Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Super Mario 3D World and Bayonetta 2 were both 720p too and they look fine. As long as it can keep a consistent framerate I'm not too bothered, the environments are still gonna look fantastic and the characters are still gonna look terrible
And that's something I find a little bit surprising about this game, really. With how much love and care obviously went into crafting all of the world and monster designs, which are utterly fantastic. And it's not even like the art style for the characters in general can't work, seeing how not all of the characters look terrible, just most of them. Elma for example, looks perfectly fine (to me, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NTT posted:

720p? :/

1080p is difficult to achieve. PS4, most of its games are 1080p, but the Xbox One really struggles to achieve this and while its hardware is weak, it's still far superior to the Wii U hardware. Graphic processors get taxed really hard on resolutions of 1080p and above.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

NTT posted:

720p? :/

what are you not going to purchase it now?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm going to purchase and then immediately throw the game away out of disgust.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Unless you're sitting (too) close to your TV or have perfect vision you're not going to notice much difference between 720p and 1080p if it's done well and runs at a solid frame rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're sitting (too) close to your TV or have perfect vision you're not going to notice much difference between 720p and 1080p if it's done well and runs at a solid frame rate.

While I don't care about games being in 720p, this is a common myth and a huge misunderstanding of how resolutions and frame rate works.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I said come in! posted:

While I don't care about games being in 720p, this is a common myth and a huge misunderstanding of how resolutions and frame rate works.

Oh man this would make for an awesome thread discussion that I don't have bookmarked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Oh man this would make for an awesome thread discussion that I don't have bookmarked.

I'm not going to get into it, trust me. If someone really wants to educate themselves, there are a billion sources on the internet that one can Google that explains this better then I could.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Someone subbed the presentation video from a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNzxuly294 Make sure CC is turned on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

planetarial posted:

Someone subbed the presentation video from a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNzxuly294 Make sure CC is turned on.

I see this game takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom

E: Immobile Fernando :allears:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like how a whole section of the stream was dedicated to "this game is loving big".

edit: As a member of the military exploration team, discovery of Superb Views is critical.

edit 2: Also, even though there's so much focus on the Dolls, I have the sinking feeling that they'll be the sort of thing you get technically early in the game, but still annoyingly long into the game if you're really itching to get in one. Hopefully joining the group that either uses or produces them will let you get a license quick.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My bigger concern is that dolls are gonna look cool but end up being kinda worthless/crappy.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Oh great, real doll is genius 13 year old that's good at cooking.

Still, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Saying the game is huge is an understatement, the environments are gorgeous (except for desert continent), and the faces bother me less than before perhaps due to actual facial expressions.

That voice for the 13 year old is grating though, hopefully they don't go with the same in the english localization.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping for some aliens to put into your party so I can have more variety than anime humans and what looks like the worst :spergin:pon ever. Or at least some age hiking if I can only bring Pizza to alien parties.

Glad they at least decided to put in some camera features to check out the environments from different angles, but I hope it isn't somehow impossible to just play the game on the gamepad.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
They just tweeted that it's possible to put the main screen on the gamepad, so there's your answer.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is it possible to go on dates with your anime girlfriend/s in this game? Xenoblade kinda had that with the dating spot chats or whatever. It's been a while since I played it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is it possible to go on dates with your anime girlfriend/s in this game? Xenoblade kinda had that with the dating spot chats or whatever. It's been a while since I played it.

Long answer, you can print out their pictures and have a quiet dinner at your place, one on one, over a beautiful candle lit dinner with the best ramen the Safeway aisle offers and a stunning blend of Code Red and Carlo Rossi Rosé, complemented by blue cheese because you read somewhere you're supposed to pair wine with cheese but hosed if you have any idea how to do that. Short answer, nobody knows yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Aside from the characters having the oversized anime eyes while keeping normal(ish) body designs I like the game's look. Hopefully I'm not stuck looking at closeups of the human-anime faces too much though because the eyes are really kinda creepy.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
XC question - I'm crossing off a bunch of side quests for affinity and still need to kill Wallside Gwynry (Challenge 4), it's been a while and can't remember if I originally killed it in the first place but this one has been not respawning for way too long. I'm at where it's supposed to be - the bottom of the "C" shape bend east of the Mag Mell waypoint, and it's just not spawning. I'm 25 hours in now, in Alcamoth, so it's been a looooong time to wait for a respawn. What's the deal? Anyone know if I need to do something or is that unfinished quest gonna just taunt me forever?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Idioteque Dance posted:

