Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rumda posted:

Kemmler was WW1

Kemmler was also WW2. Remember, the Wardens took him out a bunch of times because he kept coming back to life.

The final time was definitely post WW2 when Justin took Bob from the ashes of his hideout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kemmler spent 150 years planning WWI, then came back in WWII planning to create an undead army from mass graves in Eastern Europe. I don't think Kemmler himself was actually taken down until the 1960s.

I should mention, I didn't mean to imply they were intervening against the Nazis; rather that they probably couldn't have even if they'd wanted to because Kemmler and his necromancers were keeping them busy.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

Also the reveal in Severed Streets that every single human being is going to go to Hell when they die, there is no escaping it.

I thought that the reveal was that everyone in London was going to go to hell when they die - was that just me being too literal?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I thought that the reveal was that everyone in London was going to go to hell when they die - was that just me being too literal?

I think this is correct. someone also mentioned that this was a change and it seems like the smiling man is a new development

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

That was my reading of it too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay yeah, the actual sign that makes Quill start screaming says "It's everyone that ever lived in London".

Given how the world that the books take place in works, though, I wouldn't be surprised if every locale has a Hell that everyone goes to.

Jersey would probably be the worst.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Wade Wilson posted:

Okay yeah, the actual sign that makes Quill start screaming says "It's everyone that ever lived in London".

Given how the world that the books take place in works, though, I wouldn't be surprised if every locale has a Hell that everyone goes to.

Jersey is the first hell you go to. Then you die, and wake up in Jersey.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Probably every major city with a history of cruelty and bloodshed, since as far as we can see most the poo poo that goes on in the "magical" realm are reflections of horrible poo poo from the past.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mr.48 posted:

Probably every major city with a history of cruelty and bloodshed, since as far as we can see most the poo poo that goes on in the "magical" realm are reflections of horrible poo poo from the past.

So every major city then, and nearly every medium to large one too.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Rumda posted:

So every major city then, and nearly every medium to large one too.

Speaking as a resident of the American South, also all the small ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be keen to see an urban fantasy series set in Belfast (optionally during the Troubles). That would be interesting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not in Belfast, but Of Blood And Honey is set in the Northern Ireland during the seventies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which side does it take?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You'll know as much as I do if you read the blurb on Amazon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wade Wilson posted:

I really thought there was someone who said that the smiling man was new and that, by implication, this whole everyone goes to hell thing is new also. Related, it's possible it's not really everyone that ever lived (died?) in London because it's the smiling man - dude could just be lying.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Megazver posted:

It's not in Belfast, but Of Blood And Honey is set in the Northern Ireland during the seventies.
Is it any good?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So my friend is reading The Dresden Files for the first time. He's in the middle of Dead Beat (I am stupid excited for the climax for him. I've spoiled it, but he doesn't remember), basically where Harry meets Lash in Bock Ordered Books. And he's already calling Butters picking up the sword. It's crazy.

He thinks Murphy is going to actually get the sword, but he really wants Butters to. It's his crack theory. I love it.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

builds character posted:

I really thought there was someone who said that the smiling man was new and that, by implication, this whole everyone goes to hell thing is new also. Related, it's possible it's not really everyone that ever lived (died?) in London because it's the smiling man - dude could just be lying.

I think it's stated to Quill at some point that it's new, or something. I definitely recall there being a hint or clue about it but it's been a while since I read the book.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Is it any good?

It's a little bit too written by an Irish American with a very poor understanding of the politics there (everyone who is English genuinely does want to kill off all the Irish, because they're all evil Colonial types) but that comes up just seldom enough that you can probably enjoy the rest of the books which are good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

builds character posted:

The Smiling Man is new *relative to* the entity saying that, but still centuries old. It was the rag-wearing god of mischief or whatever that was saying this, though, so he could be lying.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

builds character posted:

The smiling man himself could be new, and its his influence thats turning a more or less random chaotic "afterlife" into a literal hell because thats just how he rolls. He probably came into being as the cultural reflection of the British government or something, which would make him new relative to London's general existence.

Probably way off the mark though.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Apoffys posted:

If I remember right, the Merlin said that McCoy had already refused a position on the senior council at some unspecified time, which is why he wasn't offered the job in Summer Knight (until he insisted). It would be a bit odd for him to murder his friend to get a job he'd already turned down at least once.

Remember, though, that Nemesis changes peoples nature. This drastic change in political interest could be the biggest clue to McCoy's infection. He'd also be perfectly placed as a target, since he's so high up, and people would assume he's taking the position altruistically since he's turned it down before; a'la Senator Palpatine wanting to appear uninterested in supreme power.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Blasphemeral posted:

Remember, though, that Nemesis changes peoples nature. This drastic change in political interest could be the biggest clue to McCoy's infection. He'd also be perfectly placed as a target, since he's so high up, and people would assume he's taking the position altruistically since he's turned it down before; a'la Senator Palpatine wanting to appear uninterested in supreme power.

And if he got infected by Big N, and knowing what he's capable of as the Blackstaff, what if he offed Simon Petrovich (his friend and the senior member he replaced) himself?
Petrovich's stronghold (archangel?) was noted as being wiped off the map, they assumed by Red Court, but maybe it was Eb, who then can turn around and do virtually the same thing to Ortega's stronghold in Death Masks as "revenge" and to keep that conflict going?

This is probably on a 'Mouse is Lash from the future' level of dumb theory. But it's compelling.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If Blackstaff McCoy is infected by Nemesis, Dresden is hosed.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Error 404 posted:

This is probably on a 'Mouse is Lash from the future' level of dumb theory.

