Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

ZeeToo posted:

Pearls Before Swine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP4S6V_1JQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set asks something I've actually wondered about myself.

Working Daze apparently takes place in the northeast.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set asks something I've actually wondered about myself.

Deer (like a lot of animals) presumably have dichromatic vision, with two cone type cells instead of our three. So they see in colour, it's just not the same colour we do.

The camo still breaks up your silhouette anyway, which is half the point.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It's really quite impressive that a man of Skip's girth doesn't even displace the sheets in bed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt and Juliet Jones
Thank you! :sax:

Bloom County

Aw, look at Steve accurately predict the resurgence of indie comix in the early '90s.

Calvin And Hobbes

Aw, look at groggy little Calvin.

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

Deer (like a lot of animals) presumably have dichromatic vision, with two cone type cells instead of our three. So they see in colour, it's just not the same colour we do.

The camo still breaks up your silhouette anyway, which is half the point.

Neat! I learned something!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There seems to be a lot of debate about whether deer can see in UV, and how much, and whether that makes using washing products that add a lot of blue (to make your whites whiter) makes you stand out like you're an early 90's raver under a blacklight.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The art of Negotiation Comix.

Okay, we know that Poncho is planning to try and unscrew Chazz' skull while he sleeps or something, but all Chazz knows is that Poncho has stopped being Poncho. Why would he ever want to fix that?

Ballard Street

We thought it would be the dogs. We ejected them from our houses, turned our backs on hundreds of thousands of years of loyalty and companionship out of fear that they might usurp us. Take our jobs, our spouses, our lives. We were so cowardly and covetous that we betrayed our best friends based on the baseless suspicion that they might betray us first. We destroyed our humanity that it might not be stolen.

God help us, we thought it would be the dogs.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the Bolt/Jones catch-up, Julet Esqu!

Did you know that back when Cul de Sac was running, the Sunday strip got its own piece of real estate in the Washington Post. Instead of being squashed into the comics section with everyone else, it would run in the magazine or the back of the arts section.

When Mike Du Jour took over from CdS, it inherited the same special treatment for Sunday strips.

Which, I guess, is why I find this strip especially aggravating. It's a padded-out gag that would be dumb and lazy even as a regular three-panel job. But the WaPo still treated it like it was something special, not because of anything Lester has done, but because of Richard Thompson.

In conclusion: gently caress Lester.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Skip is such a certified nerd that he would stock his man cave with last gen consoles.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Aw, look at Steve accurately predict the resurgence of indie comix in the early '90s.

Hm. Is that the first non-Doonesbury use of the word "homosexual" in a daily comic strip?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Time for some bad news: this is where my source of Prince Valiant ends. I don't really have time to buy or scan any more, but I'll always keep the rest of the comics up at http://savaliant.imgur.com/

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Time for some bad news: this is where my source of Prince Valiant ends. I don't really have time to buy or scan any more, but I'll always keep the rest of the comics up at http://savaliant.imgur.com/

Tell us what books have the remaining strips so we can buy them for you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life
So Barry is Intelligent Life's Tiffany.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Everyone will be back to making GBS threads on Barry at work the next day because he's such a d-bag for calling Skip when he's sick and asking if there's anything he can get him.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/9/2004

Why is this funny? Is that a blues lick being played on a violin as if it were a guitar? Oh Great Master... I can only hope to aspire to your levels of pretentiousness.

It's not a joke, it's ~art.~ Because the musical staff has four spaces and five lines like the violin has four strings and therefor five spaces you see. It is about how music moves between its abstract representation on the page into the physical mechanial reality as it is played. There is a synthesis between instrument and the ethereal. You beefwit. :brookesay:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Considering how most of the "funny" comics are terribly unfunny and most of the "drama" comics are terribly boring, Brooke's "art" comics aren't actually too bad.

(if he doesn't draw faces)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I pretty much agree, I just wanted to remind people that "beefwit" is a serious term that Brooke used in earnest to describe people who didn't like the Romeo and Juliet adaptation from a million years ago

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As long as you don't focus on how that hand is apparently unattached to an arm.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I thought beefwit was a weird word. Leave it to Brooke. What a foob.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I asked my kid, who's pursuing a masters in Music Ed.: "Why is this funny?". He looks at it, and says "I have no idea. It's not funny. It's not really anything." So yeah, there's that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Yeah, Tiff. He built up a bunch of muscle lugging those grannys' walkers around.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Dun DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNN!!! (In case you forgot, Peter broke his rib when a robot fell on him.)

