Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

you can also put together an adapter from a microcontroller board like an Arduino and open source software, I don't remember its name offhand but there's a "universal USB keyboard adapter" project that does ADB, Mac Plus, Sun, NeXT, Symbolics, and more.

that would also let you adjust the command/option key mapping for use with scrub-tier OSes if you really must

i was looking at this. the problem is i don't have the time right now to gently caress around with a maker project.

i like the keyboard and i'd use it if it were plug and play, but i'm not up for soldering and programming a microcontroller just for this.

also that alt/option and os-specific key are clearly labeled, they key position is just swapped. that's no problem since the apple keyboards have always been like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

nah this is the best dell (and all) keyboard of all time

lmao that looks like poo poo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the best things in life were made for $0.23

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that keyboard is a piece of poo poo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hey so i got both of the powebooks to boot, bad news is the 1400's drive exploded so now it boots off of a 4 gb compact flash card in a pc card adapter

anyway while i was getting the pismo set up i noticed a port on the 1400 i don't recognize, it's the one on the left

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Forums Terrorist posted:

hey so i got both of the powebooks to boot, bad news is the 1400's drive exploded so now it boots off of a 4 gb compact flash card in a pc card adapter

anyway while i was getting the pismo set up i noticed a port on the 1400 i don't recognize, it's the one on the left

that's video out. good luck finding an adapter.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Elder Postsman posted:

that's video out. good luck finding an adapter.

is it video out or one of the goofy aaui ethernet plugs? also why is a bunch of the bezel missing?

also that square scsi plug :allears:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

is it video out or one of the goofy aaui ethernet plugs?

also that square scsi plug :allears:

you could install an option video card in the 1400. aaui looks completely different.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah its a proprietary video port, here's the cable, first item on the page:

http://www.oldapplestuff.com/MacParts.html

thing is you still need to get a 15-pin to VGA adapter after that, think it's the part right below

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

neat

does the card do anything if i don't plug an external monitor in?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

soak up power maybe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

yeah its a proprietary video port, here's the cable, first item on the page:

http://www.oldapplestuff.com/MacParts.html

thing is you still need to get a 15-pin to VGA adapter after that, think it's the part right below

i have a question op why didnt apple just put a normal vga plug ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

i have a question op why didnt apple just put a normal vga plug ?

because apple is a special snowflake and had to have six different video connectors that no one else used

you should see what they did instead of dvi

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

infernal machines posted:

because apple is a special snowflake and had to have six different video connectors that no one else used

you should see what they did instead of dvi

they actually came out the same year iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

they actually came out the same year iirc

yeah and it's pin-for-pin dvi but with power thrown in for no good reason and a different shaped connector

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hurf durf gently caress yo standards

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
whats up with apple and their freakin plugs?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

all 18 of them

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

yeah and it's pin-for-pin dvi but with power thrown in for no good reason and a different shaped connector

oh i meant the vga plug and the apple 15 pin equivalent from the 80s

but yeah adc too

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

adc was so they could make money selling Apple-specific monitors and jobs decreed that he hated too many cables so why not put power, video, and USB in the same cable

adc was only in desktops BTW apple never shipped a lappy with ADC, those got a real dvi port, or mini-dvi if you were unlucky, they stopped doing ADC in 2006 so good job bitching about seven years ago

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

stop doing this

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

but strongbad says it (also a character from 2006 i guess)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

they stopped doing ADC in 2006 so good job bitching about seven years ago

YOSPOS › only post itt if you used a mac before os x

:ironicat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

but strongbad says it

good job using memes from seven years ago

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

YOSPOS › only post itt if you used a mac before os x

:ironicat:

did you? i know i did

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
what should i do with a mac lc ii with a pds ethernet card and a 250 mb scsi drive in it. i think it has 8 mb ram

in before trash it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

download 250 MB worth of anime with icab? that should be about a minute's worth of hd tentacles

or maybe just make it an oregon trail machine

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

good job using memes from seven years ago

pretty sure that's more like 10+ years ago

might as well throw in "why you throw chip" while you're there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

what should i do with a mac lc ii with a pds ethernet card and a 250 mb scsi drive in it. i think it has 8 mb ram

in before trash it

no fpu, can't run a/ux

junk it

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

no fpu, can't run a/ux

junk it

yep, LCII is a road apple. dump it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the lcII was a good looking computes at least. lol @ the 16 bit bus though

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the only kinda neat thing about the LC was that you could get a full-on IIe card for it. LCIII finally got a 32-bit system bus but it was still a piece of poo poo.

fun LC fact: despite being 3 years newer than the macintosh II, it was slower by a large margin thanks to that 16-bit bus.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

THC posted:

"what should that object be? what on earth should it look like?"

whoa what kimd of magical ipad air 2 is this with a physical orientation lock

i would pay an obscene amount of money for it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ADC owned

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

whats up with apple and their freakin plugs?

:)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beeftweeter posted:

whoa what kimd of magical ipad air 2 is this with a physical orientation lock

i would pay an obscene amount of money for it

I think its called "holding an ipad mini 3 closer to your face"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Thanks Ants posted:

I think its called "holding an ipad mini 3 closer to your face"

oh duh

i didnt realize that they used the same shiny bezel design on the ipad mini because i have no interest in it at all and the ipad mini 2 is hilariously dumb

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the mini 3 only has 1GB of ram tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my mom wanted a mini b/c the big one didnt fit in her purse. thats teh use case i reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

the ipad mini 2 is hilariously dumb

Smythe posted:

my mom wanted a mini b/c the big one didnt fit in her purse. thats teh use case i reckon

:colbert:

• Locked thread