Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Improvisational dancing on skates, too!
I particularly enjoyed the random somersault on the grass with the stick in his hands. I have a feeling the Red Army team would have been very good at hockey-themed Ninjitsu, should the need to use it have ever arisen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Russian form of hockey, 11 vs 11, should be a thing at the All-Star Game.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Russian form of hockey, 11 vs 11, should be a thing at the All-Star Game.
11 vs 11 on a soccer-pitch sized rink :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Now that I would've bought a ticket to.

I didn't know Dinamo Riga was Team KGB.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Watching this, I learned that the Medal Round in 1980 is different from modern day Medal Round at the Olympics.

It was not the bracket-style nowadays, where:

USA/USSR
faces winner of
SWE/FIN

It was a pool as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_1980_Winter_Olympics#Final_round

Don't just look at the scores. Read the article.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It actually makes their Gold even more impressive. Now you can play like garbage early in pool play and get lucky in the medal round. Back then you had to be on the entire tournament. I sort of like the old system better.

Just looking back through old results, does anyone know why Canada didn't compete in 1972 and 1976?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Just watched the hockey one. Was pretty good. Nice to get an honest look into the Soviet system. In some ways Rocky IV wasn't that off the mark.

Niwrad posted:

Just looking back through old results, does anyone know why Canada didn't compete in 1972 and 1976?

Canada withdrew from international competition for most of the 70s because of disputes about being allowed to use professional player, I think.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 10, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hockles posted:

Watching this, I learned that the Medal Round in 1980 is different from modern day Medal Round at the Olympics.

It was not the bracket-style nowadays, where:

USA/USSR
faces winner of
SWE/FIN

It was a pool as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_1980_Winter_Olympics#Final_round

Don't just look at the scores. Read the article.

A lot of people know that the USA didn't beat the USSR in the final game of the tournament - but the people who are aware of that rarely understand that the Soviets still won the silver medals. It took a long time (and finally, Wikipedia) to convince someone that this actually happened in a conversation I had during last year's Olympics.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's wild to see the Finns go from the finals to 4th place, and the consolation game was actually for 5th.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
The ending left me curious as to what happened to the team as the USSR fell apart, and if the players still keep in contact or meet up. The Slate sports podcast had the director on today and he goes into more detail about a few parts of the movie, its pretty good if you are still curious about the film.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ESPN's airing a film on electronic football right now? :psyduck:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's basically part of a series of shorts on eccentric sports fans. It's alright. Apparently that tabletop football still gets made because I saw it at Games by James in the Mall of America on Wednesday.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

It's basically part of a series of shorts on eccentric sports fans. It's alright. Apparently that tabletop football still gets made because I saw it at Games by James in the Mall of America on Wednesday.

I assume this one's titled Midwest.mov?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

I assume this one's titled Midwest.mov?

From what I can tell it's actually upstate New York. The reason why this group made it in is that they've been playing tabletop football together at the same place regularly since 1980.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

"Dad's really close to buying the Maple Leaf Gardens toilet and plunger set!" This show's actually okay.

EDIT: "I saw Ty Cobb's dentures and said 'I have to have them'"

EDIT: "This toilet is evocative of Maple Leafs history" :laffo:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 2, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FInally got around to watching of Miracles and Men. It's really good.

gently caress those Canadians were dicks. lmao. :argh:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Crazy Ted posted:

EDIT: "This toilet is evocative of Maple Leafs history" :laffo:

:lol:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The best part was that the guy said it without any hint of irony. He was just referring to the people who presumably sat on it. He even referred to one player who was known to throw up into it before every home game.

However, as a visual metaphor it's much more effective.

In any event that was probably the hardest I laughed all weekend.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

Washington Post had a really interesting/bizarre article a while back about it. I'll see if i can find it.

Here we go: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...b57f_story.html

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

I was randomly flipping through channels in a hotel room when I came across that group of shorts on ESPN. Had no idea it was new or anything, but it's definitely worth a watch for anyone who enjoys 30 for 30s. It was really interesting to learn about the owner of California Chrome and how he "lucked into" a horse of that caliber. Dude also has a serious thing about horses :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JackssWastedLife posted:

Dude also has a serious thing about horses :stare:

Horse people are loving loony. Every single one of them.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Laettner doc on now

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
RIC loving FLAIR

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ric Flair talking about heeling it up makes this a great doc no matter what

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wake Forest is literally like, the light side of Duke. The schools are really similar but we're not goddamned assholes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This is turning out to be very good. I had no idea why I would want to watch a doc. about Laettner and Duke, but son of a bitch..they've sold me on it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Laettner doing his interviews for the doc in a CHRISTIAN LAETTNER t-shirt is fantastic.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Every time I see and hear Laettner I keep thinking it's Bill Simmons

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SA2K posted:

:monocle: THAT'S who he's reminding me of.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

SA2K posted:

Not just in appearance, but that loving voice too.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't give a poo poo about any of these people and this isn't doing anything to make me care.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wake Forest is literally like, the light side of Duke. The schools are really similar but we're not goddamned assholes.

This post kinda makes Wake Forest alumni seem like assholes.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
This doc is incredibly disjointed

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That was tremendous.

purkey posted:

This post kinda makes Wake Forest alumni seem like assholes.

A lot of them are actually, and I can be one, but I'm not a Duke brand of rear end in a top hat. Duke really is a prejudiced, elitist, awful place. Wake has some smug people around, but I've never met a Wake alumnus who wasn't a generally affable person, and nobody around the ACC hates Wake which says a lot. Of course if we had the level of success Duke has had maybe people would hate us too, who the hell knows? I guess my only point is with things like academics and being a small private school Wake is similar to Duke in a lot of ways but nobody hates us which is nice. :)

Sorry for coming off like a bit of an rear end in a top hat though. I guess it just surprises me how similar Wake and Duke can be while also being so, so, so different is all. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 16, 2015

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Laettner doing his interviews for the doc in a CHRISTIAN LAETTNER t-shirt is fantastic.

He does young kids' basketball camps that naturally use his name.

Poonerman posted:

This doc is incredibly disjointed

I'm currently catching the replay and the arguments/points of debate just feel stupid. Not amusingly stupid or funny stupid, just stupid.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was really good, maybe I'm alone. :shobon:

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
That was....okay? I don't know, something was just off about it. It felt like it jumped around subjects a lot, like going from the tournament, to something else, then back to the same tournament.

Also, there is something so incredibly sad about the two guys that were, like, professional Duke haters. Maybe, it's because I don't have a strong opinion about Duke one way or another, but seeing these two guys talk about how much they hate Duke, or that one guy talking about his Youtube video was so pathetic to me. They should have cut the both of them, and featured more rambling Ric Flair footage.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Boomer The Cannon posted:

11 vs 11 on a soccer-pitch sized rink :getin:
I'm sure there's some college football stadium in proper hockey land that isn't used for bowl season and could hold the Winter Classic. Ice down all of The Big House and properly break attendance records with 11 v 11 action. DOOOO IIIITTTT

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I wasn't even alive in 1992, but I sense the bit where they said "Kentucky wasn't supposed to be there and everyone was rooting for them" is bullshit. Confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SpiritualDeath posted:

I wasn't even alive in 1992, but I sense the bit where they said "Kentucky wasn't supposed to be there and everyone was rooting for them" is bullshit. Confirm/deny?

Kentucky was a 2 seed.

EDIT: And ranked 6th going into the tourney. And had won the SEC championship by a lot.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread