Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Got to see Oliver do stand-up on New Year's Eve. It was pretty great to see him bring his style of comedy in a completely different format. He also had quite a few jokes stocked specifically for Boston/New England, which gave it extra charm.

The guy has a really entertaining perspective on the USA, too. His jokes all have the underlying idea that the only unifying trait that Americans share is being defiant and spiteful, which explains a lot about the jokes he writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

inthesto posted:

Got to see Oliver do stand-up on New Year's Eve. It was pretty great to see him bring his style of comedy in a completely different format. He also had quite a few jokes stocked specifically for Boston/New England, which gave it extra charm.

The guy has a really entertaining perspective on the USA, too. His jokes all have the underlying idea that the only unifying trait that Americans share is being defiant and spiteful, which explains a lot about the jokes he writes.

He loves his jet skis. He also had an amazing burn on Bill Cosby.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

He loves his jet skis. He also had an amazing burn on Bill Cosby.

What was the Cosby burn? Kinda wondering if it can top the one he dropped on The Bugle when talking about having learned about seals raping penguins. "Seals are like Bill Cosby, they're universally loved and naturally funny but that has covered up some absolutely unforgivable behavior in the past."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That was exactly the joke, actually.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
Season 2 Promo I'm hyped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EtSBxm0S4

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So this comes back on Sunday. A very pleasant surprise.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

So basically the same.... HOORAH! :love:

Although I dunno the crime fighting pony seems like it could of been cool

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

He called Boondock Saints a terrible movie, just lost a few thousand viewers.

Boondock Saints is an incredibly inept and bad film that really only appeals to people who don't know better. Everything it tries to do and be was done better before and after it. It tries (and hugely fails) so hard that most of the runtime induces a gigantic cringe for me. It really doesn't help that it's unlike-ably juvenile either.

I understand that people like it and I think I even understand why, but it makes me sad.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Boondock Saints is on the long list of movies I can never rewatch as an adult because it's probably as bad as everyone says.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

You are watching it wrong be drunk and flip off your brain instant classic. Also Willem Dafoe is fantastic in anything he does.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

InfiniteZero posted:

Boondock Saints is an incredibly inept and bad film that really only appeals to people who don't know better. Everything it tries to do and be was done better before and after it. It tries (and hugely fails) so hard that most of the runtime induces a gigantic cringe for me. It really doesn't help that it's unlike-ably juvenile either.

I understand that people like it and I think I even understand why, but it makes me sad.

Boondock Saints was loving fantastic, when I was a college freshman.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Cerepol posted:

You are watching it wrong be drunk and flip off your brain instant classic.

This actually supports John Oliver's point about the film.

Also Dafoe couldn't save some of the working-actor poo poo he's been in, like XXX2 or even the Spider-Man films, (and Boondock Saints) but I agree with you that he's great.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

InfiniteZero posted:

This actually supports John Oliver's point about the film.

Also Dafoe couldn't save some of the working-actor poo poo he's been in, like XXX2 or even the Spider-Man films, (and Boondock Saints) but I agree with you that he's great.

Never forget Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The best part about Oliver, is that he thinks that his celebrity is one of the most patently ludicrous things imaginable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

InfiniteZero posted:

You could always do them a favor by turning them onto a genuinely good film in the same vein like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

inthesto posted:

I saw him back in November, and he did this bit about weird things around the country. When told about a local, charming festival, he had to stop the show and google Frozen Dead Guy Days. The whole show was funny, but that was a standout moment for me.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
John Oliver is featured on the Bullseye podcast this week. I haven't listened yet I just saw that it popped up on my feed. Potentially an old interview or more likely John is going to be turning up on a lot of stuff this week.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cool kids inc. posted:

I saw him back in November, and he did this bit about weird things around the country. When told about a local, charming festival, he had to stop the show and google Frozen Dead Guy Days. The whole show was funny, but that was a standout moment for me.

he brought that up on the bugle

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

cool kids inc. posted:

Yep he did the same in Boston. He had to look up pants off t ride.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

cool kids inc. posted:

Is that the corpse that's frozen in dry ice somewhere in a Colorado cabin?

A friend of mine wrote an article about that, and even turned it into a little temporary museum exhibit here in Amsterdam. A truly insane story.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 5, 2015

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
He brought that up in the finishing show in New York, too. It was hilarious in conjunction with him shutting down the "Woo!"s in the audience that popped up with every place he named.

"No, I am not taking that for Minneapolis. You know why."
"If I didn't accept that reaction for Minneapolis, what the gently caress makes you think it's okay for Virginia?"

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
https://www.theverge.com/2015/2/4/7976983/john-oliver-interview-best-of-last-week-tonight

This was an interesting read.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't believe they only had one researcher last year.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched the Miss America bit maybe 5 or 6 times now, and it's still amazing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Can this be seen live on HBOGO or do you need to wait a day again?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That high school boyfriend joke was just perfect.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
So was the PoliSci major joke.

I'm a PoliSci major :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That entire segment about doctors and pharma reps was great, but now my mom is using it to argue that we shouldn't trust doctors when they talk about vaccinations, either :cripes:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DaveWoo posted:

That entire segment about doctors and pharma reps was great, but now my mom is using it to argue that we shouldn't trust doctors when they talk about vaccinations, either :cripes:

Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who says "This is the worst time to do this story," because there's always going to be a reason to not do a story, and it never feels good to censor yourself because of what crazy people might think. But doing a story about doctors getting payoffs from Big Pharma at a time when anti-vaxxers are looking for any reason to double down on their beliefs? Gotta admit, tasted a little sour going down.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"If something is a joke on Scrubs, you know it's common knowledge."

Amazing. Welcome back, John.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My parents are no longer practicing doctors, so I can't use the Open Payments website to see their shady kickbacks. I did look at the info of a family friend who's a doctor and she's received a whopping $105 for nine transactions, all involving food and beverage. So she's doing things right, at least.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I'm not sure if this was common knowledge before this article, but 35 shows this year? wow, that's completely brilliant. what was it, like a 12 show run last year?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

dr_rat posted:

I'm not sure if this was common knowledge before this article, but 35 shows this year? wow, that's completely brilliant. what was it, like a 12 show run last year?

He did 24 episodes last year, starting from the last week of April through the beginning of November.

Thank goodness this is back, that was a painful 3 month break.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DivisionPost posted:

But doing a story about doctors getting payoffs from Big Pharma at a time when anti-vaxxers are looking for any reason to double down on their beliefs? Gotta admit, tasted a little sour going down.

PhRMA doesn't give two shits about vaccines because they're the least profitable and most heavily regulated part of the drug industry. One boner or cholesterol pill can account for twice as much revenue as an entire vaccine division.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who says "This is the worst time to do this story," because there's always going to be a reason to not do a story, and it never feels good to censor yourself because of what crazy people might think. But doing a story about doctors getting payoffs from Big Pharma at a time when anti-vaxxers are looking for any reason to double down on their beliefs? Gotta admit, tasted a little sour going down.

If you're looking for more on this sort of thing, Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre is an excellent read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Pharma-companies-mislead-patients/dp/0007350740

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

So was the PoliSci major joke.

I'm a PoliSci major :(

Graduated last June, moved back in with my parents last September.

Still laughed though :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a creative writing major; the only people I can make fun of are philosophy students.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Welp looks like John Oliver managed to break http://www.openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/ . The site is now down.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Try this link: http://www.cms.gov/openpayments/
I got to that one just now, but I definitely couldn't get to it at 11:30PM last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad The Onion's actors are still finding work.

• Locked thread