Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I see “licensing deal from BBC Worldwide,” think to myself “BBC is testing the waters,” think to myself “please get this right, Big Finish,” and then think to myself “I should really pick up a copy of UNIT:Dominion,” shouldn’t I?

In any case, I choose to see this as the door to new Who audios opening JUST a crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

. . . . . posted:

I see “licensing deal from BBC Worldwide,” think to myself “BBC is testing the waters,” think to myself “please get this right, Big Finish,” and then think to myself “I should really pick up a copy of UNIT:Dominion,” shouldn’t I?

In any case, I choose to see this as the door to new Who audios opening JUST a crack.

Don't get too close to that crack...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interesting that it's just Kate, and not Osgood as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think you can zombify someone if they're dust.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh my loving God, finally a chance for her to go on endlessly about her dad in audio!

Don't forget plastic mannequins! Classic enemy returns.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't get too close to that crack...

Why? It turned out fine (well, Roman) for him in the end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Well the rest of the cast hasn't been announced.

The other interesting thing is that they are using the New Who Autons. I know it's a legal grey area, but it's so obviously in the New Who world that if it was just the grey area letting them do it I don't think they would be so blatant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

Well the rest of the cast hasn't been announced.

The other interesting thing is that they are using the New Who Autons. I know it's a legal grey area, but it's so obviously in the New Who world that if it was just the grey area letting them do it I don't think they would be so blatant.

BF have been using the nuWho Daleks..?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Big Finish had Nick Briggs first, so really it's New Who who've been using BF Daleks. :colbert:

EDIT: Today's TARDIS Eruditorum is literally over 99,000 words long. More than your average-lenghth novel.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 9, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, but in this case it's seemingly being advertised, sold, and announced as being part of the New Who world, with the design of the Autons being further evidence of that. I know that they negotiate individual usage of New Who designs but in this case it's another sign that the BBC are willingly and knowingly letting them make a product that's based in the New Who universe, not that Big Finish found a legal loophole and are exploiting it.

Sure, the legal loophole might be why they are using Kate, but everything about the presentation says that it's a bit more than that, and probably a little bit more of an open door into the world of New Who than we knew they had yesterday.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about this development and simply hope that it means.... aw gently caress it....

NICK BRIGGS CONFIRMED AS SHOWRUNNER FOR SEASON 11.

That felt good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Forktoss posted:

Big Finish had Nick Briggs first, so really it's New Who who've been using BF Daleks. :colbert:

EDIT: Today's TARDIS Eruditorum is literally over 99,000 words long. More than your average-lenghth novel.

Whenever the Daleks appear on a BF cover they're clearly the old series ones, too. Nick Briggs was just the go-to guy for Dalek voices when the revival started.

I'm really interested if any of the Doctors will appear in the Kate Stewart audio, because that would really be interesting, having old series characters directly interacting with new ones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the difference between NewWho Autons and OldWho Autons?

They're clearly using the OldWho Nestene tentacles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

One audio can only handle so many bad characters.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MikeJF posted:

What's the difference between NewWho Autons and OldWho Autons?

They're clearly using the OldWho Nestene tentacles.

It's because the cover is using the "new" Auton design, rather than their original designs. They normally don't do that, as the Daleks and Cybermen still look like they did in the classic series on covers and stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

cargohills posted:

It's because the cover is using the "new" Auton design, rather than their original designs. They normally don't do that, as the Daleks and Cybermen still look like they did in the classic series on covers and stuff.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gallifrey VI is a... special case.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Apart from that, then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cargohills posted:

There's a design? They're mannequins.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MikeJF posted:

At least there's progress on that front. In my day, they were called "dummies."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The piece on the BF site does have them explicitly say they're being allowed to play in the New Series sandbox.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the same sort that were used for the Autons in "Rose".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

At least there's progress on that front. In my day, they were called "dummies."

It's like Mannequin on the Move wasn't the 80s smash it deserves to be.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Someone on the Big Finish forums noticed that the final of the 4 scheduled box sets for this UNIT series will be coming out in 2017 - after the current Doctor Who contract expires. I think we're going to be seeing some very big announcements in the next couple of weeks.

EDIT: Some more big announcements. Already the past few weeks have had some huge ones.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

It's like Mannequin on the Move wasn't the 80s smash it deserves to be.

I can't quite crystallize or explain why this post was so drat funny to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The piece on the BF site does have them explicitly say they're being allowed to play in the New Series sandbox.

Wow. This could be big news. You never know, we may seen Tenth Doctor Adventures in the next couple of years if all goes well. That's sooner than I expected (if, of course, everything works out well and they are testing the water, but it seems kind of like that's the direction they're going).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

well holy poo poo:

:vince:

Apparently contract negotiations for actual Revival Doctor adventures are stalled around an issue with David Tennant. Briggs wants him to do 10 stories a year and Tennant refuses to budge on his demands of 10 stories a month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe it's the Zygon in Kate Stewart's form? Probably more likable than the real Kate Stewart.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

:vince:

Apparently contract negotiations for actual Revival Doctor adventures are stalled around an issue with David Tennant. Briggs wants him to do 10 stories a year and Tennant refuses to budge on his demands of 10 stories a month.

"And Peter has to be on every fifth story, Colin on every seventh and eighth, Sly can come in during the third, and Tom- well he's welcome any time."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

"...and Tom- well he's welcome any time."

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So in the past few weeks, we've had a final adventure for Six and a Kate led UNIT story explicitly during the Revival.

Anything else I'm missing? Or does DoctorWhat get a final wish on his magic lamp?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is either the stuff of nightmares or the things that dreams are made of.

I can't decide which.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please don't post pictures of my house on the forums.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Please don't post pictures of my house on the forums.

Now be fair, that could be any house at any time in any country.

Tom :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Now be fair, that could be any house at any time in any country.

Tom :allears:

Someone reloaded his HIGNFY appearance onto YouTube. It's great, especially this scene.

http://youtu.be/Wxsw03U3eCw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would love to say that I would buy Tom Baker a round, but he is very big on buying the rounds for other people himself, so he'd probably be buying it for me, if I was fortunate enough to stumble into a pub he was visiting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Someone reloaded his HIGNFY appearance onto YouTube. It's great, especially this scene.

http://youtu.be/Wxsw03U3eCw

Oh God, I forgot that was Chris Addison.

The bit where he blurts out (paraphrased),"All my life all I ever wanted to do was meet you and now you're doing knob jokes!" was also hilarious.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I get an email newsletter from BF, and got one today about UNIT, and couldn't help notice this particular wording;

quote:

Big Finish proudly present Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart in UNIT: The New Series; The first Big Finish release from the 2005 revival of Doctor Who!

In the first of four box sets, UNIT: Extinction, Kate Stewart and her UNIT team face off against the terror of the Nestene Consiousness, and its army of plastic Autons. A full cast, five disc set from writers Matt Fitton and Andrew Smith!

Available November 2015.

Bolding mine.

Also, the email was sent under the header "The New Series".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 9, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

This is pretty much just the best news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Truly, this is a frabjous day!

• Locked thread