XC question - I'm crossing off a bunch of side quests for affinity and still need to kill Wallside Gwynry (Challenge 4), it's been a while and can't remember if I originally killed it in the first place but this one has been not respawning for way too long. I'm at where it's supposed to be - the bottom of the "C" shape bend east of the Mag Mell waypoint, and it's just not spawning. I'm 25 hours in now, in Alcamoth, so it's been a looooong time to wait for a respawn. What's the deal? Anyone know if I need to do something or is that unfinished quest gonna just taunt me forever?

Change the clock to 2-3 pm and do the save/load trick until he shows up.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

Change the clock to 2-3 pm and do the save/load trick until he shows up.
Went in at 2pm and bam, there it was. Thanks!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
The music thing probably doesn't bother me as much since I'm used to RPG music being unforgettable crap nowadays.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Idioteque Dance posted:

General rule for most uniques (there are a few exceptions but this works for like 90%+ of them):

- When you fulfill their spawn conditions and have not yet killed them in that playthrough, they have a 100% chance to spawn.

- When you fulfill their spawn conditions and have killed them in that playthrough, they have a 30% chance to spawn. If they don't spawn, reload the area. Easiest options are save/load or fast traveling. The latter is only practical if there's a fast travel point pretty drat close by though. (You can fast travel from the area to itself to reload it, you don't have to go elsewhere in between.)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So is the 5 areas that they showed supposed to be all/the bulk of the areas in the game? Thats a bit underwhelming if true, even though the areas look pretty nice

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Maybe there are some other areas they want to keep secret. Not holding my breath though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Farg posted:

So is the 5 areas that they showed supposed to be all/the bulk of the areas in the game? Thats a bit underwhelming if true, even though the areas look pretty nice

Bulk being 5x larger then Xenoblade so... underwhelming?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Line Feed posted:

Maybe there are some other areas they want to keep secret. Not holding my breath though.

They said each area has a lot of sub areas with very different appearances. Plus there's bound to be caves/dungeons/fortresses etc. The five shown are just the big general areas.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Farg posted:

Keep in mind that if those are all the areas, then each of them is roughly the same size as the entirety of Xenoblade.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doc V posted:

Keep in mind that if those are all the areas, then each of them is roughly the same size as the entirety of Xenoblade.

Thats underwhelming.
So whats the chance of another planet DLC?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Farg posted:

Consider the fact that Bionis in the original Xenoblade had really only six major areas if you discounted towns/dungeons: the area outside of Colony 9, Bionis Leg, Satorl Marsh, Makna Forest, Eryth Sea, and Valak Mountain. And that traveling into space will probably be a thing at some point, as well as the possibility for underground/undersea areas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I like the idea that people are complaining the game's world is too small when each of the 5 areas is several times larger than even something like the Gaur Plains was. Some of those scenic shots from cliffs looking over the horizon show a lake/fireld combo that's probably 2-3 the size of any area in Xenoblade Chronicles. Of the few concerns I have for this game "the world's too small" is not one of them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

http://gamingbolt.com/rumor-xenoblade-chronicles-x-launching-in-north-america-on-may-31
yeah its a rumor. But if its already shipping in japan with dual audio...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I didn't think the localization was so far along considering we still haven't heard a single English-language voice, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

http://gamingbolt.com/rumor-xenoblade-chronicles-x-launching-in-north-america-on-may-31
yeah its a rumor. But if its already shipping in japan with dual audio...

Please be true! I was expecting a 6 - 9 month wait.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
2 Wii U games in a month? I don't think so.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I didn't really realize the areas were that large. I figured they were around XC size. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Launching on May 31st would be cruel because who launches a game on a Sunday? Sunday video game releases cause lots of sudden illnesses for working people.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Launching on May 31st would be cruel because who launches a game on a Sunday? Sunday video game releases cause lots of sudden illnesses for working people.

Nintendo tends to release on Fridays or Sundays because they do what they want and don't release on Tuesdays like everybody else does.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silvain posted:

2 Wii U games in a month? I don't think so.

Holy poo poo.....it's almost like a normal videogame system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Two games is too many games for a real adult to play in one month.

• Locked thread