Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm leaning now towards D20 modern for this cyberpunk campaign since it's something I'm more familiar with, and seems to have a little bit fewer character creation steps than eclipse phase.

Two questions:

I was considering basically allowing the techno mage (from D20 Arcane) advanced class as a hacker, but I'd like to adapt it to something more like hacking (i.e computer use vs. wills saves), but I don't know how to do that without unbalancing things.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the D20 modern money system and was thinking of converting to straight money values. I found this table to use for item values, but would that mean I just use that for starting wealth as well?
So if a character has +3 wealth and I add 10 (to represent average rolls), they would start with only $275 start money at 1st level? That doesn't sound right.

edit: Then again, maybe it's a mistake to drop the wealth system.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Foolster41 posted:

Also, I'm not a big fan of the D20 modern money system and was thinking of converting to straight money values. I found this table to use for item values, but would that mean I just use that for starting wealth as well?
So if a character has +3 wealth and I add 10 (to represent average rolls), they would start with only $275 start money at 1st level? That doesn't sound right.

edit: Then again, maybe it's a mistake to drop the wealth system.

The wealth system was something that was a decent idea (abstracting modern wealth/money/credit/etc the way the game abstracts hit points) but was one of the many parts of d20Modern that wasn't put together well. I feel like it works well enough unless you have a player out to exploit it for all it's worth, but if I personally had any game design chops it'd be the first system that I'd try to rebuild.

As far as starting cash I'd say do it Iron Kingdom style: let the players just pick out a few pieces of gear appropriate to their character concept (within reason) and then just give them $500-1000 in walking around money to start with.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 5, 2015

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I am working up a Titanic adventure borrowing many parts of this old game: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic:_Adventure_Out_of_Time

I found a good deck layout of the entire ship and have access to a very large printer. I'm going to have 60" prints of each deck made, glued to wood, and populate it with train miniatures.

Will pre-make old characters each having different abilities (nothing magical) which they can choose from. Then when they go back in time they get the younger character sheet versions of themselves.

If it goes well I'll drop my maps and notes in here if people are interested.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I think I'll ask my players what they think when I actually get around to recruiting. One of my problems is trying to figure out how much gear changes the challange rating of enemies when I give them cybernetics (I want to have full cyborg decked out enemies.).

Now that i think about it, having class based hacking is a terrible idea, since it really limits things (and D20 modern seems already somewhat crippled in character growth). I think I'm going to go for a more pure skilled-based system, though I have no idea how that'd work, and I'd be open to suggestions.

c0ldfuse: This is a fascinating game concept.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Foolster41 posted:

I think I'll ask my players what they think when I actually get around to recruiting. One of my problems is trying to figure out how much gear changes the challange rating of enemies when I give them cybernetics (I want to have full cyborg decked out enemies.).

Now that i think about it, having class based hacking is a terrible idea, since it really limits things (and D20 modern seems already somewhat crippled in character growth). I think I'm going to go for a more pure skilled-based system, though I have no idea how that'd work, and I'd be open to suggestions.

c0ldfuse: This is a fascinating game concept.

Ignore challenge rating. Ignore it completely. The future is broken and trying to figure out how cyberwear or mutations or skill and feat implants interact with it will drive you insane.

If you're looking for more than "I computer use at it at +10" d20 modern doesn't do a great job with that. The VRnet stuff from Cyberscape could be a way to make it more interesting, but it falls into the "everyone has a minigame" problem Shadowrun has if only one person is "the hacker."

What sucks is I didn't get to Cyberscape during my attempt to homebrew the advanced classes into things that were actually fun to play and things you'd actually want to take otherwise I'd link it here.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

8one6 posted:

Ignore challenge rating. Ignore it completely. The future is broken and trying to figure out how cyberwear or mutations or skill and feat implants interact with it will drive you insane.

If you're looking for more than "I computer use at it at +10" d20 modern doesn't do a great job with that. The VRnet stuff from Cyberscape could be a way to make it more interesting, but it falls into the "everyone has a minigame" problem Shadowrun has if only one person is "the hacker."

