Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

There was only one road back to LA.... Interstate 15 - a frantic high-speed burn through Baker, Barstow and Berdoo...

Great quote! Looks like a fun trip. I want to go next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Weeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fUhVjCpfsg

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
is that yours? It's awesome!

and did you turn the Jeep badge into the Pee badge?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

is that yours? It's awesome!

and did you turn the Jeep badge into the Pee badge?
Yes! Thank you - I like it!

And yes. We were going to do "beer", but it's more work, and over-done.

Edit: Here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeLtgwx9oek

I apparently like this teeter tottering thing.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 7, 2015

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

There was only one road back to LA.... Interstate 15 - a frantic high-speed burn through Baker, Barstow and Berdoo...

Awesome trip! I am totally copying this trip, BTW. but probably explore some different areas of Black Mountain itself.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Bad freakin' rear end! I've driven by Boron but I haven't seen all that. New short term goal!

BoostCreep posted:

Great quote! Looks like a fun trip. I want to go next time.

tuna posted:

Awesome trip! I am totally copying this trip, BTW. but probably explore some different areas of Black Mountain itself.

Glad you guys enjoyed it - pm me if you have questions on getting in there, but if you're a smart man and have a GPS or a map/compass (unlike me) it's quite easy. It doesn't offer much in the way of hardcore 4x4 flexing action, but I built this old jeep more as a desert explorer anyway so it's perfect for that. Im sure there's some lovely mine roads I missed too. Also: possible SoCal AI 4x4 meetup spot :ninja:?

I really dig your vented hood (Death Proof decal too holy poo poo) - I've only ever seen the LeBaron vent mod on XJs. Did you have a fabricator do that?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I really dig your vented hood (Death Proof decal too holy poo poo) - I've only ever seen the LeBaron vent mod on XJs. Did you have a fabricator do that?
Thank you! Yeah, it's custom. If you're interested, I can definitely get you a price. Biggest potential downside is it really requires a repaint, but totally worth it. Keeps the engine a lot cooler, looks badass.

Upside is, any color jeep looks good with a black hood, so it's not like a difficult or pricey respray.

Edit: oh, and I'm totally up for a SoCal AI meetup, and I'm seriously contemplating a trip up there soon.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

Edit: oh, and I'm totally up for a SoCal AI meetup, and I'm seriously contemplating a trip up there soon.

I'd be down for this.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Thank you! Yeah, it's custom. If you're interested, I can definitely get you a price. Biggest potential downside is it really requires a repaint, but totally worth it. Keeps the engine a lot cooler, looks badass.

Upside is, any color jeep looks good with a black hood, so it's not like a difficult or pricey respray.

Yah it looks great. I'm cheap as hell so I've been keeping my eyes open for hood vents in junkyards, but if a lotto scratcher pays off or something I'll hit you up. The paint on my jeep is waaay more shot than my photos make it look, so no shits given there. I was actually pleased to find some big scratches desert pinstriping from a creosote bush a couple trips ago.

We keep mentioning meetups and time keeps moving, but one of these days we'll get it done. I've got JKS disconnects, Spidertrax wheel spacers and 3/4" front body spacers (to level it out) sitting on my desk, waiting for 31s I''m gonna be ordering in the next couple weeks. I wanted to go 33s but I'm too lazy and aesthetic to cut the body, and 31s are cheaper. Once all that is on I'm going to be itching for another, bolder expedition.

As a side note, I've been rather pleased with the basic Goodyear Wranglers the Jeep came with - I thought they were pretty much street-oriented budget BFG AT competitors for tire shops to sell to people, but the only problem I've encountered was a nail in town. Plugged the hole and it's still running strong, even though I stopped being careful and started going over sharp rocks without care.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm down for an AI 4x4 socal meetup as well.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kastivich posted:

I'd be down for this.
email me @ my username @ gmail and I'll start co-ordinating (I've got BoostCreep & RoyalNonesuch contact info, and I'm PMing tuna as we speak)

Yah it looks great. I'm cheap as hell so I've been keeping my eyes open for hood vents in junkyards, but if a lotto scratcher pays off or something I'll hit you up. The paint on my jeep is waaay more shot than my photos make it look, so no shits given there. I was actually pleased to find some big scratches desert pinstriping from a creosote bush a couple trips ago.

