  • Post
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Forest snare the ever loving poo poo out of that hambeast. Also, use low threat heroes

Tengama posted:

If you are looking for hero spreads and not unlocking cards as you go I would say go with something like if you want each deck to have 2 spheres to play around with.

Dain - Thalin - Gimli

Eowyn - Denethor - Beravor

Aragorn - Theodred - Legolas

This would give all 3 decks an Attacker, a Defender and a decent opening questing power (9 with just starting heroes and includes Aragorn/Theodred Combo and the potential for more progress with Legolas) plus it would allow dwarf synergy to get a bit more bang out of allies. Problem is you won't have access to Eleanor this way but it gives you much better stats overall to deal with problems that come up and the attack power of the middle deck is a little low since it would be relying on Beravor as an attacker but the third deck gets Legolas to help with that in early game.

If you want mono-sphere decks to team up with a dual sphere deck then you can go with:

Eowyn - Frodo - Dunhere

Imrahil - Aragorn - Theodred

Lore and Tactics get Kinda screwed when Mono-sphering in the first cycle due to a lack of offensive or questing power but for Tactics at least you can do something like:

Brand - Legolas - Boromir

and that gives you 2 Ranged heroes to play around with and Brand has 2 willpower so he can contribute a little bit during the questing phase and Boromir is an Offensive and Defensive powerhouse if you have Gandalf and Spirit cards to help keep it from threating out.

Lore is Kinda tough to work with since their hero selection at that point isn't terribly grand, but if you wanted to team it with the tactics deck above to handle offense for it you could go with something like:

Glorfindel - Beravor - Bilbo

Use Beravor as your defender and Glorfindel as your quester and use Bilbo to initiate attacks for the Tactics Ranged people to join in on and if Beravor was used to defend you can then use Brands ability to ready Him and make use of his card draw. Beravor only has 2 def though so he will need burning Brand and maybe 1 or 2 of the Dunedain Warnings from the dual sphere to up his def.

Hope this helps.

Definitely helpful!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Zombie #246 posted:

How do I deal with the drat hill trolls in the second quest in the main LoTR set.

Figuring out how to get passed those assholes is practically a rite of passage for this game.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Zombie #246 posted:

How do I deal with the drat hill trolls in the second quest in the main LoTR set.

Keep your threat low and pray for a visit from Gandalf.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Azran posted:

Hey Conquest players, can you recommend me two good starter decks for a demo game (x3 Core)? Thanks.

Why not just play with the default x1 Core starters? They're more random, but new players usually prefer to see a wider variety of cards then a hyper-optimized deck.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Winning The Passage of Anduin - Killing the Hill Troll:

If tactics: get some feints. Citadel plate on Gimli, take a hit, smash back hard.
If Lore: Forest Snare.
If Spirit: Keep threat low till you have more dudes up. Specifically reducing threat.
If Leadership: Get allies up asap. Don't think I've gotten past it with pure leadership. Maybe sneak attack with Gandalf.
All: Gandalfs.

Stall as much as possible till you have the tools you need.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

admanb posted:

Why not just play with the default x1 Core starters? They're more random, but new players usually prefer to see a wider variety of cards then a hyper-optimized deck.

That's actually a really, really good point! Thanks.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Traxis Chronicles has some spoilers out for Zogwort's Curse, specifically the AM and Tau cards: http://traxischronicles.appspot.com/#!warhammer-conquest-news:2015-01-31-zogwort-s-curse-preview

I like all of those AM cards, they all appear to have a place in the game, though none of them stand out as real game changers. Tau gets some interesting stuff with their first real beefy unit in the Broadside, and an attachment that can actually be used by Shadowsun's ability! :toot:. Triggering a battle ability is also pretty interesting, and seems pretty powerful at its current cost.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 6, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Heavy Marker Drone instantly replaces Repulsor Field for me. I'd much rather do double damage against something that needs to die NOW than maybe do 2 points of damage whenever someone attacks my Fire Elite (because what else are you gonna put it on?). Broadside with Gun Drones is gonna be harsh, but 6cc units are going to be a hard sell regardless. I'm not sure whether I'd go with this or the Crisis. Tense Negotiations is bonkers on the planet that lets you deal 1 damage to enemy units at an adjacent planet or fully heals a unit or routs a unit or...basically, a really versatile card.