What sucks is I didn't get to Cyberscape during my attempt to homebrew the advanced classes into things that were actually fun to play and things you'd actually want to take otherwise I'd link it here.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm thinking something like "I daze the guy" or "I take control of the guy to scout things out" (like Kusanagi does at the beginning of episode 1 of season 2 in Ghost in the shell stand alone complex) and rolling a die vs. the opponent's barrier (i.e. defenses). I think that'd be interesting enough, but I'm afraid without the limitations of uses per day it'd be too powerful.

edit: I guess the problem I'm having is, I probably want hacking to be somewhat specialized (i.e. requiring a class), but not so specialized (i.e requiring 3 classes in smart the technomage adv. class) that doing interesting combinations such as a more fighty hacker (like Bato or Major Kusinagi) who are less hacker skilled than a pure hacker isn't feasible.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 5, 2015

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
So playing 5th for about 10 sessions, and my group is heading towards a "stopping" point. By which I mean they've finished a big dungeon after getting locked in a separate dungeon (they wanted to go back and full clear the 1st one). So they haven't had a lot of time to offload their gear and buy new stuff.

They're going to be level 7 and they're pretty loot/battle driven, does anyone have any advice about how to reward players without having to worry about power creep? 5th is a lot more restrictive on magic items, and I feel like they should be level 10 before they hit the +2 modifiers.

My current plan was to have them return a quest item to a Sorcerer who just happens to have his well off magical merchant buddy by for tea so they can sell/buy some items.

I was also planning on doing a "Previous Tier" Wrap-Up to close plot threads and just give a general sense of what happened in the campaign so far.

Is that a good plan? I feel like I've taken the story telling reins lately and I thought it would be cool to poll some ideas of what the group would like to do next.

In recapping the campaign I thought I could do a: "This is where your character was, this is where they find themselves now, where do they want to go?" but I'm sure that will lead to six divergent ideas.

This feels very rambley so I guess I'll just sum up:

-How do people deal with item level transitions?
-What's a good procedure for "break" sessions, and how do you reignite the adventuring fire?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Gravybong posted:

I have a dungeon idea that needs a bit of spice added: I have the main idea of it and sort of the "boss chamber" down, but I need a couple extra rooms just so it's a little less...one-note.

... a hellish otherworld, overgrown with plantlife and strange biomass, that's somehow made up of a part of the original reality, but is either letting a part of a different universe in, or might be the original reality in a future timeline or something, that part is deliberately vague. I want the dungeon to focus on reality breaking; physics and geometry not working quite right (but still relatively functional), unreliable sensory perception, that sort of thing.

Okay, you can do a lot with someplace where the walls and floor are alive. Here's some starter ideas:
- A room absolutely coated in colorful flowers, that fill the air with fragrance. There's a hive of mutant bees who are very protective of the room, but if the party thinks to use smoke to drive them off, they can avoid an encounter. Some of the flowers are rare and valuable potion ingredients, and the honey in the hive acts as several doses of a potion. Reality breaks because the flowers are growing out of the walls and ceiling, and you can walk along them without regard for normal gravity. There's a few harmless snakes the party can watch to find this out.

- A lake with a bunch of giant lily pads floating in the air over the water. If you can jump from one to the next, you can climb up to the next floor. An enormous froglike monster lurks in the water, popping up and down and spitting explosive bubbles at PCs nearby. Maybe it tries to topple a pad over with its tongue when the party starts climbing.

