Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

Judging by the posts in this thread, it seems I'm going to have to break my personal rule of "no paying for easy access games" and buy this one.

Seriously, this was me and I don't regret my purchase at all. A friend sold it to me on the basis that I always had a ton of stories from my XCOM soldiers and this would give me the same sort of narrative - something she was dead on with. My characters are already developing little personalities of their own and I've got a nifty little story running with little more than combat behaviour and some poorly/greatly timed barks to go on.

I feel sorry for my crusader. There are no other tanks in the roster right now and he spends his time in town sobbing and crying to himself about what he's seen, begging me not to send him back. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Floodkiller posted:

I do see the point in making sure that challenges stay relevant instead of being able to grind past them, but I would really like to take some of my favorite characters on lower level quests as well when I accidentally spend too much money and don't have enough for gear (instead of just throwing a pack of 4 off the wagon into a quest with no gear and leaving before they wipe, then firing them all). Maybe they could make it so that, if a higher level character goes on a quest, they suffer extra stress if things go wrong (since they are 'supposedly' too good for it)?

Or do a reverse of the way the game handles lower level people on higher level quests. Have higher level characters talk about how bored they are all the time on lower level quests. Have them complain about how the loot being found isn't worth poo poo or the mission isn't important. Have these comments increase the stress of everyone in the party to the point that it feels slightly detrimental to have higher level people with you in some situations.

They could also introduce new quirks like "Born Leader" or "Poor Leader" that curb/exacerbate those negatives.

The kind of ham-handed way they're doing it now just feels like, "You can't because we said you can't, alright!" and that's not satisfying. It would be better if they were able to accomplish a similar concept using systems already in the game.

In this hypothetical system, it would be neat if I could put stress-relieving camp skills on a few characters, and have the party balance out. Like, this veteran guy is real personally lovely, but these other characters are good at relieving stress while camping so it balances out.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, one of my highwaymen has just been accruing every single awesome buff, nothing but Crit, Bleed, and Accuracy traits, I'm still using the starter Crusader (Reynauld) who has like a handful of negatives that don't really affect combat besides Klepto, don't wanna get rid of him though because of the Big HP trait he has.

So far have only done the first 3 missions available in the Ruins, leveling up guys and the town stuff. Only have had a Jester die thus far since I've played smart with Abandon/retreat (though only ever had to retreat once.) Haven't tried Leper or Grave Robber yet. I think really the big things that stick out for me lately are 1) Scouting is an underrated skill to have buffs to, it really helps if you want to avoid certain battles when you're going insane/starving, and 2) trying to figure out if things like Dazzling Light and Bulwark might be used to cheese Light gain. I'm thinking it doesn't really, since it won't add as much as a Torch will, and eats up a turn you could have used doing a Smite or a heal.

I like the little internal story with my Vestral, who refuses to do any chapel-related things, thinks she is a saint, and also believes herself to be possessed. Absolute nutjob.

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

Really enjoying what they have so far, though I'm still trying to figure out how to boost speed so every round doesn't start with my party getting smacked around too much. The narrator is awesome, not sure how I missed this in the KS craze.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I found that Hellions are loving ridiculous.

Ability to AoE 3 targets at once, effectively ignore blight/bleed, and massive single-target damage + Bleed?

Sign me up. My preferred party comp is an Occultist in back and three Hellions.

Maybe it's just at low levels, but I have no problem hitting with Break Through when I'm starting a fight, and will miss every time I need a clutch save. It really suffers from low accuracy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DarkStryke posted:

Really enjoying what they have so far, though I'm still trying to figure out how to boost speed so every round doesn't start with my party getting smacked around too much. The narrator is awesome, not sure how I missed this in the KS craze.

The jester's battle ballad is good for that.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Akumos posted:

What's a really cheesy comp for early game? I still can't figure out how not to struggle. :(

Two crusaders up front with the stress heal and a Vestall in back. Get fights down to one mob you can out heal and you can use the two crusaders to get everyone's stress back to zero. Third slot can be whatever you want.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Uh, how the hell do you camp? I just did my first medium mission and didn't see an option to do it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I feel like I'm either incredibly lucky or I'm better at this game than I think I am. I keep doing the trick where you send out squads of brand new heroes on suicide runs to farm for gold but [i]they keep coming back without a scratch![i/] I'm sending people out with basically no thought to their organization or viability in combat, and with the bare minimum of supplies (4-8 food, 5-8 torches, a shovel and some keys), and almost every time they all make it back alive and with less than 50% stress. I'm starting to feel really guilty about dismissing these people for doing a loving sterling job :smith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Akumos posted:

Uh, how the hell do you camp? I just did my first medium mission and didn't see an option to do it.