We keep mentioning meetups and time keeps moving, but one of these days we'll get it done. I've got JKS disconnects, Spidertrax wheel spacers and 3/4" front body spacers (to level it out) sitting on my desk, waiting for 31s I''m gonna be ordering in the next couple weeks. I wanted to go 33s but I'm too lazy and aesthetic to cut the body, and 31s are cheaper. Once all that is on I'm going to be itching for another, bolder expedition.
Up to you, but it's probably not very expensive. I *love* all my desert pinstripes!

What area are you in? If you're local I'm totally down to help install stuff - most of that should be pretty straightforward to install, actually.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

email me @ my username @ gmail and I'll start co-ordinating

Done.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

What area are you in? If you're local I'm totally down to help install stuff - most of that should be pretty straightforward to install, actually.

I'm in Pasadena, which IIRC is a bit far from you. All that stuff will be easy to put in except the body spacers because gently caress coil springs. I'm waiting on the tires so I can get it all aligned once it's done. That said, the Sun Valley LKQ had a ton of XJs last time I was there so if your area is sparse and you want to find some stuff/install my crap and drink beers we can make it work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm in Pasadena, which IIRC is a bit far from you. All that stuff will be easy to put in except the body spacers because gently caress coil springs. I'm waiting on the tires so I can get it all aligned once it's done. That said, the Sun Valley LKQ had a ton of XJs last time I was there so if your area is sparse and you want to find some stuff/install my crap and drink beers we can make it work.
Sun Valley is actually probably closer to me than you (I'm in Northridge). But yes, by all means, I'd love to help you work on it. The coils shouldn't actually be too bad - since you don't (probably) have limit straps, I'd imagine we can drop your coils without much work. Unless the stock suspension doesn't flex enough to drop it? Even if it doesn't, probably unhook the upper link and it should come out, no?

We'll have to see where tuna is, but so far it looks like Big Bear or maybe Cleghorn would be a good bet for a run together - BoostCreep is in our area, other dude is out closer to Big Bear.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Sun Valley is actually probably closer to me than you (I'm in Northridge). But yes, by all means, I'd love to help you work on it. The coils shouldn't actually be too bad - since you don't (probably) have limit straps, I'd imagine we can drop your coils without much work. Unless the stock suspension doesn't flex enough to drop it? Even if it doesn't, probably unhook the upper link and it should come out, no?

We'll have to see where tuna is, but so far it looks like Big Bear or maybe Cleghorn would be a good bet for a run together - BoostCreep is in our area, other dude is out closer to Big Bear.

Ah, for some reason I thought you were up near Ventura/Oxnard. Cool. I've got 3" coils front and new super-stiff RE 3.5" (more like 4+") leafs in the back, other than that it's stock. I put the coils in last time having never done any suspension poo poo before so it should definitely be easier this time around, and I have some HF strut compressors.

Disclosure: We'll have to chisel off my expensive bespoke Gorilla-glued hockey puck bumpstops, and my workspace is Dirt à la Kastein :banjo:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ah, for some reason I thought you were up near Ventura/Oxnard. Cool. I've got 3" coils front and new super-stiff RE 3.5" (more like 4+") leafs in the back, other than that it's stock. I put the coils in last time having never done any suspension poo poo before so it should definitely be easier this time around, and I have some HF strut compressors.

Disclosure: We'll have to chisel off my expensive bespoke Gorilla-glued hockey puck bumpstops, and my workspace is Dirt à la Kastein :banjo:
The shop where I did all the work is up there, but I live down here.

Sounds fun! Your leafs will probably eventually droop a bit (I've got about 10-12k on mine now, and they're a teeny bit lower), and if it really bothers you, you can take a leaf out and it drops it to about 3". (I did this for awhile until I got my front 4" done.) (Edit: Or put spacers in. Just bringing up options :))

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 9, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Noob question: why are bumper tow hooks usually installed concave down? Any reason against installing them concave up?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Noob question: why are bumper tow hooks usually installed concave down? Any reason against installing them concave up?
Only thing I can think, if I were pulling him on those, it'd be much more likely to slip up off the hook, as I'm lifted more. I'd guess on higher vehicles it matters less, on little lifts, it's worth having them face down?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Honestly I think its because of the angle of the bumper, concave up you wouldn't be able to get a strap onto the hook without the hook poking out a lot more to clear the angle and it really does look like a strap will slip off with some slack. On my JK they're on top of the bumper and concave backwards.