- A living room that reshapes every time nobody is in it, opening some paths and closing others. Alien organs pulse audibly beneath the floor, and there's a tooth-filled pit leading down into darkness. If the party throws food in, the room reshapes while they're still in it, maybe to a more useful configuration. If they somehow kill it, the room stops morphing, opening all entrances.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My Star Wars players want to take out a Hutt. My first thought was "Hutt palace raid" but aside from "how do we get in", it sounds like some repetitive sneaking and/or fights. My second thought was "sail barge", since there's the threat of being knocked off. I feel that may be too obvious/cliche, though. Any other bright ideas? Downhill slalom gun battle? Sinking ship? I want something memorable to close out this narrative arc.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Okay, you can do a lot with someplace where the walls and floor are alive. Here's some starter ideas:
- A room absolutely coated in colorful flowers, that fill the air with fragrance. There's a hive of mutant bees who are very protective of the room, but if the party thinks to use smoke to drive them off, they can avoid an encounter. Some of the flowers are rare and valuable potion ingredients, and the honey in the hive acts as several doses of a potion. Reality breaks because the flowers are growing out of the walls and ceiling, and you can walk along them without regard for normal gravity. There's a few harmless snakes the party can watch to find this out.

- A lake with a bunch of giant lily pads floating in the air over the water. If you can jump from one to the next, you can climb up to the next floor. An enormous froglike monster lurks in the water, popping up and down and spitting explosive bubbles at PCs nearby. Maybe it tries to topple a pad over with its tongue when the party starts climbing.

- A living room that reshapes every time nobody is in it, opening some paths and closing others. Alien organs pulse audibly beneath the floor, and there's a tooth-filled pit leading down into darkness. If the party throws food in, the room reshapes while they're still in it, maybe to a more useful configuration. If they somehow kill it, the room stops morphing, opening all entrances.

this is all excellent, they actually got to this area last session but immediately went to the central chamber so they haven't quite seen the whole thing yet, meaning I can slide some of these on without much problem! the flowers one actually lines up with some plot points.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
He's a security-minded Hutt and he doesn't appear in public often, but his reputation would be ruined if he wasn't present at Space Mardi Gras and his float wasn't the most lavish and extravagant of all the floats there. There's a huge parade with dancers and everyone's on all the drugs and the streets are absolutely crammed as his float passes through the street and he literally throws money into the crowds.

But just because he has to show up doesn't mean he's stupid. His float is riddled with concealed gun emplacements and high-powered engines in case he has to make a quick getaway, and the festively-costumed dancers on his float are all highly-trained mercenaries whose costumes conceal a vast array of very sharp things.

E: Also, since this is the only time he's vulnerable, another team of mercs have picked this as their opportunity to take him alive, kidnap him, and ransom him off.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 6, 2015

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

My Star Wars players want to take out a Hutt. My first thought was "Hutt palace raid" but aside from "how do we get in", it sounds like some repetitive sneaking and/or fights. My second thought was "sail barge", since there's the threat of being knocked off. I feel that may be too obvious/cliche, though. Any other bright ideas? Downhill slalom gun battle? Sinking ship? I want something memorable to close out this narrative arc.

A Star Wars fight with gangsters would be great in a sleazy, neon-lit, cantina with dancers, musicians, and all sorts of low-lives toting restricted weapons.

edit: Space Mardi Gras comes after Life Day

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whybird posted:

Space Mardi Gras

Hutt's Mardi Gras float is actually really suped up and kick-rear end, and the PCs find themselves in an action-packed high speed chase with a loving parade float that keeps attacking their vehicle(s) with weaponized fireworks and mercenaries in a mascot costumes. Eventually, the float crashes, and the party must contend with the Hutt, who is piloting an adorable, stylized cartoon version of himself in cybernetic exo-suit form, capable of shooting assorted candy at velocities exceeding 1200 ft/s.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It's also loving Space Mardi Gras so figuring out how to get into a fight in public and then get away cleanly is a huge concern when the entire place is filled with drunk partiers, tons of witnesses, police, and more importantly, innocent bystanders. It becomes more than just "kill the Hutt and GTFO" when the Hutt isn't afraid to start tossing bombs into the crowd around the float.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Holy cow does this thread ever deliver. This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted -- something much better than "kill the Hutt and GTFO", with fewer-but-more-memorable combats. I am totally using the dancing sharks from the Super Bowl halftime show as some of the costumed gangsters.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Won't it be fun when the PCs steal someone's costume to get close to the Hutt, while another batch of mercs steal the players costumes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1ZeWEacV0

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

So for the cyberpunk RPG what I'm considering doing is creating a new smart class talent "Hacker" that grants a number of uses of hacks (basically the spells), equal to that of a technomage.