Steel Legion Chimera is a solid mid-cost unit. It'll likely take at least one hit, and it'll protect your other dudes at the same time. Staging Ground giving Ambush to 2cc or fewer units is pretty baller, too. And the fact you get to poo poo them out for free helps as well. Just a really solid card that's weirdly not Loyal, since it seems to be pretty goddamn good.

Edit: I guess Staging Ground doesn't make it free. Oops.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 6, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
God, every expansion for Conquest is so fuckin sexy. I think tense negotiations might be borderline too good though, some of the planet battle abilities are nuts and being able to set them off as an action whenever you feel like it seems extremely potent.

Tau seem to be the premier assassination deck now (aun shi I guess?) and Ragnar is obv really good at it too. Seems like they keep adding more stuff to kill warlords, which is a cool way to end games imo.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

[...]

For some reason I read Staging Ground as a deploy action, so nevermind what I said about it not being a gamechanger, that thing is bonkers. IG/Ork rush decks incoming.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

sirtommygunn posted:

For some reason I read Staging Ground as a deploy action, so nevermind what I said about it not being a gamechanger, that thing is bonkers. IG/Ork rush decks incoming.

You still have to play the Deploy Cost for the cards though, right?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

S.J. posted:

You still have to play the Deploy Cost for the cards though, right?

That'd make more sense, so it's going right back down to a good situational card for me if that's the case.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Unless I missed something I am surprised Thranduil and Halbarad are not heroes yet considering the amount of obscure and made up characters they have put out.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Halbarad is almost guaranteed to be in the next deluxe expansion, The Lost Realm. We're getting 2 Dunedain Heroes and one is Tactics Aragorn.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Epi Lepi posted:

Halbarad is almost guaranteed to be in the next deluxe expansion, The Lost Realm. We're getting 2 Dunedain Heroes and one is Tactics Aragorn.

Caaaaaaan't wait!
I'm staying up to date from here on out. Slowly back buying Ringmaker and what I have left in Against the Shadow.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

S.J. posted:

You still have to play the Deploy Cost for the cards though, right?

I'm pretty sure the Staging Ground ability replaces paying the deploy cost.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

admanb posted:

I'm pretty sure the Staging Ground ability replaces paying the deploy cost.

Compare its wording to how Shadowsun's wording is. Also you still pay for Ambush Platform (despite the attachment being 1 cheaper).

That being said, Ambush is a really strong ability. Fairly certain an Eager Recruit has won me planets a few times.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

admanb posted:

I'm pretty sure the Staging Ground ability replaces paying the deploy cost.

No, Deploy means you pay the cost. To replace playing the cost, it'd have to say "Put into play."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ChiTownEddie posted:

Caaaaaaan't wait!
I'm staying up to date from here on out. Slowly back buying Ringmaker and what I have left in Against the Shadow.

This game is so good but so hard if you're like me and play 4 player with everyone's decks built more for theme than power. 4 out of 5 quests we drop down to easy to get through it. Last night my friends and I tried the Dunland Trap and got our asses handed to us so bad.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was messing around in OCTGN trying out some decks in Solo and it's amazing how a) flexible and b) hard the game can be. I was testing a five heroes one deck variant, checking which option was more balanced (+1 encounter card? Only three heroes get resource tokens every turn? Take your top three heroes to set threat?) since I don't like the idea of two-handing and the game still felt fair, fun and would kick my rear end at every opportunity.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It really is amazing how I think I'll have a handle on the staging area when I commit to quest only to have like, 5 surge cards in a row come out in one go and totally gently caress up my plans, followed by realizing with growing horror that I am going to clear the stage and had not prepared for what the next stage brings. That game knows just how to punish you without it feeling like I didn't deserve it.

Max fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Max posted:

It really is amazing how I think I'll have a handle on the staging area when I commit to quest only to have like, 5 surge cards in a row come out in one go and totally gently caress up my plans, followed by realizing with growing horror that I am going to clear the stage and had not prepared for what the next stage brings. That game knows just how to punish you without it feeling like I didn't deserve it.

