Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Misandu posted:

I like the top one much better. It feels more visually interesting and avoids the manufactured look of the bottom one that the weird semi-symmetry gives it.

That's generally been the response, and it just goes to show that my mindset from 2011 compared to now in 2015 is much different. Also that map making with people watching and suggesting helps. On the plus side, an unintended benefit is that somehow the map wound up almost 100% looking like the place where the chapter takes place

I included the little square of the map where it takes place, rotated to the height of the map. It could probably use a little more editing and the island is placed above the branch where the map shows it would be, but otherwise lucky coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So has there been any more news about the new Fire Emblem game beyond buzzwords?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Geostomp posted:

So has there been any more news about the new Fire Emblem game beyond buzzwords?

It's coming out in Japan, Summer this year.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tae posted:

It's coming out in Japan, Summer this year.

So we can expect to see it late this year or, more likely, early next year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The bottom of those two pictures makes me think of Zelda and I have no idea why.

Geostomp posted:

So we can expect to see it late this year or, more likely, early next year.

Unless Pokemon Z doesn't get released this year, my guess is early next year. I'd assume they'd want it out a fast as they can, considering how well Awakening did, but unless it's a simultaneous release internationally I doubt they'd pit it against their biggest handheld franchise.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 7, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've been telling myself "one more turn" for almost 2 hours now sitting on my bed playing FE7 on the WiiU. I think I'm just going to end up playing this entire thing tonight.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Good

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Priscilla is just now getting more than one digit in magic at level 19. :cripes:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Should've used Serra

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So two more maps all for the same chapter. This chapter is going to be... difficult. And for good reason we'll be releasing this as a stand alone hack to gauge reactions. Because what happens in the first half of the hack, is... a big tonal shift. I think it's corny, but it works and there's a few versions we're trying but... you'll see when it's released. when it's finished this becomes 20x or Roy's promotion chapter. So... It's not very 'thoughtful' but it serves the story.

Version 1

Version 2

Both leading into this map.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The bottom of those two pictures makes me think of Zelda and I have no idea why.

Unless Pokemon Z doesn't get released this year, my guess is early next year. I'd assume they'd want it out a fast as they can, considering how well Awakening did, but unless it's a simultaneous release internationally I doubt they'd pit it against their biggest handheld franchise.

I dunno how much they'd expect FE and Pokemon to overlap though. Pokemon's a kid's game and Fire Emblem is kind-of niche. Who knows though.

I assume SMTxFE got canned but I wonder why we haven't gotten an official word on it yet. I think they said it wasn't cancelled as-of E3 2014 but that was before If was announced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Isn't Atlus doing the gruntwork on SMT x FE, not IntSys?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm re-playing path of radiance and experiencing my first bad Ike; in 16 levels he has hit both his magic and strength growth 4 times. this is very distressing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
As someone who has played Radiant Dawn and absolutely loved it, would I like Path or Radiance or would it be like playing Lufia 1 after Lufia 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SA2K posted:

As someone who has played Radiant Dawn and absolutely loved it, would I like Path or Radiance or would it be like playing Lufia 1 after Lufia 2
You would love path of radiance. Play it right now. There's no huge leaps forward from FE9 in FE10, so the gameplay should still be fine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

can somebody explain how fixed growth rate mode worked in radiance? thank you in advance

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's nonsensical

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Volt Catfish posted:

can somebody explain how fixed growth rate mode worked in radiance? thank you in advance

everyone more or less hits their averages; sometimes your stat growths are changed by what you kill, and what bands you have equipped, and i have no loving clue beyond that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's a really good idea that should be in every FE game with some stupid nonsensical cruft tacked on ruining it.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

Alright, so basically each stat has its own 0-100 XP bar, and whenever a character gains XP they gain XP for each stat equal to (XP Gained*Growth Rate)/100, rounding to the nearest integer, with stats actually being increased when you gain a level. Growth rate is modified by the character's equipped band, the weapon used and the class of the enemy defeated.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The main difference between PoR and RD's gameplay is that BEXP is random in PoR, while RD will guarantee 3 stat levels.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Alright, so basically each stat has its own 0-100 XP bar, and whenever a character gains XP they gain XP for each stat equal to (XP Gained*Growth Rate)/100, rounding to the nearest integer, with stats actually being increased when you gain a level. Growth rate is modified by the character's equipped band, the weapon used and the class of the enemy defeated.

