Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just picked up the first four issues of Gotham Academy and it's great. I love that Batman is the only franchise within Marvel or DC that has a world built so well that you can have so many stories take place within Gotham that are only tangibly related to Batman. Bruce Wayne has shown up, but other than some post trauma, Batman hasn't shown up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finally caught up on Batman and Eternal. Endgame is pretty poo poo, honestly. I guess it's cool that Joker has a face again but it's pretty much the same horror movie vibe as DotF except instead of Jason Vorhees it's Night of the Living Dead. It's also nearly impossible to buy Batman and Joker as this ultimate adversarial pair, locked in a death spiral, when how many times have they possibly gone head to head in the four years Batman has even existed? Even putting aside the "big twist" because it will undoubtedly not resolve anything, Joker will be presumed dead at the end, and they will go right back to never knowing for sure whether it was true or not, blah blah blah.

I don't think Snyder waited long enough between his big epic Joker stories. There should have maybe been a few more low-stakes, one or two issue Joker adventures somewhere in there.

Eternal has some good stuff in it. I really wasn't expecting a Gates of Gotham reference though it's pretty obvious they're going to hit every single Batman rogue in some way before the end of it. I like how they've handled Stephanie even though making her mom villainous is kind of a poo poo move considering the old continuity. Stephanie and Selena is going to be a pretty interesting story I feel like.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

they will go right back to never knowing for sure whether it was true or not, blah blah blah.

I hope so. I think it'd be best and most fitting to end with basically no resolution, knowing entirely less about him than they ever did.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 7, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah maybe I didnt phrase that well, I think it's a bad idea to ever explicitly nail down the Joker's origin, that was one of the few things I didn't enjoy about Zero Year, but when they make such a ludicrous, potentially game-changing reveal like the one in Endgame it makes me roll my eyes because I know it's not going to matter one way or the other.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the backups with various ludicrous Joker histories being retold by lunatics really points to the point.

e: The guy giving the eternal meteorite story is just another lunatic Joker took into confidence and the miraculous live forever juice he got from him was a trick.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 8, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

radlum posted:

So Croc is not her father? I haven't read Arkham Manor and I had no idea both books were connected. I just thought Croc being there meant he was her father, I guess I was wrong.
We don't know who her father is, but Croc has been toyed with in a lot of different ways in New 52 (for example: his appearance in Academy is his BTAS look, but the other books don't use that look) so who knows?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Did no one seem to think it was weird that Killer Croc had a bunch of peepholes in everyone's rooms?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Did no one seem to think it was weird that Killer Croc had a bunch of peepholes in everyone's rooms?

I don't think Croc built the tunnels, silly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
While the idea of Joker subverting Batman's Superstitious Cowardly Lot ethos, I'm a little sick of the Joker: Super Genius that has been at play since DotF.

A whole lot of misdirection and badly written bullshit came out of that bloated mess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Death of the Family was bad and I didn't like it at all, but this arc has been pretty good.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Joker: super genius has been around for a long time. I agree it's tiresome though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think part of the problem is that Batman has been so pumped up over the years to stand next to gods and supermen that the Joker has to be escalated alongside him to still be seen as his archenemy.

When Batman is so hyper-competent and prepared that he has red son gauntlets at the ready to fight Superman or armor to let him go to Apokolips and take on Darkseid solo, a serial killer clown is no longer any kind of threat.

It's one of the problems DC has with balancing street level Batman and Justice League Batman. It's one of the reasons that Marvel generally tries to keep street level guys like Daredevil and Punisher away from The Avengers. When you're fighting gods and alien superbeings it seems odd to be back to fighting the mob and beating up purse snatchers the next issue.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I disagree only because the same thing didn't happen to the Riddler or Two-Face or Penguin. If anything, those characters have been rendered less threatening over the years.

I think the broader issue is that Batman and Joker's relationship has evolved into the pure distillation of the core conflict in superhero comics. The Killing Joke really pushed the idea, and The Dark Knight cemented it in the public's consciousness. Batman is optimism and the Joker is nihilism. And you can tell good stories within that framework. I think The Dark Knight works for me because that pure distillation of optimism nihilism hadn't been translated to film. It also works because the Nolans and Ledgers kept the Joker clever. He wasn't going to break Gotham through mass killings. He was going to break Gotham by forcing normal citizens to commit murder as they watch their chance at salvation turn into a monster just like him.

I find the idea of Joker being the thing Batman is afraid of an interesting one, and Snyder does a lot better with it in Endgame than he did in DotF. Still, Joker has reached this point where he transcended gimmicks and I feel like that's given less shape to the character allowing writers to go to crazy lengths with him because being an evil clown or a comedian who tells jokes through crime has become secondary to his relationship with Batman and being a street level Darkseid.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm not sure I can think of the current Batman as optimistic versus nihilism as much as justice at all costs versus chaos. Optimistic Batman wouldn't constantly be spurning his family and friends to crawl deeper into the grim dark. How many times since the Dark Knight Returns has Batman punched out Dick or belittled Barbara and her team or just straight up sulked his way through a crisis? if you want to frame Batman as optimism you'll have to go to the Animated Series version. Even towards the end of Justice League Unlimited where he was angling towards what he is now he still had a lot of compassion for the world at large.

And I still find the idea of red sun boxing gloves hysterically mary sue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman is the biggest mary sue in the history of fiction. I say this as a huge Batman fan.

And DC absolutely has tried to ramp up the other Bat-villains to be more threatening, wasn't there a story where Mad Hatter made a bunch of people drown themselves for no real reason other than "whoa look at this BAD GUY"? But rather than making them omniscient in the case of Joker it just results in a constant grimdark arms race to see who can rack up the most dead civilians before Batman kicks their teeth in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

wasn't there a story where Mad Hatter made a bunch of people drown themselves for no real reason other than "whoa look at this BAD GUY"?