This was us in the Dunland Trap last night. Just so many surges and enemies.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Azran posted:

Unless I missed something I am surprised Thranduil and Halbarad are not heroes yet considering the amount of obscure and made up characters they have put out.

Until today I thought everything was canon. I'm surprised they need to make up characters considering how much material Tolkien wrote down.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Caleb mentioned in the CBOTR podcast that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, and IIRC they only recently got the rights for the movies? I'm surprised they haven't added the Woad men yet, or whatever their name was.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So Klaivex Warleader basically just reads "You win a planet" right? Because wow, gently caress those guys. It didn't help that I primed everything with a Dakka...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're pretty heavily telegraphed though. If they have 4 resources going into combat, make sure your big dudes don't have damage placed on them (if you can).

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Won a small Store Championship for Conquest today with a DE/Chaos deck.

Packmaster Kith

Army (28)
2x Baleful Mandrake
4x Kith's Khymeramasters
3x Klaivex Warleader
3x Murder of Razorwings
3x Rogue Trader
2x Rotten Plaguebearers
3x Splintered Path Acolyte
3x Sslyth Mercenary
2x Syren Zythlex
3x Void Pirate

Attachment (7)
1x Agonizer of Bren
3x Promotion
3x Suffering

Event (12)
3x Archon's Terror
2x Pact of the Haemonculi
2x Promise of Glory
3x Raid
2x Warpstorm

Support (3)
1x Archon's Palace
1x Khymera Den
1x Twisted Laboratory

Created with https://www.conquestdb.com

Deck performed remarkably throughout the day. Cato matchup is probably the roughest but drawing any or all of the three supports helps a lot. Promise of Glory and Pact of Haemonculus was especially evil, and Sslyth Merc's downside was never an issue with the low curve on top of multiple ways to durdle deploy actions. Rotten Plaguebearer plus Klaivex Warleader was another fun combo, though Rotten alone pulled his own weight.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

First Planet Podcast got spoilers for the Dark Eldar of Zogwort's Curse: http://firstplanet.podbean.com/

Dark Eldar:

- Cost 3 Event, Searing Brand, Shield 2, Tactic, Torture, Combat Action: Deal 3 unpreventable damage to a target non-Warlord unit at a planet with your Warlord. Your opponent may choose and discard 2 cards from his hand to cancel this effect.

- Cost 1 Support, Crucible of Maledictions, Reaction: After you play a Torture Event card, exhaust this Support to look at the top 3 cards of a deck, discard one of those cards and place the remaining cards on top of that deck in any order.

Look at all that torture love, DE is gonna be insane when they get their new warlord.

- Cost 2 Army, Bloodied Reavers, Command 1, 2/2, Vechicle, No Wargear, This unit gains +2 ATK while at a planet with a Warlord.

While DE do basically get the Tau Bork'an Recruits, it's nice to see them differentiated by making this card a vehicle.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I've gotten Tau and Eldar to click pretty well, so the next project is Orks! Going to try this. Trying to rely on dakka to clear low hp shitlords and procc brutal on all my high hp ork boyz.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Army Unit: (29)
4x Nazdreg’s Flash Gitz (Core Set)
2x Mekaniak Repair Krew (Gift of the Ethereals)
2x Rugged Killa Kans (Core Set)
2x Weirdboy Maniak (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
2x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
2x Attack Squig Herd (The Scourge)
3x Bad Dok (Core Set)
2x Crushface (Core Set)
2x Deathskull Lootas (The Howl of Blackmane)
3x Enraged Ork (Core Set)
2x Shoota Mob (Core Set)

1x Cybork Body (Core Set)
3x Rokkit Launcha (Core Set)
2x Promotion (Core Set)
2x Hostile Environment Gear (Core Set)

Event: (5)
2x Bigga is Betta (Core Set)
3x Dakka Dakka Dakka! (The Scourge)

Support: (8)
1x Kraktoof Hall (Core Set)
2x Kustom Field Generator (The Scourge)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)
2x Tellyporta Pad (Core Set)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How badly does the LOTR TCG break when you try five players? My group of friends has exactly that amount and is completely unwilling to divide itself. This is a problem for every single game I introduce.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

