Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Coming Soon, a series of fonts extracted from a dos program and converted to a modern format

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Hello Dwarf Fortress.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sorry, no! Font is not from underground but outer space. Form of letters is used on Soyuz space software!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
That's a sweet font right there.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

That's a sweet font right there.

It even came in many variations. In px, there are:
4x6,
6x8,
8x8,
8x10,
8x12,
8x14,

and

8x16

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Secret work project means making my own pixel font. Most of this came naturally to me so I assume there's a billion other fonts with these exact same pixels, even though I painted this all by hand. 8x10.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

close to finished the 8x16 set, a boring and common size that made sense to get feet wet with.. 333 glyphs so far, lots of the Box Drawing/Block Character ones are new.

ok here.
http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/1090263

other ones sometime.

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 12, 2014

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Was wondering if anyone could identify the "Back in style" font in this photo

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's very unlikely that that's a font. The way those letters connect seems to good for something that looks like it was made 25 years ago. (would require opentype features)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

also that was back when actual artists still existed so you could have them do what they called "hand-letter-ing"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

toby posted:

also that was back when actual artists still existed so you could have them do what they called "hand-letter-ing"

guys what font is this i need to know for a project tia

.random
May 7, 2007

oaok posted:

Was wondering if anyone could identify the "Back in style" font in this photo

As people have said, it's not a "font"... but Sudtipos' Hipster Script is vaguely similar in form, if not..um.. grunge? It's the first thing that came to mind.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

toby posted:

Yeah cause hand letter ing doesn't exist anymore

http://iloveligatures.tumblr.com/ <- yummy blog

toby
Dec 4, 2002

hand lettering does not exist and neither do artists. also jokes, jokes do not exist

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

toby posted:

hand lettering does not exist and neither do artists. also jokes, jokes do not exist
that's true

edit: btw, hi toby, good to see you posting :)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

hello het! I do not post much, it seems like a lot of people here are unhappy, and i also don't as much extra time these days. i still read the maybe three-ish threads i somehow still have bookmarked

.random
May 7, 2007

What font did you use? :downsrim:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

http://www.houseind.com/fonts/scrawlfonts

Ashyhouse, see also nastyhouse

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

http://www.sansbullshitsans.com/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Does anyone know what the font used in the Dragon Commander lettering is? I assume it's a paid font, but I may as well ask anyway.

EDIT: Whoops, the "Ascension" one is indeed in a different font. I am dumb.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 5, 2015

.random
May 7, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Does anyone know what the font used in the Ascension and Dragon Commander lettering is? I assume it's a paid font, but I may as well ask anyway.

They look like different fonts to my eye (with Dragon Commander's font being rather terrible, to be honest).

Ascension looks like it might very well be a gently-modified ITC Elan Black (replace the sample text with "ASCENSION" and have a look). There are some small, noticeable changes (the top of the A is flattened, some serifs removed), but the N is a rather distinctive marker.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Partial progress on another font based on an old computer thing

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
2 font identification requests, please.

1) I work with US government documents, and a lot of docs published in the 1950s-early 70s use Futura on their covers and text.

For reference --

Example text in Futura --

But I've noticed that sometimes they use a font that looks very similar to Futura but isn't -- example:

You can see by the angled stem ends (perpendicular sans?) of the capital A and R, the way that J in "January" descends below the baseline, the straight part of the bowl in the capital G, the number 1, etc. that this isn't Futura.

Any clue what it is? (It's not Twentieth Century MT -- I already compared.)

2) Inside this same document with the mystery font on the cover, they use a sans serif font in their headers -- examples:

Is this Futura Bold? It looks very much like it, except Futura Bold's quotation marks are straight not curly?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Print shops often had giant catalogs of fonts with plenty of variants. Some of them they did in house, just modifying Futura or another font to give it their "unique twist", or to avoid having to pay for a real Futura stencil-set. The weird quotations are a giveaway -- they didn't see the quotation designs for Futura so they just picked it up from another font they had lying around.

It's likely that was a print shop's modification of Futura that never got digitized.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Not Futura is Kabel.

As for Funky Futura Bold, Suspicious Dish is probably right. There were also countless knockoffs of typefaces -- when I was doing letterpress at school, we had a Futura Bold that was just labeled as "Egyptian". And then there's this though I'm not quite sure how relevant it actually is.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Interesting, thank you both!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I want to stab you.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I have not read through everything, and I am having my first Irish coffee when I stumbled here... A couple of things, have y'all seen the Helvetica documentary? That was interesting. That, and matching customers fonts is my pet peeve. There are so many, and so many subtle differences, it drives me nuts. loving times or Helvetica. How about comic sans, mofo? Clip art for a logo? Ha loving ha. Hello, goodbye!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Would you print these off on a shirt and wear as is?

You are funny.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
This thread makes me want to laugh and cry. Hey, what is the perfect font to post I'm gay over in gbs?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Curlz

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

ah i see it's time to get this thread's posts in for the month. see ya guys in august!

vvv lol

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 12, 2015

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

thewireguy posted:

This thread makes me want to laugh and cry. Hey, what is the perfect font to post I'm gay over in gbs?

frutiger

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Funny, okay I use benguiat or Helvetica condensed black for tall tight fonts. Anybody got recommendations? I like futura. Deco tech is not applicable to most sign stuff.. Help?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm partial to any of the Erik Spiekermann fonts. Have you tried FF Meta or FF Unit? If those don't fit, Interstate is a nice humanist sans fallback that I use in a lot of projects. One of those should really make your shitposting pop.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm partial to any of the Erik Spiekermann fonts. Have you tried FF Meta or FF Unit? If those don't fit, Interstate is a nice humanist sans fallback that I use in a lot of projects. One of those should really make your shitposting pop.

Thank you sir, I will gently caress off now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Apparently these are all the rage on facebook.