Krakkles posted:

I replied to the PM but for the sake of the thread I'm basically in west LA so not too far from Big Bear or Cleghorn. They are good locations with a nice variation of trails we can choose from. Just past BB/Cleghorn is also Johnson valley and Cugar Buttes but I've not been to either.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Just past BB/Cleghorn is also Johnson valley and Cugar Buttes but I've not been to either.

I've not been to Johnson valley either but have wanted to explore that way. I know it can get crazy difficult out there though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I for one am willing to drive anywhere for a run, but I think you bring up the other big consideration: I think we've got two fairly mild rigs with us - so, basically, no super crazy stuff. I'll start looking up trails so we can hopefully find something we can all have fun on.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'd rather have loops than a hook but yeah I can see why having the hook face up may be better if its bumper up, one less thing to dig into something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really don't like those hooks, had one slip off a bit and go right through the middle of the web of my recovery strap. Also my wheeling style disagrees greatly with having the hooks hanging down below the bumper, I folded the mount brackets over the first time I took the MJ out wheeling and took them back off.

As for dirt work areas, it sucks till you realize you need 4 inches more clearance and your jackstands won't go any higher, and all you have to do is spend 5 minutes with a shovel, kinda hard to do that on a concrete pad :v:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
One of the things that I don't like about the Savvy front bumper is their insistence on using hooks instead of recovery tabs. They say there were too many bent tabs, so hooks are now the only option on that bumper. When I was looking at aluminum bumpers hooks seemed to be the norm. I don't recall any that had tabs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone had a chance to run rancho7000's at high speed ? My needs are remote res adjustable shocks, but I don't want to spend that money.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE: SoCal 4x4 trip. I'm down. I need to figure out this slider issue first, but let's definitely make a trip happen.

I've tried making a Socal AI thread a few times but it always dies down. Are you all on the SoCal AI Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalai/

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

RE: SoCal 4x4 trip. I'm down. I need to figure out this slider issue first, but let's definitely make a trip happen.

I've tried making a Socal AI thread a few times but it always dies down. Are you all on the SoCal AI Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalai/

I've posted on there but there wasn't much response.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I live in Torrance and just got a big rear end truck, kinda see what it can do after only driving a bug for the last 11 years.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, so based on location and variety of rig capability / driver talent, I'm inclined to say we should do Cleghorn. It looks like it's basically a trail, intertwined with a dirt road, easily bypassable at any difficult section.

Here's some links about it:

Pictures:
http://www.ohvguide.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11

Description:
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Cleghorn_Ridge_Trail

Map of start point:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...0e512572a928402

What say you guys?

I know BoostCreep needs to resolve his sliders, so we'll probably need to figure out the timeline based on that, but maybe we could tentatively say March 14th? Boost, how does that sound?

I *am* on that Facebook group and I'll post there too, but I figured I'd post up here to keep the conversation going.

(Originally said March 7th, realized that's TDS, so maybe Asstonishing Wang will join us if we go 14th)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 11, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Krakkles posted:

(Originally said March 7th, realized that's TDS, so maybe Asstonishing Wang will join us if we go 14th)

I'm in! Thanks for setting it up :D

Do we want to keep it kinda small or should I invite a few friends?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I think I can make this too. Should be fun.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

March 14th is ok for me too!
There are lots of routes through Cleghorn with some fun sections to try out too. There are also a lot of narrow trails which are essentially ruts in the ground that you can not turn around in, so we do have to be a bit careful.
I've been to Cleghorn once (along with a stock JK) and on our way out we ended up in a rut path that got increasingly difficult, fortunately it was downhill so we could basically slide down a lot of the technical sections.
This is a video of what you can expect at Cleghorn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAaaCjBJhnU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm down. Sliders will be figured out by then for sure.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd be inclined to say invite the friends - personally I like to trust the people I'm wheeling with, so as long as you feel comfortable with them, I'm cool with it. I'd say don't invite the drunk guy who rolls every trip :D

Kastivich brought up communications, and that's an important point. I have a 2m radio and a 2m handheld, and I'll probably pick up a CB handheld since it sounds like BoostCreep and Kastivich already have those. I do think we need a plan, so who has what?