Whoa, please tell me this is a real thing because that sounds hilarious.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

OptimusWang posted:

That specific thing? Not that I know of, but it was convenient shorthand for the sorts of insane fan theories that are an amusing staple of each iteration of 'The Dresden Thread'.

IIRC someone did think Mouse and Lash were related somehow.
and another one where a time traveling Harry from the future is Cowl and/or the original Merlin and/or the one who fixed Little Chicago in Proven Guilty, etc.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

OptimusWang posted:

I don't know if that one specifically is real, but I know there was one on the official forums for a long time (and may still be-- I don't bother going there anymore) where a not-insignificant minority had a theory about Mab being Molly from the future-became-past. It was bonkers.

They suffer from discussion topic withdrawal much harder on the JB official forums than we do here, is what I'm saying.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Blasphemeral posted:

I don't know if that one specifically is real, but I know there was one on the official forums for a long time (and may still be-- I don't bother going there anymore) where a not-insignificant minority had a theory about Mab being Molly from the future-became-past. It was bonkers.

They suffer from discussion topic withdrawal much harder on the JB official forums than we do here, is what I'm saying.

I love insane fan theory-ing. I mean we all (most) recognize it's bullshit, but it can be fun conversation.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OptimusWang posted:

Minus the future part, yeah that happened. In an old thread. The person who said it will go unnamed.

I am ashamed, it was me

The future thing happened too, but mostly in relation to the weird stuff in Proven Guilty. Lots of folks thought there was hidden time travel in that one.

Loony theories are a tradition in here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Blasphemeral posted:

She finally gets the guy. :unsmith:

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

Error 404 posted:

IIRC someone did think Mouse and Lash were related somehow.

They are?

Lash began as a copy of a (fallen) angel. Foo dogs like Mouse are related to angels. Uriel straight up calls him "Little Brother" in Ghost Story.

It is kind of interesting to think of how Mouse would have reacted if Harry had taken up the coin.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Blasphemeral posted:

The "change in political interests" was saving Harry's skin. He didn't even go for the position until he learned Simon was dead, remember? The original plan was convince the 3 of them in the parking lot. It wasn't a change since he'd already done so before when he defended harry at his trial, and it stands apart from any need to invoke nemesis.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah and the Circle are the minions in this plane

My theory is that the Circle/Black Council don't really know what they are playing with. From what we can tell of it they are a bunch of diaspora types who have banded together under some sort of "over throw the establishment, let strength determine your role not treaties, enforced restrictions and accidents of history". Magic Unchained basically. And one of the big restrictions is " no outsiders", but breaking that rule gives them a ton of power. So they are invoking the outsiders and their abilities, but I don't think they realize the outsiders have their own plans as well. The consensus is that outsiders are mindless and mad, not "crazy like a fox" and their arrogance isn't going to engender a lot of self reflection that they are getting played by what they think is a mindless daemon. Plus it wouldn't make much sense to be trying to both become the king of your faction and unmake reality at the same time.

My hunch is that Nemesis is tripping up the Circle just as much as it is the other factions, working around and using them as useful idiots to weaken the rest and summon the outsiders into the world, not that the Circle is a knowing party to the Outsiders plans

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

There's a few lines in the series where Dresden talks about setting up demonstrations of him using magic for people (presumably with recording equipment set up far away enough to not get fried as well as eyewitnesses) and everyone who saw it thought it was all an illusion or CGI or similar.

It's why I think the start of the world learning magic is real is either going to be some huge space/atmospheric effect - Mab goes crazier and turns all the clouds in the world into her face to yell at everybody - or a huge monster that can't be hidden and won't dissolve into ectoplasm attacks some reasonably big televised live event, like, say, a baseball match. Bonus points if Harry gets filmed from afar dealing with it magically.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, I just finally caught up and finished A Plain-Dealing Villain in the Daniel Faust series and this series is getting really, genuinely good, easily the best book in the series by far. But.. that cliffhanger, goddamn, when is the next book coming out? :shepspends:

You'd think it'd take a breather after the major plot of the first three books was resolved, but nope, it just kicked it into even higher gear.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 9, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How good is the series? Because I can only find it in print thru Amazon

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

How good is the series? Because I can only find it in print thru Amazon

Daniel Faust? Well, I like it a lot, and I found out about it because all the positive reviews much earlier in this thread, so it's definitely worth reading. The books keep getting stronger with each book, and the first one in itself was already pretty good, so. I saw a couple of negative-ish discussion on the SF/F thread from people who fixated on the mere /idea/ that one of the main characters is a succubus, but considering that she's more 'utterly terrifying badass' instead of 'male fantasy' and the book never gets creepy about her (or about anyone), I never really saw the problem.

And do you mean you can't find a kindle edition or you only want to read it in print? Because the kindle version's right there on Amazon. I'm an ebook guy and am much happier being able to get my cheaper books, quickly.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

As a dissenting voice, I couldn't even make it through 20% of the first book, everything felt really disjointed, the main character's 'voice' was irritating and the writing as a whole sounded incredibly amateur. I'm kind of the minority in the thread though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I stopped reading it a few chapters in. It was inoffensive, but not that great. It might get better if you persevere, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Wolpertinger posted:

And do you mean you can't find a kindle edition or you only want to read it in print? Because the kindle version's right there on Amazon. I'm an ebook guy and am much happier being able to get my cheaper books, quickly.
I prefer print books to e-books and I'd much rather buy from another retailer than Amazon, personally.