Right click the bundle of firewood in your inventory.

E: This can only be done in a room, not in a hallway.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellion/Hellion/Highwayman/Vestal is a pretty silly combo for anything that isn't a boss, so far. If you surprise the monsters you generally clear the entire group before they get to act, and you're tanky enough to not really care about much otherwise. Those 3-space AOE abilities really are something else.

You could probably go with a Jester in the last spot too, for the accuracy buffing. Or an occultist.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I feel like I'm either incredibly lucky or I'm better at this game than I think I am. I keep doing the trick where you send out squads of brand new heroes on suicide runs to farm for gold but [i]they keep coming back without a scratch![i/] I'm sending people out with basically no thought to their organization or viability in combat, and with the bare minimum of supplies (4-8 food, 5-8 torches, a shovel and some keys), and almost every time they all make it back alive and with less than 50% stress. I'm starting to feel really guilty about dismissing these people for doing a loving sterling job :smith:

You need to start sending them out with nothing, so you don't feel as bad when they get absolutely wrecked during pitch dark! Also, they will get loot faster!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I like the little internal story with my Vestral, who refuses to do any chapel-related things, thinks she is a saint, and also believes herself to be possessed. Absolute nutjob.

My best Vestal is obsessed with death and killing and refuses to relax anywhere but the brothel. She also keeps going Abusive when she stresses out. Evelyn is crazy as gently caress.

My sanest hero is Roger the Occultist. Like, he has no real mental defects and great traits, and his default name was ROGER. What is he doing hanging out with all these weirdos? I love the crazy trait system.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So what exactly does "resist affliction" do? Does it just increase the chance of something that would normally give a negative quirk fails to do so? Cuz I just got a new graverobber recruit with +10% melee, +5 dodge and not a single negative quirk and I'd really like to keep it that way.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
It reduces the chance that your character will fail their resolve test and gain an affliction when they're stressed out. Conversely, that also means it improves the chance of them gaining a virtue instead.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Oh, duh, of course. I completely spaced on the fact that they called characters freaking out an "affliction." Whoops.

Edit: This graverobber is great, though. Stack some accessories on her and she's got 35 dodge at lvl 0 :allears:.
And that's before she uses shadow fade. Cannot wait to start upgrading her armor.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 9, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So what exactly does "resist affliction" do? Does it just increase the chance of something that would normally give a negative quirk fails to do so? Cuz I just got a new graverobber recruit with +10% melee, +5 dodge and not a single negative quirk and I'd really like to keep it that way.

When their stress hits 100, it gives them a higher chance of succeeding the resolve test and not becoming afflicted.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Stuns, buffs and debuffs are useless. Damage is king.

I think buffs and debuffs should have longer duration so you actually have time to use them effectively.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hryme posted:

I think buffs and debuffs should have longer duration so you actually have time to use them effectively.

I'd be okay with buffs lasting longer if they didn't stack to infinity.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ok the sanitarium is definitely still bugged because I've put this leper away to lose an affliction three times now and nothing happens. I think it might be related to quitting out of the program after putting them in the sanitarium.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My Jester now has 97% deathblow resistance. :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

My Jester now has 97% deathblow resistance. :getin:

Check if any of your dudes have the "Unyielding" quirk, and give those trinkets to them instead. They will end up with 107% deathblow resistance and be unkillable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hryme posted:

The Grave Robber would like to have a conversation with you!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Broken Cog posted:

Check if any of your dudes have the "Unyielding" quirk, and give those trinkets to them instead. They will end up with 107% deathblow resistance and be unkillable.

Pretty sure he already has unyielding. 10 percent from the quirk, 10 percent from each of two tambourines.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lotish posted:

Pretty sure he already has unyielding. 10 percent from the quirk, 10 percent from each of two tambourines.