It feels like it'd be too strong then if the character just gains new uses every smart level (or would it?), so I'm thinking you take the talent again when you can to gain more uses, and maybe each talent is worth 2 levels of uses (so you start with 3 0th level and 1 st level, then the second time gain one more use of 0th and 1st and also 1 2nd level etc.) . Hacks are limited per day, but if they miss they can be used again the same day, but not that encounter.

Does that sound like it makes sense? Too powerful? Too weak?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I can't comment on the balance, but the description sounds like it'll have exactly the same problem D&D has in general with magic - it's not magical or special, just a time-limited resource.

I'd go for something along the lines of "sure you can do [insert special leet hacking skillz], but you'll need to [get a manager to say 'dolphin' / obtain retinal scans / steal her car keys] first". That way everyone gets to help with that part of the game, and the hacker becomes more like a fixer, social engineer, than a wind-up toy.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Personally I thought it was something 4E (and for that matter 13th age) does well with limited powers that gave players interesting things to do.

That said if hackers only really have this (as D20 modern seems more close to 3.5E than 4E), this might tell me I'm better off going more for a re-skin of 4E, though I have a feeling that's going to also require a lot of work to do.

Edit: Hmm. Speaking of 4E modern, Has anyone heard of this fan-made 4E modern rules? I'm going to look into this more. Thoughts?

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, I'm going to run a 6-8 hour one shot of Mouse Guard. I have never run a burning wheel game before. What should I run? What do I need to remember (that first time GMs would be likely to forget)?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a good system out there that captures the feel of magic-use from the Wheel of Time series? I mean a lot of it (most of it) can just be done as added flavor, but I'm looking for something a little more ingrained.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DalaranJ posted:

So, I'm going to run a 6-8 hour one shot of Mouse Guard. I have never run a burning wheel game before. What should I run? What do I need to remember (that first time GMs would be likely to forget)?

drat, at that length you could do a full recruitment session, but I think I would avoid it. Walk in with a few pregens, allow some tweaks, and that will leave you enough time to do several GM/PC cycles. Print out a map of the territories, put it in the middle of the table, and keep a pawn where the players are.

From what I've heard lots of people forego the strict phases of the game. I think you should keep them. The heart of the system is tests, and the Guard are not going to survive tests unless they work together. Keeping a hard PC phase, where you take your players up to the test right away, will keep them focused on working together to overcome the test rather than getting sidetracked on what the test should be. After those tests, they'll have their own phase where they can figure out how to recover (which will absolutely result in more tests!). If it doesn't seem to be working, you can always loosen up as you play.

I ran a 3 or 4 session mini-campaign a few years ago. The mission started at Lockhaven in the very first of spring. They were directed by Gwendolyn to:
Travel to Pebblebrook at haste to deliver the first mail to the frontlines (Deliver the Mail adventure)
Travel south along the Darkheather Tunnels and repair the scent border as necessary (weasels!)
Pick up elixer at Sprucetuck and convince them to increase their production for Lockhaven

The Patrol Leader received these orders, sealed, and was only supposed to open the next when the last was fulfilled. I made sure at least one other guardmember didn't like secrets/wanted direct action/distrusted the Patrol Leader/whatever

Sorry, the other point is that you should not shy away from intraparty conflict. The system handles it beautifully. Mouse Guard offers a wide range of ways to resolve conflict. If your players are only used to drawing swords, make sure you hit them with types of conflicts beyond Fight during the GM phases so they realize what they can do. Especially Argument and Speech.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

fosborb posted:

drat, at that length you could do a full recruitment session, but I think I would avoid it. Walk in with a few pregens, allow some tweaks, and that will leave you enough time to do several GM/PC cycles. Print out a map of the territories, put it in the middle of the table, and keep a pawn where the players are.

