maybe?

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So I decided its time for me to upgrade my laptop. It will be used for general internet browsing, movies/music and possibly some light gaming. Also a possibility of some light 2d drafting. Whats the general consensus around here about zenbooks? Specifically I am eyeballing the UX303LN. It seems like it would fit the bill. Im open to other suggestions as well. I am looking in the $800-900 range and it seems Amazon has a few minor cosmetically damaged ones in that range.

E: Apparently right now through work, I can get a 25% discount on certain lenovo models. I can get a fully loaded z40-70 pretty drat cheap. Would I be better off with that?

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 9, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I installed xfce on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 by way of Crouton, and it's pretty neat.
However I can't for the life of me figure out how to install Chrome, and the stock browser thing is terrible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Just so I'm safe, this is the thread to ask for laptop recommendations, yes?

And just out of curiosity, where can I look up the most popular laptop brands in terms of sales and popularity for 2014, and preferably going back several years? I want to see where HP and Lenovo fall on the list.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Annath posted:

So I installed xfce on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 by way of Crouton, and it's pretty neat.
However I can't for the life of me figure out how to install Chrome, and the stock browser thing is terrible.

Which Linux distribution do you have xfce running on? I use Xubuntu on my T61. Installing chrome was easy; all I had to do was use the Web Browser (which by default was Firefox), go to google.com/chrome, download, then double click the .deb file.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Just so I'm safe, this is the thread to ask for laptop recommendations, yes?

And just out of curiosity, where can I look up the most popular laptop brands in terms of sales and popularity for 2014, and preferably going back several years? I want to see where HP and Lenovo fall on the list.

Here you go, this is a pretty good list

Spoiler alert: Lenovo and HP are in the top 5

Everseen
Apr 27, 2010
I'm shopping for a laptop and it sucks.
Budget: 500-900$
Use: CAD/Matlab/Old Games?/Excel/Word

Important:
Price
Durability
Reliability

Otherwise I'm flexible, I have a tower PC that I've kept mostly up to date so I don't really need any gaming. Battery life isn't that important since I don't have any trips scheduled where I'd need it. I do like watching videos and and fiddling with computers, but mostly I do that on the desktop.

Less Important:
Weight
Size

I have giant manhands and carrying stuff is uncomfortable I guess? This is all negotiable.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Fetus Tree posted:

I don't get it

Their income tax return has a checkbox that you can check in case you want your income to be taxed at a higher rate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gitmo: have a chart. Why reviews, software and "innovation" are weightedmore heavily than Tech Support, Design, Keyboard, Screen is kind of :psyduck:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2015

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Value matters too. :colbert:

Edit: Apple wins on software?! Edit2: Oh, I guess if they're measuring on "software the laptop manufacturer installs" rather than "software the machine will run" then that's fair enough because everyone else deserves to score negative points on that metric.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hadlock posted:

Here you go, this is a pretty good list

Spoiler alert: Lenovo and HP are in the top 5

:catstare: Uhh gee thanks for the lmgtfy link, I guess. Boy, I sure feel stupid.

I know it was a dumb question, but drat, you don't have to be a dick about it.

Should I bother posting what I'm looking for in a laptop, since I already typed it all out?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 10, 2015

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
In the last 300 pages I'm sure the current Lenovo T-series trackpad was heavily debated. Is it still terrible? I am seeing whiffs of complaints about the thing on reddit, etc. My wife is forgoing Apple to save some money and I'd like to get her a Lenovo T440, since they're on sale right now at about $610. But if the trackpad is garbage I doubt she'll be willing to use the trackpoint (the red nubby guy).

We could wait until the next T-series is released, maybe this month? Or just find something that's comparable in performance and price. I guess the i5 4200u is a good starting point? And is my concern of Acer being trash valid?

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 10, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The next T450 is likely to be released in late march with a pretty good trackpad, and the base model will probably run $650 through the Lenovo B&N gold link in the OP. I would spend the extra cash and get the display upgrade to 1080p though. 1366x768 is a terrible thing to do to someone you love.

You can usually pick up a Thinkpad Yoga which has a good trackpad on the Lenovo Outlet site for $450-700 and it comes with a 1080p IPS touchscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Hadlock posted:

The next T450 is likely to be released in late march with a pretty good trackpad, and the base model will probably run $650 through the Lenovo B&N gold link in the OP. I would spend the extra cash and get the display upgrade to 1080p though. 1366x768 is a terrible thing to do to someone you love.

You can usually pick up a Thinkpad Yoga which has a good trackpad on the Lenovo Outlet site for $450-700 and it comes with a 1080p IPS touchscreen

Okay, I see this guy here: http://shop.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/20CDX05200/445

Seems reasonable though I reckon the higher price only stems from touchscreen, fancy case/form factor and higher res screen? Otherwise it has similar specs to the T440, yes? This one does have some more RAM and solid state drive, but the other outlet Yogas I saw with regular HDs and less RAM are only $50 cheaper or so.

Last question is what would fit into this mid-range category best that also has separate trackpad buttons below the trackpad, instead of above/in front, etc. Like the older T-series (or my own X120e that is still alive).

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 10, 2015