• BoostCreep - CB
  • Kastivich - CB/handheld FRS/2m handheld
  • Krakkles - 2m (x2; one handheld)/CB (handheld)
  • tuna - CB / maybe 2m
  • Astonishing Wang - CB
  • TheRoyalNonesuch - CB

I'd personally prefer to use 2m, because the range is FAR superior, but I also realize the investment is probably more. If you're interested in getting into a decent 2m radio for cheap, you want this:

http://smile.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY3XOSW/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B54F16I/

That setup is what I use as my handheld, and it's a very good performer, especially for the price. Should get you a much better range than CB.

pfffffffffft - you in for 3/14 Cleghorn? If so, what kind of radio you rockin'?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have a CB in my Jeep - I feel like it's more than enough for most situations, and I don't have brain space for a new radio :ohdear:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I'd be inclined to say invite the friends - personally I like to trust the people I'm wheeling with, so as long as you feel comfortable with them, I'm cool with it. I'd say don't invite the drunk guy who rolls every trip :D

Kastivich brought up communications, and that's an important point. I have a 2m radio and a 2m handheld, and I'll probably pick up a CB handheld since it sounds like BoostCreep and Kastivich already have those. I do think we need a plan, so who has what?

• BoostCreep - CB
  • Kastivich - CB/handheld FRS
  • Krakkles - 2m (x2; one handheld)/CB (handheld)
  • tuna - ?
  • Astonishing Wang - ?
  • TheRoyalNonesuch - ?

I'd personally prefer to use 2m, because the range is FAR superior, but I also realize the investment is probably more. If you're interested in getting into a decent 2m radio for cheap, you want this:

http://smile.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY3XOSW/
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B54F16I/

That setup is what I use as my handheld, and it's a very good performer, especially for the price. Should get you a much better range than CB.

pfffffffffft - you in for 3/14 Cleghorn? If so, what kind of radio you rockin'?

I have a UV5R but I thought you needed a HAM license to use it. For that reason, I've only ever used it for monitoring.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kastivich posted:

I have a UV5R but I thought you needed a HAM license to use it. For that reason, I've only ever used it for monitoring.
You do, and I'm getting my license (possibly before this trip) for that reason, but it's nearly entirely unenforce(d/able), and I wouldn't be too worried about it. The entire offroad racing community uses it, essentially, and usually Weatherman is the only one with a license.

Edit: It looks like we've got enough handhelds between us that we could likely relay to cover anyone who doesn't have a radio, as long as you guys are comfortable loaning (I am).

It's looking like CB is the way to go, since we've got more drivers with those than with anything else. I'll order mine!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 11, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'm a tentative yes on the 14th if I can get the day off and have my upgrades done by then. I also have a CB in my jeep.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Bob "Weatherman" Steinberger has a long cancelled license for 800MHz cell infrastructure. :angel: He never had a license for 151.625MHz, nor any VHF LMR frequencies. Everyone in the offroad community operates licenseless (I can't think of a single exception, despite having been a radio tech previously at PCI Race Radios for 2 years and now at Rugged Radios for 2 years), and haven't heard of a team or racer ever pursued by the FCC for any reason. You'd likely never have any trouble with a 4 watt Baofeng transmitting in the LMR band, but definitely stay out of 2m and 70cm amateur bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

DJ Commie posted:

Bob "Weatherman" Steinberger has a long cancelled license for 800MHz cell infrastructure. :angel: He never had a license for 151.625MHz, nor any VHF LMR frequencies. Everyone in the offroad community operates licenseless (I can't think of a single exception, despite having been a radio tech previously at PCI Race Radios for 2 years and now at Rugged Radios for 2 years), and haven't heard of a team or racer ever pursued by the FCC for any reason. You'd likely never have any trouble with a 4 watt Baofeng transmitting in the LMR band, but definitely stay out of 2m and 70cm amateur bands.

Baofengs are surprisingly competent radios.

Also I'd love to go along on this trip but I dont want to pinstripe my truck, after watching that video linked earlier theres no way the Lux Cruiser fits down those trails.