Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What ever happened to there being one on Cleveland's 50-year title drought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I didn't really care for Rand U for the same reasons everyone mentioned. However, I found 'Big Shot' really interesting because I knew nothing about the Islanders and how someone almost pulled buying a franchise with no money.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm very interested in the Russian one. This ain't exactly a hot take, but I feel like the NHL was a poorer place from not being able to have some of the best Russians of the 70's and 80's. I sometimes wonder how many scoring titles Valery Kharlamov could have won, or how many Vezinas Tretiak could have won.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kibner posted:

Dang, aren't those films all some of the better ones? Pretty hype, in that case.

Yea Hock is really loving good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

soggybagel posted:

What's this Russian look at the miracle on ice? I didn't see it on their webpage?

There's absolutely nothing out there on it apparently. I just did a Yahoo search for "Of Miracles and Men", with "30 for 30" and/or "ESPN" added on in separate searches.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
There's also supposed to be one about the Von Erich wrestling family that hasn't had any updated news about it for over 6 months.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oof, I don't know if I can watch a Von Erich one

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you have WWE Network there is a great doc on WCCW that covers the Von Erichs extensively. It's actually really good and sad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Brothers in Exile is really really good. Very interesting story.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Awful Announcing posted this on Of Miracles and Men: http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/new-30-30-will-examine-soviet-side-miracle-ice.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHAT THE HELL WHY IS SILLY BEARDFACE DROOPY VOICE CHUCK KLOSTERMAN ROLLED OUT ON MULTIPLE 30 FOR 30S

e: I don't have any interest in tennis, but I'm watching the Jimmy Connors one and he is hulking up against McEnroe's Brother and I that is an incredible fist pump game he's got going.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Because he is sometimes a sports writer and has lived through most of them?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because he is sometimes a sports writer and has lived through most of them?

Plus he has had a relationship with Simmons for a long time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that was less a why from a logistical and practical standpoint and more of a why as in why is this happening to me

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Klosterman is the world's biggest goober but he works in the context of something like You Don't Know Bo. He's basically a professional goon.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hand Row posted:

Plus he has had a relationship with Simmons for a long time.
I don't like this mental image...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I thought The U part 2 was bad.

It was an interesting follow-up to The U, but of course like most of these docs, its a bunch of revisionist history. One person even said that the 2001 Miami team would have made the NFL Playoffs. I understand people say this all the time when a college team is really good, but I'm not sure how a team that barely beat an unranked Boston College quarterbacked by one Brian St. Pierre could win enough games in the NFL to make the playoffs.

That and how they actually tried to whitewash those Miami teams like they were nothing like the Miami teams of the 80's. Meanwhile one of their players gets straight up murdered and guy being interviewed says if he'd been there it wouldn't have happened because he always had his gun on him. Yeah, bunch of saints compared to the old Miami. Oh don't forget picking a fight with Florida at a strip club in New Orleans! Then they turn the whole Nevin Shapiro thing into an attack on the NCAA. I love an attack on the NCAA as much as the next guy but it doesn't absolve Miami of any of the egregious things that took place either.

Then they end the documentary talking about how there's no place like The U and how they don't know another place where everyone is like a family and :jerkbag: Please....it is no more or less special than any other of the hundreds of schools people say that same exact poo poo about.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

The U part 2 was baaaaad. The first one is so perfect

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Not sure how many watched the really awesome Nine for IX called No Limits, about freediver Audrey Mestre but a) watch it because it owns and b) they're making a film about it with Jennifer Lawrence as Mestre. Francis Lawrence (the recent two Hunger Games films) is directing and James Cameron is producing. Cameron spent time with Mestre's husband in the past.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://youtu.be/P4DLvI6LehE

If you can't wait for the 30 for 30 about the Soviet side of the miracle game, this doc about the Red Army is releasing now, hosted by Slava Fetisov and produced by Werner Herzog. It looks fantastic.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

http://youtu.be/P4DLvI6LehE

If you can't wait for the 30 for 30 about the Soviet side of the miracle game, this doc about the Red Army is releasing now, hosted by Slava Fetisov and produced by Werner Herzog. It looks fantastic.

I hope there's Herzog narration: I've read hockey is a game of great skill, grace, and courage. But when I look at it what I see is ice murder.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Of Miracles and Men premiering now on ESPN. It re-airs on ESPN2 at 11:00PM Eastern.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I totally forgot that the Soviets beat the U.S. 10-3 right before the start of the Olympics. The highlights from that game :stare:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So far, so good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Show more of Fetisov's daughter.

Seriously though, this has been worth the wait so far. Mother Russia really did build themselves a hockey juggernaut.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"What did you think when the Soviets pulled Tretiak?"

"I am a figure skating coach."

:laugh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Show more of Fetisov's daughter.

Seriously though, this has been worth the wait so far. Mother Russia really did build themselves a hockey juggernaut.
I approve.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Were you in Lake Placid for the Olympics?"

"I won the Gold Medal!"

Oops.

e- I love the tone taken by the Soviet PBP guy. It's what I'd expect of North Korea's radio broadcast: "What a tremendous effort by our glorious team! What heroism! What camaraderie! Such a triumph!" :ussr:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Were you in Lake Placid for the Olympics?"

"I won the Gold Medal!"

Oops.
The questions for that woman have not been all that great.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Soviet PBP guy was defeated with 11 minutes to go.

"8 minutes, 5 seconds...until we go to the firing squad..." :smith:

"And with that, we end our commentary. This is Nikolai Orezov, defecting to the United States."

No, Slava. "No goal, third place at best."

e- And god drat, the Canadians were some cheap-shotting SOBs in those early Canada/USSR challenges.

e2- Dumbasses at ABC showed the outcome of the game before the tape-delayed telecast was on.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 9, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Bobby Clarke is a piece of poo poo. Soviets, Americans, Koreans, you name it and he'll slash them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Boris, I think it's time you retire."

God drat. Never mind that you changed goalies after the first period, which might've had an impact. Just tell the captain to hang 'em up.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The Scott Arniel of the USSR.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tretiak would retire to defect to England and become a spy with MI6 in the late 1980s.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The Scott Arniel of the USSR.

"Just keep piling it on..."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

An important thing I just learned: apparently Soviet hockey training involved throwing shoulder checks into trees.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Guys I'm starting to think that Soviet government officials were dicks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well of course Gary Bettman would try to tell Fetisov that he couldn't take the Stanley Cup to Moscow because "criminals".

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Not bad, not bad at all.

I had forgotten that Fetisov didn't defect and had the chance, I had assumed he did like almost everyone else. I'd love to get my hands on an English translation of one of Tasarov's books, but they're insanely priced on Amazon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

An important thing I just learned: apparently Soviet hockey training involved throwing shoulder checks into trees.

Improvisational dancing on skates, too!

Retail Slave posted:

Guys I'm starting to think that Soviet government officials were dicks.

"Yes, Slava, you can go to America if you ween us the Gold."

(Wins Gold)

"PSYCHE! Haha, see? Is joke because you belong to Mother Russia!" :ussr:

"Do you want to sign contract with Lou? He is here. OF COURSE YOU DON'T! We bug his room to make sure you stay or else." :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Oh man that silence when the game ended and the Russian broadcaster signing off the broadcast :(

• Locked thread