Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Unironically want to see some pre-awakening Liliana cosplay. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

277 cards suggests another sheet, so its possible.

One way they could do this is Legendary Creatures that flip into Planeswalkers to show them getting a "spark."

This is a fantastic idea but at the same time it seems like it would require extra investment to get the Planeswalker.

What would happen if someone tried to bolt a creature and then it became a planeswalker, out of curiosity?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

277 cards suggests another sheet, so its possible.

One way they could do this is Legendary Creatures that flip into Planeswalkers to show them getting a "spark."

that would be cool as hell

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is a really neat and very flavorful idea.

Another thing that makes me suspect it is the fact they showed those two pieces of art of the same character as a before and after and said they'd reveal it at PAX, which was randomly suspicious - they could reveal that they're the same card.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is a fantastic idea but at the same time it seems like it would require extra investment to get the Planeswalker.

What would happen if someone tried to bolt a creature and then it became a planeswalker, out of curiosity?

I have my doubts that if they were real they'd have the ability to flip instantaneously, but Planeswalkers aren't a legal target for Bolt, so it would fizzle.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

The spell would get countered on resolution because a planeswalker is not a legal target for Lightning Bolt. On the other hand, if it was something like Fated Conflagration, it would still damage the planeswalker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Planeswalkers aren't legal targets for Bolt, so presumably it would fizzle. Assuming they do the flip creatures (which I hope they do; it sounds awesome) I could see them doing some special "Bestow" rule where it still damages the planeswalker because.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe to make them flip you have to do whatever in the story made their spark ignite?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Does anyone have some of the images that came with the announcement?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Does anyone have some of the images that came with the announcement?

Try here.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That pre-spark Liliana art..

:allears:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, Jace, you look... like a totally ordinary dude. I think it's the hairdo, it lends to the generic-ness.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's such an obviously good idea that it would surprise me if they don't do it. Having the DFCs at mythic only would also help ease the printing costs.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Did they base the Jace art off Adam Scott.

Cause that looks like Adam Scott.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pre-Spark Liliana has a cute dress :3

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's such an obviously good idea that it would surprise me if they don't do it. Having the DFCs at mythic only would also help ease the printing costs.

I don't think that actually makes a difference or might actually make it harder, they had to use another sheet for DFCs in Innistrad block and put one card in from that sheet in the booster or something. I think you'd still have to do something similar, complicated by the fact that not every pack would have one(disclaimer: I know nothing about printing).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

I don't think that actually makes a difference or might actually make it harder, they had to use another sheet for DFCs in Innistrad block and put one card in from that sheet in the booster or something. I think you'd still have to do something similar, complicated by the fact that not every pack would have one(disclaimer: I know nothing about printing).

I don't think the system they use could just put them at Mythic. They'd need a sheet. The extra cards in the set sort of suggests that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh fair enough. I guess you could use the mechanic to do other iconic cards at the lower rarities too.

One other way I can think of for them to do it would be to have the pre-spark creature "wish" into a sideboard planeswalker of themselves when the condition is met.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 8, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I realize that Jesse Hampton is significantly better than me, but I don't understand not taking either amulet or bloom or even both.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Wizards please cut back to the booth so we can see the LSV stirrings pantomime

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

I realize that Jesse Hampton is significantly better than me, but I don't understand not taking either amulet or bloom or even both.

There's no way that was right. Take both and he's not doing anything without drawing 4 lands or another Amulet and another Bloom.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Famous last words 'Guess I should have taken the Summer Bloom'.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AgentSythe posted:

Wizards please cut back to the booth so we can see the LSV stirrings pantomime

I've been watching too much Excellent Adventures because this is all I imagined:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hmmm what would be the chances of "pre spark" plainswalkers being a different colour?

Only asking because Liliana looks pretty loving white in that art (not racist), but I don't know lore so I have no idea if she was always evil or what

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The guy from Wizards mentioned she was a "healer" pre-spark so it's certainly a possibility. Not sure that all of them will go through that sort of personality change.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Also here are the PT decklists.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jace used to punch nerds, now he is the nerd.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AceClown posted:

Hmmm what would be the chances of "pre spark" plainswalkers being a different colour?

Only asking because Liliana looks pretty loving white in that art (not racist), but I don't know lore so I have no idea if she was always evil or what

She's surrounded by ravens though :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She just likes birds OK :colbert:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Storm Crow. Fool.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

JerryLee posted:

The more I look at it the more it's clubbing you in the face with the "going down a dark path" visual metaphor

never change wizards

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
This amulet combo player is very good.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AceClown posted:

If we're going by D&D rules, the only real difference between healer & necromancer is an alignment shift, isn't it? A White -> Black alignment shift would be cliche, but completely in line with the game's roots.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 8, 2015

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

jassi007 posted:

This amulet combo player is very good.

He is, but he's somewhat close to having punted this game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AceClown posted:

The more I look at it the more it's clubbing you in the face with the "going down a dark path" visual metaphor

never change wizards

I wish they would've done better than literally walking down into shadows but it's not like anything else about Liliana is subtle

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does Amulet stand to be a tier 1 deck or is it just catching the meta at a weird unprepared time?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This game is surprisingly exciting and close.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does Amulet stand to be a tier 1 deck or is it just catching the meta at a weird unprepared time?

More the second. Remember that it's, what, 1% of the field? No one sideboarded to make sure they wouldn't lose to amulet bloom in the top 8.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Swagger Dagger posted:

I wish they would've done better than literally walking down into shadows but it's not like anything else about Liliana is subtle

When your name is literally an anamgram of 'A Villainess' subtlety is kind of missing the point.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo that top 4 of library search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Amulet player found the perfect combination of lands with Primeval Titan while his opponent had a Mindcensor Aven out for lethal. :stonklol:

• Locked thread