From what I've heard lots of people forego the strict phases of the game. I think you should keep them.

I'm planning to go by the book because I want to run Torchbearer later this year, and I'm fully aware how much more complicated it is, so this is a Burning Wheel training session.

I want to be sure to hit the belief system some in our session. Should I plan that into tests/conflicts or just improvise into it?

Oh, and the book seems to imply that the GM determines what test obstacles should exist, do I just do that directly like, "The river is flooded you have to make a Pathfinder 5 to ford it." or do I say "The river is flooded, how do you want to get across?" and then give them the obstacle when they decide on a strategy?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DalaranJ posted:

I'm planning to go by the book because I want to run Torchbearer later this year, and I'm fully aware how much more complicated it is, so this is a Burning Wheel training session.

I want to be sure to hit the belief system some in our session. Should I plan that into tests/conflicts or just improvise into it?

Oh, and the book seems to imply that the GM determines what test obstacles should exist, do I just do that directly like, "The river is flooded you have to make a Pathfinder 5 to ford it." or do I say "The river is flooded, how do you want to get across?" and then give them the obstacle when they decide on a strategy?

I'd improvise into the beliefs. I kept a reference handy that was "these are the tests" and "these are the beliefs/instincts in play" to give you an idea of how often I thought about them in play. (constantly)

Take them to the river. This is super railroady compared to what I'm used to in other systems, but give them a very defined obstacle during your phase: here is your mission; you walk for a bit; oh no big rear end river; figure out how to cross this big rear end river.

Then let them hem and haw about how to cross it. Whoever comes up with the idea that is used roles the dice on their skills (with copious help, hopefully). Reminder here that failures are good too and introduce interesting twists. The important thing is trying.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I recently started an RPG with several friends, of which most have never played.

I have a person in our group who I would classify as a belligerent player, however in discussing it with the other people in the 5-person + 1-GM group it's split on opinions--the other half feel like she really gets into the game and are glad she does what she does--while I think she just dominates it by asserting herself unnecessarily and often playing out of turn.

Ultimately I'm not GMing this campaign and the current GM is fine with how she plays, so it is what it is and I accept that. However I will be GMing the campaign in two sessions and will be trying to figure out the best way to handle her.

I'm not saying there is a "right" way to play, however I feel like there is more depth in the game if people are encouraged for creativity vs run into battle hack and slash. And truth be told her methods won't work in my game as it's different than what we're currently playing.

I'm going to talk to her about it, which should solve the issue--however if she does start getting rowdy what can I do as the GM to pull her back? One thing I will do is be more forceful than the current GM in enforcing turn based actions, which sucks but I don't know how else to reign it back so it's not her game with the rest being quiet and following along.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You've honestly got the right idea. Just by talking to her beforehand, you've got a leg up on the worst DMs. And the best method for someone trying to steal the spotlight is really just hold up a hand and say "I'll get back to you in a moment, but first we need to know what Torvald is doing. Torvald?"

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I've ran, and will be running in the near futur games with fail-forward/partial successes and failure mechanics, of which I'm a pretty big fan, like Edge of the Empire, by FFG. However, I'm afraid of not being reactive enough to be good with that kind of things and finding interesting alternatives. :ohdear: Does someone has advices or resources for that kind of thing?

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Hello, I'm about to start my first campaign as a DM. I've got one player who wants to run a paladin that gets corrupted/turns Oathbreaker and betrays the party. Unbeknownst to him, the main premise of the campaign is that a cult is attempting to help resurrect a cthulu type Old One, so the corruption idea does have its place in the campaign (and already happened to important NPCs).