If you can make 5 workable decks, just try it a few times starting in Passage from Mirkwood. The problem is going to be the 5 encounter cards. Locations are hard to deal with when you have a lot, since you can only travel to one at a time - the trick here is to have a lot of northern trackers I guess or the like. Treachery cards can also ruin your day if they target more players they can effectively become a lot worse. Enemies are the easy cards generally since each player can deal with "their" one if you draw a lot of them. Some burdens get divided and are easier to handle with more players - e.g. the kidnapped player in the dol guldur quest, or sacks against the trolls in the hobbit. Some stuff is way worse with more players and a real pain, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Experiment I guess.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Azran posted:

Caleb mentioned in the CBOTR podcast that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, and IIRC they only recently got the rights for the movies? I'm surprised they haven't added the Woad men yet, or whatever their name was.

I wonder what they'll add from the movies. They seem to be doing well enough with the Saga Expansions. I know The Hobbit movies touched on things from the Silmarillion, but did the LotR films add any content from that book?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I wonder what they'll add from the movies. They seem to be doing well enough with the Saga Expansions. I know The Hobbit movies touched on things from the Silmarillion, but did the LotR films add any content from that book?

No, Lord of the Rings had enough content to fill three movies.

Tengama
Sep 6, 2011

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I wonder what they'll add from the movies. They seem to be doing well enough with the Saga Expansions. I know The Hobbit movies touched on things from the Silmarillion, but did the LotR films add any content from that book?

Maybe an Arwen Hero since she replaced Glorfindel in the movie but they already did that scene in The Black Riders, They could also make another version of Haldir and some new elf stuff for Helms Deep, and it would be a huge stretch but maybe army of the dead as a faction similar to Outlands. I think those are some of the bigger changes the movies made that could be somewhat translated to the card game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd hope they keep the saga expansions closer to the book considering they started it like that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Amoeba102 posted:

If you can make 5 workable decks, just try it a few times starting in Passage from Mirkwood. The problem is going to be the 5 encounter cards. Locations are hard to deal with when you have a lot, since you can only travel to one at a time - the trick here is to have a lot of northern trackers I guess or the like. Treachery cards can also ruin your day if they target more players they can effectively become a lot worse. Enemies are the easy cards generally since each player can deal with "their" one if you draw a lot of them. Some burdens get divided and are easier to handle with more players - e.g. the kidnapped player in the dol guldur quest, or sacks against the trolls in the hobbit. Some stuff is way worse with more players and a real pain, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Experiment I guess.

Yes - one recommendation I saw over SOMEWHERE was to permit two active locations at the same time to avoid location lock. Gonna experiment with that.

Also - besides Passage from Mirkwood and The Hunt for Gollum, which adventures are the most newbie friendly? The Anduin one in the Core set kicked my rear end both in Normal and Easy mode.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Tengama posted:

Maybe an Arwen Hero since she replaced Glorfindel in the movie but they already did that scene in The Black Riders, They could also make another version of Haldir and some new elf stuff for Helms Deep, and it would be a huge stretch but maybe army of the dead as a faction similar to Outlands. I think those are some of the bigger changes the movies made that could be somewhat translated to the card game.

I could see them doing the movie changes more as the Gencon/Worlds/Fellowship Events extra saga quests, lets them use that material while keeping the core releases true to the book.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Today I learned something really interesting - most heroes' initial threat is a sum of all their numerical attributes. Gandalf is 3 + 3 + 3 + 5 = 14, Gimli is 2 + 2 + 2 + 5 = 11, etc. The outliers are really obvious (Spirit Glorfindel), still pretty interesting to see how they weight the abilities.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Azran posted:

Caleb mentioned in the CBOTR podcast that they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, and IIRC they only recently got the rights for the movies? I'm surprised they haven't added the Woad men yet, or whatever their name was.

I don't think they have the movie rights actually. I wish they did though, there are a lot of nuts on the FFG forums who hate the movies and can't handle any variation from the lore. Like there was a dude who got mad that the Firefoot card looked like Eomers horse in the movies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How would you even play the saga expansions like that?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4