Ah, I thought you were using this:

Broken Cog posted:

If this thing stacks with itself you'll have someone with 97% deathblow resistance sitting around hitting for +30% damage and +10% crit. 107% if you give it to someone with unyielding. Seems pretty insane.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

No, but I'll keep a lookout.

Got screwed by hunger events in a long dungeon, which cheated me out of a rare trinket, but that's okay, because a random encounter dropped an ancestral that doubles my bounty hunter's dodge and speed. :woop:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

Ah, I thought you were using this:

The problem with that strategy is that every time someone hits death's door they spam significant stress at the party.

That said it'd still be doable, but I'm not sure it's a win button.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with that strategy is that every time someone hits death's door they spam significant stress at the party.

Does actually getting Door'd cause stress? I thought it was just for hitting 0 health, so if you never heal it wouldn't spam.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Every time you get hit at 0 HP causes either Death Blow or Deaths Door. So yeah, you'd be getting spammed by death's door. You'll have to outpace the stress with crits pretty much.

Honestly I wouldn't bother cause it gets so spammy and drags the fights out.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Because death's door gives a large -% to damage that's only barely overcome by two Martyr's seals, immortal characters aren't actually part of any optimal strategy. I still want to send an immortal jester into the dungeon alone* to slice his way through the dark tunnels.

*By alone I mean with 3 fresh off the wagon spear catchers.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just get 4 party members with unyielding, and 8 of those trinkets. Theoretically, that could happen eventually, right? :allears:

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
When you think about it, such a party would be ideal for 'farming' all the possible affliction dialogue safely.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

If this thing stacks with itself you'll have someone with 97% deathblow resistance sitting around hitting for +30% damage and +10% crit. 107% if you give it to someone with unyielding. Seems pretty insane.

So wait, can you even lose if a character is immune to death? idgi

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

animatorZed posted:

Just get 4 party members with unyielding, and 8 of those trinkets. Theoretically, that could happen eventually, right? :allears:

This would be really hilarious. Hell, even just one 107% guy with three trash dudes that you let die can solo anything in the game and is immune to death. Not sure how legit that is, but

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I haven't tested it myself but I doubt it works as theorized because I've seen things go through 100% resist with other stuff.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

This would be really hilarious. Hell, even just one 107% guy with three trash dudes that you let die can solo anything in the game and is immune to death. Not sure how legit that is, but

The hag says hello. I'm not 100% positive she can throw someone at Death's Door into the pot, but if she can there's a moment where your party doesn't have any living, active characters.

On the other hand you can clear everything else with a Jester rocking a wicked lute Solo.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
It'd be amusing if it did work that way, though. In a 'You'll be allowed to die when I say so' sort of way.

The game already encourages you to be abusive toward your underlings. Why let something as trivial as fatal wounds allow them to escape from your service? Let there be no release for those poor fools… only further horrors and greater riches.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing abusive about pulling random teams of murderhobos off the wagon and sending them into a meatgrinder with no pay beyond what's necessary to keep them together enough to keep fighting by tossing them booze and prayer.

Oh, wait. Everything about that is abusive, yes.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I wish this game would give me a mission that wasn't a boss battle or something way above my level. How am I supposed to get enough gold to train up a new team that is actually good enough to beat a boss if I have to abandon every mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hellburger99 posted:

I wish this game would give me a mission that wasn't a boss battle or something way above my level. How am I supposed to get enough gold to train up a new team that is actually good enough to beat a boss if I have to abandon every mission?

Ideally you want to have an A and B (and maybe C and D, depending) team of adventurers all running missions. If a mission is too tough you can always go in, grab what loot you can, then abandon mission; you won't get the mission reward but you'll keep gathered loot. I've done that more than once especially when the only mission was the Hag and all I had was my Leper team.

If the boss in question is level 1 necromancer though give him a shot he's not too hard. For the hag, an all-hellion team or a team of all ranged strikers (bounty hunters, occultist, highwayman, etc.) has a pretty decent shot even at low level so long as you remember to focus fire the Hag and ignore the pot as much as possible. For the Swine King you want as much single-target damage as you can stack up.

I think the way the game is set up, it goes scouting mission -> clearing mission -> boss mission so eventually you do have to at least attempt a boss mission; it's not entirely random what you get. You will always get at least one level 1 mission.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 9, 2015