Juliet Jones

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Dun DUN DUUUUUNNNNNNN!!! (In case you forgot, Peter broke his rib when a robot fell on him.)

Ok, hang on, wait.

Throwing a skilsaw blade shouldn't hurt...unless you have a broken rib??? Mysterio, you rear end....

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Evanses finally figured out a way to make us hate Tiffany.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

What kind of amateurish store do you go to that takes till Febuary to put the easter poo poo out lady? My local woolies has had that poo poo out since exactly the day they took down the xmas poo poo. I saw loving hot cross buns before new years day. The lindt rabbits have been out on display since halloween with various ever-changing posters next to them, where they'll remain until after mothers day.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

She's got to be faking it. Maybe she's planning to rob him blind or murder him. We just have to think positive.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Yeah, Tiff. He built up a bunch of muscle lugging those grannys' walkers around.
You forgot that hard labor raking up sticks and rocks in Peru. Rosa probably looks like Rosie the Riveter herself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RandomFerret posted:

The art of Negotiation Comix.

Okay, we know that Poncho is planning to try and unscrew Chazz' skull while he sleeps or something, but all Chazz knows is that Poncho has stopped being Poncho. Why would he ever want to fix that?

Because Chazz understands that this lull before the storm signifies that Poncho is probably planning to try and unscrew his skull while he sleeps or something.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Um...uh...It's ....Dooon't....Just BACK OFF YOU SLUT

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life
What the hell do either of you need a "man cave" for anyway? You're both single and live alone.

Darrin Bell

The guy has two comics and he uses both of them to make the same dumb argument on the same day. :rolleyes:

Herb and Jamaal

"Devices", not phones. And I guess watches aren't devices. :roflolmao:

WuMo

What's wrong with February? :confused:

And the Sally Forth strips we missed were pretty good, so I thought I'd share the highlights.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Um...uh...It's ....Dooon't....Just BACK OFF YOU SLUT

Is this leading up to him coming out of the closet?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I decided it would be good to at least tell you what happened in the other classic soaps. Really did not expect Radio Patrol to be the strip I'd want to post the most samples of.

Phantom Classic
When last we saw Old Phantom, he was all like, "Who built this road through the jungle?" and the natives were all like, "We don't know; don't look at it." He chases and subsquently crashes a "devil car" and finds some tribesmen smuggling stuff. Cut to some white dudes (Bull and Shorty) who, of course, have been putting the tribesmen up to it, using some of them as slave labor and using tribal superstitions to keep the others quiet. Phantom goes to tell the cops and they in turn tell him to gently caress right off. He does, but not before skull-marking their window-sill. The cops do start investigating, though, which brings us to today:

In Radio Patrol, we missed a cat fight. :(

When this mess hits the papers, Pat gets in trouble for the whole business and ends up turning in his badge. Radio Patrol has secretly been an 80's cop movie the whole time.

Pat's child sidekick gives a good pep talk and Pat decides to go after the bad guys after all. As if by magic, the bad guys sense that Pat is back on the case and send him a love note via brick-through-the-window. This does little to dampen Pat's enthusiasm and he secretly re-instates himself in the police force. One kid/dog/car chase later, and we get today's scene, which kind of makes sense in context:

I'm not entirely sure where Pat is or what he is supposed to have been doing while his kid gets his neck broken.

Rip Kirby is easy to recap because there's a big chase and, while beautifully drawn, there's not much to talk about plot-wise because it's all chasing. Rip and Desmond chase Hi and Fi around and there's lots of action, a little flooding, and even some death-defying. In the end Hi and Fi are nearly drowned, but captured, and that lady who got shot survives. Ri Kirby is victorious! Time for a new storyline!

No wonder he's famous! Clearly this guy is a laugh riot. There is a little bit of hilarious mad-cappery with Giggles and his staff, but in today's strip we get down to brass tacks and start to introduce what this plot will probably be about :

Big Ben Bolt

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

Really? Because all I can feel is hate toward how Gunther is going to be horrible toward her for being nice/making a pass/being lonely at a new school, and then the audience is supposed to agree with him being an rear end in a top hat as he was toward Rosa.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

:barf:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh, Kelly. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mandrake the Magician (September 6th and 13th, 1942)

It took a while, but it looks like the plot is finally moving forward.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wait... did... did something bad just happen in Rex Morgan? :aaa:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

The conversation must have been pretty bad if a stroll through a minefield was the better option.

Pibgorn

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

That face in the final panel is amazing.

• Locked thread