Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Strangely enough, this premiere felt even darker than Breaking Bad did when it first started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Strangely enough, this premiere felt even darker than Breaking Bad did when it first started.

It starts with you viewing the life of a completely broken man who goes home to an empty house, pours a drink, and then clandestinely watches his old lawyer commercials.

I could loving believe it when that tape was aired of the kids loving the decapitated head. I knew that this show was going to be heavy on black comedy but I didn't think that much.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's one of the best pilots/premier I've seen

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Awesome premier. I about crapped my pants when Tuco walked out the door.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

thexerox123 posted:

That was so good. I can't wait until tomorrow night's episode.

Is it weird that my favourite part of it all is that it's only the first episode and they've already smashed two windshields? Haha.

I imagine Vince Gilligan asked "how many windshields can we smash?" while breaking the first episode in the writer's room. At this point, it's a running joke that will never get old.

I have to say, I was cautiously optimistic seeing as how this is a spin-off, and I really didn't know how they would pull it off. I know it's just the first episode, but I will never question Vince Gilligan again. That was amazing. And as a longtime fan of Odenkirk going back to Mr. Show, I'm really loving happy to see him continue to play the role he was born to play, and in a lead role. He has become such a great actor.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KilGrey posted:

Awesome premier. I about crapped my pants when Tuco walked out the door.

I knew it was gonna happen and I still lost my poo poo.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I knew it was gonna happen and I still lost my poo poo.

Man am I glad I avoided all spoilers and previews. I knew there was going to be "another important character" from Breaking Bad making an appearance, but I did not see Tuco coming. I busted up laughing in excitement when he came into frame.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Exploder posted:

And as a longtime fan of Odenkirk going back to Mr. Show, I'm really loving happy to see him continue to play the role he was born to play, and in a lead role. He has become such a great actor.

I hear you. No one says stuff like "GOD DAMNIT!" better than Bob Odenkirk.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

The whole scene with Chuck was bleak as hell. Put the cell phone in the mailbox. I'm going to get better some day!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo what an amazing first episode, is this just a single season thing?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Nope, its already got a season 2.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JustTheWorst posted:

In that 'A Look at the Series' video posted above they kind of say both yes and no. Vince Gilligan says he doesn't think you have to have seen BB to enjoy it, and Peter Gould says that there's a lot of things that hardcore fans are really going to enjoy. I'm sure it'll be able to stand on it's own, but there's probably going to be things that don't mean anything to you not having seen BB.

Edit: Look who can't type very fast. It's me.

Never having seen more than the first 2 or 3 episodes of Breaking Bad, this was exceptionally shot, written, acted and cast. It's really good.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't stop cracking up at him calling the defendants knuckleheads.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This show already has some of the best framing I've ever seen in a TV show. Since Breaking Bad, of course.

The lighting in the parking garage, the boardroom...the loving house with the light pointing right onto Michael McKean. I love it. I love it all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
In BB tradition this looks more like movie cinematography than something that was produced for television. And yes the wiki page says this season is 10 eps with another 13 already bought for season 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha a half-page of just "TUCO" posts.

This show is way better than I thought it would be when the idea was first thrown around.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Frostwerks posted:

Never having seen more than the first 2 or 3 episodes of Breaking Bad, this was exceptionally shot, written, acted and cast. It's really good.

You should watch Breaking Bad, for serious, the show will have way more impact on you if you do; just from this first episode. It's a really well-made show straight-off, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Nope, its already got a season 2.

Takes No Damage posted:

In BB tradition this looks more like movie cinematography than something that was produced for television. And yes the wiki page says this season is 10 eps with another 13 already bought for season 2.

:dance:

When I first heard about this I thought maybe they were running a risk of not having quite the same magic as before, but if that first episode was anything to go by then this show is going to be incredible.

Blind Marvin
Feb 13, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

I can't recommend Breaking Bad enough, but honestly, I'd be interested to see what someone thinks of at least the first season without any Breaking Baggage influencing their opinion. That said, knowledge of at least the first season of BB made the final scene the biggest :tviv: moment since the Mountain and the Viper.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That whole opening sequence was of course amazing in Nebraska - I especially loved the wide-angle shot of the mall after Saul had emerged from his Cinnabon to place a lame graphic stand out, with the parquet floor reflecting into infinity between the chrome of the escalators. Perfectly evokes the empty flat wasteland of nothing that is both my experience of Nebraska as a place and what Saul's post-lawyer life appears to be.

Also: that's a Rusty Nail he makes for himself when he gets to his condo in Omaha - Scotch and Drambuie. A man's cocktail, to be sure.

There were so many great lines, too, that just crack me up in retrospect. Like "Near-honor students, all, your Honor!" I was a near-honor student, myself. Also this was mentioned somewhere but the sound design in the silence of that courtroom was amazing, from all the annoying little noises to the sound of the TV being wheeled over to the fact that they even got the high-pitched whining buzz you hear in silent rooms that have that awful flourescent lighting (like courtrooms!). They even got that onto the soundtrack, it's impressive. So many courtrooms don't look like actual courtrooms, too - that looks just like it did the one time I actually went to court to content a speeding ticket.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Great episode, took a little while to come together but man, so glad the breaking bad 'world' is back.

That intro was fantastic too, Saul looks so sad.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
It's up on Netflix already.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Krinkle posted:

I can't stop cracking up at him calling the defendants knuckleheads.