However, I'm not really sure how to make PC betrayal "fun" for everyone else. Is this something I should just tell him to forget about, or are there some guidelines I can follow to make sure this works out well? Although most of the group is experienced, both this player and I are pretty new to trpgs. I assume at the least I would have to take over his character after the betrayal and he'd have to reroll a new one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DrOgreface posted:

Hello, I'm about to start my first campaign as a DM. I've got one player who wants to run a paladin that gets corrupted/turns Oathbreaker and betrays the party. Unbeknownst to him, the main premise of the campaign is that a cult is attempting to help resurrect a cthulu type Old One, so the corruption idea does have its place in the campaign (and already happened to important NPCs).

However, I'm not really sure how to make PC betrayal "fun" for everyone else. Is this something I should just tell him to forget about, or are there some guidelines I can follow to make sure this works out well? Although most of the group is experienced, both this player and I are pretty new to trpgs. I assume at the least I would have to take over his character after the betrayal and he'd have to reroll a new one.

The character will be out after the betrayal and become a GM-run character permanently. The betrayal should not have an effect on anything mechanical - it should exist purely in the realm of the dramatic (i.e. no loss of any equipment or access to any resources or abilities). Follow these two suggestions and it might work out.

What you're trying to prevent is: the player just wants to gently caress over the other players/be a dick and wants your buy-in to do it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DrOgreface posted:

It's a big red flag when somebody comes in wanting to betray the party. Your best bet is to have the players know, even though their characters don't.. Your second best bet is to tell that player to wait, because after this story arc has run its course, you'll play Paranoia. The suggestion above could also work, but might still leave the other players mad since they didn't know they were playing a game with secrets. Everything else is really asking for an unfun experience.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DrOgreface posted:

I think you should just be open about it to the whole group in a "here's a thing coming up on the horizon" way, and use some kind of Inspiration mechanic to reward the party with floating, spendable bonuses/rerolls/whatever when the Oathbreaker does something devious, and the rest of the PCs find some way to blame it on something else, until the actual turning point occurs.

That way, everybody gets a game-mechanical reward when they participate in the Oathbreaker's fall from grace, despite it being probably not a great situation to head into, and the game is richer for the various things that transpire in the combination of Oathbreaker doing shady stuff and the party not realizing it was him, or dealing "justice" to the person that he framed for the act.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

DrOgreface posted:

Just know that you're walking a fine line. The odds are already stacked against The Party and they need to work as a team and are relying on the power of friendship etc to save the day, so having a betrayer makes the situation more hopeless than your players might be able to handle.

It would help if it were foreshadowed. Maybe have a hermit say "one of you will betray the others", but that just might make everyone turn on one another. You could ask the Paladin to be really obvious in his descent. If he's acts like a real jerk, The Party might rally together in their disdain yet keep him around as long as he's useful and not openly hostile.

In the end, if the good party members win, the evil player will be disappointed. If the evil player wins, then the rest of the table is disappointed. What you want is the bad guy wins first, and then the good guys win.

Also be aware that having a character run opposite of the party will likely put a damper on planning and brainstorming since every plan will have to be more moderate and rational enough that the bad guy will agree to go along with it.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Make everyone be grown-ups, and make sure everyone is on the same page with the idea of a PC betraying the rest of the group. If someone doesn't want it, you don't do it. If you don't think your players can separate their characters being tricked with the player foreknowledge that it's coming, don't do it.

Also, do you expect that when the betrayal happens, that character will still travel with the rest of the group? I sure don't. Now either the rest of the group gangs up on the traitor and kills him, you turn him into an NPC villain (same result, that player has to make a new dude) or you now split attention with two simultaneous, antagonistic campaigns where one guy gets to be the special snowflake and everyone else is a bunch of chumps that got tricked.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Iceclaw posted:

I've ran, and will be running in the near futur games with fail-forward/partial successes and failure mechanics, of which I'm a pretty big fan, like Edge of the Empire, by FFG. However, I'm afraid of not being reactive enough to be good with that kind of things and finding interesting alternatives. :ohdear: Does someone has advices or resources for that kind of thing?