That was in Batman: The Dark Knight, written by master author David Finch IIRC. The silver lining is I think B:TDK was just a out-of-continuity book DC gave Finch so he could draw pretty pictures and come up with Character Find Of The Year 2013 One-Face, so that doesn't "count".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trast posted:

I'm not sure I can think of the current Batman as optimistic versus nihilism as much as justice at all costs versus chaos. Optimistic Batman wouldn't constantly be spurning his family and friends to crawl deeper into the grim dark. How many times since the Dark Knight Returns has Batman punched out Dick or belittled Barbara and her team or just straight up sulked his way through a crisis? if you want to frame Batman as optimism you'll have to go to the Animated Series version. Even towards the end of Justice League Unlimited where he was angling towards what he is now he still had a lot of compassion for the world at large.
There's some optimism in Zero Year, especially with his public speeches as Bruce Wayne. I guess you could argue that it's an origin story and he's moved on since then though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Was Taters posted:

Joker: super genius has been around for a long time. I agree it's tiresome though.
Joker as a master planner has been tossed around as an alternative to Whacky Fun Chaosmaster Joker, but DotF took it to ridiculous levels with the Implication that he had sneaked into the Bat cave, knew what Bruce, Dick, and Babs had been doing for ages, gave the Batmobile a tuneup, and could predict exactly where everyone would be.

Azarello and Nolan's Joker was a good mastermind type, using his apparent Insanity as a cover... But DotF was like Joker had cheat sheets to everything.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Wait am I missing something or is Batman 66 getting killed off? I don't see it in the returning comics.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cabinet posted:

Wait am I missing something or is Batman 66 getting killed off? I don't see it in the returning comics.
Batman '66 is a digital first comic, so it's going to be published during Convergence because the digital editors already work in California.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Phew. I was worried that the best Batman book ever was getting killed off.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Joker as a master planner has been tossed around as an alternative to Whacky Fun Chaosmaster Joker, but DotF took it to ridiculous levels with the Implication that he had sneaked into the Bat cave, knew what Bruce, Dick, and Babs had been doing for ages, gave the Batmobile a tuneup, and could predict exactly where everyone would be.
Bruce going to meet the Joker AS BRUCE and doing nothing to hide his appearance probably didn't help, either. God, that was stupid.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

Bruce going to meet the Joker AS BRUCE and doing nothing to hide his appearance probably didn't help, either. God, that was stupid.

But he actually seems surprised in Endgame when Joker knows who he is.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's some optimism in Zero Year, especially with his public speeches as Bruce Wayne. I guess you could argue that it's an origin story and he's moved on since then though.

I love that one page (I think from Zero Year) that's "What do you love about this city, Bruce?" with all those little snapshots of daily life around Gotham. That's since grounded the city and his devotion to it/optimism about it for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, that was good.

One of the things I enjoyed in Zero Year was Snyder's efforts to distinguish modern Gotham from Miller's analogue to 1970s / 1980s crime-ridden New York, and the optimism played into that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doyle, Snyder, Black Canary artist Annie Wu and the Batgirl and Gotham Academy teams.
I like the idea that their editor can't frown.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Something about Doyle's dorky smile while everyone is trying to be all scowly is so adorable :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wu's the only one that looks actually badass.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

Wu's the only one that looks actually badass.

She's just doing Blue Steel.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doyle, Snyder, Black Canary artist Annie Wu and the Batgirl and Gotham Academy teams.
I like the idea that their editor can't frown.

Man Doyle making to move to Burbank really was the best thing to happen to DC in years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So Hush is not responsible for the poo poo in Eternal, and the person behind it was pretty obvious in retrospect.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bobkatt013 posted:

So Hush is not responsible for the poo poo in Eternal, and the person behind it was pretty obvious in retrospect.
I doubt it's him. Probably another fake-out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hush was beat, going "oh man you don't know whats coming!" a while ago.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 12, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Was it Riddler again? Because I kind of wish every Hush story ever ended with Riddler.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

HitTheTargets posted:

Was it Riddler again? Because I kind of wish every Hush story ever ended with Riddler.
No.

Supposedly the big bad is Ra's now. I don't buy it because it kind of makes things with Robin Rises a little screwy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope Eternal keeps going long enough that it starts looping back around to the villains they've already been through. Like in six months, holy poo poo, it really was Hush! A week later, no wait, it's the Riddler!

The real mastermind was Crazy Quilt all along

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

No.

Supposedly the big bad is Ra's now. I don't buy it because it kind of makes things with Robin Rises a little screwy.

They aren't already? You'll make your head explode trying to figure out where 'Batman and Robin' fits between Eternal and Endgame.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 12, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

They aren't already? You'll make your head explode trying to figure out where 'Batman and Robin' fits between Eternal and Endgame.
Which is probably one of the reasons why DC is going "gently caress continuity" with Divergence. May as well stop pretending like they care.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I doubt it's him. Probably another fake-out.

It is always another fake-out and I can not fathom how in the world the same Scott Snyder who writes Batman that I enjoy is writing this crap. Is there maybe another Scott Snyder who writes comics out there? Evil twin? CLONE? I mean this is comics, anything is possible.

But seriously if anyone thinks immortal Joker over in Endgame is a bullshit story, they really need to go pick up Eternal and read the story of how Carmine Falcone no wait Hush no wait Mad Hatter no wait Ra's Al Ghul has conscripted every goddamned Batman character ever to be in one scheme that would make Light Yagami go "this is a little convoluted".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003
It's going to be Talia Al Ghul at the end. They haven't brought her back into play yet and didn't the first issue open with a shirtless Batman chained up somewhere?

• Locked thread