"Buying alcohol while underage, having sex with a severed head. As the old saying goes, 'knuckleheads will be knuckleheads.'."

kaworu posted:

That whole opening sequence was of course amazing in Nebraska - I especially loved the wide-angle shot of the mall after Saul had emerged from his Cinnabon to place a lame graphic stand out, with the parquet floor reflecting into infinity between the chrome of the escalators. Perfectly evokes the empty flat wasteland of nothing that is both my experience of Nebraska as a place and what Saul's post-lawyer life appears to be.

I got this completely too. I imagine that Odenkirk's performance in Nebraska is what helped get the execs on board with him playing a serious character, thus the homage in the beginning.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Structurally it was maybe a little off, especially compared to the masterful BB pilot, but based on the moment to moment I have to echo the excitement here. It's a little disconcerting to see such a familiar tone and style applied to new characters and events, something only made more striking by the flash-forward and nods back to BB. I want to treat this like its own show and it really works better as one, but its hard when the thing keeps nudging me with an elbow. I don't imagine this will be an issue for the writers or viewers for very long though and it doesn't seem like they've lost any of the craft, so it should be a great two-plus seasons.

It's not what I used to bring up when trying to sell the show to people - back when it still needed to be sold - but my favourite part of BB was always the precision of its observations, the little intricate systems of detail that they would set spinning and come back to, never dropping a piece even as the universe expanded outwards. That was still going on here in the courtroom, in the Brother's house, in the skater plan and I imagine the web can only get more complicated from here. Can't wait.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kaworu posted:

That whole opening sequence was of course amazing in Nebraska

Any modern entertainment that opens with an Ink Spots song is going to turn out to be deep black gold, as has been proven for almost 20 years now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm sure it's been discussed but what was the deal with Chuck exactly? Is he a super villain who can't be trusted around electricity?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lycus posted:

Haha a half-page of just "TUCO" posts.

This show is way better than I thought it would be when the idea was first thrown around.

It's got way more potential than I gave it credit for. I went in with a very low bar, but I'd not be unhappy if I went in with a high bar.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed but what was the deal with Chuck exactly? Is he a super villain who can't be trusted around electricity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

basically he's crazy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can't wait for Saul Jimmy to start collecting cellphones.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

RandomPauI posted:

I hear you. No one says stuff like "GOD DAMNIT!" better than Bob Odenkirk.

Odenkirk has always been my favorite swearsmith. His delivery is impeccable.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
With these post-BB black and white scenes, I wonder if Gilligan is going to resist telling us what happens with Jesse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lycus posted:

With these post-BB black and white scenes, I wonder if Gilligan is going to resist telling us what happens with Jesse.

My gut feeling (nothing to base it on at all) is the longer the show goes on, the more likely it is we see post-Breaking Bad stuff. So in my own mind, it's a good sign that it's already been picked up for a second season.

It seems to me that with master lawyer Saul being out there, resenting what his life has become, and Jesse needing to escape the law, there's a story to tell there.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2015

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I am amazed, I expected something OK and got blasted with awesome. I can't wait for the next show.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Nail Rat posted:

My gut feeling (nothing to base it on at all) is the longer the show goes on, the more likely it is we see post-Breaking Bad stuff. So in my own mind, it's a good sign that it's already been picked up for a second season.

It seems to me that with master lawyer Saul being out there, resenting what his life has become, and Jesse needing to escape the law, there's a story to tell there.

Uh how would that work, they don't where each other are or if they are even alive. Best bet for Jesse is in the pre BB part of the show, since he did know Saul before.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zythrst posted:

Uh how would that work, they don't where each other are or if they are even alive. Best bet for Jesse is in the pre BB part of the show, since he did know Saul before.

Uh, I don't know how it would work, that's why it's a potential story. Jesse just being tracked down by the cops a few weeks after the shootout and getting the blame for everything that happened at Jack's ranch seems like a really anticlimactic end for him.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nail Rat posted:

It seems to me that with master lawyer Saul being out there, resenting what his life has become, and Jesse needing to escape the law, there's a story to tell there. It's pretty anticlimactic if the cops just catch up to Jesse a few weeks/months later and he gets the blame for everything that happened at Jack's ranch, while Saul just languishes in obscurity for 25k a year.

Hopefully they never deal with that at all and leave that story finished.

liquorsicc
Oct 5, 2014

Am I the only one who didn't know who the guy with the gun at the end was? I haven't seen Tuco in like six years (I'd recognize his grill though) and I've been watching Weeds and I guess I muddled all those wild criminals Crazy Eight Tuco U-Turn Guillermo together a bit in my head.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Aaron Paul playing a high schooler at this point would be terrible. The story of the main cast of Breaking Bad (that is the White/Schrader family and Jesse) is done and needs to stay done. This show can do all the fleshing out of supporting characters that it wants though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Frankly, I really hope they stay far away from Jesse and Walt. Their story was (extremely well) told and is done. Beefing up the backstory of some of our favorite side characters is great while we dive deep into Saul. Keep the mystery about Gus, but maybe have a few tiny bits of context thrown in for the careful viewer. Maybe a throw-away line about some up and coming drug lord or about a renegade Chilean general. I don't know. But keep it high level.

I'd rather get a lot more into Skinny Pete than Gus, TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

I'll recognize this psychopath for the rest of my life. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!

• Locked thread