If you can't think of something, ask your players. "Okay, you succeed but it's created a new problem -- what's gone wrong?" is a perfectly acceptable question to be asking players on a regular basis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When I didn't know better I once played the betrayer character. It was the DM's idea and plan and there was no foreshadowing or OOC planning.

It seemed like a good idea right up until the reveal. I looked around and realized everyone had instantly lost part of their interest in their characters and the game, because all that adventuring and pulling through adversity together had apparently all along been in service to a plot twist that was hackneyed even in our first RPG ventures. For the rest of the game there was definitely a sense of just going through the motions. You can kill an NPC traitor, when there's a PC traitor you're more or less at the mercy of what that player and the DM choose. It was an awful idea all around and I should have shut it down immediately and said, nah man, I just wanna play a weird magic conman who goes on an adventure with his buddies.

e: I can't stress enough that it seemed like a perfectly good and fun idea exactly until the moment I realized it was incredibly obviously the opposite.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You don't necessarily need to spoil who the betrayer is before it happens, but you should at least gather everyone and directly ask them "Are you okay with the idea of one PC betraying the rest of the party and becoming a villain?" If you're concerned about spoilers you can tell them that it's not definitely going to happen in this particular campaign, but you need to gauge their attitudes for it before you pull it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It takes a really skilled roleplayer to pull off an evil PC without having the party turn against them. You can't just run contrary to the party every time they want to do something noble. There is subtlety involved. Not every evil character is sawing babies in half on the steps of a church.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

When I didn't know better I once played the betrayer character. It was the DM's idea and plan and there was no foreshadowing or OOC planning.

It seemed like a good idea right up until the reveal. I looked around and realized everyone had instantly lost part of their interest in their characters and the game, because all that adventuring and pulling through adversity together had apparently all along been in service to a plot twist that was hackneyed even in our first RPG ventures. For the rest of the game there was definitely a sense of just going through the motions. You can kill an NPC traitor, when there's a PC traitor you're more or less at the mercy of what that player and the DM choose. It was an awful idea all around and I should have shut it down immediately and said, nah man, I just wanna play a weird magic conman who goes on an adventure with his buddies.

e: I can't stress enough that it seemed like a perfectly good and fun idea exactly until the moment I realized it was incredibly obviously the opposite.

The flip side of that was one that actually worked out pretty well: an NPC came in and the players being the way they were, they never trusted him, they always KNEW, DEEP DOWN, that he was the betrayer, even though he never did anything to imply in any way that he was and they were JUST trusting enough to keep him around (never ever ever FORCE an NPC on your players). But that was just it, he was TOO squeaky clean. Except one guy in the party was always willing to just take it at face value, and when the NPC finally died on the party's behalf, all the untrusting party members were shouting "Oh man I knew he was on our side the whole time! What a nice guy." and that one voice who had been saying that the whole time was flipping his poo poo (in a good way) at the party because "YOU ASSHOLES NEVER LISTENED YOU WERE SAYING THE EXACT OPPOSITE OMG". So it was basically the best kind of intra-party strife. :3:

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Thanks for all the sound advice everyone. I bet losing control of his PC after the betrayal would be enough for him to come up with a different character concept. If he still wants to go ahead with it, I'll ask every other player about it first, and be very careful about how it happens in game. But I don't think it's likely to go anywhere given the restrictions I would put on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

DrOgreface posted:

Thanks for all the sound advice everyone. I bet losing control of his PC after the betrayal would be enough for him to come up with a different character concept. If he still wants to go ahead with it, I'll ask every other player about it first, and be very careful about how it happens in game. But I don't think it's likely to go anywhere given the restrictions I would put on it.

To add to what I said earlier, this is exactly what you do. The moment he's exposed as a betrayer is the moment he becomes an NPC under the DM's control. Make sure the player is aware of this and agrees way beforehand to this bargain. Otherwise, no deal.

It probably wouldn't hurt to also lay it out in black and white and say to your players OOC "Guys, don't feel too bad. You will get your revenge."