It'd be kinda neat if this mode were included in later games minus that last sentence. I enjoy the pseudo randomness of FE level ups, but other people would like consistency

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SA2K posted:

You'll probably like it. The difficulty is closer to the GBA games and the plot is more consistent, but RD had the better overall map design and skill system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No joke, I think the series would be improved if it had (non-stupid) fixed growths, and guaranteed 100% acc and 0% crit on everything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

No joke, I think the series would be improved if it had (non-stupid) fixed growths, and guaranteed 100% acc and 0% crit on everything.

I don't. Give me another Advance Wars

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

That sounds dull as gently caress.

It means everything would just be the spergiest optimization race, and literally everything would have to be thrown out or rebalanced. Different weapon types? Why bother with anything but maximum power if there's no way to miss? What meaningful distinction between classes are you going to throw in beyond movement? Goodbye dodge-tanks, any unit surviving an enemy turn ever and anything with any weakness.

I mean at that point just throw in the Advance Wars cart. You literally throw out anything Fire Emblem has that makes it remotely different from Advanced Wars if you do that.

Hell Advanced Wars has more RNG in that damage has a range and isn't fixed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

those are fine as options but i dont think they should be mandatory

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

That sounds dull as gently caress.

It means everything would just be the spergiest optimization race, and literally everything would have to be thrown out or rebalanced. Different weapon types? Why bother with anything but maximum power if there's no way to miss? What meaningful distinction between classes are you going to throw in beyond movement? Goodbye dodge-tanks, any unit surviving an enemy turn ever and anything with any weakness.

I mean at that point just throw in the Advance Wars cart. You literally throw out anything Fire Emblem has that makes it remotely different from Advanced Wars if you do that.

Hell Advanced Wars has more RNG in that damage has a range and isn't fixed.

Accuracy isn't really a reason you use specific weapons most of the time. Required weapon rank, availability of said weapon, range, weapon uses, effective damage and in earlier games, weight are all bigger factors most of the time in weapon choice.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Shadow Dragon had accuracy as a non-issue past the first few chapters, but stuff like that is kind of a Fire Emblem staple. I would enjoy a mode like that, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I dunno how much they'd expect FE and Pokemon to overlap though. Pokemon's a kid's game and Fire Emblem is kind-of niche. Who knows though.

You don't release two games in the same month, even if there isn't much overlap you're still cannibalizing your own sales. Especially when it's Nintendo and not, like, Activision's bargain bin game devs. Nintendo doesn't release a whole lot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

You don't release two games in the same month, even if there isn't much overlap you're still cannibalizing your own sales. Especially when it's Nintendo and not, like, Activision's bargain bin game devs. Nintendo doesn't release a whole lot.

Nintendo released pokemon and Smash 4 on the same day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pokemon company is actually a separate company that Nintendo has to license out for games. It's weird, the relationship is like Sony and Naughty Dog so Pokemon can just do their own poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That sounds like it would be really really bad for Fire Emblem without drastic overhauls to everything else.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

No joke, I think the series would be improved if it had (non-stupid) fixed growths, and guaranteed 100% acc

so awakening

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I must have missed the fixed growths option in the menu.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ruggington posted:

so awakening

Hey man, your dudes could miss in awakening for like, a whole two chapters!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FoolyCharged posted:

Hey man, your dudes could miss in awakening for like, a whole two chapters!

Yeah, but the original guy was asking for every enemy to also have Hawkeye+.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I must have missed the fixed growths option in the menu.

you get fixed growths when all of your numbers are green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm replaying FE7 on Hector mode and got to the desert map, but for some reason I can't find the Ocean Seal for Dart. Does it get moved in Hector normal mode?

Anatharon posted:

That sounds like it would be really really bad for Fire Emblem without drastic overhauls to everything else.

To clarify what I mean by this how would the game even be difficult without random chance, they really are not hard games with how fast your units get ridiculously powerful.

That's part of why I like Thracia 776, at least it's somewhat challenging. :shrug: